Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

39 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

May I suggest that the current Viking Star pax and also those boarding in L/A consider the impact we experienced from a social media post relating to COVID onboard, and cease posting daily updates on infections. I suggest this include CC, the other unmentionable faces and personal blogs.

While we are all interested, I for one have no desire to know the daily status of COVID onboard, if it increases the potential of Viking completing the current itinerary.

I beg to differ.  Isn’t the title of this thread “Live from Viking World Cruise”?  I would like to know everything ONBOARD, including Covid status and links to personal blogs of CURRENT sailing.  It is nice to know a little of others’ previous similar experience and occasionally thrown-in wisdom, but not to dwell on own topics on and on and pages after pages.

Please, current guests of World Cruise, keep posting here your onboard experience.  We, who are interested in or will be on future Viking World Cruise would like to know about your experience on World Cruise and especially in current, challenging Covid environment. No need to start a separate thread.  Would OP agree?

• Like 10

Dreamercruise, 

I highly recommend Viking World Cruises.  As long as the experience is what we had on earlier Viking WCs.  We have two future WCs booked with Viking the first due to embark 12/22/22.  Like you we wish to know how the total experience is being handled.  If it was today we were embarking we would cancel.  If the incessant testing, masking, etc. still prevail later in '22 we shall regrettably cancel.  Can't see paying thousands of dollars to be put through excessive "safety" measures and then run the risk of being put ashore in lots of distant and sometimes third world, countries.  Just seems a bad bet to us.  So you are not alone in your concerns.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dreamercruise said:

I beg to differ.  Isn’t the title of this thread “Live from Viking World Cruise”?  I would like to know everything ONBOARD, including Covid status and links to personal blogs of CURRENT sailing.  It is nice to know a little of others’ previous similar experience and occasionally thrown-in wisdom, but not to dwell on own topics on and on and pages after pages.

Please, current guests of World Cruise, keep posting here your onboard experience.  We, who are interested in or will be on future Viking World Cruise would like to know about your experience on World Cruise and especially in current, challenging Covid environment. No need to start a separate thread.  Would OP agree?

Well, I guess, with respect to World Cruises, the difference is that I post from personal experience that, "Loose Lips Sink Ships".

Having already completed 2 World Cruises and having another booked, I am also interested in reading about the pax experience on this year's Viking WC. For pax satisfaction, I also hope they miss less ports and the cruise lasts longer than the 2020, especially in these even tougher times. As I noted before, if it improves, even slightly, the potential to miss less ports and have the ship dock in Tilbury with pax aboard, I am more than happy to not know daily COVID counts. For you, knowing the daily COVID count is clearly more inportant than the potential implications to the cruise.

BTW - On my earlier post, I only referred to our personal experience, but I note the 2020 Costa or MSC WC ship had a similar experience. I read reports from the Captain indicating the ship had zero COVID cases aboard, but since media outlets were reporting they did have COVID, no ports let them dock. I believe they sailed from Australia back to Italy with no ports of call, except for victuals & bunkers, basically almost identical to the Viking WC.

In summary, I have provided the information and it is up to the current pax what they want to post, based on how it has impacted previous cruises and has the potential to impact their cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

If the incessant testing, masking, etc. still prevail later in '22 we shall regrettably cancel.  Can't see paying thousands of dollars to be put through excessive "safety" measures and then run the risk of being put ashore in lots of distant and sometimes third world, countries.  Just seems a bad bet to us.  So you are not alone in your concerns.  

Though not on this WC, we are on the FLL to LA segment.  Two of six ports canceled.  Constant masking.  Constant worrying.  This morning we canceled our Sept. 22 Med. cruise and rebooked for 2023.  I told my husband this cruise just feels “joyless.”  So sorry to have to report this. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

For you, knowing the daily COVID count is clearly more inportant than the potential implications to the cruise.

Like you, I do not want details about daily infection counts. I expected some Covid positive cases during the first few sail days, because it takes a few days for exposure from transit (from home to embarkation) to surface.  I have been counting on Viking’s strict protocol such as daily testing, mask wearing requirement, 100% vaccination requirement, bubble shore excursions, additional Covid test prior to embarkation, and other measures to keep me safe.  Any Covid positives after the first 2-3 days, if resulted from bubble shore excursions, kind of kills my theory/assumption of feeling safe while onboard and low probability of denied port visits.  I just need information for my own assessment of risks.  Our sharing Covid statistics on CC does not change my high opinion of Viking.  What is important to me is how a company addresses and prevents surprised challenges.

All of us who post our comments are fearful of backlash. Last thing I want to see happen is that people may be discouraged from sharing “bad news”, which are importantly helpful for others’ assessment of risks.

Your knowledge are wisdom are much appreciated here.  Please continue to enlighten us.

• Like 1

The Covid protocols are not a bother. We feel safer onboard than we would at home. The ship does not feel crowded. We have had no problem going to dinner each night without a reservation. However, the two specialty restaurants are booked each night. While we are on the WC, our calendar on the Viking Onboard App only goes up to LA. It is a little annoying as we have no access to our itinerary or shore excursions. That should change when we get to LA. 

Now on a serious note, the “music” they pipe through the ship is horrible. It is just incoherent music on some kind of loop. Why not play real music? You know, with a beginning and an end. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, larry1365 said:

Regent today cancelled their world cruise. Will leave SFO and go to the Caribbean and Amazon for segments adding up to 120 days. Not aware that Viking has announced a final WC itinerary. 

Happy travels to those on the Viking WC. We’re here in San Francisco and noticed that the Regent Mariner - which was about to embark on its WC - had been quietly docked at the cruise terminal for three days. Something was definitely amiss, and we share the disappointment in the odd turn of events.

At the end of the day, I think all we want is safe travels.

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Though not on this WC, we are on the FLL to LA segment.  Two of six ports canceled.  Constant masking.  Constant worrying.  This morning we canceled our Sept. 22 Med. cruise and rebooked for 2023.  I told my husband this cruise just feels “joyless.”  So sorry to have to report this. 

I had the same feeling.  I came back from the 12/23 West Indies Explorer.  We just had one port canceled.  The Covid safety protocol is very important.  It's the right thing to do.  But the constant worrying did impact my overall experience.  I'm thinking about canceling our June Alaska cruise if things are not improved by then.  I don't want to sail on another cruise feeling more stressful than carefree.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sleepybobo said:

I don't want to sail on another cruise feeling more stressful than carefree.  

And the funny thing is, I didn’t feel this way at all on our Iceland trip this past summer.  We were the first cruise doing Iceland, there were virtually no cases there then.  A month later all that changed.  But on this one, I stressed over pre cruise tests, I stressed over flights (the next day 5000 were canceled) every morning I stress when we spit in a tube.  I don’t want to be isolated on the ship, or worse, in a foreign country.  Yet this is what we signed up for.  We are taking a break.  If things are better in the fall, we will try to book something.  We are doing Alaska in 2023.  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

And the funny thing is, I didn’t feel this way at all on our Iceland trip this past summer.  We were the first cruise doing Iceland, there were virtually no cases there then.  A month later all that changed.  But on this one, I stressed over pre cruise tests, I stressed over flights (the next day 5000 were canceled) every morning I stress when we spit in a tube.  I don’t want to be isolated on the ship, or worse, in a foreign country.  Yet this is what we signed up for.  We are taking a break.  If things are better in the fall, we will try to book something.  We are doing Alaska in 2023.  

I guess timing is important.  We just had the bad timing of being on a cruise during a bad Omicron surge.  When I booked the holiday cruise back in 2020, I thought the pandemic would be over by summer of 2021.  Oh well... Who knows when this craziness will finally be behind us.  

Like you, we are taking a break.  For the first time I didn't book any future cruise onboard.

We cruised with deec, Heidi13, Jim Avery and others and are currently aboard the Viking Star as WC 3 for us.  We keep reminding ourselves of Heather Clancy, Cruise Director, explaining the difference between tourists and travelers when we experienced some cancellations of ports and excursions.

We are travelers with a high degree of confidence in Viking afloat and some lingering concerns over Viking ashore due to communication issues well documented on this particular forum.

The confusion over testing requirements for both US citizens and international guests plus the delays in providing itinerary information (and thus, visas) hasn't helped.  The embarkation process that resulted in 3 COVID-19 tests within a 48- hour period can be viewed positively or negatively influenced likely by testing positive or negative.

The numbers of positives onboard (about 1.5%) are somewhat reassuring absent more information about the crew's positive cases.  Our home state is a mess so being aboard the Star is a plus to us.  We know there will be further itinerary changes (as there were on WC 1 and 2) but we do trust Viking to to the right thing.  They are a leader in testing daily and we appreciate that initiative.

We will try and balance our feedback and certainly not be the source of unconfirmed reports.  But, more information is generally better than a void of same.

Waiting for a number of shipmates from past WCs to board in LA.

• Like 4

Hopefully the Viking 2022 WC continues west/southwest without much of a Covid impact. I Viking believe they will do the best they can with their onboard lab. But Omicron is invasive -- notably here in Southern California into our two families and my wife. It will depend what ports/countries allow entrance and what types of excursions. The onboard experience won't really be too much different than what we are experiencing here. Best wishes and I am looking forward to detailed WC passenger posts.

22 minutes ago, Redwarrior68 said:

Heather Clancy, Cruise Director, explaining the difference between tourists and travelers when we experienced some cancellations of ports and excursions.

We were on that 2nd WC with you.  I always thought it was quite a condescending thing for her to say to a group of very well-traveled and sophisticated “travelers.”  However, and this is my final comment on this subject, that was pre-Covid.  On our WC we missed Recife, one day in the Falklands, Easter Island, and Casablanca.  I think that’s all.  Not a third of the advertised ports, as on this segment.  We hated missing Easter Island, but the Captain circumnavigated the Island, and that was great.  At our age, we won’t get a chance to go back.  But So be it. On this cruise we missed Cartagena, another bucket list destination that we undoubtedly won’t ever be able to see.  And that wouldn’t have happened absent the Covid numbers on the ship.  It’s up to everyone to make their own choice. Our choice is to wait to cruise again until better times.  We can still be travelers, just not on a cruise ship.  And,  remember, Isak Dinesen said, before she went to Africa, , “I have been a mental traveler.”  I will do that for awhile, too.  Learning about places I may never see.  

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, ldpetrillo said:

The Covid protocols are not a bother. We feel safer onboard than we would at home. The ship does not feel crowded. We have had no problem going to dinner each night without a reservation. However, the two specialty restaurants are booked each night. While we are on the WC, our calendar on the Viking Onboard App only goes up to LA. It is a little annoying as we have no access to our itinerary or shore excursions. That should change when we get to LA. 

Now on a serious note, the “music” they pipe through the ship is horrible. It is just incoherent music on some kind of loop. Why not play real music? You know, with a beginning and an end. 

Why play music in public spaces at all??  I do not like constant piped in music anywhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

As a survivor of the ill-fated 2019/20 World Cruise that was severely impacted by a social media post stating we had COVID, after seeing photos of pax going ashore in Komodo Island. This social media post was picked up by local media and caused us to miss 2 ports in Indonesia, one of which we bypassed and Samarang, where we anchored off for a full day, until they eventually let us in for stores.

While we are all interested, I for one have no desire to know the daily status of COVID onboard, if it increases the potential of Viking completing the current itinerary.

As another survivor of that WC, I echo Heidi13's comments. The problem arises when someone posts something that is not accurate. Which just happened in this thread. There is just no need to rush to "tell the world" about covid on your cruise. And if you get it wrong you can ruin things for everyone. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

If the incessant testing, masking, etc. still prevail later in '22 we shall regrettably cancel.  Can't see paying thousands of dollars to be put through excessive "safety" measures and then run the risk of being put ashore in lots of distant and sometimes third world, countries.  Just seems a bad bet to us.  So you are not alone in your concerns.  

Jim...well stated. Pretty much my thoughts as well. We're scheduled to sail in March and just not certain (even with just a short cruise compared to a WC!) how much it's worth incurring all the hassle and potential issues. Does it still qualify as a 'relaxing vacation'?  Not sure...

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

I do not like constant piped in music anywhere.

LOL...Even being a musician, I agree with this one also. Sometimes silence is golden. 

music on some kind of loop

That's even worse! My mind quickly picks up when the loop repeats, and repeats....drives me crazy. 

We feel safer onboard than we would at home.

From the perspective that you're with a group of all-vaccinated people, yeah, I can see that. But - at least for us - we're not comfortable at present with eating in resturants, so that's one of our big concerns if the covid situation persists to the same degree by the time we are scheduled to cruise in a few months. Might bag it in favor of a (probably more relaxing) car trip. Of course, can always do room service onboard - but somehow takes some of the enjoyment out of what we've always liked about cruising - the idea of a relaxed meal in the various restaurants. If room service, I can do that in a hotel wth take-out food. But, there again, you're eating with all-vaccinated. We ARE hopeful to cruise again in '22 and beyond. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Why play music in public spaces at all??  I do not like constant piped in music anywhere.

THIS. In GIANT LETTERS. 

The lovely live music is an entirely different matter. We thoroughly enjoyed listening to the quartets, pianists, and guitarists each evening. But oh, the muzak during the day. Like fingernails screeching down an endless blackboard. I wish I could just shut it out, but I’ve never been able to. 

• Like 1

‘Now on a serious note, the “music” they pipe through the ship is horrible. It is just incoherent music on some kind of loop. Why not play real music? You know, with a beginning and an end. ‘

This is bad news for us; we detest muzak (this may be a UK term for it). Are all of those lovely sitting areas polluted in this way; is there anywhere inside the ship - apart from one’s suite - where one can sit and read in silence? If not, our March sailing will probably be our first and only Viking cruise…..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

I understand. Felt the loss of joy on our Med cruise in the fall.  Wasn't expecting it at all, but it happened.

21 minutes ago, claranda said:

‘Now on a serious note, the “music” they pipe through the ship is horrible. It is just incoherent music on some kind of loop. Why not play real music? You know, with a beginning and an end. ‘

This is bad news for us; we detest muzak (this may be a UK term for it). Are all of those lovely sitting areas polluted in this way; is there anywhere inside the ship - apart from one’s suite - where one can sit and read in silence? If not, our March sailing will probably be our first and only Viking cruise…..

We did find a few when we cruised on the Sky several years ago. Try the Wintergarden and the areas around it.

13 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

I agree.  First time I heard it was on our recent TA.  It was background and not loud but i prefer silence or live music if any.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TayanaLorna said:

I agree.  First time  heard it was on our recent TA.  It was background and not loud but i prefer silence or live music if any.

and it is rarely any music the bulk of passengers could identify.  Most vocals not in English.  Can be very annoying if trying to read a good book or relax by the pool.