Royal Rip Off Symphony Christmas 8 night

Lets face it.  Cruising has gone from everything going well, to ports turning away ships, large numbers of crew getting infected, entertainment teams having to quarantine, all in the space of about 2 weeks.

With this variant things have changed.  Even though cruise lines have all included warnings, things had gone well enough that they were pretty much treated as legal boiler plate and nothing to be taken seriously.  

One can be unhappy with their cruise, they can cancel any cruises in the near future (I expect the cruise lines would be happy with people doing that and taking FCC for future bookings), but because of those warnings and the economic state of the cruise lines I doubt they are going to see any compensation.

Anyone cruising in the near future is pretty much warned now that cruising for the next month or so will not be like the cruises in Sept - Nov. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nocl said:

Lets face it.  Cruising has gone from everything going well, to ports turning away ships, large numbers of crew getting infected, entertainment teams having to quarantine, all in the space of about 2 weeks.

With this variant things have changed.  Even though cruise lines have all included warnings, things had gone well enough that they were pretty much treated as legal boiler plate and nothing to be taken seriously.  

One can be unhappy with their cruise, they can cancel any cruises in the near future (I expect the cruise lines would be happy with people doing that and taking FCC for future bookings), but because of those warnings and the economic state of the cruise lines I doubt they are going to see any compensation.

Anyone cruising in the near future is pretty much warned now that cruising for the next month or so will not be like the cruises in Sept - Nov. 

Yeah the problem is that even if I could change my vacation plans on short notice, the cruise line is holding a lot of my money, money I can't use for something else in the near term. The warning is just their way of telling me to accept whatever happens. If they offered a refund for cruises sailing in the next 30 days I would take it right now.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

We have reports of folks getting refunds.

I can't even get Royal to help me complete check in since the system won't provide an arrival time. I'm on hold with them again to try and get this resolved. It is like they don't want us to come.

Aaaand, just got disconnected...

Edited by Pratique
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pratique said:

I can't even get Royal to help me complete check in since the system won't provide an arrival time.

Show up whenever and if anyone asks, show them your Setsail pass without a check in time - I'll bet they let you in line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nocl said:

Never will, anything going into the water, including golf balls, clay pigeons, shotgun pellets is an environmental violation.  What is on the ship must stay on the ship.

Even back 30+ yrs ago Balls were made of a Bio-Fish food

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nocl said:

Never will, anything going into the water, including golf balls, clay pigeons, shotgun pellets is an environmental violation.  What is on the ship must stay on the ship.

The way I play golf, I'd probably miss the water.

Though I am proud to say that one time I did hit the broad side of a barn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

14 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Yeah the problem is that even if I could change my vacation plans on short notice, the cruise line is holding a lot of my money, money I can't use for something else in the near term. The warning is just their way of telling me to accept whatever happens. If they offered a refund for cruises sailing in the next 30 days I would take it right now.

But be aware, the refunds are very slow in coming.  Like months.  

• Like 1

Just now, MrMarc said:

But be aware, the refunds are very slow in coming.  Like months.  

I know, I've been waiting over two months for another refund on a cruise that still shows as booked even though we canceled. Holding my money hostage.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Show up whenever and if anyone asks, show them your Setsail pass without a check in time - I'll bet they let you in line.

That's the plan, but I can't print the setsail pass. It won't let me. Was told last week to just show up at 11:00 am but to keep trying to check in. The agent can't even do it for us over the phone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nocl said:

I have seen very few passengers dumped into the water off the ship at the end of the cruise.  Have seen some that have deserved it though.😄

Couple of them on YouTube jumped off, and were surprised when Cruise Line's don't let them back on

• Like 1

17 hours ago, badvector said:

Does the font get incredibly smaller at the bottom of the post or have I had way too many drinks tonight?

Its called the Doppler effect. The OP was walking away, huffing and puffing mad as he finished up his post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

9 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I know, I've been waiting over two months for another refund on a cruise that still shows as booked even though we canceled. Holding my money hostage.

I had the same problem when I cancelled my Wonder of the Seas booking.

At the 10-week mark post cancellation, the reservation was still showing in my account.

I called back, and the agent said although my reservation was technically cancelled, it was never processed for refund.  She had to call the resolutions desk to process the refund, at which point my reservation disappeared from my online account.

She said I should get my refund 2 to 3 weeks later.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

I had the same problem when I cancelled my Wonder of the Seas booking.

At the 10-week mark post cancellation, the reservation was still showing in my account.

I called back, and the agent said although my reservation was technically cancelled, it was never processed for refund.  She had to call the resolutions desk to process the refund, at which point my reservation disappeared from my online account.

She said I should get my refund 2 to 3 weeks later.

Thanks for this (we also canceled Wonder), I will try calling again (a fourth time on that one).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

I believe lack of Belly Flop contests is covered under Cruise With Confidence.  You should fax a complaint in and demand a full refund, at the very least for suffering the pain of riding around at sea and being forced to eat. 

Speaking to ship crew members, or any hospitality worker, like they’re lowly servants will certainly get you everything you demand and more. 

Actually the belly flop contest on the Odyssey class ships was stopped pre-covid for safety reasons.  Something is different about the pool on them, and someone got hurt.. At least that's what a CD told me.  I was really disappointed because I had brought a blow-up costume to wear in it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oxo said:

2. Do you think $120 for a Specialty Restaurant during a holiday is a reasonable price?

Again, your opinion.

Stay Safe!

I was on Brilliance a week and a half ago on their first revenue cruise.  I went to Chef's Table.  I've heard rumors that people have gotten discounts onboard, but since i prefer to get it on the exact day, I prebooked it at 89.99.  Historically, i've never seen it go below 75.00, but recently, its been at this 89.99 for many years no sales ever.  Someone onboard came to me the day after chef's table and asked if I did it and what I thought.  I told her that it was great and I always do it on every cruise and she tells me they wanted to charge her 135 for it!!!!!  I have never seen it that high.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Oxo said:

K, thank you. 

I don't know what could be special since there is a vast variety on the normal menu. 

We cruise Celebrity (Elite +) and very seldom have I seen a special menu on a special night. Maybe I missed it.

Been on Dozens of 12+ niters for years, when get to Day 12-16 they break out Menus not usually offered. Never had problem finding something good to eat! Old days on Royal they'd have more options, one nite on one these longer Sailings my then 11yr old Daughter enjoyed Whole Lobster, Curry and Caviar, all at no extra cost back then. Not like Lobster nite of last couple Decades

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Been on Dozens of 12+ niters for years, when get to Day 12-16 they break out Menus not usually offered. Never had problem finding something good to eat! Old days on Royal they'd have more options, one nite on one these longer Sailings my then 11yr old Daughter enjoyed Whole Lobster, Curry and Caviar, all at no extra cost back then. Not like Lobster nite of last couple Decades

Thanks for your info. We have cruised RCI since 1987. We remember real lobster. Not the shrimp style they have now. Yes, caviar, too.

We have done Captain table, too.

However, still trying to find out what a $120/person Specialty Restaurant menu consists of when you already are paying premium price for a holiday cruise. 

Would really like to see a real menu that is worth $120 on a ship.

Stay Safe and Happy New Year!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Oxo said:

However, still trying to find out what a $120/person Specialty Restaurant menu consists of when you already are paying premium price for a holiday cruise. 

Simply supply and demand; maximizing profit.  If it didn't bring in a better result, they'd lower the price point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oxo said:

Would really like to see a real menu that is worth $120 on a ship.

Stay Safe and Happy New Year!

We were on Valentine's Day (on Vision) before the pause, and I think Chops dinner was $80 p/p on the holiday. All other reservations and packages were cancelled. The restaurant was decorated, and each meal included a little bottle of champagne. We peeked in. We talked to a couple later, it was the same menu, but a "special" dining opportunity. We ate in the Windjammer. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2