Royal Rip Off Symphony Christmas 8 night

1 minute ago, Oxo said:

Seriously, why don't we all accept someone else's opinion if it is describing how they feel about their experience?
Is this forum becoming divided like the political parties of today?
It is easy to find fault with things you don't agree with. 
People make suggestions and ask for opinions. Instead of trying to provide value added,  people immediately disagree with the suggestion. 
Then you have those that  try to control the boards. 
Why not make this more positive and try to understand we are all here to try to help each other with answers rather than criticism.
Remember, we are all interested in cruising, beating C19 and may meet on a future cruise.
Stay safe and happy cruising!

If I was OP, I would have been upset too…. Cruising seemed to be going so well, so I can see how their experience came out of nowhere.  I’m just glad my cruise is farther out, so I can set lower expectations and hopefully be pleasantly surprised!  I am sick of cold weather and being land locked, so my bar is getting pretty low 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, danielwje1 said:

With the upmost respect to you, we have all had a rather terrible holiday and Christmas. There’s been numerous posts from independent people including myself about the experiences onboard. 

I think it’s hard if you’re at home to visualise the experience onboard. I also think it’s important people’s experiences are shared so people can make an informed decision if they want to step on these ships or not. 

Yes, I stayed home, cancelling the plans I had because of the rise in Covid cases. While I appreciate your disappointment in not having the cruise you envisioned, I'm also surprised that you did not anticipate this. We have cruised twice since September, and although each time was pleasant, neither were exactly what a pre-pandemic cruise was. 

• Like 2

Your opinion. 

Should any cruse line contunine to cruise?

1. With all the shows,  entertainment, food venues closed on a ship.

2. Do you think $120 for a Specialty Restaurant during a holiday is a reasonable price?

Again, your opinion.

Stay Safe!

• Like 1

Just now, Oxo said:

Your opinion. 

2. Do you think $120 for a Specialty Restaurant during a holiday is a reasonable price?

Again, your opinion.

Stay Safe!

Yes they should continue to cruise. 
No I think Royal became a nickel and dime company but specialty restaurants are just that and people do not have to dine there. Many do not.  Not sure how many people the $120 was for.  They can also pre-purchase specialty dining during the many 'sales'. 

While I understand the disappointment of the OP, no one should be cruising if they cannot go with the flow during this fluid time (I am beginning to really dislike the word fluid). 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Your opinion. 

Again, your opinion.

Stay Safe!

1. Yes

2. Sure, it's a special menu

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

Seriously, why don't we all accept someone else's opinion if it is describing how they feel about their experience?
Is this forum becoming divided like the political parties of today?
It is easy to find fault with things you don't agree with. 
People make suggestions and ask for opinions. Instead of trying to provide value added,  people immediately disagree with the suggestion. 
Then you have those that  try to control the boards. 
Why not make this more positive and try to understand we are all here to try to help each other with answers rather than criticism.
Remember, we are all interested in cruising, beating C19 and may meet on a future cruise.
Stay safe and happy cruising!

Because many people aren't trying to describe their experience. There are huge differences between statements like "I didn't enjoy the cruise because the shows weren't running"; and "The cruise sucked because the shows weren't running" or "Royal Caribbean should cancel cruises if the shows aren't running" or and "Royal Caribbean is cancelling shows to save money."

I agree with you when people are making the first kind of statement. They are giving their experience. When they start crossing the line into the other statements, they are no longer giving their experience, they are trying to speak for everyone; that deserves to be disagreed with. Or trying to dictate what's available to everyone based on their preferences; that deserves to be disagreed with. Or making wild conspiracy theory statements as if they are fact; that deserves to be disputed.

You suggest people should be helpful and provide answers... what questions has the original poster asked that weren't answered?

Edited by Tolkmit
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

For the price we are paying, I don't want to just sit on my balcony because nothing is going on onboard and not stop anywhere of significance. I have waited since 2020 to cruise I will wait a bit longer. We are cancelling our May2022 cruise on Carnival until this settles down. I get the mask wearing, and if it is the rules then people should abide by it. I don't like wearing masks, don't wear one in FL and I will wait it out until it is not required. Not my idea of fun. I will go to the beach for a week and sit on my balcony and enjoy the beach without a mask. *** opinions are my own***

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

We have cruised twice since September, and although each time was pleasant, neither were exactly what a pre-pandemic cruise was. 

Agree w/ you on the RC experience...we've done a few post-pandemic, and just not quite ready for another, particularly w/ a lot of events being cancelled.

We went on Celebrity, and it was better than pre-pandemic (less than 50% onboard, mask free).  Looking forward to trying Virgin next month, and expect it to be awesome as well (low occupancy, and mask free as well). 

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

You said contracts ended, highly unlikely during the cruise. Next logical /common sense thing is Covid.

I heard a crew guy on liberty who mentioned contracts ending and that crew were already onboard isolating for the changeover. 

Not sure but some crew was hired early and rcl did test cruises etc .. somehow there are crew who are at the end of their contracts and changeover time.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tolkmit said:

Or making wild conspiracy theory statements as if they are fact; that deserves to be disputed.

So, is it a conspiracy theory when someone says it was money rather than RCI saying they "couldn't find" riggers for the aerialist shows as the reason for canceling the aerialist show in the Centrum of Vision class ships (or the aerialist portion of Spectra's on Anthem now)?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

Your opinion. 

Again, your opinion.

Stay Safe!

1.  If all the food venues are closed, they shouldn't operate.  A week without food is rough.

2.  If the suckers want to pay it, they should collect it.

• Like 1

This may be the solution:

You can create your own itineraries, create your own aqua shows, captain a whole fleet of 7 and also be your very own Julie the cruise director. All for only $18.98 and in stock at your local Walmart. (Bathtub not included, FCC cannot be used for purchase, food and beverage not inlcuded.)

BABE5A66-4B52-41F5-80A1-2B81F66A9A6F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, natefish95 said:

Honestly, you sound like a super difficult person to deal with and I applaud the guest services staff on Symphony for dealing with you. None of this is new! This is your first cruise since the restart, but it sounds like you did zero research and and did not know what to expect. There are parts of my current cruise I'm not pleased with, but I'm being flexible and rolling with the changes, not stomping my feet and pitching an adult hissy fit. 

Thanks for the sage advice and the diagnosis, doctor. 

• Like 1

Did Symphony of the Seas dock at St. Maartin and were the passengers able to get off the ship? I looked at Cruise Mapper and couldn't tell whether they were able to visit. I'm on SOTS on January 8th and I am really not sure if I will go or not. Perhaps all of the performers would be out of quarantine just about then. My Magic 8 Ball isn't working. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Do we really need two parallel threads that basically state "Symphony sucks"?

At least the internet on the cruise didn’t get cancelled due to COVID.

Isn’t there 3 going?

In all seriousness, we just got off Anthem and my wife tested positive. We are disappointed, but not complaining since this was a known risk in going. We did contact RCI through our TA since they have a policy about getting compensation when quarantined on the ship. 

The aerialists in Spectra’s were not there…we did not visit Guest Services!

Edited by OACAggie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

Your opinion. 

Should any cruse line continue to cruise? Yes

2. Do you think $120 for a Specialty Restaurant during a holiday is a reasonable price? No but people are willing to pay and I bet the restaurants sell out. 

Again, your opinion.

Stay Safe!

There are those who don't sail for any of the above so yes they should continue to sail. However, the Oasis class ship is the destination for many and the entertainment is key because the itineraries are very bland. In this case you are losing both. It's like you are in quarantine but you're not quarantined. Bad situation to be in. Hopefully this thread will be a lesson for those who never considered that they could be the same situation for future cruises and they should be prepared.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

1st cruise back since cancelation of last Christmas because of Covid. 40th cruise with Royal, but this is not what we called cruising in the past. Paid extra for a Christmas cruise never being told that most everything could or would be canceled!

Embarkation day: went to Chops to make reservations (nothing was available Pre-cruise) only to find out that Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and probably New Years Eve ALL specialalty restaurants priced at $120 -- just cause they could! Okay, so Christmas in the Windjammer was fine! Then all this..

- booked a central park balcony to watch Aqua Theater shows from balcony avoiding close contact BUT ALL aqua theater shows were canceled. Guest services said that those crew members signed out of their contracts last cruise. (No one knew and planned for replacements?) No, all you get are really old movies or doggie youtube stuff all day long.

NO Broadway shows

NO music whatsoever in Boleros

NO music in Prmenade

NO parades or  events in Promenade

NO On Air activities 

NO Sailaway party 

NO belly flop contests or game shows - cruise director is MIA

Everytime I went to guest services to speak to a manager, they were all "in meetings." 

Finally tonight, day 6, I said that I would wait and refused to move from the counter. Finally a manager arrived, listened to my complaints and repeated what must be rehearsed as the company line: "We apologize but it is our practice not to offer compensation for things beyond our control." I said, so no one knew all the aqua theater staff's were ending or all the Royal singers and dancers? "No sir."

I call ****! He seemed amazed when I said that I would never want his job. "Why, I love my job" he replied. I said how can you tell a repeat customer that you owe them nothing more than riding around at sea and food to eat? Do you not understand why people cruise?

IMHO, Royal saw a chance to increase profits by cutting out entertainment and hoping no one would complain.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Thanks for the sage advice and the diagnosis, doctor. 

So you posted this thread assuming people would condone your childish, entitled attitude and actions or believe your bizarre conspiracy theories?  Did you think we would feel sorry for you given the fact that most of us were well aware of the growing problems?  Did you think we would be shocked that the dining prices went up like they have every year?  If so, I don't think there was ever a chance to get what you were looking for.   I really don't know what you were expecting.  Maybe you needed people to argue with to ease our frustrations.  If that case, this was a great choice.  I think everyone here understands the frustration. But having been on 40 cruises that were great and then having problems on 1 where the perfect storm of the new variant and holiday capacities met seems harsh to me, but it's your choice.  In your situation, you have 2 choices.  I know when I was younger I would have been shaking my fist at the world and fighting windmills like it sounds like you are.  However now, I would make the best of a bad situation.  Maybe room service is the best choice for meals (but expect it to take a while).  If you drink, ,start earlier in the day.  No shows?  There are actually some great programs on the BBC channel on your TV, as well as movies.  Sit on the balcony and look over the screens at the back and enjoy the aft view from the ship, a lot of people get aft balconies just for that purpose.  Just walk around the massive ship, get some candy or ice cream on the boardwalk, and explore all of the places where you can see the ocean from that ship, because there are a lot.  I bet you'll even find some places with no one else there.  Grab breakfast or lunch or dinner at Johnny Rockets.  There are lots of options, it's up to you which to choose.  You can also simply think of a sarcastic comment to make, or actually think about it for what it is, an attempt to explain what you have seen so far, and a suggestion as to a possible solution.

• Like 10