Sunset view cabins v Infinite balcony

florence11

On 1/4/2022 at 6:13 PM, kiwismith said:

+ gorgeous floor-to-ceiling picture window (with a center bar, though) You do see more of the ocean.

Thank you for your break-down of pros and cons, but I don't understand this particular one.  I've had floor-to-ceiling (or floor-to-a-few-inches-from-the-ceiling) windows in all the balcony cabins I've been in.  However, one of those slid open to let me out onto the balcony. 

Yes, the balcony would obstruct some of the outdoor view from inside, so that may be the difference you're talking about.  You would be able to see more of the ocean from inside the room.

On 1/8/2022 at 4:53 PM, DCPIV said:

Thank you for your break-down of pros and cons, but I don't understand this particular one.  I've had floor-to-ceiling (or floor-to-a-few-inches-from-the-ceiling) windows in all the balcony cabins I've been in.  However, one of those slid open to let me out onto the balcony. 

Yes, the balcony would obstruct some of the outdoor view from inside, so that may be the difference you're talking about.  You would be able to see more of the ocean from inside the room.

With a traditional balcony cabin you have the sliding doors then the balcony and finally the balcony edge which can be glass or metal- usually glass on X. With infinity balcony you can sit right up against the glass I.e the edge of the ship. Still a terrible idea classic balcony for us everything.

6 hours ago, the penguins said:

With a traditional balcony cabin you have the sliding doors then the balcony and finally the balcony edge which can be glass or metal- usually glass on X. With infinity balcony you can sit right up against the glass I.e the edge of the ship. Still a terrible idea classic balcony for us everything.

With the IV you also have sliding doors, then an extension of your cabin.

Are you implying that on a regular balcony you can't sit right up against the glass since you feel that is  detrimental with the IV's.    IV balconies are more enclosed than a normal balcony is and at the same time can be used during inclement weather which can't be done with a regular balcony unless you like to relax wearing a poncho.

You also have incremental use of the glass which you can't do with a traditional balcony and incremental use of the shade, which is non existent on a traditional balcony.

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

With the IV you also have sliding doors, then an extension of your cabin.

Are you implying that on a regular balcony you can't sit right up against the glass since you feel that is  detrimental with the IV's.    IV balconies are more enclosed than a normal balcony is and at the same time can be used during inclement weather which can't be done with a regular balcony unless you like to relax wearing a poncho.

You also have incremental use of the glass which you can't do with a traditional balcony and incremental use of the shade, which is non existent on a traditional balcony.

See Post 47. The inner doors don't slide they fold. Worse when you drop the window the Aircon goes off. You can't open the window without dropping the blinds. We regularly do Transatlantic s and use our traditional balcony every sea day for around 3 to 4 hours. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 3:02 AM, the penguins said:

See Post 47. The inner doors don't slide they fold. Worse when you drop the window the Aircon goes off. You can't open the window without dropping the blinds. We regularly do Transatlantic s and use our traditional balcony every sea day for around 3 to 4 hours. 

On the Apex right now and our doors slide closed.  I do believe they did fold on the Edge when we were on her two years ago.PXL_20220112_223439802.thumb.jpg.700881bbded0c1673da4218e115f185e.jpg

DH did not like the IV, I liked it but felt it was too small. Now I think that the IV cabin would be great on ... say an Alaskan..inner passage cruise... where there is a lot to see from the ship... In that case you can just stay in your stateroom and watch the scenery go by and no coat or jacket necessary. Or some other itinerary where ...unlike the caribbean... there is something to look at and perhaps the weather isn't reliable or it is cold or hot.  

2 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

On the Apex right now and our doors slide closed.  I do believe they did fold on the Edge when we were on her two years ago.PXL_20220112_223439802.thumb.jpg.700881bbded0c1673da4218e115f185e.jpg

So different to the way they are shown on post 47.

Could be an improvement. With the doors shut how much room do you have on the "balcony'? The chairs look very upright with low backs and  no slant to the back. We like to relax with footstools (supplied by our cabin steward on day 1 - $10 well spent) and the angled balconies on the hump suit us perfectly. Cannot imagine relaxing on an Infinite Balcony for 30 minutes let alone several hours a day - but everyone can make their own choices which is what makes cruising great.

4 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Could be an improvement. With the doors shut how much room do you have on the "balcony'? The chairs look very upright with low backs and  no slant to the back. We like to relax with footstools (supplied by our cabin steward on day 1 - $10 well spent) and the angled balconies on the hump suit us perfectly. Cannot imagine relaxing on an Infinite Balcony for 30 minutes let alone several hours a day - but everyone can make their own choices which is what makes cruising great.

Someday soon, E-class ships will be sailing all of your favorite itineraries.  Then what will you do?

The people dead set against the IV make me want to sail in one.  

That said, I’m book in an SV on Apex in March…it was a lift and shift, they moved me from a very forward porthole balcony to an SV…I’m not complaining..

5 hours ago, the penguins said:

It's certainly not like the hump on an S Class ship or an aft cabin with the larger balcony that accommodate a slanted chair and footstool.

The IV versus traditional balcony has been debated on many threads and it looks like the IV has won to the detriment of traditionalists since there are not any changes regarding the reduction of IV cabins on the Beyond and I have to assume it will be the same with the Ascent.

8 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Someday soon, E-class ships will be sailing all of your favorite itineraries.  Then what will you do?

1) S class will be around for years.

2) Once the 4x  E class are built who knows what the next class will be like.

3) Until X drops it's AI pricing our days of cruising X are already numbered  - already moved one to Royal at a much lower price and are looking at alternatives for 2023. 

3 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

It's certainly not like the hump on an S Class ship or an aft cabin with the larger balcony that accommodate a slanted chair and footstool.

The IV versus traditional balcony has been debated on many threads and it looks like the IV has won to the detriment of traditionalists since there are not any changes regarding the reduction of IV cabins on the Beyond and I have to assume it will be the same with the Ascent.

We will only know that when X introduces it's next class of ship - my guess is it will revert to traditional balconies.

On 1/10/2022 at 3:14 PM, florence11 said:

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your input we have finally booked a SV cabin on the edge for March 24 to New Zealand and we are hoping to travel Australia for about 5 weeks before we cruise if they let us in 😄

SV..a   good choice.

Hope your plans work out!

Edited by hcat

8 hours ago, the penguins said:

We will only know that when X introduces it's next class of ship - my guess is it will revert to traditional balconies.

When will that be? 2025?  In the meantime the four E Class ships, or will there be five, will continue to push the envelope.

6 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Sure the S-class ships will continue to exist for awhile but where will they be sailing?  They will likely assign the newer more interesting itineraries to the newer ships.

M class will go before S class.

All classes will continue to do the Transatlantic twice a year.

Ships will continue to follow the money not how interesting a route is - Constellation withdrawn from the gulf and Asia to meet demand in the Caribbean then changed again to Alsaka.

12 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

So is the porthole open to the outside air?  i.e. you can stick your head out and look down at the ocean? 
Thanks.

Yes they are. There are a number of threads about them with photos. Here is one