The Cancel Or Cruise, No Judgement Zone, Thread.

Guindalf

Date of sailing:  December 19, 2021 (Edge)

Cancel or Cruise:  Cruised

Rebooked or not? Other travel plans:  N/A

Comment on why you made the decision (if you want) without bashing anyone who made a different choice:  Usually we are all about the ports and the ship is secondary.  In this case, we just wanted to get away and have a good time and if we missed one or more ports, then it wouldn't be much loss as long as we didn't end up with Covid or in quarantine.  Glad we went, but with the sharp rise in Covid if we were leaving 12/26 it would have been 50/50, had we been leaving today we would have cancelled.

16 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

May I ask where you got this information.  I read a few days ago that it was 49 crew and 1 passenger.  Now several hundred?

That's a figure from this Cruise Law News article:

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2022/01/articles/disease/guests-ignore-cdcs-warnings-and-party-on-cruise-ships-like-its-1999/

Many estimate that there are as many as three-hundred infected guests occupying cabins on several deck reserved for those who are COVID-19 positive.

How much confidence one has in this particular source is another issue.

Edited by Fouremco

Booked on Equinox for 1/3.

Cancelled; will use FCC for a cruise in the summer.

For us, it was the realization that things are different. Ships had 163 cases from the start of cruising until a few weeks ago; they'd had 5000 in the two weeks before the CDC issued their latest advisory. For the short term, it will only get worse.

We had no issues being on on Equinox in August when the protocols worked to avoid catching it. Omicron behaves differently; it took us a long time to accept that fact, but the simple truth is that everyone is likely to catch it no matter what at some point. Boosted, so not at all worried about getting very sick, but that's not the point: I don't want to quarantine on board, deal with reduced staff on board, and so on. So happy to let this wave work itself out and travel later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guindalf said:

Date of sailing: 01/09/2022 Celebrity Edge

Cancel or Cruise: Still going, at this time

Rebooked or not? Other travel plans:  Cruises booked in April 2022 and Nov 2022.

Comment on why you made the decision (if you want) without bashing anyone who made a different choice:  Still taking a wait and see attitude.  Biggest worry is getting back home from cruise.

Date: February 14, 2022 (Silhouette, 11 night ABC)

Comment:  Been to all the ports several times, don't care if we dock or not.  Has been a rough year - we need a break.  Note: 4 1/2 hour drive to the port.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

That's a figure from this Cruise Law News article:

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2022/01/articles/disease/guests-ignore-cdcs-warnings-and-party-on-cruise-ships-like-its-1999/

Many estimate that there are as many as three-hundred infected guests occupying cabins on several deck reserved for those who are COVID-19 positive.

How much confidence one has in this particular source is another issue.

Any mention on here about Harmony is getting nuked with impressive speed, so.... 🧐

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Can you please share what made the Constellation sailing so awful?  I have a B2B on her boarding on the 14th.  

Yes, please. I have to wonder what was so bad about that sailing.

Date: January 19, 2022 (Reflection, 10 night Southern Caribbean)

Comment:  Been to all the ports several times, don't care if we dock or not. 

It turned out that our biggest fear is catching Covid sitting in the airport or on the plane.

We are planning to drive from NC, leaving the day before the cruise, assuming we test negative.

We will social distance and do what we need to do to stay safe.

Date: January 16, 2022   Edge Western Caribbean

Comment:  We were a larger group of 17 and some have already cancelled for various reasons.  As of now there are 11 of us sailing

Date of sailing: Feb 21, 2022 Millennium 10-night cruise with 6 port stops planned

Cancel or Cruise: Cancel

Rebooked or not? Canceled just before final payment and will apply FCC from non-refundable deposit to current booking in October 2022 (B2B: NE/Canada and repositioning to Miami).  Hoping for better conditions by then!

Comment on why you made the decision (if you want) without bashing anyone who made a different choice: Too much uncertainty overall.  We took a Nov 2021 5-night Summit cruise and felt very safe (it was before Omicron), and only disembarked briefly at the two port stops.  That cruise was mostly a post-restart "test" cruise for us and wanted to check out the revolutionized Summit before our Oct 2022 B2B (also on Summit).  We usually cruise for the ports, and have no idea what ports will be open or what the protocols will be for those that are open.  And the incident of positive COVID on ships seems to be increasing (probably due to Omicron).  Since we were to be staying in a suite, I didn't want to pay those $$'s for an uncertain & potentially negative experience... so better to wait it out a bit more.

We are booked in the near future, and we have booked dining this morning and we are looking into trip insurance now and will likely book that tomorrow and then at least book our flight down. 

We are going to take as many precautions as possible including the flights down there. We will either do first class or the big comfy seats on spirit so we will be sitting together without a 3rd person next to us. We will likely book private transport to get us to hotel, to port, and back to airport. We also have a good amount of N95 masks and will double mask. With that transport we will see if we can get them to mask, which not sure if that would be possible in FL. Thinking we will also mask onboard, but see how things are then. 

My hope is the positive cases will be peaking in next two weeks and we will be at the tail of the curve similar to where it was first seen. The trip insurance is because this thing has been so unpredictable, but Omicron while not a great thing to get seems mild compared to Delta. Both of us have all three shots. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

The trip insurance is because this thing has been so unpredictable,

Trip insurance seems expensive until it's needed. We pay for trip insurance for every trip when we leave the continental United States, regardless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garyl62 said:

We would be happy with that because we've combined all those FCC's into covering the cost of a PH Suite so we can enjoy a large cabin space, big deck with our own hot tub, and probably get some great service from our Retreat Host

I REALLY think it would be better if you moved all the way forward to the Reflection Suite. That way you get fresh air continually from the forward deck and don't have to worry about airborne infection, other than what's carried by sea gulls, of course! Glad I could help.

Date of sailing: 1/4/22 10 day southern Carib on the Silhouette

Rebooked?: will probably apply FCC to 11/27/22 cruise already booked on the Beyond

Comment: My husband and I are 72 & 70 respectively and are in good health and are fully vaxxed and boosted, but don't want to risk even a mild infection. We sailed on 11/7 on the Equinox and again on 12/5 on the Edge and felt safer than we did on land knowing that everyone around you was vaccinated and had tested negative before boarding. Crew is also tested weekly. A few days after our return from the Edge, omicron exploded and we basically went into a modified self-imposed lockdown.

We have cruise booked for 2/5/22 on NCL and will wait and see what happens. Although NCL had discontinued their "safe sail" policy (similar to CWC) as of 10/31/21, they reinstated it on 12/30/21 for the month of January. 

1 hour ago, wv4891 said:

OOPS, where did it go?

My MDVIP doctor says it is just a matter of time until almost everyone gets Covid, but he also says that Omicron will bring us to herd immunity and blow through quicker due to how it behaves.  Then, we will have to live with it.  I do not believe in telling people what to do, but I do my own research, listen to my doc and make my own decision.  I do not have a cruise until late May and it is out of the country on a very small ship.  Yes, still thinking about Flora, but have to decide by 1/29/2022.  My next are b2b/TA from Europe on Apex; Equinox on Dec. 22, 2022.  I plan 100% on the last two, unless Celebrity cancels.  If I get an FCC for May, I will ask to have it immediately transfered to my b2b/TA, as I heard this is possible.  

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lastdance said:

My MDVIP doctor says it is just a matter of time until almost everyone gets Covid, but he also says that Omicron will bring us to herd immunity and blow through quicker due to how it behaves.  Then, we will have to live with it.  I do not believe in telling people what to do, but I do my own research, listen to my doc and make my own decision.  I do not have a cruise until late May and it is out of the country on a very small ship.

Interesting perspective on things. It's interesting to hear the opinion of a medical doctor and to me it really does make sense. I'm hoping that doctor is correct and herd immunity is achieved. It's sad to me to think that some people chose the infection over a few simple vaccinations.

As of now we are still planning on our March sailing. 16 days until final payment is due. That will help with a decision in two weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Date : Jan 15 Apex 7 night 

Comment: Wife and I both late 60’s and are boosted. Frankly we’re tired of changing plans multiple times over the past two years because of something new that’s happening. If things look like they’re getting bad on the ship we will just hunker down in our cabin as much as possible. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

Interesting perspective on things. It's interesting to hear the opinion of a medical doctor and to me it really does make sense. I'm hoping that doctor is correct and herd immunity is achieved. It's sad to me to think that some people chose the infection over a few simple vaccinations.

As of now we are still planning on our March sailing. 16 days until final payment is due. That will help with a decision in two weeks.

if you get a FCC, ask that it be applied to another cruise immediately; find someone who will do this for you. We are all in this together and we will get out of it together.  People will do what they do, but at least we all have a choice!

Edited by Lastdance

Jan 3 and 14 on the Constellation.

Canceled both.

Future plans: I will probably use the credits  later in the year and am planning on a cruise to Bermuda next year    2 023.

Why?  I am elderly and even though I'm vaccinated and boostered, I didn't feel comfortable being in close quarters on a ship, and the mask mandate was the straw.  I am going to wait and see what happens, but for sure will not book any cruise near holiday months -- too many people are going on planes and then on the ship.        

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Guindalf said:

I'm starting this thread out of curiosity. This is intended as a no judgement zone, so keep your opinions to yourself.

All I'd like to know is whether you have decided to cancel or keep your booking and cruise. So if you've made that decision, please go ahead and tell us...

Date of sailing:

Cancel or Cruise:

Rebooked or not? Other travel plans:

Comment on why you made the decision (if you want) without bashing anyone who made a different choice:

I would ask you to respect each other. neither choice is right or wrong, just personal.

March 5, Apex, 7 night W Carb

We cancelled on Dec 26, about a week before final payment. 

We did not rebook. We have a holiday cruise on Solstice for Dec 2022 already  booked. 

We cancelled because our daughter had to back out (boyfriend) and because we were counting on going to Grand Cayman since this was a diving vacation for us. Grand Cayman is going  to be removed from the itinerary soon. We are not sure if we will be permitted to arrange for independent dive excursion at the other ports and Celebrity does not offer any. The whole Covid thing and the prospect of wearing masks on the cruise sealed the deal. I am very disappointed. 

4 minutes ago, esther e said:

made my 

Canceled both.

Future plans: I will probably use the credits  later in the year and am planning on a cruise to Bermuda next year    2 023.

Why?  I am elderly and even though I'm vaccinated and boostered, I didn't feel comfortable being in close quarters on a ship, and the mask mandate was the straw.  I am going to wait and see what happens, but for sure will not book any cruise near holiday months -- too many people are going on planes and then on the ship.        

I must add that the CDC recommendation finalized my decision.

Date of sailing: Feb 5 B2B on the Reflection

Cancel or Cruise: Cruise

Rebooked or not? No plans to cancel right now

Comment on why you made the decision (if you want) without bashing anyone who made a different choice: We love cruising but from now on if it’s in the Caribbean, as we’ve been cruising there quite a bit these past 5 months, it’s more about the ship experience than the ports.

As for questions about the Connie, we’re are it now and have had a great time so far! However, I did hear on CC the Connie did have some serious missteps, especially in the running water department, when it first went back into service in November.

5 minutes ago, esther e said:

Canceled both.

What mask mandate? We’re on the Connie right now and we are unaware of any mask mandate.

Date: April 30th Apex Transatlantic B2B with British Isles 2022

Status: We temporarily toyed with the idea of going to Alaska in 2022 instead (to not risk getting stuck overseas), but in the end we cancelled and rebooked for 2023.

Comments: While April is "forever" from now in COVID days, we just aren't willing to risk paying close to $20k for our first European cruises and find ourselves blocked from all UK ports, locked down in Amsterdam, etc. Not to mention the risk of catching COVID overseas and having to deal with quarantines and then trying to get back to the USA and then Guatemala where we currently live. Just doesn't sound like a vacation!

We rebooked a 2023 Transatlantic on the Apex with a week in Amsterdam followed by a second APEX cruise to the British Isles. I thought I would find the decision to cancel depressing, but honestly, it just felt like a huge relief. We can now stop stressing about the whole "are we or aren't we?" question and just plan ahead for 2023. Celebrity was great about just moving all of our paid funds over to the new cruises in 2023 so we could avoid waiting for FCCs.

• Like 2