The Cancel Or Cruise, No Judgement Zone, Thread.

Guindalf

Date of sailing: February 26, 2022 Apex

Cancel or Cruise: Cruise

Rebooked or not? Other travel plans: 

Comment on why you made the decision (if you want) without bashing anyone who made a different choice:  We still have time for Omicron to run it's course and hopefully get back to fall levels that brought almost normalcy. I'm saddened for the crew and company as they've tried so hard to keep things going. We'll plan on going unless Celebrity cancels the cruise. We have a sunset veranda booked and aren't worried about port calls. We've never found excursions to crowded beaches appealing. We prefer to book a week on an outrageously beautiful beach and plop ourselves there to get our beach fix.

Edited by 3boyz2keep
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Date of sailing: Jan 19 three consecutive (B2b2B) on Reflection

Cancel or Cruise: Cancel

Rebooked or not: Other travel plans: Will apply FCC to a future 2022 cruise already booked.

Already paid Mar 2022 Eclipse.

Key considerations include air travel and overnight in Fort Lauderdale. Have been on RF several times to Caribbean. While the RF is a nice ship, it is due for an upgrade. Possible need for masks is a consideration, not a deal breaker, but another negative.

We are in our 70's, so getting a mild case of Omicron is not attractive. Optimistic that we will be in an endemic, not pandemic in March.

4 hours ago, Guindalf said:

I'm starting this thread out of curiosity. This is intended as a no judgement zone, so keep your opinions to yourself.

All I'd like to know is whether you have decided to cancel or keep your booking and cruise. So if you've made that decision, please go ahead and tell us...

Date of sailing: Jan 22/29, 2022  B2B Apex

Cancel or Cruise: Probably Cancel

Rebooked or not? Other travel plans: Will look to cruise in March or apply FCC to other 22 cruises booked.

Comment on why you made the decision (if you want) without bashing anyone who made a different choice:  I don't mind wearing a mask, but find it stressful "mask watching" everyone else.  Understand I could catch Covid anywhere, but the thought of getting in on a ship and being placed in a room with no fresh air is a deal breaker.

I would ask you to respect each other. neither choice is right or wrong, just personal.

2 hours ago, esther e said:

I read someone on this forum that the ships were making it clear to wear masks.  Don't shoot the messenger -- just know what I read.

Thought you might be interested in what folks are saying regarding masks being mandated on some of the cruise ships setting sail today in this new thread. 😎

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2821764-on-reflection-now-masks-are-required-indoors/

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Unless X has changed the rules, for B2B folks, if you happen to be contact traced, even if you test negative, you won't be allowed to continue on the next leg(s).  At least that was my case.

This is still the case.

Date of sailing: February 20, 2022 Equinox

Cancel or Cruise: Cancelled

Rebooked or not? Other travel plans:  Mediterranean cruise Sept. 2022.  Depends how things are then.

Comment on why you made the decision (if you want) without bashing anyone who made a different choice:  The whole point of booking a 12 day cruise with 7 stops was to visit islands we hadn't been to before. With ports either being closed or being forced to take a ship excursion, it was no longer the vacation we had planned. Floating at sea for two weeks may be some people's idea of fun, but not mine. 

14 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Who? Where?  Th messenger is unreliable without naming the source

Agreed. However, there does seem to be truth in this rumor. People were, apparently being handed a letter as they boarded, requesting indoor mask-wearing when not actively eating or drinking (see link above).

However, the fake news about the Harmony of the Seas does indeed appear to be false. There is nothing on the RCCL forum (I looked) that even remotely suggests 'hundreds of positive cases' above and beyond the reported 50 (49 crew and one passenger).

18 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Unless X has changed the rules, for B2B folks, if you happen to be contact traced, even if you test negative, you won't be allowed to continue on the next leg(s).  At least that was my case.

Yep, that’s another point if discussion between us - should we cancel one trip only, and if so which one - Itgink for a number of reasons, the Feb 5 is more likely to happen

1 hour ago, TeaBag said:

Guindalf, thank you for starting this thread.  Great idea.

Date of sailing:  April 23, 2022

Cancel or Cruise:  Undecided as of now.  Waiting to see what happens with Omicron.

Rebooked or not? If we cancel before FP Jan 23, we will not rebook.

Comment on why you made the decision  We may ask Celebrity if they would extend the FP date for another month or so.  In these uncertain times I think asking for FP 90 days before the cruise is asking for cancellations.

I feel the same about paying 90 days in advance for our 8/8 Beyond cruise. Europe is very strict and changes very fast. If they keep the old payment time of .90 days I may very well cancel before FP of Early May.

31 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thought you might be interested in what folks are saying regarding masks being mandated on some of the cruise ships setting sail today in this new thread. 😎

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2821764-on-reflection-now-masks-are-required-indoors/

Host Anne posted on this. It’s on all Celebrity ships leaving now. Celebrity is now masking indoors like all cruise lines now.

5 hours ago, RollWave said:

*Sorry - Reposting*

Date of sailing: Millenium - December 9, 2021

Cancel or Cruise: Cancelled

Rebooked or not? Other travel plans: Did not re-book. Waiting on FCC

Comment on why you made the decision (if you want) without bashing anyone who made a different choice:

We had a wonderful trip on Summit in October. We had a horrible trip on Constellation in November. We have an upcoming trip planned for Edge at the end of this month (January). The Edge sailing is one we have been looking forward to as it is a new ship for us and in Retreat. The Constellation sailing was so awful that we could not stand the thought of getting on a ship (a thought that we never in a million years imagined could happen) so we cancelled Millenium. We wanted to put some distance between the Constellation sailing and the upcoming Edge sailing as we really want to enjoy Edge. Sadly, as of today we are trying to decide what to do about the Edge sailing.

Why was your Constellation cruise so bad? Was it the ship itself or other factors? We sail on her tomorrow so just curious. 

27 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

Agreed. However, there does seem to be truth in this rumor. People were, apparently being handed a letter as they boarded, requesting indoor mask-wearing when not actively eating or drinking (see link above).

However, the fake news about the Harmony of the Seas does indeed appear to be false. There is nothing on the RCCL forum (I looked) that even remotely suggests 'hundreds of positive cases' above and beyond the reported 50 (49 crew and one passenger).

HOS threads are deleted as soon as they are posted.

Look at the Celebrity app re: masks 

EA15F959-4369-46FD-BE83-2202FC0D7234.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RollWave said:

It will depend on where you are on the ship. I have heard some cabins were updated and others were not. We were on Deck 11 in Aqua class in a relic of a cabin with multiple issues. Encountering others in our hallway we heard comments such as - surprising that Celebrity would allow passengers into cabins like this, the cabin is a dump, and this is the worst cruise ever.

Cabin Issues: Door was hard to open and would not lock from the inside - was fixed on day 2 after 2 service calls. Electrical issue in the wall so the bedside lamps would not work - was fixed late on day 2 after 3 service calls - the adjoining cabin had a similar issue. Brown & orange chunky water coming out of the bathroom sink - it was gross and stained the sink bowl. No hot water in the shower - instructed by management to let the sink and shower run together for a bit to get the water running. Interactive TV did not work so really nothing to watch and could not see the on-board account which lead to going to guest services to get a printout AND discuss the cabin issues - both met with blank stares and no offer to compensate. Wifi did not work in the cabin so we had to go out to the hallway and sit on a couch by the elevator bank. The room furnishings were old and tired - sagging, faded burgundy couch, old carpet, frayed throw pillows. The decorative sheer was missing from the slider and there were missing hooks for the blackout curtain, so it did not completely close. A direct quote from our cabin steward (to us and others around us) - please do not judge my service based on the condition of the cabin.

To note - we own a real estate business.  I could stay at home and work through a project punch list or manage a tenant's service requests. We were not at all pleased to do this while on a ship on behalf of Celebrity and with no apology, explanation, or compensation. Furthermore, being in a property business it is appalling to me that nobody at Celebrity walked the cabins to see if the electricity was working, if the door locked, if the water was running properly, if the TV worked, if components of the room were working or if they were missing - negligent and unacceptable especially since several of these issues were unsafe and unsanitary. 

There is more but I do not want to rehash - at points we felt we were being punked or on Candid Camera. I have let out TA know. I have been writing to Celebrity weekly with no response. This week I am sending a certified letter. Hopefully that will get a response. After that I may just turn it over to my son to handle.

Thanks for the detail.  I was of the understanding that no cabins were updated.  Not excusing this by any means, but wondering if you were on one of the first sailings?  I can't imagine anyone had previously sailed in that cabin and didn't report those things.  I had heard some feedback about the water issue on the first cruise or two.  Hopefully that is fixed by now.  We are sailing in a Sky Suite, but as I said, I don't think any cabins were updated so I am expecting a bit of wear and tear on the furniture.  But certainly not the amount of issues you experienced!

5 minutes ago, zwallace said:

Why was your Constellation cruise so bad? Was it the ship itself or other factors? We sail on her tomorrow so just curious. 

I answered above in #69. Copying below as well. I think it will depend greatly on your cabin - apparently some cabins were revolutionized and others were not. On our sailing the crew, in our opinion, differed to the larger groups - this was noticeable to us in Blu where we were a party of 2 and were lost in the shuffle several times during the five night sailing.

Copied from Post #69:

It will depend on where you are on the ship. I have heard some cabins were updated and others were not. We were on Deck 11 in Aqua class in a relic of a cabin with multiple issues. Encountering others in our hallway we heard comments such as - surprising that Celebrity would allow passengers into cabins like this, the cabin is a dump, and this is the worst cruise ever.

Cabin Issues: Door was hard to open and would not lock from the inside - was fixed on day 2 after 2 service calls. Electrical issue in the wall so the bedside lamps would not work - was fixed late on day 2 after 3 service calls - the adjoining cabin had a similar issue. Brown & orange chunky water coming out of the bathroom sink - it was gross and stained the sink bowl. No hot water in the shower - instructed by management to let the sink and shower run together for a bit to get the water running. Interactive TV did not work so really nothing to watch and could not see the on-board account which lead to going to guest services to get a printout AND discuss the cabin issues - both met with blank stares and no offer to compensate. Wifi did not work in the cabin so we had to go out to the hallway and sit on a couch by the elevator bank. The room furnishings were old and tired - sagging, faded burgundy couch, old carpet, frayed throw pillows. The decorative sheer was missing from the slider and there were missing hooks for the blackout curtain, so it did not completely close. A direct quote from our cabin steward (to us and others around us) - please do not judge my service based on the condition of the cabin.

To note - we own a real estate business.  I could stay at home and work through a project punch list or manage a tenant's service requests. We were not at all pleased to do this while on a ship on behalf of Celebrity and with no apology, explanation, or compensation. Furthermore, being in a property business it is appalling to me that nobody at Celebrity walked the cabins to see if the electricity was working, if the door locked, if the water was running properly, if the TV worked, if components of the room were working or if they were missing - negligent and unacceptable especially since several of these issues were unsafe and unsanitary. 

32 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

See post #27. There is reporting of cases in the hundreds, but whether you choose to believe the reporting is a different issue.

1 minute ago, phoenix_dream said:

Thanks for the detail.  I was of the understanding that no cabins were updated.  Not excusing this by any means, but wondering if you were on one of the first sailings?  I can't imagine anyone had previously sailed in that cabin and didn't report those things.  I had heard some feedback about the water issue on the first cruise or two.  Hopefully that is fixed by now.  We are sailing in a Sky Suite, but as I said, I don't think any cabins were updated so I am expecting a bit of wear and tear on the furniture.  But certainly not the amount of issues you experienced!

There have been reports from Retreat guests that their cabins were updated. Some, not all, of the common areas were also updated.

We were on the Constellation's first sailing. Considering the ship had been out of service for months on end and they had a crew on board getting things ready for the first sailing I would expect that a walk-through of every cabin would be conducted - run the water, turn the lights off & on, open & close the window treatments, check the ac, turn the TV on & off etc... I did not take time away from my life & business to do this for Celebrity. It was a miserable experience, and I will continue contacting Celebrity in every way possible until this entire experience is explained to me by Celebrity.

Also, as it was the first sailing since COVID, the ship was too full for a crew getting back to business. 

6 hours ago, Guindalf said:

I'm starting this thread out of curiosity. This is intended as a no judgement zone, so keep your opinions to yourself.

All I'd like to know is whether you have decided to cancel or keep your booking and cruise. So if you've made that decision, please go ahead and tell us...

Date of sailing:

Cancel or Cruise:

Rebooked or not? Other travel plans:

Comment on why you made the decision (if you want) without bashing anyone who made a different choice:

I would ask you to respect each other. neither choice is right or wrong, just personal.

We went back and forth on whether to sail on the 11 day cruise to the ABC Islands tomorrow. When they canceled Key West I almost canceled but didn't. We originally booked an Aqua cabin which would've been new for us. Then I was able to snag a corner aft which we've never had either so we gave up the Aqua cabin for the bigger room and huge balcony. Then came Omicron and canceled flights everywhere. At the end of the day we decided to risk it all and here we are in Tampa. Flights were not canceled,  covid tests were negative and who knows what the future holds? We are 65 and 70, in good health for our ages, and we don't want to live in fear until we die. I think there will be more variants, likely more serious  than Omicron, so we're cruising now, while we still can. If we sail the Caribbean for 11 days without getting off the ship, it still beats sitting in the house in Missouri in the cold winter. To each their own. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Where did you get that information?  Latest I could find online was approx. 69 cases, a very big difference from several hundred (not saying you're wrong - it could have changed)

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2022/01/articles/disease/harmony-of-the-seas-royal-caribbeans-latest-super-spreader-at-sea-cruise/

17 minutes ago, RollWave said:

I answered above in #69. Copying below as well. I think it will depend greatly on your cabin - apparently some cabins were revolutionized and others were not. On our sailing the crew, in our opinion, differed to the larger groups - this was noticeable to us in Blu where we were a party of 2 and were lost in the shuffle several times during the five night sailing.

Copied from Post #69:

I'm sorry that you had that experience. We switched from Aqua to a corner aft and if our room is that bad I guess I'll just sit out on the big deck and enjoy the wake.