Alaska on Viking

LisaLeone

Hello! We currently have a cruise booked, our first one on Viking. We are very exciting to try it out, having sailed mostly on Celebrity in the past (which we've truly enjoyed.) I am particularly drawn to the smaller ship. 

Because of timing and other factors,  we are considering switching our existing booking to Alaska this summer. I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences about how Viking does Alaska. 

Also, there are choices North to South or vice versa, both inside passage. Any thoughts on which itinerary might be preferable and/ or recommendations for port or starboard?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Wishing you all a safe 2022.

Didn't cruise with Viking but on similar small ship with Silversea. Definitely do the pre or post extension to Denali. Pick the side of the ship facing inland but honestly it didn't make a big deal of difference to us. loved Inside Passage. We did North to South.
Take advantage of more active excursions than usually offered by Viking. We loved a 2.5 mile uphill hike with a return on a river raft.

An idea of what you may see...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/seacoast_nh/albums/72157710589027786

Edited by philw1776
  • Thanks 1

We are booked to Alaska with Viking next summer, 2023.  We are doing the post extension to Denali.  I guess the only thing that concerns me right now is ensuring that Canada will be open by then.  Otherwise we won’t be starting in Vancouver.  We are still debating what to do as final payment in soon.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We are booked to Alaska with Viking next summer, 2023.  We are doing the post extension to Denali.  I guess the only thing that concerns me right now is ensuring that Canada will be open by then.  Otherwise we won’t be starting in Vancouver.  We are still debating what to do as final payment in soon.  

One of the reasons we are thinking about switching is that, should Covid still be shutting things down, the trip will be cancelled as opposed to having ports altered (IE European or Mediterranean ports.)

It all feels like a crap-shoot, doesn't it? Fingers crossed!

18 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

If Canada isn't open the cruise doesnt happen unless some other foriegn port is chosen. And by the way --- isn't "next summer" 2022?

5 minutes ago, duquephart said:

If Canada isn't open the cruise doesnt happen unless some other foriegn port is chosen. And by the way --- isn't "next summer" 2022?

I think of it as this summer, as in the one coming in the current year.

And yes. I would rather it be cancelled than altered. I chose trips based on ports.

25 minutes ago, LisaLeone said:

I think of it as this summer, as in the one coming in the current year.

And yes. I would rather it be cancelled than altered. I chose trips based on ports.

I always figure one that hasn't happened yet is the next one to happen.

7 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Are you aware that the road into Denali is closed at mile 30 so you miss most of the park?  Did Viking tell you that?

DON

9 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Um news flash, Canadian ports have been open to cruise ships since November. I doubt they will be closed again.

10 hours ago, LisaLeone said:

Hello! We currently have a cruise booked, our first one on Viking. We are very exciting to try it out, having sailed mostly on Celebrity in the past (which we've truly enjoyed.) I am particularly drawn to the smaller ship. 

Because of timing and other factors,  we are considering switching our existing booking to Alaska this summer. I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences about how Viking does Alaska. 

Also, there are choices North to South or vice versa, both inside passage. Any thoughts on which itinerary might be preferable and/ or recommendations for port or starboard?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Wishing you all a safe 2022.

Haven't been to Alaska with Viking, but have completed way too many Alaska cruises, both working and as a pax. Here are a few comments/considerations:

• Glacier Bay - Viking did win the last Glacier Bay permit lottery, as they were one of the cruise lines awarded entry permits. The website does not show Glacier Bay on the itinerary, so I would be asking if any of the 2022 are planned to visit GB. In well over a couple of dozen visits, I have never failed to get into GB and always got close to at least 1 glacier. Other glaciers, including Hubbard can be ice-bound rendering it unsafe for the ship to enter.
  • N'bd v's S'bd - seems to be an almost similar route. If everything else was equal, I would take a S'bd, as you transit the BC Johnstone Strait in daylight, whereas N'bd it is at night.
  • Side of ship - in Alaska, the views are mostly available on both sides of the ship

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Are you aware that the road into Denali is closed at mile 30 so you miss most of the park?  Did Viking tell you that?

DON

That is the only argument for NOT doing the Denali adventure. School busses travel along dirt roads with overhangs where poor maintenance or one driver error or (less likely) unexpected rockslide results in a Very Bad Day.
The good news is I've never heard of a herd of grizzlies attacking the bus.

Edited by philw1776
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, philw1776 said:

That is the only argument for NOT doing the Denali adventure. School busses travel along dirt roads with overhangs where poor maintenance or one driver error or (less likely) unexpected rockslide results in a Very Bad Day.

I've never heard of a herd of grizzlies. 😊

3 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Yea looking down thousands of feet in a rocking school bus on a 1 lane road that can be so close to another one coming in the other direction you can easily pass food across through the window is a bit disconcerting.

P7160088.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a question about our May 3 Alaska cruise (Vancouver to Seward).  We have a 9pm flight from Anchorage on May 12 with Viking transfers.  Does Viking transfer right away after  you check out. (around 9am)?  If this is true - we would have approximately a 9 hour wait at the airport.  Are there other options?

2 hours ago, sierra120405 said:

I have a question about our May 3 Alaska cruise (Vancouver to Seward).  We have a 9pm flight from Anchorage on May 12 with Viking transfers.  Does Viking transfer right away after  you check out. (around 9am)?  If this is true - we would have approximately a 9 hour wait at the airport.  Are there other options?

You have to get to Anchorage from Seward with by Train or Bus which can take over 4 hours.

The train will take you right inside of the airport.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, travelbug11 said:

You have to get to Anchorage from Seward with by Train or Bus which can take over 4 hours.

The train will take you right inside of the airport.

Take your own transfer that gives you time at the Alaska Wildlife Sanctuary on the way back to Anchorage.

DON

• Like 1

We will be taking a Viking cruise on Orion on 6/12/22 from Vancouver. This will be our third cruise to Alaska, spectacular scenery to say the least. We too have sailed on Celebrity many times and have been on one previous Viking cruise. I think a smaller ship for Alaska is better. Yes part of the road in Denali is closed because of rock slide. If you google the park you can get more information on this. Have been to Alaska before on both Princess and Oceania. Frankly I like the south to north route as after leaving Vancouver the scenery only gets more majestic heading north. I know you will enjoy Viking.

• Thanks 1