On Oasis after waiting 90 minutes family misses ship.

Karter

9 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

(BTW it turned out to be her first migraine.  Migraines are often set off by a change of routine which, of course, travel is.)

poor kid. I've had mine since I was 7. Two of the triggers are stress and lack of sleep, so I always get one during the first 1-3 days of the cruise. For me, it's not worth going on a fewer than 7 days cruises, because I know I would be out of commission for the first 1-3 days. As I get older, the migraines last a lot longer...

As for the topic at hand, I do have a story. This was our second cruise, and we were still unfamiliar with the concept of being late to return to ship. I mean - I couldn't even imagine that people could possibly be late. Also, at the time we didn't know that we didn't have to book the excursions through the ship.

🙂

I was 9 months postpartum and was still breastfeeding at the time. We left DS with my parents at home and embarked on a cruise just so I could get a break (DS was a prolific nighttime eater). I brought my breast pump with me so that I could pump in the cabin and then go on an excursion for several hours before I had to pump again. At that time I could go on for about 5 hours before my eyes popped out from pain. We chose a lovely 4 hour excursion which involved 3 stops with various activities. Well, darn it, a woman named Mary proceeded to be late by about 30-45 minutes after every stop, coming up with different excuses as to why she was late. We all sat on the bus waiting for HER and HER alone after every stop. This most obviously extended our RCI excursion to way past 6 hours, and I was in major pain for the last 2+ hours of it. I don't even know whether we were late returning to ship that day or not, but I was in too much pain to actually care about it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

I recommend you talk to a very techy person at length to make sure you have the settings on the Apple Watch such that it won't set automatically.  It's basically an iPhone in smaller format, so it will want to change according to the time zone just like a phone unless you tell it otherwise.  

Additionally, I'd recommend finding out what settings you'll need to change to avoid excessive cellular fees.

Thank you for that. I am a Apple freak and a ex cellphone service tech.

But that you for the reminder to turn the auto change time off. I bought this watch after my third fall this year but I also like having access to the time and my ECG reading.

🥰

• Like 1

2 hours ago, topnole said:

Nope.   The point is you might lose a photo copy or a phone.  That is why you email it to yourself so you can access no mater what is lost or stolen.  

Yep, that way you can access it at the police station after passing out behind Señor Frog’s and being robbed.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Yep, that way you can access it at the police station after passing out behind Señor Frog’s and being robbed.

Absolutely!

Of course you don’t need to be passed out to be robbed.  Take a visit and watch the pros work in Rome and Barcelona.   Also, people leave phones behind accidentally all the time when perfectly sober and not on vacation when completely distracted.  

Point being - Don’t just rely on a photo on your phone.  That is really bad advice and it is an insufficient back up strategy. Scan and email it to yourself too.  That is your most full proof method of accessing the documentation in the unlikely event you lose or are separated from your passport.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, flamingos said:

That's why I like balcony cabins on the dock side.  We once watched the last lady in St. Thomas arrive, then argue with the gate guard while the crew was busy closing up the gangway.  She was the worse for drink, as they say.

Lateness was almost standard when docked in Aruba.  Ship used to leave at 1 in the morning and had the pleasure of occupying a balcony and seeing Paxs ran to make the ship.  I used to laugh when Paxs in balconies rained sarcasm, profanity and ridiculousness on these individuals.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Karter said:

They announced at the D+/pinanacle celebration that the family decided to go to Miami.

I am not sure they had the option under current protocols. They may no longer allow joining the ship at the next port, whether by their rules or the country the next port is in.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

I am not sure they had the option under current protocols. They may no longer allow joining the ship at the next port, whether by their rules or the country the next port is in.

Miami is the Oasis' home port.  Essentially the family just bagged the rest of the cruise and elected to go back home.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BND said:

And, I realize sometimes they tell you to adjust the time, but we've only really had that happen on Mexican Riviera and maybe once or twice on other cruises.

Mid-cruise time changes seem to becoming more common, and they may soon become the rule more than the exception.  I expect that it actually has something to do with the fact that so many now are relying on cell phones that automatically adjust time based on location or signal.  I've been on 4 cruises since the Summer restart, three with Celebrity and one with Silversea, and every one has had at least one time change (not including the change back because of the loop).

I do recall the days where ship was what it was when the ship sailed from the initial port, and it didn't change.  I'm not sure what I like better.  There is something to be said for matching up with the local port time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Mid-cruise time changes seem to becoming more common, and they may soon become the rule more than the exception.  I expect that it actually has something to do with the fact that so many now are relying on cell phones that automatically adjust time based on location or signal.  I've been on 4 cruises since the Summer restart, three with Celebrity and one with Silversea, and every one has had at least one time change (not including the change back because of the loop).

I do recall the days where ship was what it was when the ship sailed from the initial port, and it didn't change.  I'm not sure what I like better.  There is something to be said for matching up with the local port time.

Actually we've found the opposite.  They've become less common in the 16+ years we've been cruising.  Our Mexican Riviera cruise in 2006 had the most time changes we've ever had.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, topnole said:

Nope.   The point is you might lose a photo copy or a phone.  That is why you email it to yourself so you can access no mater what is lost or stolen.  

I usually have all of the above and the screenshots are on every device (my phone and tablet + DH's phone). Can you tell I'm not taking any chances? I wonder if I'm overdoing it. 😄

32 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

I usually have all of the above and the screenshots are on every device (my phone and tablet + DH's phone). Can you tell I'm not taking any chances? I wonder if I'm overdoing it. 😄

If you scan and mail it to yourself and a travel mate that is all you need as back up.  The copy is just for emergency purposes anyhow and that alone is sufficient.  If you are separated from your passport you will have to get help either way and at that point you just pull up the email.  No harm in a photo copy or photo on the phone,  but people worrying about carry a printed copy on any island don’t need to if they just email themselves and another in their party.   Save the email in it’s own directory and you always have available quickly anywhere in the world once you access your email.  

4 minutes ago, topnole said:

If you scan and mail it to yourself and a travel mate that is all you need as back up.  The copy is just for emergency purposes anyhow and that alone is sufficient.  If you are separated from your passport you will have to get help either way and at that point you just pull up the email.  No harm in a photo copy or photo on the phone,  but people worrying about carry a printed copy on any island don’t need to if they just email themselves and another in their party.   Save the email in it’s own directory and you always have available quickly anywhere in the world once you access your email.  

I just put in my pictures and in Dropbox. Both on the cloud and can access from anywhere. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

I just put in my pictures and in Dropbox. Both on the cloud and can access from anywhere. 

That is a good way too.  But everyone seemingly has email.  Not so much for cloud storage.  And even if they do, if they lose their  main device they may not know how to access the cloud storage when away.  With email you can easily just email it to your wife and the same back.  Done.  Now it is stored in the cloud.  Simple and done.  You each have a copy of each other’s that both can separately access in an emergency.  Not as easy with Dropbox.  

13 minutes ago, fliprcruiser said:

FWIW Celebrity Equinox in November had an hour forward around day 5, then 1 hour back last sea day going back 1 hour enroute to Port Everglades.

Try a transatlantic.  A lot of changes all trip.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, topnole said:

Try a transatlantic.  A lot of changes all trip.  

YES. Honestly, the reason I prefer westbound TAs to eastbound is solely the time -- a redeye flight to Europe and gain an hour 6 times on the ship.

13 minutes ago, topnole said:

That is a good way too.  But everyone seemingly has email.  Not so much for cloud storage.  And even if they do, if they lose their  main device they may not know how to access the cloud storage when away.  With email you can easily just email it to your wife and the same back.  Done.  Now it is stored in the cloud.  Simple and done.  You each have a copy of each other’s that both can separately access in an emergency.  Not as easy with Dropbox.  

(I work in IT) due to the way email works, sending sensitive info unencrypted such as photos of identification is similar to the analogy of mailing your ID copy printed on a post-card.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tumbley said:

(I work in IT) due to the way email works, sending sensitive info unencrypted such as photos of identification is similar to the analogy of mailing your ID copy printed on a post-card.

So what is the alternative you suggest?   If someone gains access to my gmail for example they can also access my g drive.  So lots of cloud stuff is just as vulnerable, right?   And aren’t a lot of email systems encrypted?

1 hour ago, xtremegk said:

YES. Honestly, the reason I prefer westbound TAs to eastbound is solely the time -- a redeye flight to Europe and gain an hour 6 times on the ship.

Yeah.  But I much prefer the flight back home.  Can’t sleep well on flights and the goal on the way home is to stay up and crash as soon as you are home.  We have done both.  The 25 hour days are nicer than 23 hour days.  That is for certain!   Both are great for me.  I love a week plus with nothing but the ocean in site.  

11 hours ago, topnole said:

Yup, I email/store Everything just in case and still have paper copies

45 minutes ago, topnole said:

So what is the alternative you suggest?   If someone gains access to my gmail for example they can also access my g drive.  So lots of cloud stuff is just as vulnerable, right?   And aren’t a lot of email systems encrypted?

Gaining access to your account is not the main thing I'm referring to - rather, email travels through networks in the clear text/unencrypted - thus my post card analogy.

I don't want to get too technical:

1) yes, nowadays connection between the user and the mail server (be it webmail in the browser, or email app) is usually encrypted

2) email is passed from the origin mail server to the destination through multiple servers on the way, and there is no encryption

3) at the destination, there again is encryption between the server and the user

This (oversimplified) step #2 is the reason that email is unsuitable for anything sensitive.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, brillohead said:

I recommend you talk to a very techy person at length to make sure you have the settings on the Apple Watch such that it won't set automatically.  It's basically an iPhone in smaller format, so it will want to change according to the time zone just like a phone unless you tell it otherwise.  

Additionally, I'd recommend finding out what settings you'll need to change to avoid excessive cellular fees.

The newer Apple watches changes time even on airplane mode.  It causes a “problem” when the ship time is different than the local time.