Live From Orion “French Polynesia Jan 5 2022”

RICHARDandSTEFAN

12 minutes ago, RICHARDandSTEFAN said:

Our cruise is (fingers crossed) coming together nicely. We are all finally beginning to shed our cloaks (not masks) and mingle. So nice to see this all happening. Cheers to us all.

It was very nice finally getting to meet with you guys and have a great chat.  I hope we will have a smoother sailing from now on after a rather rock and roll start the first two days.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Johaz said:

No letter for me either, but it was just confirmed that we cannot leave the Viking bubble, but not cancelling anything yet. 

Does this apply to a specific port or the whole cruise. Thanks.

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Wow, could you get your money back and go back home?

It certainly changes the value of the cruise. We signed up agreeing to all the restrictions: masks, testing etc. but not been able to leave the Viking group or ship is a game changer. How frustrating will it be to sit on anchor or docked in the islands without the possibility of going ashore? If only there were sufficient excursions, we could explore a little bit but many excursions are full. It's not too late for Viking to do something about it since this is a Viking rule, not a local government restriction.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jacquesmm said:

It certainly changes the value of the cruise. We signed up agreeing to all the restrictions: masks, testing etc. but not been able to leave the Viking group or ship is a game changer. How frustrating will it be to sit on anchor or docked in the islands without the possibility of going ashore? If only there were sufficient excursions, we could explore a little bit but many excursions are full. It's not too late for Viking to do something about it since this is a Viking rule, not a local government restriction.

When we talked to guest services they said they were trying to add more, but they didn't sound optimistic.   Also our TA sent us an email that went out to all Viking Passengers after ours that said this would be company wide policy for Jan/Feb.  We just got stuck with short notice because things changed to quickly. 

Just as there is at least one couple who did not get to do the Cruise following this thread, we who are not scheduled to be on the Orion until March are following to see  what happens on your  journey.

Wish you all well.  Have done several Viking Ocean and loved the experience. We did the South Pacific just precovid but not on Viking.   Great area to visit.

Here is to smooth sailing ahead... Know things can change quickly

21 minutes ago, good2gocruise said:

When we talked to guest services they said they were trying to add more, but they didn't sound optimistic.   Also our TA sent us an email that went out to all Viking Passengers after ours that said this would be company wide policy for Jan/Feb.  We just got stuck with short notice because things changed to quickly. 

51 minutes ago, jacquesmm said:

As I just returned from the Viking Orion Mexican Riviera Sojourn cruise, flexibility is a requirement.  We had 3 of our 5 ports of call cancelled, one of the day of entry, the other two the day before entry. Viking worked to come up with alternative solutions. Spent 3 days in Puerto Vallarta, and 3 in Cabo. There were no additional excursions offered. This is a very fluid time with Royal Caribbean, Norweigen , Cunard cancelling cruises, and ships being denied entry to ports world wide. You are safe on Viking, enjoy yourself, things can and do change daily.

• Like 3

Time to educate the Viking newbie please...question for the experienced Viking cruisers...how do I order a bottle of wine to enjoy on my balcony? I don't see anything on the TV where I can see the wine list or order a bottle? I am in a suite and have the beverage package if that makes a difference in the process/answer. Thanks in advance!

Just now, JLBriese said:

Time to educate the Viking newbie please...question for the experienced Viking cruisers...how do I order a bottle of wine to enjoy on my balcony? I don't see anything on the TV where I can see the wine list or order a bottle? I am in a suite and have the beverage package if that makes a difference in the process/answer. Thanks in advance!

Simply call room service. The explorers desk or ask your room attendant. Easy Peazy. Enjoy. 

1 hour ago, JLBriese said:

There is usually a room service menu with a wine list in the notebook that in a non suite is located on the coffee table/stool.  

Keep in mind that whole bottles aren’t included in the Silver Spirits package (only a discount on them) but individual glasses are. 

1 hour ago, JLBriese said:

Just ask, and ye shall receive……wish were were there to share that bottle 😢

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

There is usually a room service menu with a wine list in the notebook that in a non suite is located on the coffee table/stool.  

Keep in mind that whole bottles aren’t included in the Silver Spirits package (only a discount on them) but individual glasses are. 

On our WCs whole bottles from the "good" list were available.  Not all wines but even the uncharge ones had a discount.  For example we liked a Valpolicella that, with the discount, Viking sold us at the same price as Total Wine.  Remarkable for a cruise ship.  Like most things that was pre covid but I understand from pals onboard that lots of bennies are included.  🍸

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

On our WCs whole bottles from the "good" list were available.  Not all wines but even the uncharge ones had a discount.  For example we liked a Valpolicella that, with the discount, Viking sold us at the same price as Total Wine.  Remarkable for a cruise ship.  Like most things that was pre covid but I understand from pals onboard that lots of bennies are included.  🍸

That’s probably true on WC, but the question was asked by someone on the Polynesian Cruise. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

That’s probably true on WC, but the question was asked by someone on the Polynesian Cruise. 

Yes, I know but the current cruisers to Polynesia are getting some goodies too.  At least according to pals onboard.  33 days isn't it?  Does that qualify as a "Grand Voyage"?🍸

10 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Yes, I know but the current cruisers to Polynesia are getting some goodies too.  At least according to pals onboard.  33 days isn't it?  Does that qualify as a "Grand Voyage"?🍸

Maybe but nothing was advertised Pre cruise like what is advertised for the WC. 

3 hours ago, JLBriese said:

When we sailed, we asked our room cabin Stewart to replace the liquor bottles in our mini bar ( we were in PV) with a bottle of Merlot  and a bottle of Chardonnay….they were replaced every couple of days by new bottles..No problem!😁

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

When we sailed, we asked our room cabin Stewart to replace the liquor bottles in our mini bar ( we were in PV) with a bottle of Merlot  and a bottle of Chardonnay….they were replaced every couple of days by new bottles..No problem!😁

Yes, that's what we did. We now have wine in the minibar. We are on the same cruise, ask the steward.

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Maybe but nothing was advertised Pre cruise like what is advertised for the WC. 

Haha, like DonandGary said:  Ask and ye shall receive.  And I have known several pals with better negotiating skills than I who have done well for themselves...

• Like 2

You all seem way luckier than we are...I asked our steward yesterday if there was a wine menu for our room so I could look for wine to order from room service and his response was "No, we don't have that. Please ask at the bar."...not the service level I was expecting. But again, first time Viking cruiser so maybe my expectations are out of whack?

4 minutes ago, JLBriese said:

You all seem way luckier than we are...I asked our steward yesterday if there was a wine menu for our room so I could look for wine to order from room service and his response was "No, we don't have that. Please ask at the bar."...not the service level I was expecting. But again, first time Viking cruiser so maybe my expectations are out of whack?

I believe these are different departments, food vs. alcohol beverage or whatever and one can't place an order in the other. 

If anyone saw the buffoons walking the wrong way on Deck 2 yesterday morning, that was us! 🙋‍♀️🙋‍♂️

I was absolutely “sure” that the proper direction was counter-clockwise, until I read the daily at lunchtime, and I am never a rule-breaker, so stuck to my guns. 🤦‍♀️

We’ll be out there again this morning going CLOCKWISE, so say hi! 😃

• Haha 2