Specialty dining question

BellsRUs

We have a group of 10 going on the Sky Princess in February. I am unable to reserve the steak house for 10 people unless we are seated at multiple tables. Does anyone know why? Is it because there isn't a way for them to push tables together to seat 10? Or some other reason? We really wanted to go there for my birthday...

Patti

54 minutes ago, BellsRUs said:

We have a group of 10 going on the Sky Princess in February. I am unable to reserve the steak house for 10 people unless we are seated at multiple tables. Does anyone know why? Is it because there isn't a way for them to push tables together to seat 10? Or some other reason? We really wanted to go there for my birthday...

Patti

Given  that all the meals in the steakhouse are cooked to order,  I'm not sure that a table for 10 is a great idea, although I understand why you want to do it.

By the time the 10th person at your table is served, the steak for person number 1 will be past its' best .

Personally I would ask for two adjoining tables.

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

Given  that all the meals in the steakhouse are cooked to order,  I'm not sure that a table for 10 is a great idea, although I understand why you want to do it.

By the time the 10th person at your table is served, the steak for person number 1 will be past its' best .

Personally I would ask for two adjoining tables.

Or let it be understood that when meal arrives for some, just go ahead and eat.  Another thought is how long does the CG kitchen staff leave the steaks sitting after completing cooking on the grill?  It is best to let the steak rest before cutting into it.  But other things may cool down too much.  IDK how many people they can cook for and serve at once - never tried a large group.  But restaurants on land do this all the time.

The tables in the Crown Grill aren’t that big and there isn’t much space to “push tables together.” Plus, if you push tables together, most of you won’t be able to talk to the others. 

I was on the Royal a few years ago and was part of a group that arranged to have a section of the Crown Grill with the tables in one long line. It was nice but the people at each end got left out of conversations as they could really only chat with the people next to them. 

• Like 1

Agree with everything already posted. To add, on some ships Princess has a group section. Am not familiar if the Sky has this feature. Suggest you book the two tables. Then on boarding day visit the Crown Grill and discuss tables & location.

Another thing to watch. The Sky's Crown Grill will be adjacent to a bar/lounge area. Look at the deck plans. Some of the tables are next to the lounge seating. You probably want to be seated in the back away from this bar/lounge.

• Like 1

I can speak only to the situation currently in the Crown Grill on the Grand. 
just spoke to the Head Waiter who advised the largest table here is for 6 (See photo)

he said they cannot easily move tables as they are anchored down. (I didn’t test this.)

his suggestion is for a group of 10 to be seated in this area (see photo) which seats 12 with only a little space between tables. 

704A63A4-53BF-4B23-8AD0-854C20A0D68C.thumb.jpeg.b22ca4689b347684e31198aa9f4aca84.jpeg079B6478-3143-4482-BF7E-4FBD1359AA6D.thumb.jpeg.9bbb0f8f8da956d0fb8ab05426f27dff.jpeg

• Like 1

The largest table I have seen in a Crown Grill sat six diners.  On a Grand Class ship some years ago we had dinner in the Crown Grill, one evening and there was a party of 12 enjoying their dinner.  They were seated at two rectangular-shaped 6-tops situated next to each other.  As a previous poster has already commented, tables on a ship are secured to the deck.  They can't just be moved around.

I recall this particular evening so clearly becauase my wife and I were seated at a table that was adjacent to these two 6-tops, and our waiter was also responsible for this party.  He was, pretty much, running ragged.  I do not blame the party of 12 for enjoying their evening.  I blame the headwaiter, who should have been on the dining room floor monitoring the operation, observing that this one waiter could use some assistance and taking action to improve the service level of his room.  Sadly, that particular headwaiter did not see that as his responsibility.