onboard spend

Electra 7

13 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

It is not the first time I have had issues with Cunard about why US cruisers seem to get better deals than UK cruisers. I queried why it is normal practice or at least very often that cruisers from the US who book QG/PG suites get a free drinks package and gratuities but it very rarely if at all gets offered to UK cruisers booking the same suites. The response I got from Cunard when I queried this was corporate nonsense and gobbledygook with no genuine answer.

Presumably to do with greater choice available to U.S customers?

2 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

Presumably to do with greater choice available to U.S customers?

The choice is no greater for US customers than UK customers the cruise programme is exactly the same for all Cunard ships. The only thing that varies is flights wherever the cruise starts and is the same principle whther US customers fly to UK prior to cruise or UK customers vice versa. The only variant is $/£ exchange rate which might make cruises slightly dearer in one country than the other but not a reason for offer free drinks packages/gratuities. On one cruise we were in QG and were chatting to a couple from US and they had free drinks package and gratuities and the only difference between their costs and ours was price of flights to get them to the UK to pick up ship in Southampton.

11 hours ago, majortom10 said:

The choice is no greater for US customers than UK customers the cruise programme is exactly the same for all Cunard ships.

I meant choice of cruise lines. Maybe they need to offer the extras to compete. They're mot going yo be giving away anything they don't need to to attract custom.

54 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

I meant choice of cruise lines. Maybe they need to offer the extras to compete. They're mot going yo be giving away anything they don't need to to attract custom.

You have to admit it is not right that somebody from the US can be booked in QG/PG suite and gets free drinks package/gratuities at a cost of nearly $2400 for a couple on a 14 nt cruise that UK cruisers dont get. Sorry but that cannot be right

18 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

You have to admit it is not right that somebody from the US can be booked in QG/PG suite and gets free drinks package/gratuities at a cost of nearly $2400 for a couple on a 14 nt cruise that UK cruisers dont get. Sorry but that cannot be right

It doesn't bother me what others pay/get and as it never crops up in conversation or anywhere else. I wouldn't know anyway but has anyone done a proper breakdown of total costs so comparisons can be made?

32 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

But almost all costs in the US - petrol, food, taxes, lawyers, scotch, whatever - differ from those in the UK. Why would you expect this one to be the same?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

It doesn't bother me what others pay/get and as it never crops up in conversation or anywhere else. I wouldn't know anyway but has anyone done a proper breakdown of total costs so comparisons can be made?

Many times and the only difference is a minor difference due to exchange rates between $ and £ which is understandable and the only extra is flights which makes cruises more expensive but that works for both sets of customers whether flying to UK or US.

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

No i don't agree. They are different markets with different competition and different consumer expectation. Cunard (and every cruise line) will have a very deep understanding of each market and will have tested price points, giveaways and anything else to find the optimum offer to each market. Every business which operates internatiinally has to tailor it's offering to local markets in one way or another.

5 hours ago, majortom10 said:

It's called the free market

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

It's called the free market

It is called giving US cruisers preferential treatment over UK cruisers. I have tried whilst onboard 2 cruises on QE in August and November to purchase FCDs for future use to be told that they have been discontinued and are no longer available from Cunard. So how come a US cruiser can buy a FCD onboard QM2 in December and have until 2025 to use FCD. That isnt a free market that is treating US cruisers better than UK cruisers.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

It is called giving US cruisers preferential treatment over UK cruisers. I have tried whilst onboard 2 cruises on QE in August and November to purchase FCDs for future use to be told that they have been discontinued and are no longer available from Cunard. So how come a US cruiser can buy a FCD onboard QM2 in December and have until 2025 to use FCD. That isnt a free market that is treating US cruisers better than UK cruisers.

Perhaps they changed their policy between November and December? Irritating, I know, but possible.

17 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Perhaps they changed their policy between November and December? Irritating, I know, but possible.

When I asked Future Cruise Sales on QE in November I was told they had stopped doing FCDs and it was a permanent move made by Senior Management of Cunard and not a temporary decision due to Covid.

It works both ways. This evening I booked a rental car in L.A. with a big rental car brand. The .com site quoted me approx $1000. The price I got via the same brand .co.uk site with the same additions/insurance etc. was £380. 

In fact, whilst researching prices I also noticed references to certain offers only being available to people not resident in the state where the car is being rented. Same principle.

Edited by jimbo1683

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

It is called giving US cruisers preferential treatment over UK cruisers.

It's offering what they need to offer to secure the custom of those U.S consumers.

Do you think it done out of the goodness of someone's heart, or to spite UK cruisers?

Edited by jimbo1683

14 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

It's offering what they need to offer to secure the custom of those U.S consumers.

Do you think it done out of the goodness of someone's heart, or to spite UK cruisers?

Personally think Carnival plc favour US cruisers than UK cruisers with better offers and benefits whatever the cruise line they own.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 12:04 PM, majortom10 said:

Personally think Carnival plc favour US cruisers than UK cruisers with better offers and benefits whatever the cruise line they own.

And you think that's a purely emotional decision, nothing whatsoever to do with commercial reality?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

And you think that's a purely emotional decision, nothing whatsoever to do with commercial reality?

No I think it is a purely commercial decision made by Cunard i.e. Carnival after having reason to contact Cunard over last few years on differing reasons and given no definitive reason for the differences. They either waffle with no answer or with the corporate answer of "differing markets". I have recently contacted Cunard via Facebook and also by e-mail to Cunard's Executive office asking why I wasnt able to purchase FCD on QE in August & November to be told they have been permanently discontinued but a US cruiser was able to purchase one in December on QM2. They have contradicted themselves by one saying it was only a temporary decision not permanent and "perhaps" they have been reintroduced to be then told they have been discontinued permanently. When asked and shown proof of purchase of FCD in December was initially told "different markets" and then when I confirmed that this was onboard QM2 with cruisers onboard from both US and UK asked so you are telling me that a US cruiser can purchase FCD onboard but a UK cruiser would be refused they have gone quiet and have not responded. I think that tells you a lot.

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

No I think it is a purely commercial decision made by Cunard i.e. Carnival after having reason to contact Cunard over last few years on differing reasons and given no definitive reason for the differences. They either waffle with no answer or with the corporate answer of "differing markets". I have recently contacted Cunard via Facebook and also by e-mail to Cunard's Executive office asking why I wasnt able to purchase FCD on QE in August & November to be told they have been permanently discontinued but a US cruiser was able to purchase one in December on QM2. They have contradicted themselves by one saying it was only a temporary decision not permanent and "perhaps" they have been reintroduced to be then told they have been discontinued permanently. When asked and shown proof of purchase of FCD in December was initially told "different markets" and then when I confirmed that this was onboard QM2 with cruisers onboard from both US and UK asked so you are telling me that a US cruiser can purchase FCD onboard but a UK cruiser would be refused they have gone quiet and have not responded. I think that tells you a lot.

Substantive points well constructed, but it would be interesting to discover if preference is given to either a USA resident, or to bookings made in the USA.  The USA is known for it’s legitimate requirement for the perceived fairness of reciprocity in all matters. 
This thread is generating food for thought.

Please post the official reply, if received, from Cunard.

4 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Substantive points well constructed, but it would be interesting to discover if preference is given to either a USA resident, or to bookings made in the USA.  The USA is known for it’s legitimate requirement for the perceived fairness of reciprocity in all matters. 
This thread is generating food for thought.

Please post the official reply, if received, from Cunard.

The last reply I had was from Cunard via Facebook and their final answer was that they would pass it on to a higher level. The last e-mail from the executive correspondence e-mail address was that they are sticking with the story of nobody at present in the UK can purchase FCD whilst onboard. They apologised that a US citizen had purchased a FCD and are sticking with the story "differing markets" and they cannot answer what they offer their guests. They are completely ignoring the fact that the FCD was purchased on QM2 with people of all nationalities and they have full control of who they sell FCDs too. Reading between the lines from the wording of the e-mail I am of the belief that anyone can buy FCDs onboard or at least US citizens can but UK citizens cannot. So if true if you enquire about purchasing onboard they would have to ask or find out from your profile on the computer what nationality they are. I have not had any further communication from them since last Tuesday and dont expect to get any more response.

19 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

The last reply I had was from Cunard via Facebook and their final answer was that they would pass it on to a higher level. The last e-mail from the executive correspondence e-mail address was that they are sticking with the story of nobody at present in the UK can purchase FCD whilst onboard. They apologised that a US citizen had purchased a FCD and are sticking with the story "differing markets" and they cannot answer what they offer their guests. They are completely ignoring the fact that the FCD was purchased on QM2 with people of all nationalities and they have full control of who they sell FCDs too. Reading between the lines from the wording of the e-mail I am of the belief that anyone can buy FCDs onboard or at least US citizens can but UK citizens cannot. So if true if you enquire about purchasing onboard they would have to ask or find out from your profile on the computer what nationality they are. I have not had any further communication from them since last Tuesday and dont expect to get any more response.

As Americans are always seeking for them to be granted reciprocity in all matters, one is in no doubt there will be many American members of CC, who will now fully support your efforts to gain reciprocity, for all Cunarders, not just Americans, in the true sense of fairness.

Have you considered to elevate the matter, is some detail, to

Executive.Correspondence@carnivalukgroup.com

3 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

As Americans are always seeking for them to be granted reciprocity in all matters, one is in no doubt there will be many American members of CC, who will now fully support your efforts to gain reciprocity, for all Cunarders, not just Americans, in the true sense of fairness.

Have you considered to elevate the matter, is some detail, to

Executive.Correspondence@carnivalukgroup.com

That is the e-mail address that I have been in contact with at Cunard with response as previously stated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2022 at 6:38 AM, majortom10 said:

No I think it is a purely commercial decision made by Cunard i.e. Carnival after having reason to contact Cunard over last few years on differing reasons and given no definitive reason for the differences. They either waffle with no answer or with the corporate answer of "differing markets"

I definitely believe it's due to market differences. This is not Cunard-specific, but this YouTube video looks at how much some cruise fares can vary by market. And, in these cases, it's not in favor of the States:

45 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

I definitely believe it's due to market differences. This is not Cunard-specific, but this YouTube video looks at how much some cruise fares can vary by market. And, in these cases, it's not in favor of the States:

I am sorry but I dont. It is a corporate decision made by either Carnival or Cunard and is a decision to treat UK cruisers differently than US cruisers. It cannot be right that if a person goes into Future Cruise Sales onboard QM2 and be sold as many as they want as long as they are a US citizen but the next person goes in is a UK cruiser to be told no we have discontinued them. That cannot be right. There is also the difference that a US cruiser has 4 years to use their FCDs but in UK when they were sold they had to be used within 1 year.

Edited by majortom10