Name of Atoll here Hawaii

papae

26 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Fanning Island (Kiribati) not an Atoll

Definition of atoll:  "a ring-shaped reef, island, or chain of islands formed of coral."

Satellite photo of Fanning Island:

Tabuaeran Kiribati.jpg

Sorta looks like an atoll to me, and I've been there.  When the Pride of Aloha did the run, I think we did 8 day cruises that were 2 sea days each way (plus the first night), and Big Island, Maui, and Kauai.  I seem to remember alternating with 6 day purely Hawaii trips.  This was to meet the contractual agreement with Kiribati for the number of port visits per year.  This was right before Aloha was reflagged to Bahamian.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

chengkp75

Thanks for correcting my post/error and the additional input - information.

That Kiribati - not much there - it was a tender port ? - I don't see a pier -

Looks like if everyone left the POA it would overwhelm the island facilities.

For the islanders, there is no power other than what they care to generate with portable units.  NCL spent a million bucks or so to put a power plant and vacuum sewage unit into a compound they built there.  Yes, a tender port.  First 3-4 tenders in the morning (we got there at the crack of dawn) took all the food and much of the food service supplies to the compound kitchen.  It was basically a big barbeque, some snorkeling and sailboats in the lagoon.  While the guests were ashore, we had a small flat deck boat come out to the ship with a couple of military type fuel bladders that we filled with diesel for the power plant.

The major industry in Fanning is kelp harvesting, that is sold for thickening agent for ice cream and hair care products, and copra (coconut fiber) .  I think there were about 700 on the island, until Kiribati decided to spread out the nation's population, and transplanted Gilbert Islanders there, until there were about 2500.  I see from Wiki that the seaweed company has slowed or stopped operation, and the population has decreased.  

A US couple were sailing their boat across the Pacific, and it sank off Fanning.  The couple returned to the states on a freighter, but had to leave their dog behind.  Pride of Aloha volunteered to bring the dog (after 4 months not being eaten on the island) to Hawaii for quarantine and eventual return to his owners.  I see from the article about it, that we were doing 12 days to Fanning, and alternating that with 9 day, to keep to a 21 day rotation.

Kiribati is a vast island nation, the capital in Tarawa is over 2000 miles away from Fanning.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 3

I was going through old photos over the holidays and came across my pictures from visiting Fanning Island on the NCL Star in 2002, when a foreign port had to be included on the Hawaii cruises.   It was memorable due to its isolation, and certainly unlike any Caribbean port stop.  I am glad I had the opportunity, and I have wondered if any cruise ships ever stop there now.

Not only was it a tender port, but I seem to recall the captain announcing that the ship was in waters too deep to drop anchor, and the engines had to be used to keep the ship in position.  

The 7-night itinerary was 3 ports in Hawaii, one sea day to Fanning Island, one day there, one sea day back.  

A boy, not speaking English, approached me with a shell necklace when I was taking a walk.  I shook my head and indicated that I didn't have cash with me.  He pointed to my sunglasses.   We made a trade, and then he led me back to meet who I presume was his father.   It's a sweet memory,   😎

Fanning Boy.jpg

• Like 4

Our very first cruise was in 2005, on NCL Wind.  It was 10d Hawaii islands, with 2 days to Fanning Island, 1 day there, and 2 days back.  It was a great visit to Fanning Island.

My party took the morning tender, while my wife and I rented a bike each to ride around.  We then went back with our group to enjoy the water/beach, sailing boat, etc.  It was a very nice vacation and first cruise.  We fell in love with cruising from that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, papae said:

Years a go I took a 7 day cruise out of Hawaii & one of the stops was a small atoll.

I know they don’t stop there anymore I just need the name.

thanks

My guess is that you are referring to Fanning Island.  My husband and I made 3 cruises there on the NCL Star.  We found it fascinating and were so sorry when NCL discontinued their visits there.  I would love to go back, but the only way is on one of those 45-60+ day, very expensive cruises.  

• Like 1

I am thinking the Original Poster is referring to Kiritimati, which is the largest atoll in the island country of Kiribati. It's about three hours south of Honolulu by jet, and Fiji Airways used to fly there once a week. Cruise ships used to stop at Kiritimati (Christmas Island) years ago, but then they started going to Fanning Island. Then they were supposed to move back to Kiritimati but I don't know what happened. Kiritimati is famous for being the site of where the British did air burst above ground nuclear testing a long time ago. 

I visited there in 2015 for some scuba diving.

By the way, do not confuse the Christmas Island (Kiritimati, Kiribati) with the one off the coast of Australia! Completely different places!

Edited by Leela

There is the Atoll of Molokini off the shores of Maui where alot of Cruisers go snorkeling. Not sure of any cruise ships stopped there over the years. 

On the subject of Fanning Island my wife and I did a 10 day cruise on the Star back in December of 2003 with a stop at Fanning Island. Back in those days it was said that one in three of the cruises to Fanning were interrupted because of medical evacuations. Sure, enough on our first morning out to Fanning the Captain announced that our ship was making a turn to allow for a medical helicopter to pick up a passenger needing medical attention. After the passenger was picked up the next announcement stated that our itinary was to change. Instead of Fanning Island we were going to Kona. We in turn got two full day in Maui instead of the planned half day. It was a win for us but a loss for Fanning. There are alot of Fanning Island stories out there. Tim

5 minutes ago, vivian02 said:

There is the Atoll of Molokini off the shores of Maui where alot of Cruisers go snorkeling. Not sure of any cruise ships stopped there over the years.

I've gone scuba diving at Molokini island.  It is NOT a place for cruise ships to stop.  It gets rough from noon onward due to trade winds, sometimes even in late morning.  That's why dive/snorkel boats all start very early in southwest Maui.  My dive boat went out at 6:30am.

After we finished the first morning dive, getting back on the boat, there were lots of other dive/snorkel boats.  It is not a place for cruise ship to stop and try to let tender boats to take people go snorkeling there.  Not enough room.

We did our 2nd dive in the back wall (only for advanced divers).  When we finished and were going back in late morning, the wind was picking up and waves much bigger and many snorkel boats were heading back.

We were on the 10-Day Norwegian Wind Cruise to Fanning Island, February 2006.

This was to be the Wind's final season in HI doing the Fanning Island Trip.

We had a fabulous day on the Island & have amazing memories and pictures...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Middleager said:

I've gone scuba diving at Molokini island.  It is NOT a place for cruise ships to stop.  It gets rough from noon onward due to trade winds, sometimes even in late morning.  That's why dive/snorkel boats all start very early in southwest Maui.  My dive boat went out at 6:30am.

After we finished the first morning dive, getting back on the boat, there were lots of other dive/snorkel boats.  It is not a place for cruise ship to stop and try to let tender boats to take people go snorkeling there.  Not enough room.

We did our 2nd dive in the back wall (only for advanced divers).  When we finished and were going back in late morning, the wind was picking up and waves much bigger and many snorkel boats were heading back.

Google Map of Molokini Island - Zoom Out for reference to the Hawaiian Islands

Google Maps

Molokini Island (crater) is about a third of mile wide

On 1/6/2022 at 4:17 PM, papae said:

Years a go I took a 7 day cruise out of Hawaii & one of the stops was a small atoll.

I know they don’t stop there anymore I just need the name.

thanks

On 1/6/2022 at 6:32 PM, chengkp75 said:

Definition of atoll:  "a ring-shaped reef, island, or chain of islands formed of coral."

Satellite photo of Fanning Island:

Tabuaeran Kiribati.jpg

When the Pride of Aloha did the run, I think we did 8 day cruises that were 2 sea days each way (plus the first night), and Big Island, Maui, and Kauai.  I seem to remember alternating with 6 day purely Hawaii trips.  This was to meet the contractual agreement with Kiribati for the number of port visits per year.  This was right before Aloha was reflagged to Bahamian.

On 1/7/2022 at 12:41 AM, Joanne G. said:

I was going through old photos over the holidays and came across my pictures from visiting Fanning Island on the NCL Star in 2002, when a foreign port had to be included on the Hawaii cruises.   It was memorable due to its isolation, and certainly unlike any Caribbean port stop.  I am glad I had the opportunity, and I have wondered if any cruise ships ever stop there now.

Not only was it a tender port, but I seem to recall the captain announcing that the ship was in waters too deep to drop anchor, and the engines had to be used to keep the ship in position.  

The 7-night itinerary was 3 ports in Hawaii, one sea day to Fanning Island, one day there, one sea day back.  

We did a cruise with the Pride of Aloha in May 2006, 8 days/7 nights roundtrip from Honolulu with stops at Maui, Hilo, Kona and Hawai. Dont' remember (and have no photos from) stopping at any atoll though..... Was maybe on the itinerary before that time then?

8 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

We did a cruise with the Pride of Aloha in May 2006, 8 days/7 nights roundtrip from Honolulu with stops at Maui, Hilo, Kona and Hawai. Dont' remember (and have no photos from) stopping at any atoll though..... Was maybe on the itinerary before that time then?

We sailed May 2006 too.  NCL America had three ships there at the time.  POA, Pride of Aloha (Sky), and Pride of Hawaii (Jade).

Aloha, I would have to look at brochure, but it may have had some alternating trips but it mostly did the longer trips to Kiribati.

Then 2008 hit and then just POA.

Star has some info in one of the history sections of it when it was in Hawaii and went to Kiribati.

19 hours ago, Middleager said:

I've gone scuba diving at Molokini island.  It is NOT a place for cruise ships to stop.  

True! Also, (to get to the OPs question) Molokini is the remnants of a collapsed volcanic cinder cone, it's not an atoll. 

P.S. I really enjoyed diving the back wall of Molokini!!

• Like 1

We did our first NCL cruise on the Wind, 10 days around the islands with one day at Fanning Island. After 20 more NCL cruises and many others, its still our favourite island. Its the closest we've got to the South Pacific. Tahiti, Fiji, etc have always been on the bucket list, but who knows now.

The people were so friendly. We went for a walk to the village and the little children followed us everywhere. Such  big smiles.

Tony  and Debbie

• Like 2