Nexus Trusted Traveler Renewal

iancal

Rec'd a renewal notice from Nexus earlier this month.  Mine expires in June.

Renewed on line.  It did not take much time.  A highlighted notice came up saying that they were running as much as TWO YEARs behind on admin.  BUT....in the interim as long as you have your submitted your on line  renewal application in your Nexus card expiry will be extended.

DW was thankful she had a Nexus card just before Xmas.  It enabled her to bypass a very long airport security line and whiz through the Nexus line for her domestic flight.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Any predictions on when they might open for interviews for new applicants? I understand it's just a guess, but we are new to this program. We unfortunately were late to the game and only applied last Nov. Waiting on interviews to open up.  I knew when we applied the wait for an interview could take many months but now two years behind??? Yikes. 

Expect a long wait but keep checking website for interview dates opening up and be flexible as to where/how far you are willing to go. Our experience ( a very long story🥺):

In August 2019, I read that Nexus renewals were backlogged by several months so I made renewal applications for my husband’s (renewal date, his birthday, May 2020) and mine (renewal date, October 2020, my birthday). Heard nothing but kept checking application status online which always said in progress. Finally, about April 2021,  mine was still in progress but my husband’s application said to make an interview appointment. The only place open for interviews was Lansdowne, ON (we live in Montreal) so I made one for the first available date, August. 

In early July, I just received my new card in the mail with expiration date for October 2025– I did not require an interview and about a week earlier, my application still said in progress. About a week before my husband’s interview, he received an email cancelling his interview, telling him to make a new appointment; so, at that time, the only available location having interviews was Niagara. We made an appointment for October because we could also visit my sister who lives there. It was also cancelled about a week before.

When it was announced in November that land borders were opening, he was able to get an appointment for December 2nd in Vermont (again the only place available) but a snowstorm cancelled that one. At that point, interviews opened at the New York crossing, got one for January 12th which was also cancelled because of omicron.

He called that office and spoke to someone and asked if he could just get his card like I did, but, no. Renewal interviews are random🤷🏻‍♀️but she told him that his card will still be valid until he gets the interview. So, advice— apply as soon as possible…

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
3 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Does anyone know if the expiry on the nexus card will be extended?  My card expires at the end of the year.  I submitted my application as soon as I could at the start of July.  No news yet.  Thanks.

Since you submitted your renewal application prior to expiry your Nexus card will be extended 24 months while the backlog is worked through.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Senga said:

We had no trouble renewing our NEXUS cards online and no interview was required.  I don’t understand why you would need to go through the process again.

Because they required it. It depended on when your card expired. Those whose cards expired  relatively recently seemed to have been granted automatic renewals without needing an interview. My card expired in August 2020, and while it was extended for more than 2 years, I WAS required to go through the full in-person process. Did it two weeks ago at a border crossing in upstate New York.  Interestingly, my renewed card is only good for three years, not the full 5 years as it is dated from when  the old card expired, in 2020.

Edited by lx200gps

My card expired August 2020.  Way in advance of the expiry I went to renew and I received notification that I must present for an in-person interview to renew.  Okay...  no worries.  

I booked that in-person interview at Toronto Pearson International Airport, then covid hit and all in-person appointments were cancelled.  I have been waiting and checking to rebook since.  I visit the site approximately every 2 months to see if anything has opened up and all Canadian sites within reasonable travel distance for me are still closed.

The site used to say that my card expiry would be extended a certain time frame, now it just says pending renewal, without any dates on it....

I have traveled several times in the last 12 months and it seems to still work at the airports...

I would  like to get this renewed but don't understand why most every business is operating like pre-covid not but the government is not?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

My card expired August 2020.  Way in advance of the expiry I went to renew and I received notification that I must present for an in-person interview to renew.  Okay...  no worries.  

I booked that in-person interview at Toronto Pearson International Airport, then covid hit and all in-person appointments were cancelled.  I have been waiting and checking to rebook since.  I visit the site approximately every 2 months to see if anything has opened up and all Canadian sites within reasonable travel distance for me are still closed.

The site used to say that my card expiry would be extended a certain time frame, now it just says pending renewal, without any dates on it....

I have traveled several times in the last 12 months and it seems to still work at the airports...

I would  like to get this renewed but don't understand why most every business is operating like pre-covid not but the government is not?

Same experience here, no Canadian offices open for the interview, so I had to drive an hour to Upstate New York for my interview. Canadian and US agents share the same office at the US-side NEXUS office. According to the news articles just a few weeks ago, the Canadian NEXUS offices are staying closed because of a dispute between the US and Canadian Gvts over the US demand that their agents in these NEXUS offices here in Canada be armed

12 hours ago, Senga said:

We had no trouble renewing our NEXUS cards online and no interview was required.  I don’t understand why you would need to go through the process again.

If your personal data,  i.e passport, drivers license, address or employment history has not changed since you first enrolled for the NEXUS program, then you will normally not need to attend an interview. Those with changes will need to be interviewed, as will those whose indices checks turn up something requiring clarification. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

If your personal data,  i.e passport, drivers license, address or employment history has not changed since you first enrolled for the NEXUS program, then you will normally not need to attend an interview. Those with changes will need to be interviewed, as will those whose indices checks turn up something requiring clarification. 

My data definitely did not change and yet I did have to have a face to face with both US and Canadian agents at the office in upstate New York. For those of us whose NEXUS cards expired near the start of the pandemic, we were subject to the usual renewal requirements, i.e. in-person interviews. As the pandemic wore on, from posts here on CC and elsewhere, folks whose cards expired later were given a "free" renewal and didn't require an interview.

1 minute ago, lx200gps said:

For those of us whose NEXUS cards expired near the start of the pandemic, we were subject to the usual renewal requirements, i.e. in-person interviews

Even prior to the pandemic, "usual renewal requirements" did not include an interview unless one or more of the circumstances that I mentioned above existed. DW and I renewed with no interview in 2018. While your data may not have changed, it's quite possible that the indices checks resulted in a hit on someone with the same or similar name.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Since you submitted your renewal application prior to expiry your Nexus card will be extended 24 months while the backlog is worked through.

Mine expires in Jan/2023 and my wife Apr/2023.  We both applied and paid for renewal in mid-July.  No news yet.

Are they still extending 24 months, or could something else be happening.  I see some US offices listed for appointments but are after my Jan/2023 expiry.

2 hours ago, Middleager said:

Mine expires in Jan/2023 and my wife Apr/2023.  We both applied and paid for renewal in mid-July.  No news yet.

Are they still extending 24 months, or could something else be happening.  I see some US offices listed for appointments but are after my Jan/2023 expiry.

I would suggest checking the US website very regularly, as cancellations do happen. I cancelled and re-booked appointments at two different locations a number of times, going from an October 2022 appointment to a June 2022 appointment one hour closer to my home.

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

My partner and I had the same expiry date.  He was renewed online no issue.  I was informed that I needed to have an in-person interview.

7 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Same experience here, no Canadian offices open for the interview, so I had to drive an hour to Upstate New York for my interview. Canadian and US agents share the same office at the US-side NEXUS office. According to the news articles just a few weeks ago, the Canadian NEXUS offices are staying closed because of a dispute between the US and Canadian Gvts over the US demand that their agents in these NEXUS offices here in Canada be armed

Yes, I saw the article about the need for US agents to be armed and that this is not working for the Canadian side.... 

49 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I would suggest checking the US website very regularly, as cancellations do happen. I cancelled and re-booked appointments at two different locations a number of times, going from an October 2022 appointment to a June 2022 appointment one hour closer to my home.

My closest location is a 2 or 2.5 hour drive each way + a border crossing.  The earliest appointment is end of February 2023.

They have my $50 application fee from the original application.  I wish that there was a way to cancel the renewal application and start over, even if I had to pay the $50 again.