Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

We are considering sailing on a Princess ship out of Southampton in May. If we tested positive for Covid more than 11 days, less than 90 days on embarkation date. If we produce a previous positive test result, do we still need some sort of "Certificate  of recovery" to get onboard? 

We are confused about the meaning or the paragraph on the Princess website that says  " or: A valid digital COVID-19 certificate (DCC) or a document issued by an official health or government authority showing confirmed previous infection."

Where do you obtain such a document? I have seen ads from various clinics that sell them for around $60. You apply online for them. How do they know that you have really recovered? There is no real "doctors" who would exam you first?

I am presuming the answer is if we have the original positive test result, we don't need either one of the other documents? 

Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 within three months of their embarkation, do not need to get a viral test before embarkation if they are at least 10 days past their COVID-19 infection, have no symptoms and produce documentation of recovery from COVID-19 infection.

Documentation of Recovery consists of the following:

• Paper or electronic copies of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days ago), or
  • A valid digital COVID-19 certificate (DCC) or a document issued by an official health or government authority showing confirmed previous infection.

Guests who present these documents will need to go through a secondary screening at the terminal and boarding will be approved at the medical staff’s discretion. If guests are not able to obtain documentation of recovery that fulfills the above requirements, they will need to take the required COVID-19 viral test and show a negative result.

21 hours ago, amby6063 said:

We’re Canadian and will be arriving in California April 26, testing at home before our flight from Vancouver bc using a monitored rapid test report. 
We are going to be staying at Knott’s Berry Farm from April 26-29 (Friday) until we board Discovery Princess in LA. 

I know we will need to get testing on Thursday. Is there any free testing we can access anymore in the states? I’ve read conflicting stuff saying you can just go in to Walgreens/ CVS and show Canadian ID and say you don’t have insurance and receive a test that way… any truth to that?

Soooo stressful having to worry about all of this before a vacation. There are 8 of us total on the cruise and i’m so scared one of us will test positive before boarding 😞 

I have read many of the posts on this thread about pre-cruise testing. I will be testing here in Washington state (near Seattle) and I had never heard of this company but think I will be using them because they offer the Abbott ID Now(NAAT) with results within 2 hours. They have sites in California also. book.Curative.com

I have tried going through many pages of this thread but cannot find the exact answer to my questions.

1.  Do I have to use the Medallion App or can I do things the old way and fill out stuff manually?  I did go to the website on my computer and entered some info.  So Dining times, etc can they be done via the website too or wait til we board? Very confused.

2.  We are travelling from Australia (we know we need a covid test prior to boarding our flight) to the US to visit family in KY and then coming to LAX area a few days prior to the cruise.  Can we get a test at the cruise terminal? or do we need to find somewhere to do it prior to that time?

Thanks for any help!

Hi Barbara, 

As far as I am aware , you can only book dining through the Medallion App, you can get tested on the pier on day of departure but you must book from 10 days in advance of departure , Princess is charging $100 per Antigen test . I would prefer to get tested 2 days before departure , leaning towards the Fairmount Hotel , $125CAD, pricey I know but my wife will now not have to test as she has last week tested positive using PCR testing , she will shortly receive a goverment issued certificate detailing this which will exempt her from testing before boarding . 
Hope this helps ! 

On 4/15/2022 at 12:24 AM, amby6063 said:

We’re Canadian and will be arriving in California April 26, testing at home before our flight from Vancouver bc using a monitored rapid test report. 
We are going to be staying at Knott’s Berry Farm from April 26-29 (Friday) until we board Discovery Princess in LA. 

I know we will need to get testing on Thursday. Is there any free testing we can access anymore in the states? I’ve read conflicting stuff saying you can just go in to Walgreens/ CVS and show Canadian ID and say you don’t have insurance and receive a test that way… any truth to that?

Soooo stressful having to worry about all of this before a vacation. There are 8 of us total on the cruise and i’m so scared one of us will test positive before boarding 😞 

I’m on the same cruise and have an appointment to test on Apr 26 at CVS. It’s the test with results in 1 or 2 days. There are a number of CVS locations near Knotts offering this test. I would make an appointment which are available now. The Rapid Results test doesn’t seem to be available any longer at CVS after Apr 20 which was the one I took for a March 5th cruise. Now I must say I don’t know if non-US citizens are allowed to test for free. The other alternative to is buy the BinaxNow proctored test as mentioned in the Princess section regarding testing which is much less than taking one at the pier.

10 hours ago, highloyo said:

I’m on the same cruise and have an appointment to test on Apr 26 at CVS. It’s the test with results in 1 or 2 days. There are a number of CVS locations near Knotts offering this test. I would make an appointment which are available now. The Rapid Results test doesn’t seem to be available any longer at CVS after Apr 20 which was the one I took for a March 5th cruise. Now I must say I don’t know if non-US citizens are allowed to test for free. The other alternative to is buy the BinaxNow proctored test as mentioned in the Princess section regarding testing which is much less than taking one at the pier.

Are you doing a pcr test? Otherwise doesn’t it need to be within 1 day of the cruise? Did you have to prepay to book online for testing? 
I had covid (confirmed via pcr) less than 3 months ago and am getting recovery letter from my doctor this week, so I think I just won’t test myself if I don’t have to. But wonder if it will be a challenge not having it either. 

On 4/15/2022 at 8:46 AM, d9704011 said:

And packing three or four thousand people on a ship and heading out to sea where assistance may be difficult to come by in the event of a serious outbreak.

So what do you mean by "serious outbreak"?  The only "assistance" needed is if the sick bay is overwhelmed and/or folks required ICU and unless cruise ships create a new strain the data says that even if every person got a case the numbers requiring hospitalization would not be "serious".

On 4/15/2022 at 10:29 PM, alibabacruisers said:

I have tried going through many pages of this thread but cannot find the exact answer to my questions.

1.  Do I have to use the Medallion App or can I do things the old way and fill out stuff manually?  I did go to the website on my computer and entered some info.  So Dining times, etc can they be done via the website too or wait til we board? Very confused.

This is the wrong thread for Medallion help, however: You don't have to use the Medallion for anything prior to boarding. It just makes it "easier" to get ready for the cruise...if it works for you. YMMV

You can fill out some things online with the web-based app (again - if it works for you).

Dining can only (currently) be arranged on the app or wait until you're on the ship.

See "Ocean Medallion App - part 3" for more info.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

This is the wrong thread for Medallion help, however: You don't have to use the Medallion for anything prior to boarding. It just makes it "easier" to get ready for the cruise...if it works for you. YMMV

You can fill out some things online with the web-based app (again - if it works for you).

Dining can only (currently) be arranged on the app or wait until you're on the ship.

See "Ocean Medallion App - part 3" for more info.

Forgive me for posting this here, but I felt I needed to reply to the dining reservation question. I had trouble making reservations in the dining rooms on my app, so I called the customer service at Princess. They have people who make reservations for dining, only. Once I made my reservation over the phone, it finally showed up in my app. I will have to make a few changes once we board, but I won't have to worry about the whole trip.

39 minutes ago, 9CB said:

Forgive me for posting this here, but I felt I needed to reply to the dining reservation question. I had trouble making reservations in the dining rooms on my app, so I called the customer service at Princess. They have people who make reservations for dining, only. Once I made my reservation over the phone, it finally showed up in my app. I will have to make a few changes once we board, but I won't have to worry about the whole trip.

You're lucky you were able to get through and got someone who knew how to do it...others have tried and failed.

1 hour ago, 9CB said:

Even if you can get reservations you will not starve. Don’t worry be happy

15 hours ago, amby6063 said:

l it need to be within 1 day of the cruise? Did you have to prepay to book online for testing? 
I had covid (confirmed via pcr) less than 3 months ago and am getting recovery letter from my doctor this week, so I think I just won’t test myself if I don’t have to. But wonder if it will be a challenge not having it either. 

Hi amby6063, I posted q question regarding this "recovery letter" but did not get a reply. I was wondering if we had tested positive via a home test, would it be worthwhile to go to a clinic and get an official test done to prove that it has been more than 11 days, and less than 90 days since the positive test, then we can give this "recovery letter" to Princes, and we can skip having to produce a negative test result prior to boarding. Does that have to be done through our family doctor? I have read that some people continue to test positive even they have fully recovered. I have also seen ads online you can pay for this letter, I wonder how do they really know you have fully recovered without even examining you?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gam888 said:

Hi amby6063, I posted q question regarding this "recovery letter" but did not get a reply. I was wondering if we had tested positive via a home test, would it be worthwhile to go to a clinic and get an official test done to prove that it has been more than 11 days, and less than 90 days since the positive test, then we can give this "recovery letter" to Princes, and we can skip having to produce a negative test result prior to boarding. Does that have to be done through our family doctor? I have read that some people continue to test positive even they have fully recovered. I have also seen ads online you can pay for this letter, I wonder how do they really know you have fully recovered without even examining you?

Worth your while to book a PCR test at a local travel clinic and get a report of the results.  You do not need a doctor referral and you must be tested so don't pay for a letter without doing all of that.  Probably cost you $120 - $200 depending on where you get it done.

23 hours ago, amby6063 said:

Are you doing a pcr test? Otherwise doesn’t it need to be within 1 day of the cruise? Did you have to prepay to book online for testing? 

@amby6063Its the PCR/NAAT test with results 1-2 days (fingers crossed). It was 1 day but changed to 3 days if “up to date” status which I am, fully faxed plus 2 boosters. There isn’t an out of pocket charge for me but I’m not sure about non US citizens. Good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, highloyo said:

@amby6063Its the PCR/NAAT test with results 1-2 days (fingers crossed). It was 1 day but changed to 3 days if “up to date” status which I am, fully faxed plus 2 boosters. There isn’t an out of pocket charge for me but I’m not sure about non US citizens. Good luck.

we’re doing the pcr at CVS on the 26th now too, booked appts last night. I just said ‘no insurance’ and it didn’t charge me or mention payment so fingers crossed! That is ‘3 days before’ and should give plenty of time for the results to come in. 

only question, are they firm on having to drive thru? We won’t have a vehicle with us of course and hopefully I don’t need to get an Uber to sit and wait while we all get tested haha. 

WWYD?? 

My CVS antigen test was just canceled. In fact the Minute Clinic WC site is now closed. So I went online & found 2 options similar distance from my home:

> StatMed Concord $125 total / $25 to me (bills insurance), receptionist states I need to request antigen as that is not the default test, results by end of day. 9 miles away

> OnPoint Antioch $69. I submit to insurance which may not reimburse but its only $69.  Results in 1 hr via email only. 11 miles away

Edited by Ombud

48 minutes ago, Ombud said:

WWYD?? 

My CVS antigen test was just canceled. In fact the Minute Clinic WC site is now closed. So I went online & found 2 options similar distance from my home:

> StatMed Concord $125 total / $25 to me (bills insurance), receptionist states I need to request antigen as that is not the default test, results by end of day. 9 miles away

> OnPoint Antioch $69. I submit to insurance which may not reimburse but its only $69.  Results in 1 hr via email only. 11 miles away

Are you scheduling this test the day before you're supposed to board the ship?

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Are you scheduling this test the day before you're supposed to board the ship?

No. Wednesday for boarding Saturday. But leaving Wednesday noon & returning Friday

Edited by Ombud

9 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Isn't Wednesday a little early for an antigen test for a cruise that leaves on Saturday?

No. I'm UP TO DATE with 2 boosters boarding in USA. If I was in Canada I couldn't test until Thursday. I'm going to the more expensive one as they bill my insurance. I'll do OnPoint for the next cruise when I leave for the airport at 1pm

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, travelhound said:

Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation, maybe this will lead to removing the testing requirement for all vaccinated passengers on cruise ships.  It's about time 🙂

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/federal-judge-blocks-mask-mandate-for-public-transportation

First of all this will be appealed  and most likely be turned down. Also many airports are keeping the ban anyway (PDX is one). And the federal ban has absolutely nothing to do with testing and cruise ships

6 minutes ago, memoak said:

First of all this will be appealed  and most likely be turned down. Also many airports are keeping the ban anyway (PDX is one). And the federal ban has absolutely nothing to do with testing and cruise ships

Yup, but it is a step in the right direction.  Hopefully this will all be over with soon. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, travelhound said:

Yup, but it is a step in the right direction.  Hopefully this will all be over with soon. 

Cruise lines have to be extra careful. One huge outbreak and all hell would happen. Cruising is much different than air travel or train travel. Vaccinations are going to be required for a long time and testing probably for most of this year