Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

41 minutes ago, CdnCrooser said:

My question was "if using an antigen test is everyone boarding the ship not required to follow the 2 day rule?" So the answer is YES??

I used the information in this link:  https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-april-1-2022 

Yes

14 hours ago, travelhound said:

I would be happy to skip Canada 🙂

Then you need to change federal law or have all Alaskan cruises go trough Mexico. Also if you are going to start all cruises in Seattle then you will need to cut amount of cruises since Seattle cannot handle as many ships as Vancouver can

• Like 1

1 hour ago, erber said:

Mike & Zen,

One area of still continued confusion is related to this link where it talks about pre-entry test requirements in the event you are on a cruise ship that at any point docks in Canada. This provides the the more restrictive testing requirements -- 2 day antigen test rule and the 72 hour rule for PCR test instead of 3 days. This is where it is so confusing. Does this apply because we will be on a cruise that docks at the end in Vancouver? Or,  is it superceded by the April 14 regulations about vaccinated travelers not requiring a pre-entry test and therefore we can go with the Princess statement that if vaccinated and boosted we can get an Antigen or PCR test within 3 days of boarding in U.S.?

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Ah yes, and that is where people have fallen into the Government of Canada website not up to date.

If you read the complete long boring part, I mention that there is a site that is 50% right and wrong, that is the site.  The two day part for antigen test was updated; however, the verbiage that says, "... or board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise" is the incorrect and outdated part.  In fact, during the first week of April when the changes came into effect I sent a note to that site to update from 1 day to 2 days for the antigen test, which they did on April 11, 2022, but I missed the outdated part quoted above.  I did send another note to correct that part over the long weekend, but will see if they update it.  But don't hold your breath as their focus is the ArriveCAN online and app.

You can ignore that part that is outdated.  In addition, I have called ArriveCAN many times with queries to make sure I got it right.   The no testing requirement for entering Canada by water (marine) is in the ArriveCAN app, too.  You are good to go!  Since you are disembarking in Vancouver, you use the Canada Place address.

Canada Place

100 The Pointe, 999 Canada Place

Vancouver, BC, V6C 3T4

When boarding in Whittier, since it is USA, you follow US CDC and Princess cruise line requirements as in their FAQs for US testing.  And no testing required to ENTER Canada (Vancouver) effective April 1, 2022.   But before boarding in Whittier you must use the ArriveCAN app or online.  I prefer the app.

Have a good cruise.

1 hour ago, bmc alabama said:

I guess the one thing I just don't get is the need to fill out ArriveCan if you don't get off the ship in Victoria. What information would they need that wouldn't already be on the cruise manifest?

You will not be allowed on board without filling out the app. It is one of the requirements of your cruise. I just filled out the first portion and it includes type and dates of your first 2 vaccines

4 minutes ago, memoak said:

You will not be allowed on board without filling out the app. It is one of the requirements of your cruise. I just filled out the first portion and it includes type and dates of your first 2 vaccines

I get that you HAVE to do it, just seems a bit dumb to require it for those not getting off in Victoria.  I mean, you have to be fully vaccinated to board the ship, so what's the point?

Seems to me this is Canada not wanting to have to be bothered with having it's CBP agents having to do it, so they are offloading responsibility to the cruise lines...

Edited by bmc alabama
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CdnCrooser said:

Thank you for the detailed explanation, but now I am confused, on the web site it states: 

Testing Framework

All passengers 5 years of age and over will be required to provide a pre-embarkation test prior to being on board the following vessels:

• A large cruise ship that is a Canadian vessel operating anywhere
  • A large or small cruise ship that is a foreign vessel operating in Canadian waters; and
  • A small cruise ship that is a Canadian vessel docking at ports outside of Canadian waters

It goes on to say:

Pre-Embarkation Testing Requirements for Passengers

To fulfill the above requirements, passengers requiring a pre-embarkation test will need to provide one of the following:

• Evidence of a negative COVID-19 molecular test (e.g. PCR test) – performed on a specimen collected from the person no more than 72 hours prior to their initial boarding of the cruise ship.
  • Evidence of a negative COVID-19 antigen test (e.g. RAT) – performed on a specimen collected from the person no more than 2 days before initially boarding the cruise ship.
  • Evidence of a positive result for a COVID-19 molecular test that was performed on a specimen collected from the person at least 10 days and no more than 180 days before the person initially boards the cruise ship.

Am I understanding this incorrectly, if using an antigen test is everyone boarding the ship not required to follow the 2 day rule?

You have those three choices prior to boarding your cruise ship that originates/embarks in Canada.  Just pick one.  I'm going to use the within 2 days Antigen when we board our cruises embarking in Vancouver... its less expensive.   

8 minutes ago, Mike & Zen said:

Ah yes, and that is where people have fallen into the Government of Canada website not up to date.

If you read the complete long boring part, I mention that there is a site that is 50% right and wrong, that is the site.  The two day part for antigen test was updated; however, the verbiage that says, "... or board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise" is the incorrect and outdated part.  In fact, during the first week of April when the changes came into effect I sent a note to that site to update from 1 day to 2 days for the antigen test, which they did on April 11, 2022, but I missed the outdated part quoted above.  I did send another note to correct that part over the long weekend, but will see if they update it.  But don't hold your breath as their focus is the ArriveCAN online and app.

You can ignore that part that is outdated.  In addition, I have called ArriveCAN many times with queries to make sure I got it right.   The no testing requirement for entering Canada by water (marine) is in the ArriveCAN app, too.  You are good to go!  Since you are disembarking in Vancouver, you use the Canada Place address.

Canada Place

100 The Pointe, 999 Canada Place

Vancouver, BC, V6C 3T4

When boarding in Whittier, since it is USA, you follow US CDC and Princess cruise line requirements as in their FAQs for US testing.  And no testing required to ENTER Canada (Vancouver) effective April 1, 2022.   But before boarding in Whittier you must use the ArriveCAN app or online.  I prefer the app.

Have a good cruise.

2 minutes ago, Mike & Zen said:

You have those three choices prior to boarding your cruise ship that originates/embarks in Canada.  Just pick one.  I'm going to use the within 2 days Antigen when we board our cruises embarking in Vancouver... its less expensive.   

Thank you. Which Canada government web site is the best for checking when there is an update?

3 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

I get that you HAVE to do it, just seems a bit dumb to require it for those not getting off in Victoria.  I mean, you have to be fully vaccinated to board the ship, so what's the point?

Seems to me this is Canada not wanting to have to be bothered with having it's CBP agents having to do it, so they are offloading responsibility to the cruise lines...

Yes, I understand your concern.  ArriveCAN has being required since COVID, I believe it came out in the Fall of 2020, and is used for anyone entering Canada by all means...air, land, water as you know.  I somewhat agree, but don't know the full details.  The times we flew back from the US to Vancouver, YVR, I flashed our ArriveCAN, and the CBSA just gave it a cursory look...from what I understand when you submit your info, it links with your travel docs such as passport that was submitted so they have it already.  Anyone know for sure?  I always take paper copies of everything, too, just in case.  

19 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

Yup, Canada is a major PIA.  Hopefully they will get the memo soon 🙂

2 minutes ago, Mike & Zen said:

Yes, I understand your concern.  ArriveCAN has being required since COVID, I believe it came out in the Fall of 2020, and is used for anyone entering Canada by all means...air, land, water as you know.  I somewhat agree, but don't know the full details.  The times we flew back from the US to Vancouver, YVR, I flashed our ArriveCAN, and the CBSA just gave it a cursory look...from what I understand when you submit your info, it links with your travel docs such as passport that was submitted so they have it already.  Anyone know for sure?  I always take paper copies of everything, too, just in case.  

I will fill it out, that's not a problem.  I'm just not sure what the Government of Canada will get out of it when I am enjoying my dinner on the ship (It has always bugged me that Victoria is during dinner.  It creates a mad rush of folks trying to eat at 5:30 and creates bottlenecks.  I get the timing as its when you can get there, and that they are only stopping there to satisfy the PVSA, which is another rant, but you don't get much from 4 1/2 hours in port after 7pm..  Rant over... 🙂  )

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CdnCrooser said:

Thank you. Which Canada government web site is the best for checking when there is an update?

The ArriveCAN for sure as it is used everyday when someone enters the Canadian border, and I have called the ArriveCAN help toll free number to clarify some issues.  Just make sure you asked the question correctly, lol.

In addition, I subscribe for free, to get Transport Canada updates as they change the bulletins such as the one No. 18/2021 for cruising, updated April 1, 2022.  Here is the link to sign up, in yellow on the right

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins

What is the appropriate answer for a Canadian living in Canada as to how you arrived in Canada ? When you are completing form to board a Cruise ship in Vancouver do you use the Marine option even though you aren't arriving by Cruise ship?

Still at a loss as to why Canadians have to complete an application to arrive in Canada when we are already in Canada makes no sense to me.

1 minute ago, bmc alabama said:

I will fill it out, that's not a problem.  I'm just not sure what the Government of Canada will get out of it when I am enjoying my dinner on the ship (It has always bugged me that Victoria is during dinner.  It creates a mad rush of folks trying to eat at 5:30 and creates bottlenecks.  I get the timing as its when you can get there, and that they are only stopping there to satisfy the PVSA, which is another rant, but you don't get much from 4 1/2 hours in port after 7pm..  Rant over... 🙂  )

Rant heard...lol.  Yeah, some cruise lines are here all day.

https://gvha.ca/cruise/cruise-schedule/current-season/

6 minutes ago, Mike & Zen said:

The ArriveCAN for sure as it is used everyday when someone enters the Canadian border, and I have called the ArriveCAN help toll free number to clarify some issues.  Just make sure you asked the question correctly, lol.

In addition, I subscribe for free, to get Transport Canada updates as they change the bulletins such as the one No. 18/2021 for cruising, updated April 1, 2022.  Here is the link to sign up, in yellow on the right

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins

Thank you

6 minutes ago, travelhound said:

Yup, Canada is a major PIA.  Hopefully they will get the memo soon 🙂

Yeah, I've read your posts bashing Canada many times.    I thought it was a rule on Cruise Critic no bashing allowed....anyway, as my many American friends have said,  "Bless your heart" and have a great day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike & Zen said:

Yeah, I've read your posts bashing Canada many times.    I thought it was a rule on Cruise Critic no bashing allowed....anyway, as my many American friends have said,  "Bless your heart" and have a great day!

Maybe I watch too much South Park 🤔 

6 minutes ago, victoriaj said:

What is the appropriate answer for a Canadian living in Canada as to how you arrived in Canada ? When you are completing form to board a Cruise ship in Vancouver do you use the Marine option even though you aren't arriving by Cruise ship?

Still at a loss as to why Canadians have to complete an application to arrive in Canada when we are already in Canada makes no sense to me.

7 minutes ago, victoriaj said:

If I recall, if you are boarding a cruise ship in Canada that is doing a one way, lets say from Vancouver to (Whittier, Hawaii, California, Japan, etc), and you are disembarking at those destinations, ArriveCAN is not required.  Are you able to call the ArriveCAN toll free number?

21 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

You must have an inferior itinerary. I have often had full days in Victoria and will have another on a coastal in 29 days

6 minutes ago, Mike & Zen said:

If I recall, if you are boarding a cruise ship in Canada that is doing a one way, lets say from Vancouver to (Whittier, Hawaii, California, Japan, etc), and you are disembarking at those destinations, ArriveCAN is not required.  Are you able to call the ArriveCAN toll free number?

Actually doing B2B 7 days  Vancouver-Vancouver  so believe we have to do ArriveCan?

Just now, memoak said:

You must have an inferior itinerary. I have often had full days in Victoria and will have another on a coastal in 29 days

Well, not sure about that.  We'll be on Crown Princess out of Seattle and get plenty of time in Glacier Bay.  As I've already been to Victoria, I'll take the trade...

But yes, I'll heartily agree that if you were wanting to tour Victoria, this isn't the itinerary for you...

5 minutes ago, memoak said:

You must make a heck of a neighbor. I wonder why you even want to take a cruise 

I am not sure that I do want to keep my reservation for an Alaskan cruise if the PIA factor is too high.  But there is some hope:

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2022/02/18/bill-from-alaskas-congressional-delegation-would-allow-cruises-to-bypass-canada-ports-again/#:~:text=In 2020%2C Canada stopped allowing,a statement announcing the bill.

1 hour ago, bmc alabama said:

We sail May 2nd - 12 days to Alaska round trip out of Vancouver. Our return itinerary includes:

May 13    Victoria    7:00AM    5:00PM

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We sail May 2nd - 12 days to Alaska round trip out of Vancouver. Our return itinerary includes:

May 13    Victoria    7:00AM    5:00PM

Nice!  Do you get the full inside passage up the Eastern side of Vancouver Island as well?  I think that's the other drawback of going out of Seattle...