Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

28 minutes ago, memoak said:

Well we have a Canal cruise out of Fort Lauderdale in March 2023 and so far there are almost no non stops except for red eyes  We May have to take a flight  that gets in at 8:30 pm the night before the cruise. 

We are getting off topic, but have you thought of Miami? Not a long distance to Fort Lauderdale port.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, optmax said:

In case anyone from Princess monitors this forum…what is the reasoning for imposing European Union Healthy Gateways Guidelines for cruises ex UK, not a member of the EU, to Norway, also not a member of the EU and a country without any COVID related entry requirements?

If it has been imposed by corporate insurance requirements then why not be upfront and say so?  

Changing COVID boarding requirements at the last minute for upcoming cruises is even more galling when Princess hide behind EU regulations/guidelines that don’t necessarily apply in the UK an other non EU countries.

I asked a similar question elsewhere and was told that it was done in case the ship needed to divert to an EU country for technical or medical reasons. 

I wish, like P&O, they would move to non-medically observed tests at least!

22 minutes ago, Mistuk72 said:

I asked a similar question elsewhere and was told that it was done in case the ship needed to divert to an EU country for technical or medical reasons. 

I wish, like P&O, they would move to non-medically observed tests at least!

With all due respect, non- proctored tests are useless. You become your own judge and jury, an opportunity for fraud.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, nini said:

With all due respect, non- proctored tests are useless. You become your own judge and jury, an opportunity for fraud.

I would prefer the more accurate PCR test

1 hour ago, memoak said:

I would prefer the more accurate PCR test

I agree, however, I would be concerned about the time element when one has to test only one day before flying home to USA. (current parameters)

On 6/1/2022 at 7:46 AM, lindylooellalouise said:

How do you book a covid pre embarkation  test at Southampton port with Princess cruises, can’t find any booking info on the website and would like to confirm a booking before I drive 6 hours to the port.

We are sailing out of Southampton port in August.  I called Princess about a month ago.  You do not have to schedule an appointment for the testing, but you will be charged to your ship board account. Feel free to call and check if proceedures have changed since May.

• Like 1

Yup, everything was free on the Discovery 5 day cruise April 29. You could even request detergent, dryer sheets on room service. My cabin was across the laundromat. We did just about all our laundry the evening before departure.

I had to deal with this issue recently, as we just returned from Seattle after sailing on Discovery Princess on the 29th to Alaska. You can submit your vax card beforehand via the "ocean ready" app months before cursing, and we did, but the actual test you need 48 hours prior to sailing if you do not want to be fee gouged at the pier for 80 bucks (though it appears someone has made a nice little side hustle business out of this process). 

There were dozens of places near our home that would give us a test on the spot for nothing. And since all Princess requires is an antigen test, you should be able to knock that one out before cruising no problem and with limited hassle. 

Though I will say this much, on the day we arrived in Seattle the additional time required to check the added documentation turned the check in process into an absolute nightmare. There was no green line, blue line, or any line. Just a mass of people corralled into various winding and roped off lines. You try sitting in a line in a chaotic and noisy environment for well over an hour with a 3 year old with you. It sucked. Bad. I was ready for about 10 cocktails before I even got on the ship. Though while we are on the subject of our daughter, kids under 5 are omitted from any Covid requirements, with no exemption required. 

Staff members checking your documentation are not at all discriminating. They just want you gone and out of their face ASAP. I probably could have photoshopped a complete fabrication and marked my name as Dr Bigus Dickus and he would not have noticed or cared. Just an FYI. 

On the cruise itself, pretty much nobody other than staff members were wearing masks. 

Edited by supaflyrobby
typo

1 hour ago, supaflyrobby said:

I had to deal with this issue recently, as we just returned from Seattle after sailing on Discovery Princess on the 29th to Alaska. You can submit your vax card beforehand via the "ocean ready" app months before cursing, and we did, but the actual test you need 48 hours prior to sailing if you do not want to be fee gouged at the pier for 80 bucks (though it appears someone has made a nice little side hustle business out of this process). 

There were dozens of places near our home that would give us a test on the spot for nothing. And since all Princess requires is an antigen test, you should be able to knock that one out before cruising no problem and with limited hassle. 

Though I will say this much, on the day we arrived in Seattle the additional time required to check the added documentation turned the check in process into an absolute nightmare. There was no green line, blue line, or any line. Just a mass of people corralled into various winding and roped off lines. You try sitting in a line in a chaotic and noisy environment for well over an hour with a 3 year old with you. It sucked. Bad. I was ready for about 10 cocktails before I even got on the ship. Though while we are on the subject of our daughter, kids under 5 are omitted from any Covid requirements, with no exemption required. 

Staff members checking your documentation are not at all discriminating. They just want you gone and out of their face ASAP. I probably could have photoshopped a complete fabrication and marked my name as Dr Bigus Dickus and he would not have noticed or cared. Just an FYI. 

On the cruise itself, pretty much nobody other than staff members were wearing masks. 

I am so sorry It was so chaotic for you and everyone else. Our check in at Southampton on the Emerald on May 9th was very quick and detailed. The clerk first asked for was our covid test and vaccination records. That was the most important thing on her mind.

6 hours ago, nini said:

I am so sorry It was so chaotic for you and everyone else. Our check in at Southampton on the Emerald on May 9th was very quick and detailed. The clerk first asked for was our covid test and vaccination records. That was the most important thing on her mind.

Honestly, In the grand scope it was not that big of a deal. As annoying as boarding was it’s amazing how quickly the memory of the encounter fades from your perspective once you actually get on board and get into full vacation mode. 

Discovery Princess is a gorgeous ship, and we were blessed with some pretty amazing weather during our ports too. 

9 hours ago, supaflyrobby said:

Guess every terminal is different. We have been on 5 cruises since November and the boarding process only took 10 minutes. We have learned that arriving after 2pm helps.

Thanks for the valuable advice. Alaska was actually our first ever cruise. I joined this site to post my review of Discovery Princess (which is still pending) but we had such a blast I have already booked our next cruise for 2023. Booked it literally the day after we got back 

Edited by supaflyrobby
Format

On 6/3/2022 at 10:12 AM, Earthworm Jim said:

Not clear at all, because a Rapid NAAT technically is neither a PCR nor an antigen test. Assumption seems to be it is treated as a PCR though.

The NAAT test is defined as a "Molecular Test" similar to the PCR. 

• Like 1

Here is a copy of the test I used for boarding of Discovery Princess. Well, actually it was a QR code that was scan-able which directed to this page. 

Though as mentioned the guy looked at it for all of 2 seconds at most, as I then handed him my wife's phone with the same thing. 

8B9BC686-0708-40B7-B6F5-49C8C9EA0531_1_201_a.jpeg

On 6/4/2022 at 1:03 PM, nini said:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/international-travel-testing-guide/   (dated May 21, 2022)

BTW- the following countries NO LONGER require Covid testing to enter:

Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Chile, Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Croatia, Germany, Italy, Cyprus, France, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK, Austria, Serbia, Kosovo, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Grenada, Jamaica, St. Lucia, US Virgin Islands, Turks & Caicos, Maritius, Seychelles, Bahrain, Jordan, United Arab Emirates, Israel, Indonesia, Malaysia, Maldives, Nepal, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia

👍

41 minutes ago, MixerDave said:

Not going to happen - it's all about control

You are probably right, but I would have thought economics for travel industry would have some pull. Other countries do not do this.

3 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

The NAAT test is defined as a "Molecular Test" similar to the PCR. 

We've used the Walgreens ID NOW test for all but 3 of our cruises since Nov.  Much easier to get that test here in Alabama.  We've been able to use MedExpress in Florida as they are so easy to find.

16 hours ago, supaflyrobby said:

First off, appreciate the Monty Python reference!

You said test within 48 hours, if I have read the Princess site correctly, if you are vaxed and boosted, you can do it within 72 hours.  

7 minutes ago, stuprince said:

You said test within 48 hours, if I have read the Princess site correctly, if you are vaxed and boosted, you can do it within 72 hours.  

I am pretty sure it was 48, but I am not certain. In any event the wife and I went to one of those drive thru places on Saturday, the day before. They gave us useable results in about 10 min or so, they billed my insurance company and that was the end of the story until we got to the cruise terminal where pandemonium ensued. 

My alter ego, Bigus Dickus, did not make an appearance until several hours later, after properly lubricated with scotch. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, stuprince said:

It is days, not hours. Two days or three days. Princess gives the example; if you board the ship on a Monday, then you can test on Saturday for two days or on Friday for three days.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nini said:

It is days, not hours. Two days or three days. Princess gives the example; if you board the ship on a Monday, then you can test on Saturday for two days or on Friday for three days.

You are correct, so for a Saturday departure, a vaxed and boosted person could do the test Wednesday, for someone just fully vaxed, it would be Thursday (or Wednesday if it is a PCR test)

20 hours ago, supaflyrobby said:

over an hour with a 3 year old

Supaflyrobbie I hope you are still following and can enlighten me. I have been trying to get a first hand account from someone travelling with a child under 5 but, have yet to get a response. How long was the wait at the terminal for your child's on site test? Was it truly 'complimentary'? My daughter is afraid we will waiting hours before my granddaughters are tested and allowed to board. Looking forward to your review. Hope it includes excursions and maybe how they verified your child had been on a Princess excursions in port. We have all Princess excursions booked but want to know if we could maybe shop a bit in port before reboarding. If you can answer any of this, thanks for your time.