Cruising on Norwegian Bliss and Testing Positive-- One Family's Experience

szpal

12 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Not trying to hijack but looking for information....

What happens if the person who tests positive drove to the port?

I think they said those with their own transport split off into a different group.  This group was the group without transport.  My guess is you could drive yourself home to quarantine.  

2 hours ago, szpal said:

This is long.  I debated about posting it. If you’re looking for recent information about sailing Norwegian and what it’s like to test positive on board, I’m posting this for you and hope it will help. If you’re someone who likes to troll or be snarky about people “cruising during a pandemic,” consider that this isn’t for you– or about you–and kindly scroll on. This is our family's experience. 

• Late October 2021: My husband and I book 3 Cabins on Norwegian Bliss for 12/26 New Year’s sailing. A Christmas gift to our family, including our adult children (young 20’s). We book through a travel agent and  purchase independent CFAR travel  insurance (25% penalty). We are all vaccinated and most will be eligible for boosters before sailing.

• December 2021: Omicron takes over the news. We understand this trip will involve additional risks and stresses. Peace of Mind policy is not available. What will happen if one of us tests positive at the pier or onboard?  Norwegian’s policy seems vague. Not many personal narratives posted. We consider triggering our CFAR insurance (which will refund all but $2500). We confer with our family. We are healthy, vaccinated, and we miss each other. We love to cruise. We will do this.

• 12/25/21: We individually test for Covid (home tests and at the airport) before flying. No one wants a surprise at the pier. All negative.

• 12/26/21: We’re tested and aboard! Let the fun begin! We discover that some (a lot) of the entertainment is canceled due to Covid. Masks are now required. No problem! We’re flexible and happy to be here! 

The ship is gorgeous. Food is the best we’ve ever had on a cruise. We enjoy our two specialty dinners but are impressed with the main dining rooms           and buffet as well. We take full advantage of the drink package! Never a long wait for drinks, never a need for dining reservations (which I hate to                 make in advance), no problem finding deck chairs.  The staff is wonderful–warm, fabulous, happy to have us on board. Our cares and all the stress             leading up to this trip melt away.  My husband and I decide this is the best cruise we’ve ever taken. We are sold on Norwegian. 

• 1/1/21: Last day of cruise. We learn that one of our family members (age 21) is sick. The symptoms: fever, chills, cough…not good. Medical Center is called. Someone arrives within 90 minutes to test Passenger 1 in the cabin. Both passengers are told to stay in the cabin and await PCR results. Ninety minutes later a telephone call: Passenger 1 is positive. Medical Center says they’ll be up to test Passenger 2. Passenger 2 is negative, but instructed to remain in isolation for the duration of cruise. Passengers have many questions about quarantine process but the caller is hard to understand and disconnects before they can ask. They begin to worry. These are my kids.

I go to Guest Services  for more information. Specifically, I want to know where my family members will be taken when the ship docks. I speak to a              Guest Services agent who is cold and dismissive. My first negative experience ever with a Norwegian employee. He says more information will be              coming from the Medical Center and that there are “many” guests affected.

Another call comes from the Medical Center. The caller this time informs guests they will be taken on arrival to a “quarantine facility.” No other                      information. Guests begin to panic. What “facility”??

I return to Guest Services and politely request to speak with a manager. I am calm. The manager is ALSO cold and dismissive. This is my second                 negative experience with Guest Services and is opposite of every other experience we’ve had on board. I sense an attitude of “You got yourself into             this–not our problem!” He does assure me that the cabin mates will be allowed to remain together (one is negative but is concerned about the other           and they will stay together). He tells me the guests will be receiving a letter.

That evening guests receive a letter telling them they will be taken to a certain hotel upon arrival. I’m reassured as I know the hotel from having                   stayed there in the past. It’s a nice hotel. The letter tells them a port agent will be assisting them as they disembark and will arrange to get them to             the hotel. They are given phone numbers to call if there are any problems. They’re told a company called Med Com will be contacting them daily to             assess their illness and assist with medical issues. The letter says they will be responsible for paying all costs upfront and will need to submit all                 expenses and claims to their insurance carrier. If they don’t have insurance or insurance denies the claim, Norwegian will reimburse for the length of         stay (Med Com will determine the need), reasonable transportation costs, up to $100 a day for meals, flight change fees up to $300 (if applicable).

DISEMBARKATION DAY

• 9:00 am: Guests have eaten room service breakfast. They get a phone call letting them know to prepare to disembark at 9:30-9:45. They will disembark after all other passengers have left the ship.

• 10:15: A crew member in full Hazmat gear collects guests from stateroom. Crew member does not communicate with guests but motions with hand gestures where they are to proceed. 

• 10:15: Guests are stopped in the hall and met by a second Hazmat-attired crew member who carries an electric aerosol-spraying device. He sprays luggage with “sanitizing” (?) spray. No communication is given. This crew member follows guests down the hallway, spraying behind them as they walk. During this process, an unmasked crew member casually passes guests in the hallway.

• 10:20: Another group of guests arrives at the elevator, also having their path sprayed down as they walk. The spray machine is electric and guests have to keep stopping so the machine can be re-plugged in and spraying can continue.

• 10:25: Guests get on elevator in a group and are taken to floor 5. Sanitizing is discontinued. Crew member gestures for guests to continue on to the gangway. All Hazmat protocol is discontinued at the gangway. Guests give room number and names to crew. Guests proceed down gangway–this is the last time they see anyone from Norwegian Cruise Lines.

• 10:30: Porters are at the bottom of gangway, pointing in the direction to proceed. It is an alternative gangway which takes guests outside the terminal. Porters point toward a chain link gate where a port official is waiting. There are approximately 4 other groups of Covid passengers waiting and a port agent is checking passports. Port Agent points toward the gate and another agent at the gate asks people if they have a car or if they need Norwegian transport. The group with cars proceeds on their own to their vehicles. The group needing transport (approx. 40 people) walk out of the gate and are directed to stand in an area at the end of the port. Port agent announces that someone will come and direct guests onto buses. Quarantined passengers are not kept isolated from arriving/departing passengers.

• 10:45: There is no longer a port agent with the group. There is no one left behind the chain link gate. Guests are on their own.

• 11:45: Some passengers elect to depart – about 30 remain. Porters in the area are asked for help but say they have no information. Guests begin trying to call the phone numbers provided by Norwegian. One number rings through and goes to a voice mail box that is full. One number is for medical questions only. One number has a voicemail message that says they are only open Monday-Friday, 9-5. This is Sunday. Many guests are calling Norwegian Customer Service but no one is able to provide them information or help. Some guests are actively sick and there is no place to sit down, go to the bathroom, or get water. Guests begin getting angry and frantic. There are 3 large Sprinter-type vans with engines running, located directly in front of the group. A few guests approach the vans and ask if they are here to take a group to *the hotel I’m not going to name.* The vans say they are and allow the passengers to board (these vans are actually here to pick up Norwegian crew but, in the confusion, they unexpectedly end up with 30 Covid-positive passengers onboard).

• 12:10: Three vans proceed to hotel.

• 12:25: Arrival at hotel. One passenger goes in to find out about Covid-quarantine rooms. Hotel desk clerk  tells her to leave the hotel immediately. The hotel says they have not received any information about Covid guests and there are no rooms available. The vans remain at the hotel while guests frantically try to get a hold of Norwegian for help. One family is very angry and refuses to get back on the bus. Hotel official comes out and tells the van driver that the police will be called if everyone doesn’t remain on the buses. Passengers are getting hungry, angry, desperate, panicked, and some are SICK. Most are frantically still trying to call Norwegian for help. Norwegian Customer Service Supervisor says they are unable to contact the person at the port responsible (person is not answering the phone). “Sorry, we’ll call you back if we get more information.”

• 1:20: Passengers are still on the vans. Van drivers are communicating by phone with their boss. (Whoever this van company is deserves a medal. The drivers are kind, empathetic and patient. They understand that they have now–unexpectedly– been fully exposed to Covid-19, and that their passengers literally have no destination to go to). The boss tells them to take passengers to a hotel 40-50 minutes away from where they are. This is not a Norwegian decision–it’s unclear how this hotel has been selected, but possibly they have agreed to take the passengers.

• 1:21: A representative from the hotel *which shall not be named* comes out and says they can organize rooms but it will take a couple of hours. During that time guests will have to remain in vans and are explicitly forbidden to use bathrooms or get food or water. Some guests are desperate for a bathroom; most guests are hungry and thirsty.

• 1:25: Some guests elect to exit the vans to make their own way. It’s been 3.5 hours since they left their cabins and it is clear that they have been dumped and abandoned by Norwegian. The prospect of driving 40 minutes to a hotel that has not been approved by Norwegian and may/may not welcome them does not appear good. The prospect of waiting 2 hours to enter a hotel that clearly wasn’t expecting them and has threatened to call the police on them is also not good. 

My kids are within walking distance of my hotel; they head my way and I arrange their room, pick up their keys, and am able to ensure they have no            contact with staff or other guests in the process.

• Jan 3: No word from Norwegian or Med Com. My travel agent and agency are working all day, sending emails and making phone calls. No one can explain what has just happened. The phone numbers the guests have been given STILL don’t work. Finally at 7:00 pm, due solely to the emails our agency has sent, a Norwegian employee calls. He apologizes profusely, assures that all hotel/food/transport expenses for both cabin mates will be covered, and lets the Covid positive guest know that Med Com will be contacting her.

• Jan 6: No further contact from Norwegian or Med Com has happened. It’s clear Med Com will not be following up. Covid-positive guest is feeling well and has continued to observe CDC protocols.

This kind of reminds me of the way cruise lines tended to operate pre-covid.

Once a problem is off the ship it is no longer their problem

It certainly shows why they have chosen to cancel a number of cruises the cases have clearly overwhelmed their contingency plans.

Well you can always send a copy of the write up to

Christine DaSilva

PublicRelations@ncl.com

And ask her if she has any preference of which media outlets she would like you to make sure  gets a copy, or just maybe she might be able to influence somebody in operations to get in touch with you to resolve any outstanding issues.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Thank you so much for the information and thank you for writing it in such a clear concise manner of a timeline. I'm so sorry they had that experience. This has confirmed my plans to drive the 1500 miles instead of flying in, just in case. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nocl said:

This kind of reminds me of the way cruise lines tended to operate pre-covid.

Once a problem is off the ship it is no longer their problem

It certainly shows why they have chosen to cancel a number of cruises the cases have clearly overwhelmed their contingency plans.

Well you can always send a copy of the write up to

Christine DaSilva

PublicRelations@ncl.com

And ask her if she has any preference of which media outlets she would like you to make sure  gets a copy, or just maybe she might be able to influence somebody in operations to get in touch with you to resolve any outstanding issues.

I appreciate the email address. Thank you! And I couldn't agree more about media outlets being interested in this story. 
One bright spot (along with the van drivers) is that I learned the value of a great travel agent. She and her entire agency have had our back from the beginning (I called her Sunday while the kids were still in the van). They've forwarded our story up the ladder and are still working on it for us.
As soon as I get home, I will begin the claims process and update on how the experience goes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

With NCL once you test positive for covid you have a scarlet letter on your forehead.  They will give you lip service up to the point you are off their ship.  At that point, you are entirely on your own.  Expect no help from NCL with anything and you won't be disappointed.

Not making excuses because this is beyond ridiculous to lie and treat 'valued' customers in this way, but NCL simply cannot continue to bear these costs.  If things don't change very soon, I fully expect NCL to declare bankruptcy.

4 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Considering how contagious this variant is and how many positive people the cruise workers are dealing with it seems quite prudent to me that they should wear HazMat suits.

As a nurse testing and working with Covid patient's, we don't wear Hazmat suits. We wear a gown, gloves, mask and goggles. Hazmat suits are overkill.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Not trying to hijack but looking for information....

What happens if the person who tests positive drove to the port?

For passengers with cars (or who said they had cars) no problem. Off they went.

• Like 2

let me join in the chorus of those saying thanks for a well written, balanced and objective accounting of what transpired.

two observations...

• NCL dropped the ball at every customer touch point here and if this is the norm, and not an aberration, they are woefully unprepared to handle both the medical and customer service aspects of onboard covid cases.

• from time to time , we see posts in this forum wondering why NCL doesn't have a presence here. this sure would be a great time for NCL to come forward and respond to the concerns expressed in this thread and the events detailed here.

with regard to the financial solvency of NCL or other cruise companies... i also see a lot of theories in this forum about impending doom and shorting the stock and the inevitability of bankruptcy. i don't own their stock and i have no crystal ball, but i can only tell you that the longterm outlook on all cruise stocks remains strong and that stocks have generally risen since the initial downward downward omicron trend.

• Like 5

I guess if going on NCL you need to record all conversations, document every piece of information, and prepare for lawsuits once abandoned. You need to have your cruise contract, what NCL agreed to, phone recordings, and tons of documentation. They are basically tossing you overboard...no pun intended.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bigrednole said:

I guess if going on NCL you need to record all conversations, document every piece of information, and prepare for lawsuits once abandoned. You need to have your cruise contract, what NCL agreed to, phone recordings, and tons of documentation. They are basically tossing you overboard...no pun intended.

Or just keep your recipts and get reimbursed like instructed. Seems easier. 

3 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Do you really think NCL will reimburse them after stating they were covering it already then abandoning them? No, this is them just washing their hands of the situation and hoping it will go away. 

4 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

Do you really think NCL will reimburse them after stating they were covering it already then abandoning them? No, this is them just washing their hands of the situation and hoping it will go away. 

I belive they will. Other passangers have already been reinbursed and have posted about what different lines agreed to as far as food/hotel/travel. It seems to be pretty standard across the lines. If the OP isn't reinbursed as promised then holy hell ought be raised and one should strongly consider never sailing with that line agian. 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

But they were not instructed that they were on their own.  They were taken off of the ship, taken to a place.  Told that transportation would be provided. It was not, they basically got the vans by mistake, told that they would be taken to a hotel where arrangements were made for quarantine. Arragnements that not only were not made, but a hotel that refused them to even set foot on the property.

It actually would have better if NCL had simply told them your on your own, we have no arrangements, make your own and just send us the bill.  However, NCL did not do that.

If a company cannot do better than this they should be crucified by the media.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 10

18 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I didn't mean to make light of your unfortunate situation, it was more directed at the "call the media" post. I'm sure they were overwhelmed and probably didn't anticipate such a demand for ancillary services. The next best thing is to offer reinbursment for folks to forge foward themselves. I'm very sorry this happened to you, no passangers deserves this and they definitly dropped the ball and fell short of expectations but reinbursment is the logical next step when that happens. For me it's better actually because it puts the ball in my court and I'll probably be eating a little better, staying in nicer digs and getting the nicest rental I can. The more irritated I am, the higher that reinbursment will be. 😁

The post, if you actually read it, was not call the media.  It was to contact the cruise lines head of media, and ask her who she would want the story sent to.  One would expect that such a person would prefer to get the issue resolved and by sending it to her you are giving them the chance to do exactly that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nocl said:

In this case there were very clear failures of NCL to execute not only items they were responsible for, but items that they said they would handle.  Not a case of someone complaining that they got covid. NCL told them that they would provide transport.  NCL told them that they had made hotel arrangements.  Instead they were left standing by a fence, with no help, no one responding to phone calls trying to ask what to do.  To be honest I would have walked over to the check in area with my mask on and walk up to one of the staff (6 feet away)  and say in a loud voice that I had just gotten off of the ship with others that were infected and were left by the fence and cannot contact anyone from NCL about where to go next.

I can guarantee you if I was in the OP chair I would go down the list of everyone involved in the company.  The entity with which the cruise line signed the port agreements, and any other potential regulatory authority.  

The point is if you cannot get a response from the other areas of NCL then maybe the PR section might get internal action  that talking to NCL does not seem to be getting.  After all its in their interest to resolve the situation directly.  Better for them to respond to the OP and resolve any remaining issues, If they don't then I would have absolutely no issues with pointing out in public how they left  them hanging out to dry.

After all in this case it is not some imagined concern.  It was a set of real issues where NCL failed to perform.  Not only that but where they are not even effectively responding.

If it takes contacting the head of media relations and give them a chance to respond or get the appropriate departments to respond then why not.  According to the OP nothing else seems effective.

They fell short of expectations, of that there is no doubt but the next best thing is allowing someone to forge ahead on their own and cover those expenses, even if they cost more than they could provision with their corporate might. There really isn’t much more you can do at that point. Promptly reimbursing folks and apologizing profusely for the shortcoming is about it. No need to pull  Karen moves and blow things out of proportions. Omicron snuck up on everyone, cruise lines included. Things were going well before that. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nocl said:

But they were not instructed that they were on their own.  They were taken off of the ship, taken to a place.  Told that transportation would be provided. It was not, they basically got the vans by mistake, told that they would be taken to a hotel where arrangements were made for quarantine. Arragnements that not only were not made, but a hotel that refused them to even set foot on the property.

It actually would have better if NCL had simply told them your on your own, we have no arrangements, make your own and just send us the bill.  However, NCL did not do that.

If a company cannot do better than this they should be crucified by the media.

"The letter says they will be responsible for paying all costs upfront and will need to submit all                 expenses and claims to their insurance carrier. If they don’t have insurance or insurance denies the claim, Norwegian will reimburse for the length of         stay (Med Com will determine the need), reasonable transportation costs, up to $100 a day for meals, flight change fees up to $300 (if applicable)."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I didn't mean to make light of your unfortunate situation, it was more directed at the "call the media" post. I'm sure they were overwhelmed and probably didn't anticipate such a demand for ancillary services. The next best thing is to offer reinbursment for folks to forge foward themselves. I'm very sorry this happened to you, no passangers deserves this and they definitly dropped the ball and fell short of expectations but reinbursment is the logical next step when that happens. For me it's better actually because it puts the ball in my court and I'll probably be eating a little better, staying in nicer digs and getting the nicest rental I can. The more irritated I am, the higher that reinbursment will be. 😁

@cruisingguy007I appreciate that. Thank you.
My struggle all week is wondering if Norwegian "dropped the ball" or if this is typical.  Clearly they were overwhelmed on our cruise. What about other cruises this week or next? 
I believe people need solid information to make good decisions--whether they find it here or in the media. I see a lot of articles right now but not a lot of shared experiences.
I agree that it's better to be in control of the experience. And lodging! I like your thinking on that. 😀

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, szpal said:

@cruisingguy007I appreciate that. Thank you.
My struggle all week is wondering if Norwegian "dropped the ball" or if this is typical.  Clearly they were overwhelmed on our cruise. What about other cruises this week or next? 
I believe people need solid information to make good decisions--whether they find it here or in the media. I see a lot of articles right now but not a lot of shared experiences.
I agree that it's better to be in control of the experience. And lodging! I like your thinking on that. 😀

All the lines had issues, it's not typical for sure. This omicron came in smash mouth style and said "delta, hold my beer" and boom! Sucks for those like you who bore the brunt of it. I hope you and your family are well, you get reimbursed without quibble and that your next cruise is fantastic and goes off without a hitch. Godbless.  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1