Cruising on Norwegian Bliss and Testing Positive-- One Family's Experience

szpal

I hope the OP communicates with NCL as she has an eloquent manner and style so NCL can learn where to improve and future cruisers  will receive better treatment.  This is in everyone’s best interest. 

Edited by milolii
  • Like 3

Does anyone know the name of the GM and / or the Guest Services Manager currently assigned to the Bliss?  The OP mentioned receiving the cold shoulder from upper management, and I'd like to have some idea of which ships to try to avoid.  The OP's experience was a real tragedy, but I know from experience that it is not the only time something like this happened on the Bliss at the Port of Los Angeles.  My wife and I contracted an intestinal virus, probably Norovirus, two days before arriving at LA on the Bliss in April 2019.  We were quarantined in our stateroom on the last day of the cruise, then were required to disembark with a dozen or so other quarantined passengers at 7:00 AM, before any other guests departed.  We had to wait at the curb for three hours while waiting for our prearranged ride.  We were not allowed to reenter the cruise terminal, so we did not have access to water or restroom facilities.  The ordeal which the OP's family faced was far, far worse than ours.  I'm simply saying that this lack of support for passengers in need of assistance has been NCL's pattern for many years.

• Like 6

I suspect that NCL will soon start marketing “premium Covid packages” and “elite Covid Packages” and maybe even “platinum Covid packages”. A huge revenue opportunity for them which is what they are all about.  They would be more aptly named “inhumane Covid package” and “barely humane Covid package” and “fully humane Covid package”. So glad I moved on from NCL many years ago.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, gafnewyork said:

Facts -

I just got off a 10 day cruise this past Thursday. 

I got infected while onboard and spent 2 days in quarantine.  I’m a porthole stateroom I’m Deck 2.  

Through a contact tracing call I HAD to have with the head of security, and his ability to see everyone I interacted with via video and face recognition, everyone I was in contact with for more than 15 minutes within the prior 72 hours of me testing positive, was tested.  
He even called me back when he saw video of me and a few other passengers that I forgot to mention.  It DOES NOT take them hours to do this given the technology they have onboard.  

I’m still in contact with those people who were identified and had to get tested.  
So I have first hand knowledge.  

this is like a movie! amazing they can do this. its like someone needs to invent an app that every time you are near a new person it goes off after 12 minutes so you can beat the clock. any techies out there? you pretty much cant do any activities like trivia nor napkin folding because you will be seated so long. nor eat in public 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Does anyone know the name of the GM and / or the Guest Services Manager currently assigned to the Bliss?  The OP mentioned receiving the cold shoulder from upper management, and I'd like to have some idea of which ships to try to avoid.  The OP's experience was a real tragedy, but I know from experience that it is not the only time something like this happened on the Bliss at the Port of Los Angeles.  My wife and I contracted an intestinal virus, probably Norovirus, two days before arriving at LA on the Bliss in April 2019.  We were quarantined in our stateroom on the last day of the cruise, then were required to disembark with a dozen or so other quarantined passengers at 7:00 AM, before any other guests departed.  We had to wait at the curb for three hours while waiting for our prearranged ride.  We were not allowed to reenter the cruise terminal, so we did not have access to water or restroom facilities.  The ordeal which the OP's family faced was far, far worse than ours.  I'm simply saying that this lack of support for passengers in need of assistance has been NCL's pattern for many years.

Oh my. I think having an intestinal bug and being abandoned for 3 hours without bathrooms, food, or water is even worse. I'm sorry you experienced that. We're all learning a bit I think.

16 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Does anyone know the name of the GM and / or the Guest Services Manager currently assigned to the Bliss?  The OP mentioned receiving the cold shoulder from upper management, and I'd like to have some idea of which ships to try to avoid.

Current GM: Djamel Benatmane, Guest Service Manager: Manuel Japson

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2022 at 1:29 PM, wampuscat7 said:

Doesn't the CSO from the CDC require cruise lines to have a housing agreement in place in home ports? 

So sorry your family is experiencing this, OP!

That was exactly what I was thinking.  Maybe the CDC needs to made aware of all the shortcomings here.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 10:56 AM, BEACHBARB said:

This may have already been asked - but have you written to NCL Guest Relations?  I realize you may feel you would never cruise them again so why contact them.  Just a suggestion.  

I agree.   I find much of this post very unbelievable.   Such an ordeal would most likely show up in the press.   And no mention of Mom’s contact with NCL at all. The first statement is the I’ll passenger is 21 years old.  Legal person to handle their own affairs.   Mom / child or not - NCL was correct not to give information to another passenger.  Only those effected should be directly involved.   Sorry mom.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/8/2022 at 5:35 AM, mjkacmom said:

And regardless of what city it was, hotel bathrooms aren’t open to the public, one needs a room key to access them.

Sorry, not true, at least Pre-COVID there are lobby bathrooms open to the public in virtually every Los Angeles hotel that I've ever been inside. In very bad neighborhoods you might need to ask for a key because of the homeless issue.  The Doubletree since they have (had?) a nice outdoor bar/patio  (assuming this was the hotel in question).  I have not been inside the other big San Pedro hotel. 

There were some public restrooms as well near the DT for use by the Marina people. Can't say for sure if they are now locked, as many have been recently by the authorities. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, metuken said:

I agree.   I find much of this post very unbelievable.   Such an ordeal would most likely show up in the press.   And no mention of Mom’s contact with NCL at all. The first statement is the I’ll passenger is 21 years old.  Legal person to handle their own affairs.   Mom / child or not - NCL was correct not to give information to another passenger.  Only those effected should be directly involved.   Sorry mom.  

Metuken, do you have children? 😁
If a family member of any age (let's say you're traveling with your mom, for instance) was sick and quarantined to their cabin, might you go to Guest Services to try and obtain information for them?
The attitude from Guest Services had nothing to do with privacy concerns. But thanks for your thoughts.

Edited by szpal
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mlgb said:

And carryon luggage only.

Yes!! If you don't plan to test yourself immediately before leaving for the pier, I highly recommend you carry your luggage onboard with you. This is easier if you request a later testing time. We had a testing time of 11:30 and by the time the process was done, we were able to go straight to the cabin.

The stories of people being quarantined without luggage....worse than our story.

You won't find great Customer Service at the Bliss CS desk, even on non COVID matters that they normally deal with.  I think the ship is just too big and there are a lot of poorly trained staff (same goes for the servers in the Main Dining Rooms, actually). The room stewards, bar staff, and specialty dining rooms are where your better odds are found.  (This was my experience on a 3 week repo cruise via the Panama Canal and Caribbean in  Nov 2019, also a ship that was low capacity but probably near full staffing). 

Edited by mlgb
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, szpal said:

Yes!! If you don't plan to test yourself immediately before leaving for the pier, I highly recommend you carry your luggage onboard with you. This is easier if you request a later testing time. We had a testing time of 11:30 and by the time the process was done, we were able to go straight to the cabin.

The stories of people being quarantined without luggage....worse than our story.

I'm already booked into an early time. Wonder if I can change it. 

5 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Who called the medical centre just out of interest.

The cabinmate of the sick individual called the Medical Center.

The #1 reason we chose to involve Norwegian vs just having the sick passenger and cabinmate isolate:

Covid appeared likely--given her symptoms which included fever. A positive test and (possibly?) doctor's order are required for the insurance to trigger. Wasn't about to go bouncing around LA looking for that on arrival.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, szpal said:

Metuken, do you have children? 😁
If a family member of any age (let's say you're traveling with your mom, for instance) was sick and quarantined to their cabin, might you go to Guest Services to try and obtain information for them?
The attitude from Guest Services had nothing to do with privacy concerns. But thanks for your thoughts.

As a mom, if I couldn’t reach my daughter, I would absolutely have tried to obtain information on her and my daughter is in her early 40’s! Sorry but when she’s sick, I go into full mama bear mode.

• Like 11

Lots of folks have seemingly said in a rather cavalier manner that they'd just drive home and would only cruise if they could drive to the port. We generally drive to ports when we can. However if sick with Covid, it would be a rather challenging chore to drive a long distance! Yes I'd rather do that than quarantine and then board an airplane, but still neither is an optimal solution. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Lots of folks have seemingly said in a rather cavalier manner that they'd just drive home and would only cruise if they could drive to the port. We generally drive to ports when we can. However if sick with Covid, it would be a rather challenging chore to drive a long distance! Yes I'd rather do that than quarantine and then board an airplane, but still neither is an optimal solution. 

Good point. I've driven for about 6ish hours before when pretty sick but, looking back, unsure if I would do that again. 

12 hours ago, Old & Retired said:

Current GM: Djamel Benatmane, Guest Service Manager: Manuel Japson

The OP stated that Guest Service Manager Manuel Japson was cold and dismissive.  I don't know Mr. Japson, but I do know Djamel, having sailed with him several times.  He is warm and personable, and he always has shown a genuine concern for his guests.  I can't help but think that the OP's experience would have been different if he had the opportunity to speak with GM Djamel.

Edited by The Traveling Man
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 4:57 PM, goldsmip115 said:

So glad I moved on from NCL many years ago.

have you, though?

you do realize you're posting in the NCL forum... all these years later?

what's that they say in "brokeback mountain?"

"i wish i knew how to quit you!"

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, metuken said:

I'm thinking this won't be a story for the press because much of the issues were created by the guests going to the wrong vans, rather than waiting for the staff member with further instruction as they were directed to. (Not that I would not have done the same - just that everything else after that choice was a result of that choice.) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Szpal/OP—you are probably one of the most civil, balanced and well-organized posters on all of cruisecritic. Can’t thank you enough for so calmly and openly sharing your ordeal, and responding to people’s queries.

Would love to sail with you one day. Until then, safe travels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1