Our family got Covid on the Odyssey and ended up in the Red Zone

25 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

Could you share your level of masking? Did you remove to eat in dining room? Sit unmasked with drinks in public areas? Paper surgical masks, N95s? I'm not asking these questions to place blame, rather to assess risk. 

Do you think your wife just showed symptoms first and you all were exposed at the same time? It would seem a short incubation for your wife to get it first and then give it to you if you were sick the next day or in a matter of hours. 

we masked - me and wife with KN95 - took off for hot tubs, beach, meals, and bars

she has lupus and gets sick easier

hard to say - I didn't test when she did because I had no symptoms

I tested after 24 hours in quarantine - could be I would have tested positive with her

Kids tested negative one day and then positive the next

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, DesireeC03 said:

My wife was given antibiotics

We were given cough drops, cough syrup, night time cough syrup, and benadryl - meds varied upon symptoms

Interesting, my son was feeling very crappy--feverish, achy, no appetite, etc.-- went for test and came back positive.  He was given steroids and felt like as strong as a bull the next day. 😀  

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, HappyInVan said:

We have absolutely no idea how many cases there really were on board. Nor, how many unresolved cases stepped off the ship. That's a public health issue.

covid has so many variables - it is wildly confusing how variant this is.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

We have absolutely no idea how many cases there really were on board. Nor, how many unresolved cases stepped off the ship. That's a public health issue.

Agree. Thank you for sharing your experience!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DesireeC03 said:

we masked - me and wife with KN95 - took off for hot tubs, beach, meals, and bars

she has lupus and gets sick easier

hard to say - I didn't test when she did because I had no symptoms

I tested after 24 hours in quarantine - could be I would have tested positive with her

Kids tested negative one day and then positive the next

Thank you. I hope you all continue to do well. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Actually, the CDC has clear guidelines and rules for all public conveyance under their jurisdiction...

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/air/managing-sick-travelers/ncov-airlines.html

Applies to airports as well airplanes. Airlines enforce the mask mandate. Pax have been deplaned. I have not heard of any cruise pax being debarked for violating the mask mandate. Have you?

I think you missed my point.

• Like 8

Referencing the OP, thank you for posting this information.  We are scheduled to sail on Odyssey B2B on January 23rd.  Reading how your situation was handled, has actually reassured me and my husband.  At this point, I don't know if I would actually get better care at home, and I live within 20 miles of two major medical systems.  We are both vaccinated and boosted, and don't mind wearing masks.  The only other question that I can think of, is are you allowed on your balcony, if you're quarantined in your cabin?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, meg1021 said:

Referencing the OP, thank you for posting this information.  We are scheduled to sail on Odyssey B2B on January 23rd.  Reading how your situation was handled, has actually reassured me and my husband.  At this point, I don't know if I would actually get better care at home, and I live within 20 miles of two major medical systems.  We are both vaccinated and boosted, and don't mind wearing masks.  The only other question that I can think of, is are you allowed on your balcony, if you're quarantined in your cabin?

So glad my experience has been helpful.  I read the entire day and a half of quarantining out on the balcony.  Once you are in the red zone - no balcony.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, bajathree said:

Every ship for the near future will have positive crew and passenger cases. Celebrity Apex was just denied access into Nassau this morning due to case count.

You are correct.  And now having heard this story of how well this group was taken care of it feels reassuring that you are in good hands.

• Like 3

I'm still unclear on the allowed on the balcony issue.   

From reading between the lines... it sounds like the balcony door was left OPEN, which triggered the phone call from guest services.  If I am ON the balcony, I close the door behind me...and I would never hear a phone call from guest services telling me to shut the door/don't use the balcony. 

But...maybe I'm just not understanding? Certainly, someone could have a paper rule list stating...not allowed to open the balcony door, were that truly the case?  I think I have to call this one missing info. Especially since I read of another case where quarantined pax were communicating on their balconies.  Whether or not you get a balcony quarantine...another story.  Luck of the ship/draw.

2 hours ago, BND said:

CDC doesn't care if you fly, just whether or not you cruise. 🙂

Exactly!  This is a health crisis everywhere, not just on a cruise.  However, we are not seeing reports of how many on planes, sporting events or Times Square on NYE testing positive.   

• Like 8

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience--it truly is so helpful to others! Please ignore this question if you'd like, but do you mind sharing if you and your family  were boostered? The masking questions and booster questions are the two I always look for and would be helpful for future planning, but understand if you'd rather not share. Thank you again and hope you all feel well soon!

• Like 1

Just now, brookmill18 said:

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience--it truly is so helpful to others! Please ignore this question if you'd like, but do you mind sharing if you and your family  were boostered? The masking questions and booster questions are the two I always look for and would be helpful for future planning, but understand if you'd rather not share. Thank you again and hope you all feel well soon!

My wife and I boosted - the teens were not

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, DEBCAT65 said:

Exactly!  This is a health crisis everywhere, not just on a cruise.  However, we are not seeing reports of how many on planes, sporting events or Times Square on NYE testing positive.   

https://tenor.com/view/goal-post-moving-gif-12540386

Edited by At Sea At Peace

17 minutes ago, spiritkat090909 said:

I'm still unclear on the allowed on the balcony issue.   

From reading between the lines... it sounds like the balcony door was left OPEN, which triggered the phone call from guest services.  If I am ON the balcony, I close the door behind me...and I would never hear a phone call from guest services telling me to shut the door/don't use the balcony. 

But...maybe I'm just not understanding? Certainly, someone could have a paper rule list stating...not allowed to open the balcony door, were that truly the case?  I think I have to call this one missing info. Especially since I read of another case where quarantined pax were communicating on their balconies.  Whether or not you get a balcony quarantine...another story.  Luck of the ship/draw.

umm maybe you were responding to a different thread? no call from GS for me 

there weren't balconies in the red zone - oceanview only (could vary by ship I am sure)

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad they took great care of you.  I visited the medical center on my last cruise due to an allergic reaction, my fault, I forgot my epi pen at home.  I quickly went into anaphylactic shock.  They took great care of me. I was impressed to see that it was just like a hospital ER room. They gave me an epi pen shot, had a line going in my arm in no time, with an IV drip bag, meds, etc. I felt well taken care of at the medical center.  If anyone is unsure if they are equipped to handle emergencies, they are. 

And that ER visit on the ship was way cheaper than my ER visits on land with medical insurance. I received the bill and was like cool! 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Was there any reason that you couldn't have stayed in your own booked cabin? I certainly would want to....and one of the reasons why we're booking suites going forward.

Everyone that tests positive moves to quarantine section. Even STAR.

Rest of traveling party isolates in existing cabin. However, if the pisitive is a minor, an adult has to go with them to quarantine

• Like 2

Thank you for posting your experience. I've actually been trying to figure out how I'd get home if I tested positive and couldn't fly ... and a rental car was what I was toying with. You mentioned that they actually offered you a rental car? I was thinking I'd have to cover the cost of a one-way rental myself?

The other thing I'm wondering about, would be whether I could get any flight credit for the return flight I wouldn't be able to take home. Since you didn't fly in, I understand you can't help out there, but maybe someone else following this thread has some idea. I booked my flights through Air2Sea, so I'm hoping they would assist me with that as well.

@DesireeC03 Add me to the group that deeply appreciates you sharing your experience.  We have to decide whether to go on the Anthem on the 20th, and your experience and details are very helpful for making me feel more comfortable about it.  Don’t really have any questions, as you have answered them already. Hope you and your family are recovering 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1