Our family got Covid on the Odyssey and ended up in the Red Zone

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Everyone that tests positive moves to quarantine section. Even STAR.

Rest of traveling party isolates in existing cabin. However, if the pisitive is a minor, an adult has to go with them to quarantine

Well that would suck...And if both you and your spouse test positive couldn't you both stay in your booked cabin?

19 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Well that would suck...And if both you and your spouse test positive couldn't you both stay in your booked cabin?

No.   You are moved to the quarantine area no exceptions.  This allows them to better manage the outbreak.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

It would not be good to leave you where you are booked. Your trash and food and everything has to be handled separately from the rest of the passengers. You wouldnt want a positive on your corridor leaving large trash bags outside of food and whatever that you have to walk by. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

Highly doubtful, they need to keep affected folks in one area. Easier to treat, serve, and keep seperate from main guests.

That being said, I noticed the paper serving boxes outside a door on our floor of our December Oasis cruise. But no red bags

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ashland said:

Nope.

How would you feel boarding a ship and finding out your cabin had 2 positive guests quarantined in it for days on the previous sailing.

They contain all positive cases to one area.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Highly doubtful, they need to keep affected folks in one area. Easier to treat, serve, and keep seperate from main guests.

That being said, I noticed the paper serving boxes outside a door on our floor of our December Oasis cruise. But no red bags

Those could have been from close contacts who had to isolate until their test results came back.  Those people do get to isolate in their original cabin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Nope.

How would you feel boarding a ship and finding out your cabin had 2 positive guests quarantined in it for days on the previous sailing.

They contain all positive cases to one area.  

Do you still believe that it's transmissible by touching surfaces?  It's airborne and they do sanitize every cabin between cruises.  I think the reason they put all positives in the same area is for their convenience and so others don't lose their minds worrying about catching it by being nearby.  

It wouldn't bother me in the least to stay in a cabin that had been previously occupied by someone who had a positive case.  But then, we all are exposed on a daily basis.  Experts have been saying that everyone will be exposed and/or catch Omicron just by existing.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, emeraldcity said:

Thank you for posting your experience. I've actually been trying to figure out how I'd get home if I tested positive and couldn't fly ... and a rental car was what I was toying with. You mentioned that they actually offered you a rental car? I was thinking I'd have to cover the cost of a one-way rental myself?

The other thing I'm wondering about, would be whether I could get any flight credit for the return flight I wouldn't be able to take home. Since you didn't fly in, I understand you can't help out there, but maybe someone else following this thread has some idea. I booked my flights through Air2Sea, so I'm hoping they would assist me with that as well.

I am not sure, however there were so many options for us to ensure we were taking care of ourselves and were able to get home.  I will look to see if I can find the letter they gave us.  As soon as we tested positive there was someone taking pics of our passports, vax cards, and inquiring about traveling home.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

According to what I heard on Anthem that’s not an issue as they block off use of a cabin in which someone tested positive for the next sailing. I overheard the conversation at GS the first day where someone asked how come their cabin isn’t ready/available. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It wouldn't bother me in the least, but then I do research into this virus and don't feed or feed upon sensationalism like that comment does.  Covid doesn't soak into the room like cigarette smoke does.  The rooms are thoroughly cleaned, correct?

I very much enjoy and appreciate the information you give in this forum, and I thank you very much for it.  I imagine you are more tired of this whole thing than anyone else on this board.  However, these sorts of comments are a disservice to your industry, regardless of who makes them.

7 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

It wouldn't bother me in the least, but then I do research into this virus and don't feed or feed upon sensationalism like that comment does.  Covid doesn't soak into the room like cigarette smoke does.  The rooms are thoroughly cleaned, correct?

I very much enjoy and appreciate the information you give in this forum, and I thank you very much for it.  I imagine you are more tired of this whole thing than anyone else on this board.  However, these sorts of comments are a disservice to your industry, regardless of who makes them.

It wouldn't bother me either but it would a lot of people and a lot of what the cruise lines do and to be honest businesses everywhere is just about optics and nothing to do with facts.

Just where are these quarantine cabins located...lowest deck...no balcony or tub's available? Sorry may not seem like a big deal to you but I'm definitely not a shower person and  it's a very big deal to me.

On 1/7/2022 at 1:06 PM, meg1021 said:

Referencing the OP, thank you for posting this information.  We are scheduled to sail on Odyssey B2B on January 23rd.  Reading how your situation was handled, has actually reassured me and my husband.  At this point, I don't know if I would actually get better care at home, and I live within 20 miles of two major medical systems.  We are both vaccinated and boosted, and don't mind wearing masks.  The only other question that I can think of, is are you allowed on your balcony, if you're quarantined in your cabin?

I’m not the least bit reassured by the medical care described. I’d feel much better off being treated at home. 
Antibiotics probably aren’t going to be much help against a virus. 
I am not a physician, but I’m quite certainly treatment for Covid involves antivirals and monoclonal antibodies. I oneer if they even have these meds on the ship.

The other medications mentioned just treat the symptoms, not get at the disease.

Edited by CPT Trips
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

I’m not the least bit reassured by the medical care described. I’d feel much better off being treated at home. 
Antibiotics probably aren’t going to be much help against a virus. 
I am not a physician, but I’m quite certainly treatment for Covid involves antivirals and monoclonal antibodies. I oneer if they even have these meds on the ship.

The other medications mentioned just treat the symptoms, not get at the disease.

There are limited antivirals and the supply of monoclonal antibodies is very low right now. They are basically being reserved for the people at the greatest risk of serious illness. For most people, treating the symptoms and letting your body do its thing is all that's necessary.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you got Ill.

Lupus is rough, I am glad they kept your wife onboard.

I hope you all feel better soon.

I have 2 auto-immune disorders and I really hope I don’t catch Covid.

I have N95 masks, that are approved by Noish. I know that I am safer on the ship due to the vaccination and masking then my home town.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

On my December cruise on Explorer we were isolated in position but I think this is as they were out of quarantine rooms. They gave us the red biohazard bags and asked us to call and have them collected and not leave them in the hall.

Also on drop off of food etc they stopped people passing by the corridor as we brought the room service items inside the room. The food would be kept on a plastic trolley and then we would remove whilst the member of staff stood well away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 1/7/2022 at 9:13 AM, nelblu said:

Interesting, my son was feeling very crappy--feverish, achy, no appetite, etc.-- went for test and came back positive.  He was given steroids and felt like as strong as a bull the next day. 😀  

My entire family was this way with the last variant of Covid (without the steroids).

I think my 2 oldest teenagers got covid on the liberty of seas (December 19th sailing) had no signs until Tuesday after debarking.  Passed to youngest sibling who showed signs only on Sunday on to last teen on Tuesday and mom and dad both by Wednesday.  My hubby was the sickest, but it lasted with him @4 days, only 1 day was fever and aches, other days were exhaustion, brain fog and standard cold.

In short what I am mainly saying is be careful for a few days after the cruise.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2