EVENING TURN DOWN SERVICE

Tablelamp

On our 7 night staycation cruise on Iona in September we asked our cabin steward to keep out of our cabin for the duration of our cruise and there were dirty towel stations and litter bins in the corridor where I put our used towels and litter and our cabin steward handed me the number of fresh towels we required.

Most hotel's like Premier Inn prefer this method as do we during covid.

Our breakfast room service waiter handed me the tray at our cabin door.

Graham.

No turn down Britannia Christmas cruise. I asked for ice to be delivered every evening and it arrived around 4.30pm every day as the latest he couid do it. We were in once when the delivery came and it was left outside.

Cunard have not stopped evening turndown service so cannot understand the logic of why P&O have stopped it. Personally the bean counters at P&O will be watching with a keen eye to see the reaction from guests and wouldnt be surprised if it never returned post pandemic.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Cunard have not stopped evening turndown service so cannot understand the logic of why P&O have stopped it. Personally the bean counters at P&O will be watching with a keen eye to see the reaction from guests and wouldnt be surprised if it never returned post pandemic.

That would be a shame - it’s those luxury bits that are so nice.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I was also thinking this may happen, I seem to remember something from the distant past where one of the ships had stopped evening turndown to test people's reactions. 

14 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Do not miss it. Can turn my bed down myself, do not need fresh towels every day (not very eco friendly?!) And hate milk chocolate. My steward had three uniforms!!

We like being pampered - you can always tell the steward that you don’t require it. 
I think it’s great !

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

P&O were still not sailing with full crew complement. Therefore cabin stewards have been undertaken restaurant duties as runners and also shipwide cleaning duties in the evenings instead of the turn-down service.

Before anyone says that P&O started at a lower capacity and it wasn't happening then, they were also on even lower crewing. Iona for example, sailed with a dining room closed, and the relevant F&B staff sat at home.

Different cruise lines have found different ways to allocate their staff to achieve the extra cleaning etc needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Further to my last post about the current situation on Azura, one of the Mdr restaurants was closed from 10 December to when we got off on 7 January, also they started closing part of the buffet at afternoon tea, also that our steward said he has other duties in the evenings. Staff are very light lipped about everything. Also stewards don’t supply and remove pool towels to your cabin but you can collect and return them yourself by the pools which I thought was an improvement especially as you could take as many as you liked!! Buffet staff were redeployed to the mdr in the evening. Plenty of cleaning going on both during the day and in the evening. We felt safer on the ship than if we had been at home where we are now. No social distancing in Brodies for the football matches and no social distancing in the mdr either. We had a great cruise despite everything.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

P&O were still not sailing with full crew complement. Therefore cabin stewards have been undertaken restaurant duties as runners and also shipwide cleaning duties in the evenings instead of the turn-down service.

Before anyone says that P&O started at a lower capacity and it wasn't happening then, they were also on even lower crewing. Iona for example, sailed with a dining room closed, and the relevant F&B staff sat at home.

Different cruise lines have found different ways to allocate their staff to achieve the extra cleaning etc needed.

Call me cynical but are P&O not sailing with full crew so therefore not offering the service as normal due to staff having Covid or is it because P&O have cut the staff and service to its customers to save money because they are running at well below capacity so trying to protect profit. Are they forgetting that many on these cruises booked possibly as long ago as 2 yrs and paid a price expecting a full service from P&O and are now getting a poorer product.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Call me cynical but are P&O not sailing with full crew so therefore not offering the service as normal due to staff having Covid or is it because P&O have cut the staff and service to its customers to save money because they are running at well below capacity so trying to protect profit. Are they forgetting that many on these cruises booked possibly as long ago as 2 yrs and paid a price expecting a full service from P&O and are now getting a poorer product.

I think most will accept that these are exceptional times and though P&O is not perfect they have to survive. We like the turn down service and will miss it if it is not in place in August, but will accept it as a one off .....

Having said that, when things settle down we would not be impressed if they did not continue it or, says she cynically, if they started to charge for it.....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

I think most will accept that these are exceptional times and though P&O is not perfect they have to survive. We like the turn down service and will miss it if it is not in place in August, but will accept it as a one off .....

Having said that, when things settle down we would not be impressed if they did not continue it or, says she cynically, if they started to charge for it.....

It could become a select booking perk, they could do with a few extras.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pete14 said:

It could become a select booking perk, they could do with a few extras.

The only thing we benefit from is pick your own cabin so something extra would be nice !

Don't give them idea though 🙂