EZ Air & British Air seat assignment

FlaMariner

Just now, FlaMariner said:

It looks like I cannot book seats on our BA flight (ticketed thru American) until 24 hours before departure.  Booked thru EZ Air. 

Is that right?  (Yes, our seats are in steerage)

Correct. Not sure how it works with EZ Air, but you can book seats in advance if you pay extra. 

And, just being pedantic, it's British Airways! 

• Like 1

In 2017 we had the same issue.  We were flying home from Rome after taking a TA.  No problem picking seats from Rome to London but London back to the states we had to pay extra in order to pick seats more than 24 hours in advance.  Don't understand why I could do it on one flight but not the other.

Had this experience already and has cost me over $350, possible more. If you want to book a seat on BA it costs and is non refundable. But the real issue is you have to pay for the flight first. My TA said this might have changed the flight from flexible to restricted (never was informed if true), which could affect the refund method.

I cancelled my up coming 25 day transatlantic, and made the HUGE mistake of having booked easy air BA with American as code share. I cancelled the trip after paying final payment (my second mistake but I was traveling with a big group of friends). Princess did a great job of quickly refunding all my costs to credit card including the princess insurance within a week except for air ($1784), not sure when or how my Air will be returned. 
I cancelled the cruise under the Prince cruise with confidence (and yes I had princess insurance). I will never book BA/American code share again.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, atchisog said:

But the real issue is you have to pay for the flight first.

I'm not sure I understand. How can you book a seat if you have not booked the flight ?

To the OP - in your position I would wait until nearer the time before booking your seats,  and keep an eye on availability.  When your seating choices start to look limited, then book your seats.  

57 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm not sure I understand. How can you book a seat if you have not booked the flight ?

To the OP - in your position I would wait until nearer the time before booking your seats,  and keep an eye on availability.  When your seating choices start to look limited, then book your seats.  

OP booked a flexible ticket. Quite common on this side of the pond. Book, get seats, then pay later at 45 days out

I haven't read every word of the thread.  Once reservations are booked, call the airline itself with whom the originating flight is booked )assuming you have a connecting flight to BA, give them your confirmation number/passenger name record for that flight, then ask them for the record locater of the British Airways flight you're booked on.  Then you can go in to book your seats, to British Airways web site and use the BA record locater/confirmation number/passenger name record number.  I don't know details re whether it has to be paid for, etc., but that's how you get into BA.  Don't use the HAL record locater/confirm number on any airline web site to get into that airline's reservations you have for yourself; you have to use the airline record locater/confirm number.  The HA won't get you into any record when you call  or try to log into your reservation on the airline under whose flag you're booked in.  If BA is your originating airline, somehow get the BA confirmation number; perhaps ask HAL for it, don't tell them why; I ALWAYS have the airline record locaters of all flights on hand; they are the key that unlocks a reservation and allows an airline to find your res. for sure.

Once you're in your res. on BA, you should be able to book seats at any time, and buy better seats.  We were able to do that several years ago, no problem.  Things may have changed.

Edited by 12cruise2

I think your main issue is that it is a code share flight with American. Had same issue with seats on our flight home after river cruise in October. Once I  got the BA booking # and being BA Avíos members I just went directly into BA web site and selected our seats. It worked that way for us. 

For our upcoming Norway cruise we originally booked via EZair (which we always use for International Flights when cruising Princess) a code share with American (BA) and had issues picking the seats. Ended up just booking flights both way with British and then were able to pick seats. This cost us a few $ more than the code share, but my husband wanted to select his seats. These are non-stop flights. FYI we book directly with a Princess PVP and don’t use a TA. I will manage our flights myself. No issues getting our air money back from Princess after their last minute cancellation for August 2020 British Isles because of Covid.

Only booking first or business class allows picking seats on Princess site. You state you are steerage so you don't get to pick until after you pay for airfare, usually 45 days prior out. You could opt for payment early but then you can't get a refund.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

I haven't read every word of the thread.  Once reservations are booked, call the airline itself with whom the originating flight is booked )assuming you have a connecting flight to BA, give them your confirmation number/passenger name record for that flight, then ask them for the record locater of the British Airways flight you're booked on.  Then you can go in to book your seats, to British Airways web site and use the BA record locater/confirmation number/passenger name record number.  I don't know details re whether it has to be paid for, etc., but that's how you get into BA.  Don't use the HAL record locater/confirm number on any airline web site to get into that airline's reservations you have for yourself; you have to use the airline record locater/confirm number.  The HA won't get you into any record when you call  or try to log into your reservation on the airline under whose flag you're booked in.  If BA is your originating airline, somehow get the BA confirmation number; perhaps ask HAL for it, don't tell them why; I ALWAYS have the airline record locaters of all flights on hand; they are the key that unlocks a reservation and allows an airline to find your res. for sure.

Once you're in your res. on BA, you should be able to book seats at any time, and buy better seats.  We were able to do that several years ago, no problem.  Things may have changed.

The actual airline booking code is provided by EZ-Air - no need to go hunting.  

Several airlines now share the same booking code (FF partners).  But true that a codeshare booking code may be different than the operating airline code.  The codeshare airline can provide it - or it is visible in their reservation record.  BA does want to charge for seats.  My plan is to avoid BA.

18 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Only booking first or business class allows picking seats on Princess site. You state you are steerage so you don't get to pick until after you pay for airfare, usually 45 days prior out. You could opt for payment early but then you can't get a refund.

In many (most?) cases you can also select seats if booking Premium Economy.

23 minutes ago, RetrieverBeliever said:

I think your main issue is that it is a code share flight with American. Had same issue with seats on our flight home after river cruise in October. Once I  got the BA booking # and being BA Avíos members I just went directly into BA web site and selected our seats. It worked that way for us. 

For our upcoming Norway cruise we originally booked via EZair (which we always use for International Flights when cruising Princess) a code share with American (BA) and had issues picking the seats. Ended up just booking flights both way with British and then were able to pick seats. This cost us a few $ more than the code share, but my husband wanted to select his seats. These are non-stop flights. FYI we book directly with a Princess PVP and don’t use a TA. I will manage our flights myself. No issues getting our air money back from Princess after their last minute cancellation for August 2020 British Isles because of Covid.

Yes, Avios has benefits, but if not a regular BA customer, seat selection is not so easy.  I avoid BA if at all possible.  We don't normally fly One World airlines.  OTOH, I am not too worried about FF points since we wouldn't be flying enough to earn a status that matters.

20 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

In many (most?) cases you can also select seats if booking Premium Economy.

But again, at a cost ! Even in business class you have to pay with BA if you want to select seats in advance, unless you have status.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Exactly.  BA is not nice.

But BA are not alone in charging for seats unfortunately.

I do object to having to pay for a seat when I've paid a fortune to travel in Club.

26 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Thank you - didn't know that. 

Air France and SAS don't let me select a seat until they're paid either. It's not just BA. I think it's a your side VS our side thing (Air France once made a once in a lifetime mistake: paid for ticket / went to select seat and a business one popped up for $75!!!! Jumped on it. When trying to change error was noted so I had to stay upstairs. Happy mistake)

7 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Air France and SAS don't let me select a seat until they're paid either. It's not just BA. I think it's a your side VS our side thing (Air France once made a once in a lifetime mistake: paid for ticket / went to select seat and a business one popped up for $75!!!! Jumped on it. When trying to change error was noted so I had to stay upstairs. Happy mistake)

It's one thing to have to wait to select a seat and quite another to have to pay big $ when you have already booked a premium/business seat.

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

It's one thing to have to wait to select a seat and quite another to have to pay big $ when you have already booked a premium/business seat.

Yes. Except my original ticket was economy. Their error

I always fly economy.  I'm cheap. I have my economy UA seat but although I requested 29c on my SAS through EZAIR & EZAIR will forward my request, I really don't know what seat I have on the return (code share to Europe)

Edited by Ombud

Earlier this year I used EZ Air for a TA (subsequently cancelled). I booked BA business, not AA code share, and with record locator was able to pick our seats. No charge. I also booked a Celebrity cruise through their flight program, again, booking BA, not AA code share, this time premium eco. With the record locator I was also able to pick our seats and again, was not charged. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, koolforkatz said:

Earlier this year I used EZ Air for a TA (subsequently cancelled). I booked BA business, not AA code share, and with record locator was able to pick our seats. No charge. I also booked a Celebrity cruise through their flight program, again, booking BA, not AA code share, this time premium eco. With the record locator I was also able to pick our seats and again, was not charged. 

Are the seats confirmed on the BA site?

1 hour ago, RetrieverBeliever said:

I dont think the issue itself is that its a codeshare. Your problems come when booking via the airline which is not physically operating the flight.

I'm the OP.....Thanks for all the responses....but I remain confused and puzzled (nothing new for me when trying to figure out airline procedures).

I'm not understanding why I would buy a ticket that does not come with a seat, but hey, whatever.   LOL.  The next confusing thing would be why do I buy a ticket for plane trip and then later buy a seat on that same plane.

I think I will chill out for a few days and then ask the TA the question about seat assignment.  If it comes with a fee, I'm thinking I can just show up at the airport with my ticket and they will have seats for us w/no charge. 

We have flown across the pond many times and have been in all seats (Delta One, Premium, business, coach) and we find them all uncomfortable and miserable so we are just fine paying for steerage and getting there when everyone else does!

Thanks again for all the responses and experiences........