Royal Cancelled Symphony Cruise, Offered NOTHING

59 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

With the Airlines its a straight credit. With the cruise line they have people paying with FCC's that are 25% more in value than a regular FCC and some probably have a few FCC's stacked from other cancellations plus factor in expiration dates and you have a mess to sort through.

This makes no sense to me. So what if the value is 125%?

Last year I had to wait over four months for them to issue an FCC and it wasn't for 125%, it was just for the deposit amount. I'm still waiting for a refund from October that hasn't been processed yet.

Royal keeps saying "please be patient." On the website, in the emails, and on the phone. How much more patience do we need to have with them?

The OP is going to get a refund or FCC. But when that will happen is completely unpredictable.

My 1/8 Symphony sailing was canceled on 1/7. The email says "be patient." The refund maybe this month, and the FCC maybe next month. No promises.

So if some of us come here to vent, so be it. I've been nothing but patient with Royal.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Did you tell them you’re Diamond Platinum??  That should carry some weight..

LOL, right? Except for your free bag of laundry and free specialty dinners status gets you squat. Never played this game, my cruises are booked on itinerary and cost, whatever line can give me that is where I book, points are pointless lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Pratique said:

This makes no sense to me. So what if the value is 125%?

Last year I had to wait over four months for them to issue an FCC and it wasn't for 125%, it was just for the deposit amount. I'm still waiting for a refund from October that hasn't been processed yet.

Royal keeps saying "please be patient." On the website, in the emails, and on the phone. How much more patience do we need to have with them?

The OP is going to get a refund or FCC. But when that will happen is completely unpredictable.

My 1/8 Symphony sailing was canceled on 1/7. The email says "be patient." The refund maybe this month, and the FCC maybe next month. No promises.

So if some of us come here to vent, so be it. I've been nothing but patient with Royal.

I have seen several posts of people waiting months and months for refunds and cruise credits to show up-that's really bad practice.

Someone asked why you would want to cruise with the same line in the same week-because they have your money tied up and you already have flights, house sitters, hotels booked that's why. You already have the time off from work approved. It might be the only vacation you get in a year. Lots of reasons.

Not being able to "lift and shift" or whatever it's called with Royal is just wrong. They have no problems taking money right away-but can't even give you a cabin on a different ship/sailing?

Fingers crossed Symphony sails on 1/29-I really, really don't want to deal with all of this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, asalligo said:

Not unreasonable for the OP to be upset. Royal did leave him hanging with a week off from work and now no way to book anything else at this point. Royal is just doing what they can though. These cancellations will cost them dearly. 

Totally agree be it you are a newbie or "Diamond"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tbo said:

I have seen several posts of people waiting months and months for refunds and cruise credits to show up-that's really bad practice.

Someone asked why you would want to cruise with the same line in the same week-because they have your money tied up and you already have flights, house sitters, hotels booked that's why. You already have the time off from work approved. It might be the only vacation you get in a year. Lots of reasons.

Not being able to "lift and shift" or whatever it's called with Royal is just wrong. They have no problems taking money right away-but can't even give you a cabin on a different ship/sailing?

Fingers crossed Symphony sails on 1/29-I really, really don't want to deal with all of this.

I completely agree. We were ready to head to the airport and drop off our pets for boarding when our cruise was canceled. A cruise that was booked long ago and we decided to stick with it based on all the happy talk I was reading here on CC from people who have already been cruising in recent months.

Now I'm waiting on yet another refund I still haven't gotten and yet another FCC that I can't use until it is issued. But this is CC where the whiners get blasted.

I feel for you, you have a tough decision to make. I think it is unlikely Royal will give you less than a week's notice if they cancel, so you could take the chance and see how it plays out or pre-emptively cancel.

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

I completely agree. We were ready to head to the airport and drop off our pets for boarding when our cruise was canceled. A cruise that was booked long ago and we decided to stick with it based on all the happy talk I was reading here on CC from people who have already been cruising in recent months.

Now I'm waiting on yet another refund I still haven't gotten and yet another FCC that I can't use until it is issued. But this is CC where the whiners get blasted.

I feel for you, you have a tough decision to make. I think it is unlikely Royal will give you less than a week's notice if they cancel, so you could take the chance and see how it plays out or pre-emptively cancel.

I'm sorry about your cruise-that stinks, because you really look forward to it. I don't think it's whining to expect them to do what they said they would do. I get that it's a pandemic, but don't promise refunds and FCC and then take an entire quarter or longer to get it back to your customers who put faith into you. No mate, I don't think it's whining at all!

At this point for us, it's in for a penny, in for a pound. I'm holding on to see if they cancel, I don't think it will be last minute if they do. I'm even a bit hopeful that it will be a good cruise if they can get the crew healthy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cnice515 said:

This whole thread has made me a bit sad with the utter lack of empathy and respect for your fellow humans by most of the replies. 

Sure, the OP got her C&A level wrong but geez folks, glad that none of you have ever made a mistake smh. 

Although I am sure that he/she was offered something (full refund and/or FCC), there is NOTHING being offered that can be used right now as far as a refund or FCC.  So unless this person a) has the ability to wait or b) has the means to come out of pocket to pay for a new cruise before getting the refund or FCC then they are stuck without a cruise and any money that has been spent that is unable to be recouped.

Just have some compassion people and be kind to others that have been affected by things out of their control whether you completely agree with them or not.

Wrong place for sympathy. Jokers, thread hijackers and comic-wannabees are rampant here. Not monitored or reined in by staff -- just encouraged to continue the nonsense. Sorry, OP, I feel your pain.

no dog in this fight, just thinking aloud, probably whatever department handles these resolutions is very short staffed too right now. Even if you have the sniffles you miss work for a couple days getting tested, and if you were in close contact with a confirmed case, you miss at least five days of work. Or maybe they are short staffed because no one wants to do those jobs, they can't find people to hire. 

20 hours ago, crashedfsu said:

They said we can have the certificate back or our money back. They won't issue either for at least a month, so I can't even book another Royal Cruise the same week with that money. Is this completely absurd? Is this how they are treating Diamond Platinum customers? Am I stupid for continuing to give this company my business? Help. 

You have no savings to float a new cruise until you get your refund?

I understand waiting for an FCC if you have no plans for another future cruise, but not being able to book until you get a refund?

Another poster who starts a new account just to see how many responses he can score. While some of you out there have genuine issues ... I really doubt this person has any and I question whether he(she) has any cruises booked at all. Most of us get it ... and are just reading along for entertainment value, but I feel badly for those of you who have been stung by cancelled cruises ... I've been there and it is painful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

You have no savings to float a new cruise until you get your refund?

I understand waiting for an FCC if you have no plans for another future cruise, but not being able to book until you get a refund?

Totally agree. I posted a new thread asking how long does it take to get an FCC. Not much interest as no one answered. 

31 minutes ago, emeraldcity said:

Another poster who starts a new account just to see how many responses he can score. While some of you out there have genuine issues ... I really doubt this person has any and I question whether he(she) has any cruises booked at all. Most of us get it ... and are just reading along for entertainment value, but I feel badly for those of you who have been stung by cancelled cruises ... I've been there and it is painful.

That is quite a psychic.  Opened an account almost 15 years ago, knowing their "imaginary" cruise in 2022 would be cancelled.  😄

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, crashedfsu said:

I'm a diamond platinum member. Had multiple cruises cancel in 2020 and used a certificate to book Symphony of the Seas Jan 22 2022. Royal just cancelled the cruise less than 2 weeks before sailing, and according to the cruise line, its not for guest safety but "staffing." 

Since we used a cruise credit from a cancelled sailing they are offering NOTHING. They said we can have the certificate back or our money back. They won't issue either for at least a month, so I can't even book another Royal Cruise the same week with that money. Is this completely absurd? Is this how they are treating Diamond Platinum customers? Am I stupid for continuing to give this company my business? Help. 

Nope not true. Call royal and get on

another cruise… that’s what we did for our 2 cancelled cruises this month.  YOU CAN DO IT!!  Btw, we did pay a little bit more money but so worth it!! 

9 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

My issue with the OP is (s)he sounds like since they are "Diamond Platinum" (which I agree is just a mistake, but I think it's humorous) they should be entitled to more than some lowly Gold (or heaven forbid, NEW) cruiser. 

And the title is flat out wrong.  They can get their money back, therefore, by definition IS "something".   

im a new cruiser that put at least 100 bucks thru the slots when i was on oasis and i'm still waiting for my free cruise! 😵

bad enough the concierge didnt get us out in time to be first on coco cay and peons got better spots than me..now this! stomp stomp. thats it. i'm going to carnival..wahh.

one rule that needs added to CC is when you want to discuss your status you should put it in the title so i can ignore it. i think all statuses should be eliminated across the industry. the uppity nature of the status conversations just really is a turn off. if you have a good product people will buy it. and people will stop all the entitlement comments. 

now back to my medicare commercial on tv, gotta see what benefits i'm ENTITLED to! 

• Haha 2

Just now, sandycruzr said:

Nope not true. Call royal and get on

another cruise… that’s what we did for our 2 cancelled cruises this month.  YOU CAN DO IT!!  Btw, we did pay a little bit more money but so worth it!! 

Oh btw, they transferred my booking number and I’m still getting my double points. I did this through crown and anchor.   I was upset too at the cancellations but I am very happy to be getting on another ship

for a few weeks.  Call and go

Have some fun!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, crashedfsu said:

They're cancelling at the last minute because of "staffing" issues i.e. their fault, and its too late for me to book anything else for that week. Its hard to get off work for vacation, and im locked out of everything. They won't even let me rebook on another royal ship that week, they're saying I have to pay new money. They should offer a certificate for a discount on a future cruise or something to show they care... but just leaving me in a lurch with nothing? why continue to book with them? am I missing something?

Book another cruise with your credit card for that week. Your refund will be credited shortly thereafter. Seems easy enough. Sorry about the situation though, it would suck to be canceled on, but I think it's pretty much out of their hands at this point. It's crazy out there.

11 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

I thought the diamond platinum comment was just an autocorrect issue until I saw them say it two or three more times.  They were offered a full refund or a FCC, far from nothing.  Lots of temper tantrum posts going around today.  The Royal Up posts are just as bad.

Lol-I’m a new RCL cruiser and I was trying to figure out if us lowly “surgical steel minuses” were allowed to be in the presence of diamond platinums. Is there a special curtesy I should be practicing? There has to be a handbook or resource guide for these types of things 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hmm, let's see.

You got a cruise canceled.  You can opt for the refund.  Book new cruise.  When refund comes, it applies to the card, and it will offset the charge for the new cruise.  You might be out a bit of interest.

EASY.

I have stayed away from Cruise Critic for awhile because there are so many nasty responses.  I see things still are the same.  so sorry to see this. 

There are many nice people on here also, and I am SO glad to see you guys are still around!!!  

Please remember that customer service at any cruise line is a very difficult job right now.  I know they have to deal with a lot of people that are upset.  Some people get very emotional.  the customer service people didn't create this situation but they are put on the front line.

Everyone's situation is so different.  some can make new plans to cruise without any issues,   while others have invested a year of planning, and can not easily change work schedules and travel arrangements.   And probably NEED a vacation more than we know!  so to lose it is so stressful.

Personally I have 4 cruises cancelled since Covid so I can relate to the experience.   It is disappointing for all of us.

for those kind people, thanks for being so kind.  sometimes people come here to get support and the kind words can really make a difference for someone that is really upset.  

• Like 3