Royal Cancelled Symphony Cruise, Offered NOTHING

I'm a diamond platinum member. Had multiple cruises cancel in 2020 and used a certificate to book Symphony of the Seas Jan 22 2022. Royal just cancelled the cruise less than 2 weeks before sailing, and according to the cruise line, its not for guest safety but "staffing." 

Since we used a cruise credit from a cancelled sailing they are offering NOTHING. They said we can have the certificate back or our money back. They won't issue either for at least a month, so I can't even book another Royal Cruise the same week with that money. Is this completely absurd? Is this how they are treating Diamond Platinum customers? Am I stupid for continuing to give this company my business? Help. 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, crashedfsu said:

I'm a diamond platinum member. Had multiple cruises cancel in 2020 and used a certificate to book Symphony of the Seas Jan 22 2022. Royal just cancelled the cruise less than 2 weeks before sailing, and according to the cruise line, its not for guest safety but "staffing." 

Since we used a cruise credit from a cancelled sailing they are offering NOTHING. They said we can have the certificate back or our money back. They won't issue either for at least a month, so I can't even book another Royal Cruise the same week with that money. Is this completely absurd? Is this how they are treating Diamond Platinum customers? Am I stupid for continuing to give this company my business? Help. 

Diamond Platinum?

Welcome to cruise critic; they are giving you your money back, what more do you want??

• Like 11

They're cancelling at the last minute because of "staffing" issues i.e. their fault, and its too late for me to book anything else for that week. Its hard to get off work for vacation, and im locked out of everything. They won't even let me rebook on another royal ship that week, they're saying I have to pay new money. They should offer a certificate for a discount on a future cruise or something to show they care... but just leaving me in a lurch with nothing? why continue to book with them? am I missing something?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Diamond Platinum?

Welcome to cruise critic; they are giving you your money back, what more do you want??

Had at least 10 Cruises Canceled last 2+ yrs alone w/o any FCC or Shift, sent $$$$ back without any other Choice. Nothing new... Staffing issue? Hundreds sick, like Weather as they say Act of God. Does suck though

Edited by ONECRUISER

On our cancelled Celebrity Australia cruise for this year, it took 2 months to get our fcc processed, and couldn't book in the mean time.   Our TA COULD "hold" a reservation until it was processed, but without a TA, this wouldn't have happened.   It is stupid.   Once they cancel, their system should be able to recognize that you have the credit!   

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, crashedfsu said:

How rude of the staff to get ill in the middle of an historic pandemic. Yes, it sucks having a vacation cancelled. I should be in Hawaii right now but instead it's 1 below with wind chill. And that's the warmest it will be for 48 hours. I get it, but Royal Caribbean didn't do it to inconvenience you or make your day worse. We are all ready for this to be done and life to be back to normal. There's bound to be a resort in the area your cruise was leaving from that you could go to instead. It's not the same, but it's something. Or, you could come here, freeze your toes off and help us paint our downstairs. We can't even ski because it's too cold. We do have wine. 2022 isn't proving to be an improvement over 2021, that's for sure. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Many people on CruiseCritic have reported moving their cancelled cruises to other ships for the same weeks. I had a back to back which was 14 days cancelled on Friday.  I am just moving the bookings to new sailings, no waiting for FCCs or refunds. 
Also, we’re in a pandemic, these things happen. People get sick. I don’t think anyone cares what your status is. 

Edited by RosieRoo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, crashedfsu said:

They're cancelling at the last minute because of "staffing" issues i.e. their fault, and its too late for me to book anything else for that week. Its hard to get off work for vacation, and im locked out of everything. They won't even let me rebook on another royal ship that week, they're saying I have to pay new money. They should offer a certificate for a discount on a future cruise or something to show they care... but just leaving me in a lurch with nothing? why continue to book with them? am I missing something?

I am sorry this happened to you.  The surge of covid cases also impacts staffing of cruise ships, as vaccinated people are contracting this variant frequently.  Positive crew and their close contacts are quarantined… the ship ends up short staffed.  It is a shame, but, like all of us who had. Rouses canceled, you’ll have to decide what to do instead.  Good luck, Diamond platinum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, RosieRoo said:

Many people on CruiseCritic have reported moving their cancelled cruises to other ships for the same weeks. I had a back to back which was 14 days cancelled on Friday.  I am just moving the bookings to new sailings, no waiting for FCCs or refunds. 
Also, we’re in a pandemic, these things happen. People get sick. I don’t think anyone cares what your status is. 

Was there anything you had to do  in order to move to the other ship/sailing?

My TA wanted a new deposit, RC said they can tranfer the sailing but the TA has to request it. Of course this all happened near closing time so I am waiting until tomorrow to deal with it. The cruise I am wanting to switch to is actually less money than I have already paid, but if I can switch, they can keep the extra money, it's under $100 

Edited by LilBlackDress

2 hours ago, crashedfsu said:

I am still trying to figure out what you mean by "diamond platinum member
I know what a Platinum Member recieves and a Diamond Member receives. But where does that leave Emerald? 

Since you paid for the cruise with FCC that means you already received 125% of the original cruise that was canceled. Do you want them to give you an additional 125%? 
I agree they should make it an option or a little easier to switch from one sailing to another during the same same time frame. 
My DH has the same issues picking is vacation time almost a year in advance. He has only run into one conflict s far but we were able to make it work... 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

I also don’t know why anyone would travel without insurance during these times for flights/hotels reimbursement if needed.

Travel insurance doesn't apply if the cruiseline cancels the sailing (unless due to the cruiseline going under).

• Like 1

Offered nothing? Not true! You can take the refund or FCC. 

You'll get no sympathy here, they cancelled mine 2 days out (Jan 9th sailing)

Yes it takes at least 45 days to see your money in either form . . . there are 3 or 4 other people cancelling as well - oh i mean 3 or 4 thousand people!

Royal was able to just move mine to a Jan 16th sailing, all you have to do is ask and be willing to wait on the phone an hour. 

Tell me, where on the C&A scale is Diamond Platinum? 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, melbur said:

Offered nothing? Not true! You can take the refund or FCC. 

Yes it takes at least 45 days to see your money in either form . . . there are 3 or 4 other people cancelling as well - oh i mean 3 or 4 thousand people!

Royal was able to just move mine to a Jan 16th sailing, all you have to do is ask and be willing to wait on the phone an hour. 

Tell me, where on the C&A scale is Diamond Platinum? 

Aren't you folks from that weekend's sailings getting both a refund and an FCC equal to the amount you paid for the cruise?

• Like 4

Yes for the 9th that's true, but the same offer as above for my b2b on the 15th. Two days notice with a pre-hotel non-refundable and covid test paid for I think that's fair. Anything outside of this weekend was FCC or refund.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cookiersmom said:

On our cancelled Celebrity Australia cruise for this year, it took 2 months to get our fcc processed, and couldn't book in the mean time.   Our TA COULD "hold" a reservation until it was processed, but without a TA, this wouldn't have happened.   It is stupid.   Once they cancel, their system should be able to recognize that you have the credit!   

My understanting from another thread, is that they have a 3rd party processing FCCs.

8 hours ago, crashedfsu said:

I would request the money refund and not take another certificate. Money in YOUR pocket instead of Royal holding your money for an indeterminate period of time. 

Also, since you would have to book another cruise with other monies, why not have a new experience and go on another cruiseline that same week? I like Royal, but booked and went on a HAL cruise in early December after 11 years of not sailing with them as I liked the itinerary and had a wonderful time. Select one and go. It’s always good to have new experiences.

All the best whatever you decide.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

How rude of the staff to get ill in the middle of an historic pandemic. Yes, it sucks having a vacation cancelled. I should be in Hawaii right now but instead it's 1 below with wind chill. And that's the warmest it will be for 48 hours. I get it, but Royal Caribbean didn't do it to inconvenience you or make your day worse. We are all ready for this to be done and life to be back to normal. There's bound to be a resort in the area your cruise was leaving from that you could go to instead. It's not the same, but it's something. Or, you could come here, freeze your toes off and help us paint our downstairs. We can't even ski because it's too cold. We do have wine. 2022 isn't proving to be an improvement over 2021, that's for sure. 

Wait til tomorrow, if you think it's cold now.

Where are you in Harpswell? We live in Gray but have a summer place in Cundy's Harbor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, melbur said:

zero sympathy?

What about lost airline tickets? maybe, a non-refundable hotel? cost of Covid tests already performed? some other intrinsic values? 

Gosh darn it, a bit of sympathy for fellow humans would be nice. Especially, since you are in the same situation.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Travel insurance doesn't apply if the cruiseline cancels the sailing (unless due to the cruiseline going under).

Not sure what policies you are looking at but the ones I purchase do cover non refundable expenses if the cruise is canceled….

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, paul&michelle said:

Wait til tomorrow, if you think it's cold now.

Where are you in Harpswell? We live in Gray but have a summer place in Cundy's Harbor.

We're actually up in Bethel now. We were on Indian Rest for 17 years. Cold everywhere!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, crashedfsu said:

Since we used a cruise credit from a cancelled sailing they are offering NOTHING. They said we can have the certificate back or our money back.

So which is it?  Are they offering "NOTHING", or are they giving you the certificate/money back?

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1