Help From Previous Alaska Cruisers Needed

llarsen

Hello,

We have taken 27 cruises over the years and have never sailed to Alaska, even though we live on the West Coast. All our cruises have been Caribbean and Europe.

I know nothing about Alaska cruising. 

My husbands brothers are coming from Michigan for this Alaska cruise. One of them sailed on Princess (several years ago) in July and loved it. He said his only disappointment was not seeing any bears catching Salmon and would like to go in August or September if this would be better timing for this.

I am born and raised in So California and am not a cold weather person (like they all are). I know the weather will be cool but I do not want a lot of rain or bone chilling weather. Is September going to be too cold or rainy for me?

Looking at dates, many Ocean View cabins are already Sold Out. This leaves inside cabin (which I don't mind) or Balcony (which may be too cold to use)

There are a few Ocean View cabins on a couple dates that are looking out over the front of the ship.

The cruise we are looking at is Discovery Princess Seattle to Seattle (Either in August or September...need help deciding on month)

Ketchikan 6:30am - 3:00pm

Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier (scenic Cruising) Do we need a balcony cabin or is viewing from top deck a better option?

Juneau 12:30pm - 9:00pm

Skagway 6:00am - 5:00pm

Victoria 7:00pm - 11:59pm (I am disappointed in the late arrival. I really want to see the Butchart Gardens, so we may come in a day earlier to Seattle and visit the gardens from there)

Questions:

1. Which month would you choose for the best weather while viewing wildlife? August or September (also keeping in mind that one brother wants to see bears catching Salmon)

2. Is there much to see from your Balcony to make it worth the cost of it, verses an Inside Cabin? (only a few Ocean View left on some sailings)

3. Is there a reason you would choose a different itinerary than this one?

Thanks so much for any input you can give on helping us select the month to sail on this Alaska cruise!

7 minutes ago, llarsen said:

Hello,

We have taken 27 cruises over the years and have never sailed to Alaska, even though we live on the West Coast. All our cruises have been Caribbean and Europe.

I know nothing about Alaska cruising. 

My husbands brothers are coming from Michigan for this Alaska cruise. One of them sailed on Princess (several years ago) in July and loved it. He said his only disappointment was not seeing any bears catching Salmon and would like to go in August or September if this would be better timing for this.

I am born and raised in So California and am not a cold weather person (like they all are). I know the weather will be cool but I do not want a lot of rain or bone chilling weather. Is September going to be too cold or rainy for me?

Looking at dates, many Ocean View cabins are already Sold Out. This leaves inside cabin (which I don't mind) or Balcony (which may be too cold to use)

There are a few Ocean View cabins on a couple dates that are looking out over the front of the ship.

The cruise we are looking at is Discovery Princess Seattle to Seattle (Either in August or September...need help deciding on month)

Ketchikan 6:30am - 3:00pm

Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier (scenic Cruising) Do we need a balcony cabin or is viewing from top deck a better option?

Juneau 12:30pm - 9:00pm

Skagway 6:00am - 5:00pm

Victoria 7:00pm - 11:59pm (I am disappointed in the late arrival. I really want to see the Butchart Gardens, so we may come in a day earlier to Seattle and visit the gardens from there)

Questions:

1. Which month would you choose for the best weather while viewing wildlife? August or September (also keeping in mind that one brother wants to see bears catching Salmon)

2. Is there much to see from your Balcony to make it worth the cost of it, verses an Inside Cabin? (only a few Ocean View left on some sailings)

Thanks so much for any input you can give on helping us select the month to sail on this Alaska cruise!

While the Discovery is new, the decks won't be as plentiful as a ship like the Grand.  And the Discovery will go on the outside of Vancouver Island in rough waters to begin and end your cruise. 

We used our balcony once; you will hear the "you MUST have a balcony..."  you don't.  Spend that money on excursions.  The views are panoramic from the open decks. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

While the Discovery is new, the decks won't be as plentiful as a ship like the Grand.  And the Discovery will go on the outside of Vancouver Island in rough waters to begin and end your cruise. 

We used our balcony once; you will hear the "you MUST have a balcony..."  you don't.  Spend that money on excursions.  The views are panoramic from the open decks. 

Thank you for your quick response and honesty. We have been on the Grand and loved it! If I can't talk my brother in law out of the Seattle to Seattle itinerary, would you steer clear of the Ocean View cabins at the front of ship and go midship? (His wife gets sea sick) 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, llarsen said:

Thank you for your quick response and honesty. We have been on the Grand and loved it! If I can't talk my brother in law out of the Seattle to Seattle itinerary, would you steer clear of the Ocean View cabins at the front of ship and go midship? (His wife gets sea sick) 

If they need to book interior cabins, check out the midship or mid forward deck 5, which is low and in the middle, less motion. Also very convenient since these are a short 30 second walk to the piazza. 

Questions:

1. Which month would you choose for the best weather while viewing wildlife? August or September (also keeping in mind that one brother wants to see bears catching Salmon)  I have sailed to Alaska in August and September and had both extremes in weather.  in August of 2021 it was cold and rainy and I was not in the mood to go out and explore in the cold at all so I stayed on the ship.  Covid was also a factor for me to stay on the ship.  On our September sailing back in 2018 it was one of the driest periods they had experienced and we had amazing weather so we got a little spoiled.  However, there were really no waterfalls because they had gone so many days without rain at that time that they had dried up.  I think Alaska is a place where you should plan for wet, cold weather. 

2. Is there much to see from your Balcony to make it worth the cost of it, verses an Inside Cabin? (only a few Ocean View left on some sailings)  I have actually never had a balcony cabin.  On our first we had a window suite on the Grand Princess that was amazing.  I highly recommend.  There are so many places to be viewing from the ship you don't need a balcony.  A window is nice though.

3. Is there a reason you would choose a different itinerary than this one?  First time we sailed out of SF and that was my favorite.  I love sea days.  I also loved the inside passage portion of the sailing and had no idea we would be so close to land all of the time.  If you are adventurous, try an itinerary that makes a stop at icy strait point.  It has a zip line that is pretty fantastic!  But not to be missed is Glacier Bay!  Breathtaking!

As far as the weather is concerned...there are NO guarantees!  I know that's not what you want to hear.  Our first sailing (August 2019) they were literally having a heat wave.  It was in the mid 70s the whole time.  Even the locals were commenting on how crazy it was. 

Our second sailing was just this past year, and we had some really dreary days with one day it actually drizzling rain.  It wasn't much but it was a stark difference from our first trip.  Still...Alaska is amazing.  At the end of our first trip we knew right away that we would be going back.  

There are 2 main itineraries; Glacier Bay and Endicott Arm.  Most people say that GB is the one to see...we did Endicott Arm (with Dawes Glacier) on the first trip.  There are no words!  You should enjoy either and you may even decide to go back and do the other like we did.  Have a great trip!

Discovery only has a few ocean view cabins. It isn't like the Grand Class ships where deck 5 & deck 8 have ocean view cabins. The Discovery has obstructed view balcony cabins on deck 8. Most of these do not have much of an obstructed view. Balcony cabins have the advantage of a full wall window/sliding door. For scenic viewing the upper open decks are best no matter which ship you book.

Weather is always a gamble. Just be prepared for whatever. Bring a rain jacket and layered clothing,

• Thanks 1

IMO, for first time Alaska cruisers, Glacier Bay is a must. We’ve been there several times, and it never gets old. Going in September and October, weather wise, is always uncertain. One year the weather was glorious, but on the next cruise (same month), it was cold and rainy. Either way, you will not be disappointed. 

• Thanks 1

Balcony fan here.  We saw TONS of wildlife from our balcony, so much so we cancelled our final planned excursion and saved the money.  For us, the main attraction of Alaska is the scenery and wildlife, and we saw so much more by having our balcony than having to traipse up to the open decks.  I know there will be the 'but you see 360 degrees' crowd that advocate against the balcony, but for us the convenience of having our own private space any time day or night was worth it.  The day we were in Glacier Bay we did go up to the open decks after hearing so much about the 'vast views', but after a short time we went back to the privacy and quiet of our balcony.  We could hear the ice popping in the water and see sea animals up close, vs the open decks where all we could hear were people talking.  From our room we could easily hear the ranger narration, and had the binoculars handy when he announced a grizzly bear sighting.  Throughout the voyage we saw many whales, eagles, seals, and other marine life.  Weather was not an issue for us either and we took way more layers, jackets, gloves, etc than we needed.  

Enjoy your trip no matter what you decide to do 🙂

Edit to add that in this age of covid I would encourage the balcony to avoid the crowds as well.  Too many people pressed together on the open deck railing vs your own private space.

Edited by Paula_MacFan
  • Like 1

I’ve done the AK cruise many times and also live in AK. September is a very risky month for cruising here; we have had some wild storms. I only recommend that month if you’ve done AK a bunch of times, if you just want to enjoy the indoor space of a ship, if you don’t get seasick, and/or if you’re trying to save a lot of money. Since you want to get the most out of your experience, do August. Sure, you could get torrential rain every day; it’s AK and totally unpredictable. That can be part of the experience. The one way Voyage of the Glaciers will give more of a solid AK experience, but if your family is set on round trip Seattle, you’ll still see plenty. Glacier Bay has spectacular glacier viewing, so it’s best to do an itinerary with that. 

As for a balcony, it’s a pretty wonderful experience being able to keep your curtains open and have floor to ceiling views of mountains and cascading water, and being able to duck in and out of your room while viewing wildlife and glaciers. 

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise!

57 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I’ve done the AK cruise many times and also live in AK. September is a very risky month for cruising here; we have had some wild storms. I only recommend that month if you’ve done AK a bunch of times, if you just want to enjoy the indoor space of a ship, if you don’t get seasick, and/or if you’re trying to save a lot of money. Since you want to get the most out of your experience, do August. Sure, you could get torrential rain every day; it’s AK and totally unpredictable. That can be part of the experience. The one way Voyage of the Glaciers will give more of a solid AK experience, but if your family is set on round trip Seattle, you’ll still see plenty. Glacier Bay has spectacular glacier viewing, so it’s best to do an itinerary with that. 

As for a balcony, it’s a pretty wonderful experience being able to keep your curtains open and have floor to ceiling views of mountains and cascading water, and being able to duck in and out of your room while viewing wildlife and glaciers. 

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you for all the information! I think August will be best bet for us!

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Balcony fan here.  We saw TONS of wildlife from our balcony, so much so we cancelled our final planned excursion and saved the money.  For us, the main attraction of Alaska is the scenery and wildlife, and we saw so much more by having our balcony than having to traipse up to the open decks.  I know there will be the 'but you see 360 degrees' crowd that advocate against the balcony, but for us the convenience of having our own private space any time day or night was worth it.  The day we were in Glacier Bay we did go up to the open decks after hearing so much about the 'vast views', but after a short time we went back to the privacy and quiet of our balcony.  We could hear the ice popping in the water and see sea animals up close, vs the open decks where all we could hear were people talking.  From our room we could easily hear the ranger narration, and had the binoculars handy when he announced a grizzly bear sighting.  Throughout the voyage we saw many whales, eagles, seals, and other marine life.  Weather was not an issue for us either and we took way more layers, jackets, gloves, etc than we needed.  

Enjoy your trip no matter what you decide to do 🙂

Edit to add that in this age of covid I would encourage the balcony to avoid the crowds as well.  Too many people pressed together on the open deck railing vs your own private space.

I'm hearing so much about Glacier Bay that maybe we need to switch itineraries. I'm glad to hear you saw wildlife from your balcony! Sounds like you had a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crystabel said:

IMO, for first time Alaska cruisers, Glacier Bay is a must. We’ve been there several times, and it never gets old. Going in September and October, weather wise, is always uncertain. One year the weather was glorious, but on the next cruise (same month), it was cold and rainy. Either way, you will not be disappointed. 

We are meeting up for lunch with others to discuss this cruise and I will mention that Glacier Bay is a must! I keep hearing about it from others too. Thank you for the information!

2 hours ago, skynight said:

Discovery only has a few ocean view cabins. It isn't like the Grand Class ships where deck 5 & deck 8 have ocean view cabins. The Discovery has obstructed view balcony cabins on deck 8. Most of these do not have much of an obstructed view. Balcony cabins have the advantage of a full wall window/sliding door. For scenic viewing the upper open decks are best no matter which ship you book.

Weather is always a gamble. Just be prepared for whatever. Bring a rain jacket and layered clothing,

That's probably why the OV are sold out! Been on Grand and loved her. Thank you for your reply!

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

As far as the weather is concerned...there are NO guarantees!  I know that's not what you want to hear.  Our first sailing (August 2019) they were literally having a heat wave.  It was in the mid 70s the whole time.  Even the locals were commenting on how crazy it was. 

Our second sailing was just this past year, and we had some really dreary days with one day it actually drizzling rain.  It wasn't much but it was a stark difference from our first trip.  Still...Alaska is amazing.  At the end of our first trip we knew right away that we would be going back.  

There are 2 main itineraries; Glacier Bay and Endicott Arm.  Most people say that GB is the one to see...we did Endicott Arm (with Dawes Glacier) on the first trip.  There are no words!  You should enjoy either and you may even decide to go back and do the other like we did.  Have a great trip!

I think we will shoot for August.  I wish this itinerary had GB but happy to hear you also enjoyed Endicott Arm! I will need to go shopping for some warmer clothing either way, LOL.

2 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Questions:

1. Which month would you choose for the best weather while viewing wildlife? August or September (also keeping in mind that one brother wants to see bears catching Salmon)  I have sailed to Alaska in August and September and had both extremes in weather.  in August of 2021 it was cold and rainy and I was not in the mood to go out and explore in the cold at all so I stayed on the ship.  Covid was also a factor for me to stay on the ship.  On our September sailing back in 2018 it was one of the driest periods they had experienced and we had amazing weather so we got a little spoiled.  However, there were really no waterfalls because they had gone so many days without rain at that time that they had dried up.  I think Alaska is a place where you should plan for wet, cold weather. 

2. Is there much to see from your Balcony to make it worth the cost of it, verses an Inside Cabin? (only a few Ocean View left on some sailings)  I have actually never had a balcony cabin.  On our first we had a window suite on the Grand Princess that was amazing.  I highly recommend.  There are so many places to be viewing from the ship you don't need a balcony.  A window is nice though.

3. Is there a reason you would choose a different itinerary than this one?  First time we sailed out of SF and that was my favorite.  I love sea days.  I also loved the inside passage portion of the sailing and had no idea we would be so close to land all of the time.  If you are adventurous, try an itinerary that makes a stop at icy strait point.  It has a zip line that is pretty fantastic!  But not to be missed is Glacier Bay!  Breathtaking!

I think after reading these reviews we have decided on August and a Balcony cabin! I really appreciate all the information here. It sounds like weather can go either way during the month and we will just have to plan for heat and rain. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

If they need to book interior cabins, check out the midship or mid forward deck 5, which is low and in the middle, less motion. Also very convenient since these are a short 30 second walk to the piazza. 

Thank you! I was worried about front of the ship. I think we will go with balcony mid ship. Thank you!

Bias admitted. I live on Vancouver Island. Many trips in all months. aug is a great call. My best honest advice is Van/ Van trip in order to go up and back between Vancouver island the the mainland. Spectacular sights and very close to the coasts on both sides often. When you leave from Seattle you go immediately out to sea to go past the west coast of the island which is totally out of sight when you head north.  Definitely worth taking a day or two to visit butcharts and Victoria if you can swing it.
At Mendenhall glacier in Juneau there is an elevated woodwalkway near a creek where you are above the animals below. In late   August we watched Mum and Cubs sharing salmon the mother got in the nearby creek. We were 15 feet away, but we’ll above them. You would hear the salmon in the creek splashing water, Mum would hurry down to the creek, grab lunch, bring it back to the kids, and repeat and repeat!. Find this walkway..it is near where the buses let you off. Many people did not take this amazing short walk. 
We do not do balconies in Alaska……too afraid we will miss the wildlife on the other side of the ship! We just keep slowly moving around. Going this year in mid May to see the newborn seals and mums on the ice flows. Have a wonderful trip!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, llarsen said:

It wasn't one of your questions, but doing a day trip from Seattle just for Butchart Gardens doesn't sound ideal. It's possible, by doing a day trip on the Victoria Clipper, but it'll be a very long and expensive day. Just make sure you've done your research before deciding to spend an extra day just for that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, llarsen said:

I think after reading these reviews we have decided on August and a Balcony cabin! I really appreciate all the information here. It sounds like weather can go either way during the month and we will just have to plan for heat and rain. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.

I wouldn't say heat would be a factor.  Sorry if I implied it was warm there! LOL!  It was just pretty dry in one trip vs. the other.  It was still cold.  I think just plan for varying degrees of cold.  Layers and stuff to keep you dry.

• Like 1

We have taken 6 AK cruises.  AK cruises are the best.

Questions:

Three of our cruises have been in September and one was in August. 

It is reasonable to assume that the weather in September will be cooler that August.  As multiple posters have stated, it is impossible to forecast the weather so far in advance.  The biggest storm we have ever encountered on any cruise was on the August cruise.  However, that was in the Gulf of Alaska on a Whittier-to-Vancouver (i.e., southbound, one way) itinerary.  You would not be anywhere near the Gulf of Alaska on your Seattle round trip itinerary.  

Rain is quite common on AK cruises--in any month.  That being said, the one cruise where we did not encounter any rain was in September.  In fact, it was the last cruise of the season for that ship.  Generally, in our experience rain is no big deal.  You do have to be prepared to wear something that will keep you a bit dry on port visits.  This is especially true in Ketchikan which is located in a rain forest.  However, once I was sunburned in Ketchikan in September.  So, go figure.

Regarding wildlife, I really don't think there is much difference between August and September.  Regarding bears, though, on our very first AK cruise the ship's naturalist commented that he could guarantee that anybody could see bears at any of the port stops--just head to the city dump at about five or six o'clock.  OK, I agree he was not being completely serious.  

I know there are various wildlife tours on many of the port stops,   I'm sure that the hope on some of them is to encounter bears.  We did a Bear Search at Icy Strait Point, which, unfortunately, is not on your itinerary.  On this tour we rode a bus for about thirty minutes, disembarked (where we were joined by an armed escort) and walked into the woods to a small river.  Three viewing stations had been erected to allow us to view the river from a safe distance.  At the third of those viewing station we did see a bear, he was clearly hunting, but I could not tell you if it was for salmon--more likely, whatever he could find.

(I just read @muffins response above which was posted while I was composing,  That sounds outstanding.)

In the meantime, pass this link over to your brother--bears feeding at Brooks Falls in the Katmai National Park.  Since it is winter which means it's dark most of the time and, besides, the bears are hibernating, the site is showing a tape.  In the summer, though, they have cameras showing real time images.

https://explore.org/livecams/brown-bears/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

This is one of my favorite AK experiences.  We were pulling away from Ketchikan on the Royal Princess (sister ship to the brand new Discovery Princess),  and I spotted this just outside our balcony

DSCF2548.thumb.JPG.d128665769afbab7bc81e71df454cf2b.JPG

I had never seen that before, but I immediately knew what it was--a whale was "bubble feeding."  I kept my eye on it as best I could while the ship was moving by it.  Since our cabin was at the extreme forward end, we were well past it when the whale popped up,

DSCF2549R40.thumb.jpg.0a4721ff5b837d735f10199b2f050d3a.jpg

DSCF2552.thumb.JPG.2796b82c502efb98edd34e11afe66c19.JPG

Apologies for my pathetic photography.

Mrs. XBGuy insists on balconies.  I might add that we are So Cal neighbors in nearby (relatively) Diamond Bar, and Mrs. XBGuy is a Los Angeles native.  She will bundle herself up and spend significant time on the balcony.  When she gets too cold, she comes into the cabin and warms up,  She will, often, sit inside the closed sliding door continuing her quest for critters.  We have quite a few pictures of whales, dolphins, seals, otters and bald eagles taken from the balcony--no bears, though, or moose. 

I posted this on another thread a few days ago.  If I had to rank our six AK cruises, there would be a six-way tie for first place.  The worst one was wonderful.hough.  Is is "worth it?"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, llarsen said:

He said his only disappointment was not seeing any bears catching Salmon and would like to go in August or September if this would be better timing for this.

August or September (also keeping in mind that one brother wants to see bears catching Salmon)

We did one Alaska cruise in September (last or next to last for the season).

We had lots of rain.

Saw dead salmon all over the banks of a stream. I think the spawning season is pretty much over in September.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, muffin said:

Bias admitted. I live on Vancouver Island. Many trips in all months. aug is a great call. My best honest advice is Van/ Van trip in order to go up and back between Vancouver island the the mainland. Spectacular sights and very close to the coasts on both sides often. When you leave from Seattle you go immediately out to sea to go past the west coast of the island which is totally out of sight when you head north.  Definitely worth taking a day or two to visit butcharts and Victoria if you can swing it.
At Mendenhall glacier in Juneau there is an elevated woodwalkway near a creek where you are above the animals below. In late   August we watched Mum and Cubs sharing salmon the mother got in the nearby creek. We were 15 feet away, but we’ll above them. You would hear the salmon in the creek splashing water, Mum would hurry down to the creek, grab lunch, bring it back to the kids, and repeat and repeat!. Find this walkway..it is near where the buses let you off. Many people did not take this amazing short walk. 
We do not do balconies in Alaska……too afraid we will miss the wildlife on the other side of the ship! We just keep slowly moving around. Going this year in mid May to see the newborn seals and mums on the ice flows. Have a wonderful trip!

Thank you for the advice! I'm hoping we can stay a day or two pre-cruise. Some are flying in from Michigan, so we will for sure want to be there at least one day ahead. Also thank you for the elevated walkway tip! That would be nice to see!

3 hours ago, XBGuy said:

In the meantime, pass this link over to your brother--bears feeding at Brooks Falls in the Katmai National Park.  Since it is winter which means it's dark most of the time and, besides, the bears are hibernating, the site is showing a tape.  In the summer, though, they have cameras showing real time images.

https://explore.org/livecams/brown-bears/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

Wow! Thank you. I think I could sit here and watch this all day. Thanks for the info and sending this link. I will pass it on and I'm sure he will enjoy it too! Thanks!