Cruise on 15th, can’t find test, cancel date?

PGol

Good morning all. 4 of us booked a last minute on the Panorama sailing on 01/15. We had a PCR test scheduled on the morning of 13th, but now are being told results can take 5 days. Looked everywhere to find testing, and found out that none of the PCR tests would guarantee 1-2 day results.  Antigen tests aren’t available anywhere here and it’s tough to swallow the $400 in testing fees at the port.

Question: how close to the sail day/time can we cancel the cruise under the new extended cancellation policy? Thanks in advance! 

• Like 1

You don't have a CVS, Walgreens, Urgent Care, etc on your way to the port or locally where you can make an appointment for a rapid antigen test?  What about the proctored home tests?  They are much less expensive than testing at the port.

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Like 2

I use OnPoint testing.  It's $69.  There are a lot of locations in California.  It quick and easy.  I used them for my cruise in December and I'm using them next week for a cruise.

It's basically impossible to get into CVS, Walgreens etc. in my area.

Edited by linga
  • Like 2

Do you have a local hospital with testing?  We've used ours twice (once for our DEC cruise, and I used it last week as I was showing symptoms).  Both times results were back in less than 9 hours.  And when I used it last week , lines were wrapped around the parking deck that was being used for drive-thru testing (BIG surge here and National Guard has been called in to help).  Only took about 30 minutes start to finish - the staff was rocking that line!!!  Amazing! The lab is on site at the hospital, so the results come back much faster.  Good luck!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, linga said:

I use OnPoint testing.  It's $69.  There are a lot of locations in California.  It quick and easy.  I used them for my cruise in December and I'm using them next week for a cruise.

It's basically impossible to get into CVS, Walgreens etc. in my area.

No antigen testing available for all the pharmacies. I’ll check out on point. Thank you. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Do you have a local hospital with testing?  We've used ours twice (once for our DEC cruise, and I used it last week as I was showing symptoms).  Both times results were back in less than 9 hours.  And when I used it last week , lines were wrapped around the parking deck that was being used for drive-thru testing (BIG surge here and National Guard has been called in to help).  Only took about 30 minutes start to finish - the staff was rocking that line!!!  Amazing! The lab is on site at the hospital, so the results come back much faster.  Good luck!!

We are scheduled for testing with our local hospital/HMO provider and are hoping to get results in time, however, they updated the turn around to “up to 5 days”

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

You don't have a CVS, Walgreens, Urgent Care, etc on your way to the port or locally where you can make an appointment for a rapid antigen test?  What about the proctored home tests?  They are much less expensive than testing at the port.

Thanks for the reply. The locals are not available at all. The proctored ones won’t ship on time and aren’t available I stores. 😞

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PGol said:

Thanks for the reply. The locals are not available at all. The proctored ones won’t ship on time and aren’t available I stores. 😞

I'd take the test and if you don't get the results back by the 14th, I'd cancel and go at a later date.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChutChut said:

I'd take the test and if you don't get the results back by the 14th, I'd cancel and go at a later date.

That's a strategy that can work. And I'd even take it further and say take two tests. With my Mardi Gras cruise CVS said they didn't have an rapid so they gave me a PCR but I also took a PCR at walmart. My Walmart one came back in less than two days. CVS came in on the second day of the cruise.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Is the ID NOW test available at walgreens? Says it takes a day but it's been 20-30mins for me. I made same day appointments there my last two cruises.

Actually your walgreens don't have the tests. That's bad. Even Los Angeles doesn't have it. I hope it doesn't get that way here.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice guys. We’ll take two tests and hope for the best. It’s nuts that one of the largest metro areas in US doesn’t have any antigen tests readily available. 

• Like 1

Have you tried your regular doctor's office?  We've had some good luck with that fairly recently with same day results.  Also I agree with checking with your roll call, or even the following for other locals who might have a spare.  We got our eMed tests the second day, but I know that's not everyone's experience--perhaps you could order now and "swap" with someone on a later sail date? 

• Like 1

Los Angeles resident here. We have covid testing everywhere. All free with insurance. I personally go to https://www.doctornow.net/ in Beverly Hills because they bill the insurance directly, so I don't have to worry about trying to get reimbursed. Rapid antigen is 20 mins and pcr is usually next day. I am going on the Radiance this Friday and did my testing this morning already.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, PGol said:

Good morning all. 4 of us booked a last minute on the Panorama sailing on 01/15. We had a PCR test scheduled on the morning of 13th, but now are being told results can take 5 days. Looked everywhere to find testing, and found out that none of the PCR tests would guarantee 1-2 day results.  Antigen tests aren’t available anywhere here and it’s tough to swallow the $400 in testing fees at the port.

Question: how close to the sail day/time can we cancel the cruise under the new extended cancellation policy? Thanks in advance! 

Every single walk in clinic within a say 40 mile radius is out of antigen tests?  That is awfully hard to believe unless you live in the ultimate boondocks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laurierocs said:

Help! I don't understand all this abbreviation talk! PCR, rapid test antigen, proctor??? Which test do I need to get on the ship?

PCR is no good since you can't get the results back in time.  That leaves you with a rapid test, which can be found at some CVS, Walgreens or Rite Aids or an online do it yourself proctored test that you purchase online and do it with a proctor who is located in India or some center around the world.

If you need more specific answers to go on Carnival's website

• Like 1

The turnaround time for most test cuts it way to close...you have to be tested 48 hours before sailing.

I've used the online proctored BiNax E Med kits twice now and it removes that stress.  I order from the Optum online store, and usually have the kits in 3 days or less.  I recommend getting more kits that you need as sometimes there can be issues with the test.  I still have 1 kit here in case I need it.

The testing process itself is pretty easy.  The proctor walks you through each step, then you wait 15 minutes for your results.  They e mail you the results.  You can print or show in the Navica app on your phone.

• Like 1