Premium Gin prices on Spirit of Adventure

Holidayfun141

If SAGA are now all inclusive could someone please let me know exactly what brands are available in the package as I would never call Beefeater or Gordons Gin or Bells or Grouse  whisky premium brands. We will be on our first SAGA Cruise for Christmas and New Year on SOA and was looking forward to an experience similar toy Silversea or Regent. Thanks.

42 minutes ago, ARDXXX said:

If SAGA are now all inclusive could someone please let me know exactly what brands are available in the package as I would never call Beefeater or Gordons Gin or Bells or Grouse  whisky premium brands. We will be on our first SAGA Cruise for Christmas and New Year on SOA and was looking forward to an experience similar toy Silversea or Regent. Thanks.

Neither would I. To me whiskeys like Bells and Famous Grouse are just standard brands, I regard the likes of Monkey Shoulder, Chivas Regal, Johnny Walker Black Label, and single malts as premium. Similarly as regards gin, I would not regard the likes of Gordons and Beefeater as premium. If Saga regard these as premium, I hate to think what they offer as all inclusive.

Edited by Denarius

The included spirits - gin, whiskey, vodka, rum and brandy are "house" spirits.

We were on Discovery for Xmas and I found the gin acceptable with tonic however my husband thought the whiskey could be anything! We found the included wines to be very good and if you found one you particularly like you could ask for it every time.

• Like 1

I completely agree , Bells , Grouse are standard, I would hope the included whisky is up to that level or it must be rough. I use standard whisky when I have it with dry ginger, so hope included suffices.

£2.50 isnt bad for a Glenlivet say.  is it a single or double?. 

However as our cruise will be in hot climates, tend to drink whisky with dry ginger , or other spirits in cocktails , house brand should be fine.

I just hope Saga don't penny pinch with quality of house drinks including wine, Saga are not cheap, I don't think many Saga's clients are the " it's all inclusive so drink yourself silly " type.  So Saga should aim for quality not quantity. It's not an 18 - 30s booze cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

To be fair, Saga is not in the same price bracket as those two lines, so you may need to temper your expectations. 

Saga is cheaper than Silversea, but not that much cheaper than Regent. But the point I think was being made was the same as mine, Saga's not a cheap and cheerful all inclusive ship. So we expect good quality. 

Thank you for some interesting replies. SAGA has really increased their prices with the launch of their new ships, and with this they have raised the expectations of their target group. Regarding the all-inclusive drinks I feel that there needs to be a big improvement in the drinks quality and choice. This is incorporated in the price for the other "Premium" cruise lines. The add on prices for named brands are very cheap but apart from the very expensive brands eg XO cognac or some high priced malt whiskies or expensive wines, that most of the listed ones should be included. They have raised the bar in some ways but not in this. We have Cruised with many lines and even Marella have a more comprehensive choice of branded drinks included than this, probably Fred Olsen are the only line with poor quality drinks offered. Cheers!

43 minutes ago, ARDXXX said:

SAGA has really increased their prices with the launch of their new ships, and with this they have raised the expectations of their target group

To be fair, you need to compare like-for-like. Cruises on Saga's previous ships could be cheaper per person per night, but some cabins were interior ones, and most were without balconies. We used to get a balcony cabin on the Saga Sapphire and it cost more per night than a standard cabin now does on the SofA or SofD. 

What an interesting thread. To be honest, we have yet to sail on Saga but have been following, as there is much that appeals. In all honesty, to us, the inclusive drink options, excluding the wines ,which seem to be quite acceptable, is the weakest part of the branding, compared to even the mainstream lines, let alone the luxury ones. Sure, one can pay more but it feels so much better to have it included in the upfront fare. Our current cruise line of choice is Crystal but we recently experienced Celebrity where, for a flat approx $8 per person per day all premium brands, upgraded wines, french champagne, premium beers etc all became freely available. Hopefully Saga will eventually respond and correct this obvious weakness.

3 hours ago, ARDXXX said:

Thank you for some interesting replies. SAGA has really increased their prices with the launch of their new ships, and with this they have raised the expectations of their target group. Regarding the all-inclusive drinks I feel that there needs to be a big improvement in the drinks quality and choice. This is incorporated in the price for the other "Premium" cruise lines. The add on prices for named brands are very cheap but apart from the very expensive brands eg XO cognac or some high priced malt whiskies or expensive wines, that most of the listed ones should be included. They have raised the bar in some ways but not in this. We have Cruised with many lines and even Marella have a more comprehensive choice of branded drinks included than this, probably Fred Olsen are the only line with poor quality drinks offered. Cheers!

I completely agree.

I have my first Saga cruise coming up in May, the black sea. Chosen because it is out of UK and an very interesting intinerary. In my mind Saga is towards premium end pricing. At launch a standard cabin was over £400 a night , a suite just under £900 a night. Not cheap. People,  me included , who pay that sort of price expect  better than plonk, I hope Saga understand that. It would be a shame to ruin a good ship by penny pinching on inclusive drinks 

I hope the house brands are fine with mixers and in cocktails. They should be , that's not a high hurdle. Luckily people say inclusive wine are quite good. The premium wines look good value, so if I have too will buy those rather than spoil a holiday. 

Fingers crossed ,  hopefully it will make me want to becomea saga regular. But won't book a second cruise until experienced Saga for myself

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting to read all this.

We are travelling on our first Saga cruise in April - a 5 nighter to see what it's like.  We have travelled on P&O, Hebridean, Princess, Cunard and Seabourn previously.

Having the ships now all-inclusive appealed to us having experienced it on Seabourn.

I was also surprised to see brands like Gordons, Beefeater, etc included as 'Premium'. These are every day level gins to me, but there you go.

Could someone tell me what the house Champagne is and also do they stock Green Creme de Menthe?

Many thanks.  🙂

CP

For those who like a pre-lunch sherry, the included ones are very good - Tio Pepe for fino, Crofts for pale sweet and Bristol cream for very sweet.  I was also pleasantly surprised to have Campari included, which with Saga gin and Martini Rosso makes an acceptable Negroni - although one or two bar staff were obviously slightly put out at serving this, as a fairly expensive drink, so I mostly made do with Campari and soda.  The whisky and brandy would be pretty awful on their own, but in coffee, say, acceptable.  The wines are about the standard served on Seabourn and Regent, but with less choice.  Saga do not pretend to be luxury class, like Seabourn, Silversea and Regent, and certainly the choice of spirits is not as good, but do usually cost less per day than the luxury lines.  (And don't forget the included insurance and travel to the port).