Lobster at The Porch

willb125

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

It was open every day for lunch and in the evenings on our September staycation cruise on Silhouette. I don’t know if this is standard or cruise specific.  I honestly can’t remember when it was open on our Reflection cruise a few years ago…

We found it a great option on sea days particularly. We would enjoy a swim in the Solarium, drip dry to the sunset bar and then head to the Porch for a light lunch. 

It seems to be a bit of a ‘Marmite’ restaurant….Either you love it or hate it….We are on the side of the ‘love it’. Whilst the menu isn’t big or very innovative it does offer the sort of items we enjoy at lunchtime, tasty but not heavy. It also offers a calm, quiet oasis on days when the buffet may be busy.

No information to offer re evening dining we have always seen it as a lunchtime venue.

I am very interested in the lunch option.  What would be the cost and is it available in one of the specialty dine packages?

32 minutes ago, Momma Rene said:

I am very interested in the lunch option.  What would be the cost and is it available in one of the specialty dine packages?

I think it was $25 for lunch but I hope someone can confirm as I am not sure (we had it included with our room).

They were quiet on our cruise at lunchtime and I think offers were available. As I think the other restaurants are usually more expensive it probably would make more sense to use a dining package for them then do some negotiating once on board for the Porch at lunch…

On 1/14/2022 at 8:13 AM, TeeRick said:

The warm water or spiny "lobsters" served on ships are not actually real lobsters but are large crayfish.  Real cold water lobsters like Maine lobster have claws.

The things that we call "crawfish" around here have some rather significant claws and look rather similar to true lobsters (although I know full well that they are not lobsters).  They are freshwater, though.

There are some parts of the world where they call spiny lobster "crayfish" or even "crawfish," but not around here.

18 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Not in all venues. Dined on Apex Eden restaurant and had the lobster tower, and it was definitely cold-water lobster with a huge claw on top of the piled-on lobster. Fantastic. And I can tell the difference, being a Floridian and having snorkeled for langusta (the warm-water ‘Spiny lobster’ being referred to here), and dined on every version of true cold-water NE/Canadian lobster in any form I can get it.  

Since we are talking about seafood:

Also had the Crabcakes in Edge Restaurant. I use to say ‘don’t have crabcakes outside of Maryland around the Chesapeake’, but the Edge restaurant’s was all crab with yogurt as the binder. Best I’ve had……anywhere. 

And the Raw On 5 had a Salmon poke to die for. 

Den

I had the Surf & Turf in the Fine Cut on Edge a couple of years ago. It was definitely Maine lobster and it was on the menu as such.

17 hours ago, chemmo said:

I think it was $25 for lunch but I hope someone can confirm as I am not sure (we had it included with our room).

They were quiet on our cruise at lunchtime and I think offers were available. As I think the other restaurants are usually more expensive it probably would make more sense to use a dining package for them then do some negotiating once on board for the Porch at lunch…

We have five port days and we usually get off the ship, however, with this sailing, I believe we will be staying on the wonderfully quiet ship.  I know the last time we had lunches on port days on the ship, I was looking for anything except a hamburger.  It will be good to try the Porch for lunch.  

On 1/14/2022 at 9:13 AM, TeeRick said:

The warm water or spiny "lobsters" served on ships are not actually real lobsters but are large crayfish.  Real cold water lobsters like Maine lobster have claws.  This has been discussed here on CC many times.  Personally I do not eat crayfish or crawfish.

You’re missing out on the crawfish…some good eats all a long the gulf coast region. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

On 1/16/2022 at 9:05 AM, awhfy said:

And we thought it was great. We don’t eat mussels or clams & they substituted with more scallops & shrimp

That's good to hear - we'd probably ask for the exact same thing!

Is there an upcharge for this?

Tom

2 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

That's good to hear - we'd probably ask for the exact same thing!

Is there an upcharge for this?

Tom

The seafood tower shows a $15 upcharge. I believe it is for two people.

• Thanks 1

And I think we understand where to get true lobster and where to get spiny ‘lobster’/saltwater craw’s. Personally, I enjoy both, just as I enjoy a nice Cod and then an even better Gulf Triggerfish….different tastes.

Quick Florida ‘Lobster’ story for those with lots of time to kill on a cold Sunday (it was 28 this morning on the Fla Panhandle!!):

I was stationed in the Fla Keys and loved the fishing and snorkeling for seafood. Decided to get some ‘lobsters’ so went snorkeling with a hand net but even though the sandy bottom had many lobsters hanging around, I couldn’t catch the darn things - too quick and too smarty, zipping away. Mentioned my frustration to a local. He took me out in his skiff. Gave me a straightened out clothes hanger and net. Put the net well behind the lobster, placed the handler in front of it and they zipped backwards into the net. Must of captured our limit in just minutes……Fun!

den

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 6:23 PM, asnaleah said:

The seafood tower shows a $15 upcharge. I believe it is for two people.

Yes there is an upcharge now for the seafood tower, $15 for 2 people. In my opinion it makes The Porch at $35 a person not worth it. Unless you really want a lobster roll I wouldn't waste my money there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 3:10 PM, erniesband said:

Yes there is an upcharge now for the seafood tower, $15 for 2 people. In my opinion it makes The Porch at $35 a person not worth it. Unless you really want a lobster roll I wouldn't waste my money there.

This is kind of a bummer. I'm going to be on Silhouette and was looking forward to trying it. Will be traveling solo and the notion of it being included (made to a portion for one) was nice.

52 minutes ago, sherylc said:

For those that have the specialty dining included in their suites (RS and above), do they charge additionally for the seafood tower?

We were not charged for it. However, we were charged extra in Tuscan for the better steaks.

I don’t know for definite if The Porch simply ignored the up charge on our visit or if it is a general rule you don’t pay extra. It would be interesting to see if others have had the same experience.

13 hours ago, sherylc said:

For those that have the specialty dining included in their suites (RS and above), do they charge additionally for the seafood tower?

I've been reading conflicting reports on that - so not sure what to expect really.

Last week I did ask the shoreside concierge the following question:

Regarding items such as seafood towers or prime aged beef (Tuscan Grille) - are those at an additional charge (not included in our unlimited specialty dining)?

Here was her reply (to that, and a couple of other things):

To answer your questions, all dining venues are open at 6 pm for dinner. The Porch is close to Lawn Club Grill on deck 15, any reservations for that venue has to be done while onboard.  All items on the specialty restaurant menus will be covered under the complimentary dining for your Royal Suite.

So.. I guess I'll find out (first hand) in about 3 weeks. 🙂

Tom

3 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I've been reading conflicting reports on that - so not sure what to expect really.

Last week I did ask the shoreside concierge the following question:

Regarding items such as seafood towers or prime aged beef (Tuscan Grille) - are those at an additional charge (not included in our unlimited specialty dining)?

Here was her reply (to that, and a couple of other things):

To answer your questions, all dining venues are open at 6 pm for dinner. The Porch is close to Lawn Club Grill on deck 15, any reservations for that venue has to be done while onboard.  All items on the specialty restaurant menus will be covered under the complimentary dining for your Royal Suite.

So.. I guess I'll find out (first hand) in about 3 weeks. 🙂

Tom

Let us know!

• Like 1