COVID Positive Crew Transferred to Another RCL Ship

miaminative0853

7 hours ago, jelayne said:

I respect your  knowledge and your contributions to these discussions. Each of us has to do what we feel reasonably comfortable doing.  We are at the point where we  take reasonable precautions but we won’t go into hibernation again.  Hopefully we have another 10 yrs of travel , but realistically it is closer to 6-7 yrs if we are lucky. We think most of us will get omicron , we just hope it doesn’t strike on a ship but if it does we have thought about what we will do.

Hoping we will meet on a post pandemic cruise.

I am very eager to cruise again soon.  I am personally not going to consider it for the remainder of the Omicron surge.  That is all I am saying - my personal plan.  I am not afraid of becoming ill with COVID after 2 doses plus booster.  But I would be extremely annoyed if I ignored all the signs of what is going on with cruise ships right now and I spent a lot of money to travel and cruise - then tested positive on ship and got isolated. It is on every ship right now.  And in every port. Just being realistic that there is now a much higher chance of testing positive than a month ago.   I am retired so I can just wait out the surge and cruise later.  No hibernation for us - just a strategy change.  We are taking land vacations over the next two months.  If I test positive I can control my own destiny.  Omicron will not last much longer and will rapidly dissipate.  But cruise ships are forced to treat positive tests in this isolation/quarantine way even now in a time where just about everybody has Omicron anyway.  Land and sea. So it will take a long time to become more reasonable in the endemic COVID world coming soon.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Respectfully....is there a cut off date when we shouldn't travel again?  :classic_unsure:  Realistically, yes...but hopefully as long as I can get in a car, fly on a plane, cruise on any 'boat'.....masked, vaxxed, and keeping social distance.......I'll keep on booking my cruises and hope they'll stop being cancelled.....age be dam*ed.  

To clarify the above....I'll keep booking but not sailing until we're a little more comfortable with the virus spread calming down.  We and X cancelled so many  great destinations  (as did most of us)...looking forward to Nov. '22 with optimism.  Not comfortable with land vaca's either....hotels, dining, all aspects of exposure.  Limited 'hibernation' due to educated caution and common sense is not a bad thing for us for now.  By the summer we hope there'll be a greater response to vaxxing in most parts of the world which presumably will lower the affected numbers.  🤞

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Land and sea. So it will take a long time to become more reasonable in the endemic COVID world coming soon.

I am surprised that the CDC hasn't declared it as an endemic at this point. The 5 day quarantine with no test is a step in that direction. I am curious when the cruise ships will adopt the 5 day quarantine? Omicron sounds to me like the common cold coronavirus especially for boosted individuals than say delta and the other strains. It just took way longer to get to this point than I hoped it would, way more contagious but less virulent.

We chose to cruise in February and this is the first time during the pandemic that we will have flown, only vacations we did were staying at a cabin on a lake where we were isolated:). We are mitigating our risks as much as possible. Also with the numbers already trending down a touch I am hoping February will be ok. 

As for the quarantine ships I think it is a good idea as long as they are taking proper care of the crew. From what I have heard about the RCG group gives me hope that is true. It really is no different than quarantining on land in a hotel, it just gives some like a certain cruise lawyer to point to and say this is a bad thing.

51 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I am surprised that the CDC hasn't declared it as an endemic at this point. The 5 day quarantine with no test is a step in that direction. I am curious when the cruise ships will adopt the 5 day quarantine? Omicron sounds to me like the common cold coronavirus especially for boosted individuals than say delta and the other strains. It just took way longer to get to this point than I hoped it would, way more contagious but less virulent.

We chose to cruise in February and this is the first time during the pandemic that we will have flown, only vacations we did were staying at a cabin on a lake where we were isolated:). We are mitigating our risks as much as possible. Also with the numbers already trending down a touch I am hoping February will be ok. 

As for the quarantine ships I think it is a good idea as long as they are taking proper care of the crew. From what I have heard about the RCG group gives me hope that is true. It really is no different than quarantining on land in a hotel, it just gives some like a certain cruise lawyer to point to and say this is a bad thing.

Love your perspective!  

We did two Alaska sailings in August and a 10-day Holiday sailing on Holland. Looking forward to our Feb and April cruises.

1 hour ago, cgolf1 said:

I think soon after Omicron is over the endemic phase is upon us.  It is possible that cruising sometime in February will be much less risk of exposure on ship or in travels.  Fingers crossed!  I think the WHO declares when the pandemic is over.  Maybe the CDC identifies criteria for endemic in the US, and states and regions slowly get there.  And hopefully stay there.  IMO Omicron burning rapidly through the population and exposing just about everybody is doing what vaccines could not do in the resistant or hesitant population.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I think soon after Omicron is over the endemic phase is upon us.  It is possible that cruising sometime in February will be much less risk of exposure on ship or in travels.  Fingers crossed!  I think the WHO declares when the pandemic is over.  Maybe the CDC identifies criteria for endemic in the US, and states and regions slowly get there.  And hopefully stay there.  IMO Omicron burning rapidly through the population and exposing just about everybody is doing what vaccines could not do in the resistant or hesitant population.

Except that supposedly infection with Delta did NOT provide protection against getting Omicron.

(I still hope you're right - just skeptical after almost 2 years of hoping this thing was ending)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chamima said:

Except that supposedly infection with Delta did NOT provide protection against getting Omicron.

(I still hope you're right - just skeptical after almost 2 years of hoping this thing was ending)

I hope I am right too but totally understand your skepticism.  The difference is that Delta did not infect everybody (like Omicron has) and hit a lot of non-vaccinated folks pretty hard.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Covid will be endemic once they announce the Omega variant. 😛

Sorry couldn't resist injecting a bad "dad" type joke. Hopefully you are right and Omicron does usher in the endemic phase.

6 minutes ago, cdn_tbird said:

Covid will be endemic once they announce the Omega variant. 😛

Sorry couldn't resist injecting a bad "dad" type joke. Hopefully you are right and Omicron does usher in the endemic phase.

Very good! 😀  Yeah but what happens when they run out of names of hurricanes after they use the last name?  They start another naming strategy.  Lets hope we never get to an Omega variant!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I almost completely agree with you TeeRick. So far I’ve not seen any solid evidence that previous infection alone provides enough immunity to prevent hospitalization and death. And that may be hard to find out because no one wants to encourage people to not get vaccinated, because vaccination is still the way out.

• Like 2

I’ve just got back from the Caribbean on a P&O ship. The Cunard Queen Victoria was following the 2 P&O ships around to hold any ill crew from each ship. We saw the transfer via tender and the crew in charge were in full PPE.

We also spoke to a passenger over FB who was transferred to the ship. She tested positive and was sent to the ship until the next flight. (The P&O cruises run Sat-Sat with charter flights everyone uses to Barbados). 

I think it’s a great idea. Better than being dumped on a Caribbean island in some quarantine hotel. 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:31 AM, TeeRick said:

Just one thing after another that screams out to me not to even consider cruising until Omicron subsides.  But hopefully that will be soon by all current predictions.

Unfortunately the next variant will surface after Omicron. 

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I just read this. Sorry to be a Debby Downer.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/eye-on-the-pi-scientists-warn-of-potential-for-problematic-variants-after-omicron/

"Epidemiologist says ‘the faster Omicron spreads, the more opportunities there are for mutation’ that could lead to the emergence of new strains.

Experts say the virus won’t become endemic like the flu as long as global vaccination rates are so low. During a recent press conference, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that protecting people from future variants — including those that may be fully resistant to today’s shots — depends on ending global vaccine inequity."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chamima said:

I just read this. Sorry to be a Debby Downer.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/eye-on-the-pi-scientists-warn-of-potential-for-problematic-variants-after-omicron/

"Epidemiologist says ‘the faster Omicron spreads, the more opportunities there are for mutation’ that could lead to the emergence of new strains.

Experts say the virus won’t become endemic like the flu as long as global vaccination rates are so low. During a recent press conference, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that protecting people from future variants — including those that may be fully resistant to today’s shots — depends on ending global vaccine inequity."

Fingers crossed for sure.

14 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

You have my investigative attention now....who is he and how are you in the 'know'?

Huh? What are you implying.  I can read and have reading him on here for the better part of 2 years regarding Covid,.  I think my husband met him on an early Edge cruise and pointed him out one night,

18 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I am not afraid of becoming ill with COVID after 2 doses plus booster.  But I would be extremely annoyed if I ignored all the signs of what is going on with cruise ships right now and I spent a lot of money to travel and cruise - then tested positive on ship and got isolated. It is on every ship right now.  

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

16 hours ago, TeeRick said:

The difference is that Delta did not infect everybody (like Omicron has) and hit a lot of non-vaccinated folks pretty hard.

In the UK, the COVID wards in hospitals, are full of the unvaccinated.

Fortunately, the reported daily rates are no longer rising, but levelling off.🙏

17 hours ago, Beeeeeford said:

Unfortunately the next variant will surface after Omicron. 

There will continue to be variants. That is the nature of viruses, particularly RNA viruses. Many have surfaced as you say, and many are to come.  But how bad will they be?  That is the question.    Just keep one thought in mind.  In 2020 the entire world population was naïve  to the SARS-CoV-2 virus.   Now in 2022 a substantial portion of the world population has "seen" it from an immunological perspective and with many variants.  And vaccines.  And now anti-viral drugs.  A highly infectious milder strain just rapidly out-competed an infectious, more disease-causing strain.  I am saying that all bodes well going forward for us humans and us cruisers.  I am keeping my chin up!

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 1