Zuiderdam Barred from Half Moon Cay

Btimmer

We were scheduled to stop at Half Moon Cay a few minutes ago, but the Captain just announced that the Bahamian authorities unexpectedly  changed the threshold level and barred the Zuiderdam from allowing passengers from visiting HAL's private island.  He sounded very surprised and disappointed about the news. I'll comment further on my regular ongoing Almost Live thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Just now, Oceansaway17 said:

I still do not understand why any ship cannot go to their own island.   The Bahamas seem to look the other way if ya want to go to Nassau.   Just crazy I say

Because there are locals that you might interact with on HMC. I am sure Zuiderdam would not be able to stop at any other port in the Bahamas due to the number of positives. Rotterdam doesn't have any positives...they are visiting HMC today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Because there are locals that you might interact with on HMC. I am sure Zuiderdam would not be able to stop at any other port in the Bahamas due to the number of positives. Rotterdam doesn't have any positives...they are visiting HMC today.

Eurodam has very few.

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I still do not understand why any ship cannot go to their own island.   The Bahamas seem to look the other way if ya want to go to Nassau.   Just crazy I say

HMC may be 'owned' by Carnival -- just as some islands are privately owned in U.S. territorial waters -- but Bahamas remains the sovereign authority. As such, Bahamian law trumps the real or imagined entitlements of cruise clients many of whom, I assume, would not advocate foreigners being allowed entry without inspection or conditions into the United States just because the holding company of the ship they were aboard had purchased an island.

Edited by voyageur9
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

My family sailed on the Nieuw Statendam on January 2nd to January 12th. Our last stop on January 11th was in Half Moon Cay. We arrived on time and visited the island. The only problem was all excursions on the island were canceled and all island employees scheduled to work that day were banned by the Bahamian Government from visiting the island. We arrived on schedule at approximately 8:00AM and left on time at 3:00PM

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Agree with "their country, their rules" but wonder why the Bahamians would not allow HAL to operate HMC with no Bahamians present during ship time?  

There are actually Bahamians working on the island.  They are ferried to & from Eleuthera Island each day.

Edited by Btimmer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Agree with "their country, their rules" but wonder why the Bahamians would not allow HAL to operate HMC with no Bahamians present during ship time?

8 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

There are actually Bahamians working on the island.  They are ferried to & from Eleuthera Iskand each day.

I am guessing the following post was the reason for the question.  I have no idea as to the reason for the Bahamian decision.  We visited on Jan 6 (Eurodam), with no issues.

3 hours ago, Corby114 said:

My family sailed on the Nieuw Statendam on January 2nd to January 12th. Our last stop on January 11th was in Half Moon Cay. We arrived on time and visited the island. The only problem was all excursions on the island were canceled and all island employees scheduled to work that day were banned by the Bahamian Government from visiting the island. We arrived on schedule at approximately 8:00AM and left on time at 3:00PM

Edited by Jersey42