Mask Policy

need2vaca

This is the New York City chart. We’re already heading in the right direction. Once that line gets below the heavy transmission line is probably around when things will loosen back up again nationwide and including the cruise lines. Middle to end of February maybe?

FB0BAFDA-3667-482D-8440-5AFE03AEE822.jpeg

Edited by psac
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, need2vaca said:

Looking at a cruise out of NYC in March.

Does anyone have a clue how long the new mask policy will be in effect?

I REFUSE to wear one sitting by the pool

You're in luck!!!!! You don't have to wear a mask sitting by the pool.  

However, you may want a winter coat, gloves and a hat to sit by the pool in NY in March. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 12

For sailings with embarkation dates through and including January 31, 2022, all guests and crew are required to wear masks onboard while indoors, except when actively eating or drinking, or seated at a table in a dining setting, or when in their stateroom. Masks are also required outdoors when physical distancing of at least six (6) feet cannot be maintained.

as far as this read right now, mask must be worn up until 1/31. Haven’t seen anything to the contrary.

but I am sure it will change. 
we are sailing 1/29 7 days, so by this we shouldn’t have to wear a mask on 2/1

12 minutes ago, usahawk1 said:

For sailings with embarkation dates through and including January 31, 2022, all guests and crew are required to wear masks onboard while indoors, except when actively eating or drinking, or seated at a table in a dining setting, or when in their stateroom. Masks are also required outdoors when physical distancing of at least six (6) feet cannot be maintained.

as far as this read right now, mask must be worn up until 1/31. Haven’t seen anything to the contrary.

but I am sure it will change. 
we are sailing 1/29 7 days, so by this we shouldn’t have to wear a mask on 2/1

That date was just an initial number picked to check things now.  That date can, and probably will be extended several times until the virus is contained considerably.   I'm very sure, crystal ball, that on 2/1 you will definitely be wearing a mask.  That's only two weeks from now.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, need2vaca said:

Looking at a cruise out of NYC in March.

Does anyone have a clue how long the new mask policy will be in effect?

I REFUSE to wear one sitting by the pool

For sailings out of NYC for the next few months, mask should be required. Am i the only one that loves  wearing a mask because it keeps your face warm from the cold weather? Sailing out of NYC for the next few months, the weather will be cold

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's all technically speculation, but I know there are probably a lot of frequent cruisers or travel agents on this forum who may know - do we think the mask restrictions are going to be gone by mid-March? Covid cases are rapidly on the decline (especially here in Florida where I'd be sailing from), and I'm wondering if NCL (and Royal Caribbean if anyone knows about that one, too) will be relaxing their mask policies soon?

Or - follow up question - if I just .... didn't wear a mask, am I going to get yelled at often (on either NCL or RC)? I am double vaccinated and also just had covid a month ago, so I no longer want to wear a mask (nor do I think they're working on cruise ships). I'm willing to wear one in the terminal and in the tight hallways, but I'm not going to be putting it back on every time I have to go to the inside bar for another drink or walk to the bathroom from the dinner table. I loved that NCL had previously not required masks, but then Omicron happened and now I'm wondering how things are actually being handled. 

4 minutes ago, MsPAtSea said:

I know it's all technically speculation, but I know there are probably a lot of frequent cruisers or travel agents on this forum who may know - do we think the mask restrictions are going to be gone by mid-March? Covid cases are rapidly on the decline (especially here in Florida where I'd be sailing from), and I'm wondering if NCL (and Royal Caribbean if anyone knows about that one, too) will be relaxing their mask policies soon?

Or - follow up question - if I just .... didn't wear a mask, am I going to get yelled at often (on either NCL or RC)? I am double vaccinated and also just had covid a month ago, so I no longer want to wear a mask (nor do I think they're working on cruise ships). I'm willing to wear one in the terminal and in the tight hallways, but I'm not going to be putting it back on every time I have to go to the inside bar for another drink or walk to the bathroom from the dinner table. I loved that NCL had previously not required masks, but then Omicron happened and now I'm wondering how things are actually being handled. 

Not being snarky, but, if the rules are you wear it, will you wear it? 

On the RCI CC they have a thread that indicates RCI will require Masks until April 14.

If you don't wear your mask as required, print out that you have had the booster, Covid a month ago, etc. and wear that. I am joking!!!!!  LOL

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MsPAtSea said:

I know it's all technically speculation, but I know there are probably a lot of frequent cruisers or travel agents on this forum who may know - do we think the mask restrictions are going to be gone by mid-March?

That's only six weeks away and since I can guess as well as anyone, I say NO!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MsPAtSea said:

if I just .... didn't wear a mask, am I going to get yelled at often (on either NCL or RC)?

What could the cruise line do? You signed a contract that says the following. And there will be plenty "mask police" amongst your fellow passengers who will go out of their way to make sure the crew know any time you violate the protocols. 

(d) Mandatory Compliance with COVID-19 Policies and Procedures. Notwithstanding any other provision contained herein or in Carrier’s refund policy, any noncompliance by Guest or members of Guest’s travelling party with Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Contract shall be grounds for refusal to board, refusal to re-board after going ashore, quarantine onboard the Vessel, disembarkation, reporting to governmental or health authorities, or other steps deemed necessary in Carrier’s sole discretion under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these circumstances, Guest shall not be entitled to a refund or compensation of any kind. Guest will be responsible for all related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expenses and for proper travel documentation for any port, or for departure from or arrival to the U.S. Under no circumstances shall Carrier be liable for any damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by any Guest as a result of such denial of boarding, refusal to re-board, quarantine, disembarkation, or other steps taken by Carrier.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MsPAtSea said:

I haven't sailed NCL since they implemented their mask policy, but I did just come back from a celebrity sailing last weekend. Celebrity was the very last major cruise line to implement a mask policy and the crew were definitely trying to politely enforce it. I don't know what would have happened if anyone had refused after being reminded by crew, because I never saw anyone refuse. But there are security personnel all over the ship that probably could/would have been called in if anyone gave a crew member a hard time. Fortunately, most of the people on our sailing politely complied with the rules. The only people I saw having to be reminded about masks were people coming into the buffet from the pool deck. Everywhere else, people were doing it without reminders.

• Like 3

Just now, BklynBorn47 said:

Depends on the weave, doesn't it.  Yes, everyone vaccinated, tested, covid rate low, absolutely! I also feel safer on a ship than at the supermarket. As for mask forever? Well, if I am asked to wear a mask in any venue, YES, I will.  Also when volunteering/visiting a nursing home with vulnerable people whether required to or not.  Interesting how I never even got a cold or the flu over the last 2 year.  A benefit of the mask perhaps?  

I haven't had a cold or the flu either for about 5 years. (I'm 72 and the first time I got the flu was 5 years ago....right after cancer treatment.)

Yet I only wear a mask when mandatory.  Until a month ago it was cloth.  The with omicron I switched to K-95 for the subway and places of "unknown status".  When I go to a show...where everyone is tripple vaccinated...off comes the K-95 and on goes the cloth.  Then when the lights go down...so does the mask. (If anyone asked me to put it on, I would...if the mgmt of a venue requires it.)  

Basically, I've avoided a lot of places where masks are mandated...such as museums.  It's not a "political statement"...but I'm very uncomfortable walking around with a mask and carrying my coat.

But, the bottom line in general is that people haven't gotten a cold or flu is because they haven't been out with other people so much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Why does every single post about cruise mask policies devolve into  debate about the effectiveness of masks, in violation of CC rules. 

i guess it's true what jimmy durante used to say, "everybody wants to be an epidemiologist!"

speaking just for myself... i prefer to get my health and safety information from anonymous people online. in fact, i'm waiting on an opinion of my colonoscopy from a cruise critic's poster's uncle's friend's housekeeper, whose husband worked at memorial sloan kettering in the 1960s and once spoke to richard chamberlain, who played dr. kildare on TV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

(If anyone asked me to put it on, I would...if the mgmt of a venue requires it.)  

hmmm... using this logic, you do realize it would be OK to smoke anywhere on an NCL ship, until somebody asked you to stop. we don't get to selectively abide by rules which we don't like, onboard ship or anywhere else.

>>I'm very uncomfortable walking around with a mask and carrying my coat.<<

the mask goes on your face and the coat goes around your shoulders. nobody is requiring you to carry your coat. this doesn't make a great deal of sense. i have always felt uncomfortable walking on deck 15 of an NCL ship while carrying a hat and an umbrella. or a banana and a newspaper. we all make difficult choices in life and i am firmly in the no newspaper and banana camp. but i rest easy knowing that i'm not violating any banana/newspaper requirement.

>>the bottom line in general is that people haven't gotten a cold or flu is because they haven't been out with other people so much.<<

that is one reason, yes. for some people, absolutely.

can you possibly think of any other contributing factor?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MsPAtSea said:

I'm glad that you have recovered from Covid, but just putting this into what you will need to consider as well-

After recovering from Covid-  you (anyone) have the potential to test positive for up to 90 days.  If you do show a positive test at the port,  you will be denied boarding-  No consideration for being recovered,  a positive test is a positive test. 

Recommend testing at home to ensure you are showing negative.

23 minutes ago, UKstages said:

hmmm... using this logic, you do realize it would be OK to smoke anywhere on an NCL ship, until somebody asked you to stop. we don't get to selectively abide by rules which we don't like, onboard ship or anywhere else.

>>I'm very uncomfortable walking around with a mask and carrying my coat.<<

the mask goes on your face and the coat goes around your shoulders. nobody is requiring you to carry your coat. this doesn't make a great deal of sense. i have always felt uncomfortable walking on deck 15 of an NCL ship while carrying a hat and an umbrella. or a banana and a newspaper. we all make difficult choices in life and i am firmly in the no newspaper and banana camp. but i rest easy knowing that i'm not violating any banana/newspaper requirement.

>>the bottom line in general is that people haven't gotten a cold or flu is because they haven't been out with other people so much.<<

that is one reason, yes. for some people, absolutely.

can you possibly think of any other contributing factor?

LOL...if it's cold, and the coat check isn't open....what should I do with my coat?  And I have trouble breathing with a mask.  I know when I'm uncomfortable.  You don't.

If, for all intensive purposes, there's no covid (very low positivity rate)....and everyone is vaccinated....and everyone tested negative prior to getting on the ship....what exactly is the mask protecting anyone from?

It's not like smoking at all.  Smoking stinks up the place and makes other people's clothing smell...and smoking can cause fires (not to mention 2nd hand smoke can affect someone's health).  

If I'm infected on a cruise, and I wear the perfectly acceptable cloth mask, it's not gonna do a thing to protect you.  IMHO, anyone so nervous about becoming infected shouldn't be sailing yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Travelers56 said:

I'm glad that you have recovered from Covid, but just putting this into what you will need to consider as well-

After recovering from Covid-  you (anyone) have the potential to test positive for up to 90 days.  If you do show a positive test at the port,  you will be denied boarding-  No consideration for being recovered,  a positive test is a positive test. 

Recommend testing at home to ensure you are showing negative.

Positive tests after Covid are with PCR tests. They use antigen test at the port, which are not susceptible to showing a positive after recovering 

• Like 1