Advice for Florida Girl going to Alaska.

Lots of good suggestions, but the best thing to do is check the weather right up until you leave. Nobody knows what the weather will be, and it could possibly change, but a day or 2 before, should give you a pretty good idea what it will be.

I load cities on my weather app, that I know I will be visiting in the future. I feel I can be somewhat more prepared.

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I went to the dollar store for a pack of ponchos. Take up very little space and rain likely. I didnt see any snow, just glaciers. I bought a nice coat, maybe fleece with bears on it in onboard store. My other coats took up too much space, I only packed my hoodie. They say layers, though I dont have a lot of layered clothes. 

I went to that national park with a glacier where it poured and was sure glad of the rain poncho I bought for $1. I did have plenty of obc so worked for me and the jacket wasnt that bad. If you go thru rcl they will provide the rain ponchos. 

The ponchos are must, I would also suggest a small roll of Duck Tape if it windy to keep the poncho from blowing around.

I haven't read all the responses but I'll share my experience and it will probably mirror other responses.

LAYERS are important. We didn't bring winter coats but layered with:

●Short sleeve shirt

●Long sleeve button down

●Fleece jacket 

●Windbreaker

●Poncho as needed. (We did not use on ours but still important.)

Also handy are gloves. I also made a quick and dirty fleece band that  covered my ears. Peel as you need.

Once we were on board and 3 miles from a glacier. It was cold. Glad I had the layers.

It was warmer in the ports and usually wore just a shirt and sweater. We went in June and did not bring shorts.

Visit the thrift stores in your area. You might be able to find some reasonably priced items. We picked up several items like flannel and corduroy shirts at our local Goodwill. 

We can't wait to go again. It's beautiful.

Edited by Bailey & Sophie
More info
  • Like 2

I am also a Florida girl.  We went to Alaska in September a few years ago, and it was cold!  We also bought winter jackets at Goodwill, and wore them every day.  As others have said, layers are the way to go.  We also took long underwear, heavy socks, wool cap, and gloves.  People from the north may have different metabolisms, but as tropical people, my DH and I were glad we had our winter clothes.  Have a wonderful time, Alaska is amazing!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, IslandGirl3000 said:

Is there any must haves that I need?

A raincoat is essential. Something you can layer with fleece. Columbia is a reliable brand and can be found relatively inexpensively on major online retailers. You might also want to check out W* for cheap stuff for the trip. Especially when you’re out on excursions, you’ll want layers you can put on/take off. 

Unlike some of the other posters here, knowing you’re from Florida, I might recommend a small packable down parka. If you’re doing a Glacier Bay itinerary or glacier viewing on deck, it can get chilly and windy fast. I’ve got one from Uniqlo (like the high-end Gap of Japan) that is great. It packs down into a little bag but is perfect for when it gets chilly out. 

Just to put a fine point on what others have said, if you don’t bring appropriate clothing to keep you warm, you risk missing or not enjoying the best parts of an Alaska cruise.

That said, being from the Seattle area, we like to cruise from Florida so we can wear shorts and flip flops the whole time 🙂

• Like 1

Being recently from Ohio and very used to snow/cold, have an observation.

OP needs to consider what she considers cold.  In Jacksonville FL, when it dips below 50, people are wearing hats and winter coats.

What "nawtherners" consider cold may not apply to southern gals.  🙂

But I agree with layers, waterproof/resistant shell, waterproof shoes, hat and gloves.  Hoodies can be great warm ship wear.

8 hours ago, JamesEM said:

The ponchos are must, I would also suggest a small roll of Duck Tape if it windy to keep the poncho from blowing around.

Exact reason why I would never suggest a poncho.  You are going to spend too much time adjusting the poncho and miss out on viewing the scenery and wildlife.  A waterproof outer layer, like a Columbia jacket, that can be layered with a light weight fleece will actually have sleeves, unlike a poncho, allowing you to take pictures and enjoy what you are doing.  A cheap poncho works in the Caribbean when you have a quick rainstorm but not an all day rain while on a whale watch or hiking.

This Minnesota guy HAS seen snow.  I'm booked on your cruise.  Since you don't want to buy extra clothing for just this one trip, I agree with the idea of visiting a thrift store.  If you have the time, try to visit one in Seattle; they'd likely have more relevant items.  After a cold & windy coastal cruise up from California in May 2019, I picked up an additional warm item or 2 at a thrift shop in Vancouver before my Alaska cruise; of course that guaranteed that everywhere from there on would be warm and mostly sunny.

We lived in Central Texas when we went to Alaska.  It was warm some days but the day we cruised the glacier it was cold!  I wore long underwear, jeans, tshirt, sweater, coat, gloves, cowl, and hat.  I was outside the whole time and comfortable.  I have a jacket that is a 3 in 1 from LL Bean.   It can be a rain coat with a nice hood that keeps the rain off, a warm jacket or a warm rain jacket.  I also have a pair of Ariat boots that are waterproof and light weight.  We went on several hikes and I was happy to wear them.  It rained all day in Ketchikan and my feet stayed warm and dry.  

20 hours ago, IslandGirl3000 said:

Hi all,

We are going to Alaska in May on Quantum of the Seas. This Florida girl has never even seen snow and I don't have any winter clothes. Is there any must haves that I need? I don't want to buy a bunch of clothes that I will never wear again. Also, is it possible to travel with one large suitcase a piece?

Thanks in advance.

California girl, er, lady, here. Rarely see snow unless I drive an hour or two up to Yosemite or Sequoia. So, I’m not used to really cold. So - I’d say, along with what others have said, Cuddl Duds!  The thin, silky kind for your first layer. They work wonders and don’t take up much room in your bag. And, for those glacier days on deck, ear muffs or covers. That was the coldest part for me.  Even with a knit hat, I still needed the ear covers. And a good pair of gloves.   

As for the large suitcase - I’m probably in the minority here, but I’m not a light packer on cruises, so yes you can. You’re only limited by what the airline limitations are. But, unless you are going to take your suitcase off the ship with you on the last day, you should have a small carryon for the last night’s essentials because you’ll put your case out the night before for them to pick up. 

2 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

We cruised in Alaska in May and about froze to death.....

That brings back fond memories...we arrived in Seward after a transpacific...also in May...after days of extreme heat and humidity in Asia, we were welcomed with snow...it was a beautiful sight to see.

A few feet of fresh, powdery snow covered everything...snow was coming down hard.  Passengers were wondering how they'll make it to Anchorage...you can't even see the road.  But what we'll remember the most were the crew...most have never seen snow...they were on the top deck, playing like little kids...they had their heads bent back with mouths open trying to eat snow, trying to make snowballs and throwing it, and all of them taking pictures...incredible.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

That brings back fond memories...we arrived in Seward after a transpacific...also in May...after days of extreme heat and humidity in Asia, we were welcomed with snow...it was a beautiful sight to see.

A few feet of fresh, powdery snow covered everything...snow was coming down hard.  Passengers were wondering how they'll make it to Anchorage...you can't even see the road.  But what we'll remember the most were the crew...most have never seen snow...they were on the top deck, playing like little kids...they had their heads bent back with mouths open trying to eat snow, trying to make snowballs and throwing it, and all of them taking pictures...incredible.

Yeah, I know what that was like.  I grew up in Colorado. If I never see another snowflake, it'll be too soon.

• Like 1

Wow, great advice! Thank you everyone! 

I would have never thought about gloves or a cap.  I am in Key West, so there are no winter clothes except for Salvation Army and yard sales. I will start looking now. For the waterproof shoes I will go to Amazon. I don't even own a long sleeve shirt or a pair of closed shoes, so I will have to start looking. We have no place to buy clothes. Sears is closed, Kmart is closed, no shoes or clothing stores except for the expensive, high end stores down town and maybe TJ Maxx and Ross if you are lucky enough to find something.  Yard Sales are your best friend here and when that fails, there is Amazon.

Midwest gal here, and I've been to Norway & Iceland. Warm & waterproof boots/shoes are a MUST! Consider ordering those foot warmer things as well(the little packet that you stick in your shoes). It rained a lot in Norway, and my feet were freezing the whole time because I just had tennis shoes and they got wet. Don't skimp on this! Consider it part of the cost of your cruise. If you buy nice boots, you should be able to resell them.

1 hour ago, IslandGirl3000 said:

Wow, great advice! Thank you everyone! 

I would have never thought about gloves or a cap.  I am in Key West, so there are no winter clothes except for Salvation Army and yard sales. I will start looking now. For the waterproof shoes I will go to Amazon. I don't even own a long sleeve shirt or a pair of closed shoes, so I will have to start looking. We have no place to buy clothes. Sears is closed, Kmart is closed, no shoes or clothing stores except for the expensive, high end stores down town and maybe TJ Maxx and Ross if you are lucky enough to find something.  Yard Sales are your best friend here and when that fails, there is Amazon.

Try Macys.com - they have some great end of season sales and will ship free over a certain amount.

I get cold easily. One of the  best things is to make sure you have a good warm hat. You lose a ton of heat through your head so wearing a warm hat can really help.  I also LOVE a good thin pair of long underwear. Uniqlo, MeUndies, or even just search on Amazon for a good pair. 

One more thing - I have been to Alaska 5 times during all kinds of weather, but I have never experienced anything where I needed waterproof shoes, (which generally aren't inexpensive and you will probably never use again.) There are some shore excursions where short boots might be a good idea but I don't believe you will need them up on deck or just waling around the towns.

I have found that a pair of non cloth sneakers usually work just fine but if you want to be prepared for anything, then buy a pair of waterproof shoes but don't wear them unless absolutely necessary and then they can be returned.

Edit - I just checked Macys and they have a Karen Scott fleece jacket for $14 and duck shoes for $25.  Can't beat that.

Edited by mek

6 minutes ago, mek said:

One more thing - I have been to Alaska 5 times during all kinds of weather, but I have never experienced anything where I needed waterproof shoes, (which generally aren't inexpensive and you will probably never use again.) There are some shore excursions where short boots might be a good idea but I don't believe you will need them up on deck or just waling around the towns.

I have found that a pair of non cloth sneakers usually work just fine but if you want to be prepared for anything, then buy a pair of waterproof shoes but don't wear them unless absolutely necessary and then they can be returned.

I used the Scotch waterproof spray on my Ariats.  When were in Ketchikan it rained all day.  We went to one of the totem pole parks and walked around all day.  My feet stayed dry and warm.  I have worn my boots other times in warm weather.  They are light weight and give my ankles good support.  It really depends on what you are doing.  We hiked to the Mendenhall waterfall, the Exit Glacier, Ketchikan, and several other port stops.  I also brought them on our Norway cruise and wore them a lot.  We went to South Dakota last summer and I wore them there too.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Keksie said:

I used the Scotch waterproof spray on my Ariats.  When were in Ketchikan it rained all day.  We went to one of the totem pole parks and walked around all day.  My feet stayed dry and warm.  I have worn my boots other times in warm weather.  They are light weight and give my ankles good support.  It really depends on what you are doing.  We hiked to the Mendenhall waterfall, the Exit Glacier, Ketchikan, and several other port stops.  I also brought them on our Norway cruise and wore them a lot.  We went to South Dakota last summer and I wore them there too.  

I agree on the footwear.  We bought low waterproof hiking books that we have worn many times now.  We were on a land tour prior to our cruise and did some hiking on our own prior to the tour.  We also went out to Nugget Falls at Mendenhall Glacier and having waterproof footwear allowed us to go on the lower path along the water and across a little stream.  We would have had to stay on the regular packed trail otherwise.  We also did a small boat whale watch in Icy Strait Point on a misty day, so waterproof footwear kept us warm and dry. 

I would check online sales at all the places people mentioned as well as Kohl's and even Walmart for polar fleece.  LL Bean or Lands End for the footwear.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Please leave your sweatshirt at home.  If it got wet it would take forever to dry.  Ideally, you would layer with a long sleeve tee, fleece vest, fleece jacket, and a breathable rain coat shell that is wind resistant.  These layers are easily taken off, or added on depending on your need.  Those of us in the Pacific NW grew up knowing that hypothermia happens, and quickly if you get wet and if there is any type of wind or breeze.  Fleece is your friend!

Check out the end of year sales - even Macy's has their fleece marked way down.

Also, leave your flip flops at home (unless for the spa), and invest in some waterproof shoes.

Absolutely agree with this!!!

• Like 1

I just recently dabbled in buying high-end sports coats, ties etc on ebay (ex. Canali, Robert Talbott, Hickey Freeman) to round out my winter wardrobe for the short winter season in Texas for pennies on the dollar. $2000 sports coats for $100/$175 Robert Talbot Best of Class ties for $40. Every item I have purchased has been a steal. Everything seemed almost brand new. I may never pay full retail prices again. I'd check out ebay especially for things like coats and outerwear. They have a large selection in just about every brand name.  Search by brand names and by size. Heck you could sell it on ebay after you got back too if you doubt you'll wear again. 

Edited by Stallion
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, patcacmt said:

So - I’d say, along with what others have said, Cuddl Duds!  The thin, silky kind for your first layer. They work wonders and don’t take up much room in your bag.

And, for those glacier days on deck, ear muffs or covers. That was the coldest part for me.  Even with a knit hat, I still needed the ear covers. And a good pair of gloves.   

Cuddleduds! Yes. I would wear the sleeveless top to work. Very comfortable.

I made ear covers. Easy. I got arctic fleece. You don't need much. I cut 2 straps to go around my head and sewed them together. Fleece doesn't ravel. I made it longer than I needed and just safety-pinned it on. I also had a hat and a hoodie.

One thing you DON'T need...those battery heated socks that (supposedly) keep your feet warm. I bought some from Dick's when we went to the dog park in the winter. THEY DON'T WORK.