Royal's Key Option..yes or no?

etravel

So I noticed in the Cruise Planner their "Key" option..looks like some nice perks but who has perhaps taken this option and was it worth it? I know that's subjective...It does also include the Voom/Internet which is probably about $100 value I would say..but with their "sale" it comes out to about $400 total for two..

Here's what's included. 

• Priority access into the terminal (within booked arrival time) on Day 1. 
  • Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off your carry-on bags in the Main Dining Room until 1:30pm.
  • Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring the Chops Grille Lunch menu.
  • Private time at onboard activities including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more. 
  • Priority departure at tender ports of call from ship-to-shore.
  • Early access at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater, Studio B and Two70. 
  • VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet.
  • On debarkation day, enjoy an exclusive à la carte breakfast and choice departure.

3 minutes ago, etravel said:

was it worth it?

Only you can determine if the items listed above the cost of a two device Voom is worth it - for most, the perceived value of those items are much less than $5/day.

Edited by Biker19

Just now, etravel said:

One thing we wouldn't take advantage of is the private time at the rock climbing and Flowrider..lol! 

Hope you don't mind getting up early -the Flowrider session for Key is usually before the regular opening at 9.

On my 11 night Anthem sailing 12 Dec 2021

4* Priority access into the terminal (within booked arrival time) on Day 1.  -- Entered terminal at 11:00 because I had Key.  Otherwise 2:30PM.

1* Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off your carry-on bags in the Main Dining Room until 1:30pm.  -- Used this, Carry on bag arrived before checked bags.

3* Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring the Chops Grille Lunch menu.  -- Good lunch, Preferred this to Windjammer - no crowd at all.

5*/0* Private time at onboard activities including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more.  -- Rock wall did not open much at all.  2 Flowrider times 11:30-12:30 day 4 (the day we arrive at 4PM in San Juan) 11:30-12:30 Day 11 (sea day).  I used both flowrider times, and enjoyed it enough that I signed up for a 1 hour stand-up surfing class.

0* Priority departure at tender ports of call from ship-to-shore. -- There were no tendered ports.

0* Early access at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater, Studio B and Two70.  -- Shows were not at all crowded.

3* VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet. -- Used this extensively.  I would have bought the lower tier (no stream) package anyway.

5* On debarkation day, enjoy an exclusive à la carte breakfast and choice departure.  -- Enjoyed this.  Ate a leisurely breakfast, wandered off at 9:30, and my booked shuttle to the airport was ready with no waiting.

Yes, I will buy it again (did buy it for 31 Jan Anthem) if the cost of The Key is less than $7 per day over the cost of the lower tier internet (no stream).

Edited by gmerick
wrong # "*" on tendered ports
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s super easy to avoid much of a line for the Flo Rida on a port day when people are getting or have just gotten back on the ship after a day in port.  (That’s when I did it several yrs ago. Can’t recall if we had left the port yet but I don’t think so.).   Also likely when docked at a port if it is open during part of the day then. 

Edited by mlbcruiser

12 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

I paid 119.00 for the week on a Black Friday special.  
17.00 a day.   For solo.   

good deal I think.  

that seems like a really good deal since it's $28.00 a day now on the current sale!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, etravel said:

that seems like a really good deal since it's $28.00 a day now on the current sale!

Yeah was a Black Friday deal. Only reason I got it.    
Its 19.99 today. @25%off.   

• Like 1

I'm considering it for a solo 4-night cruise if the price comes down a little more...but beyond that (longer cruise or 2+ people), I just don't think I'd see the value in it.

I'm going to get the internet, so for me, if the price drops low enough that it's a good deal for internet + Chops menu lunch ($20), I'll do it.

• Like 1

I was going to get it for my recently-completed cruise, but:

a., the Key seems most useful if the ship is going to be crowded.  Our cruise was under 50% capacity.  There was no major issue with waiting for activities, entertainment, etc.

b. with the testing protocols for my unvaxxed daughter, AND with embarkation times being pushed back by 90 minutes anyway, there did not seem to be any point to "priority boarding."
c.  I purchased an internet package anyway.

d.  The Black Friday price still would have cost both of us about $40 per day.  So that would have been $24 more than the internet package.  $24 for each cruise day seemed like lot for the two benefits we would have indisputably gotten:  the Chops Grille menu lunch (which is greatly abbreviated compared to their dinner menu); and a more leisurely breakfast and departure.

Having said all of that, if the next cruise I booked is more like a "normal" one, I might spring for The Key IF I can get the low sale price.  I still would not purchase it for $27.99 or $29.99 per day.

27 minutes ago, Presbycruiser67 said:

I was going to get it for my recently-completed cruise, but:

a., the Key seems most useful if the ship is going to be crowded.  Our cruise was under 50% capacity.  There was no major issue with waiting for activities, entertainment, etc.

b. with the testing protocols for my unvaxxed daughter, AND with embarkation times being pushed back by 90 minutes anyway, there did not seem to be any point to "priority boarding."
c.  I purchased an internet package anyway.

d.  The Black Friday price still would have cost both of us about $40 per day.  So that would have been $24 more than the internet package.  $24 for each cruise day seemed like lot for the two benefits we would have indisputably gotten:  the Chops Grille menu lunch (which is greatly abbreviated compared to their dinner menu); and a more leisurely breakfast and departure.

Having said all of that, if the next cruise I booked is more like a "normal" one, I might spring for The Key IF I can get the low sale price.  I still would not purchase it for $27.99 or $29.99 per day.

Thank you those are all great points!!! I sure appreciate it and things to think about! 

17 hours ago, etravel said:

One thing we wouldn't take advantage of is the private time at the rock climbing and Flowrider..lol! 

Does anyone know what the “and more” refers to for this perk?  (Rock climbing, Flowrider, and more . . . ).  Does it include, for example, the zip lining, sky diving thing, etc., on the ships that have those?  

• Like 1

We purchased for our Greek Isles cruise in September during the black friday sale.  It was negligible for me with the value.  

Priority boarding is not much of a concern - we're Diamond and on European cruises often board when we walk into the terminal anyway.  

We do get the Internet package so that was of value.

We won't use the rock climbing wall and the ship doesn't have a flow rider anyway.  We will likely enjoy the Chops lunch.  

We only have our backpacks for carry on's and would prefer not to have those "unattended" by us so we'll carry them until we can get in our rooms.  

My husband doesn't like shows, I usually got a few but sit in the very back for an easy exit, if so desired.  

But - this cruise does have a lot of tender ports and we will likely be booking independent excursions.  I do plan to get value from that perk - if only just the peace of mind.  

If it weren't on sale for only a little bit over the cost of the Internet, I would have skipped it.  But with the incredible sale, it made it palatable. 

• Like 1

I had The Key on my last cruise.  But I was solo and would have gotten the Voom package any way, so it was worth it.

For 2 people, that can share a single connection, it is a bit expensive.