Rcl excursions. How bad are mosquitoes in Belize

I was told I should know everything last time I posted a rcl question. Sept 11 goes to Belize on Liberty. I've never done a excursion in Belize. I got nervous when I read about mosquitoes and the need for insect spray. Has anyone here done one to Belize. How were the mosquitoes? They absolutely love me is why I'm nervous.

I sat and watched while the 4 hour raft and lunch sold out. 2 hour raft left or a ruins excursion. For reasons unknown rcl only gave me discounted excursions on this date. I feel like I should get out and do something in Belize. This is the ruins excursion offered. 

PS someone on my roll call asked about the dolphin encounter rcl offers, seems too cheap, what is the catch. Someone has done it turns out, they said the catch is the cost of pictures. You cant take your own pictures. A pkg on sale can run $300 .. I'm not doing the dolphin, but thought I'd add the info here .. I'm looking for Belize. The dolphin encounter is costa maya. I'm there a lot. Rarely go to Belize. 

Any comments or feedback on rcl excursions in Belize?

20220117_173109037.jpeg

20220117_172359052.jpeg

Our one time in Belize we did the excursion to Altun Ha (Mayan ruins) which is in the rainforest.  There were a lot of mosquitoes there.  I always carry OFF wipes with me so we pulled those out once they started biting and they worked great, no more bites.  We never saw any at the port itself.  It was because we were in the rainforest that we saw them.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BND said:

Our one time in Belize we did the excursion to Altun Ha (Mayan ruins) which is in the rainforest.  There were a lot of mosquitoes there.  I always carry OFF wipes with me so we pulled those out once they started biting and they worked great, no more bites.  We never saw any at the port itself.  It was because we were in the rainforest that we saw them.

Thanks. I have heard of that one. Seems to be more well known. The one I posted above is the only ruins I saw offered. I have a can of off I can bring. Hoping off is enough. I really react to insect bites. I'm sure the raft trip also has mosquitoes.. 

Thanks for your reply. My roll calls are also asking about the hit or miss of excursion choices on other dates. I have Belize jan 30th but only one excursion offered there when I looked. My choices are odd.

I’ve been on multiple excursions in Belize that visited Mayan ruins and did boat transportation on the river.  I don’t recall ever having to deal with mosquitoes.  And I’m not one to wear bug repellent.  I just never saw any.  I’m sure, like everywhere it depends on the time of year and the weather.  Your experience may differ. 

• Like 2

We always take a new can of bug spray with every cruise. We buy new because we don't know how long the are good for. It goes in our backpack during excursions. We rarely use it but it's handy if we do. I'm allergic to bites and if bitten the bite can last up to 6 weeks.

• Like 1

I have always used bug spray when going to ruins or traveling along tropical or semi tropical waterways.

Another hint is to make sure that your clothing is light colored. Mosquitos naturally are attracted to dark (think navy blue, black, dark purple) colors as they are genetically programed to obtain blood from dark fur covered animals.

Another hint that I have learned from excursions that involve open air transportation or outdoor activities in the Caribbean is to always bring a beach towel with us and leave it on the bus.

The first time you are catch in a passing downpour, you will be glad to have it, especially is the AC is blasting on the trip back.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 1

Maybe it's a good thing that only the 2 hour river trip is available as my skin is so sensitive to bug bites. The other one is twice as long and lunch and was only like $15 more so a better value but this at least I will see some of Belize I've decided. Lol comes with a rum punch drink. .. but why so early at 730 am? 

Worst bunch of excursions I've ever seen.. and not just on this date. Sept 18 I got 2 showing. Says caymans and jamaica. Well at  least I've never done almost all of the excursion choices post covid. Maybe some are closed due to covid?  Just  ... different choices. 

38 minutes ago, mom07 said:

Did a river cruise in Belize and got two bites that were horrible.  My fault for forgetting my bug spray!  took quite a while to heal once we returned.  Keep the bug spray handy!

Yikes. Sorry to hear this. 

I think my mind was off on the 730 am time and free rum punch so early in the morning. Really having a hard time making up my mind to go but I'm actually paying extra for this date over the following week and telling myself I should see Belize this time. ..but so odd choices. 

Two things: the species of mosquito is probably new to you so that's why the bites might be so bad. Look into buying a bug jacket that will protect your arms and neck, at least.  The Afterbite is a must.

Secondly, we did the Dolphin Encounter in Cozumel years ago, and left heartsick. It was obvious that the animals did not enjoy it and did not want to participate. There is a part where you stand on the dock and the dolphins swim by you so you can pet them - and they uniformly stayed close enough to look 'close' but about an inch away from being touched. All of them, every pass. They do not like it.  I wish they would stop these programs. 

• Like 1

We did a Xunantunich and lunch excursion on Carnival a few years ago. We had a great guide; I imagine Royal contracts with the same tour companies that Carnival does.  

I don't remember mosquitos being an issue, but having some kind of repellent would be a good idea.   

We could climb the ruins.  If you are inclined to do that, I recommend shoes or sandals that are secure on your feet - not flip-flops.   You only want to do this if you are feeling sure-footed.  The steps are steep and narrow, and on the way up there isn't much to hold on to.   There is a handrail on the way down.  You get a great view from the top and a feeling of accomplishment.   But my sister was perfectly happy waiting for me at the bottom, holding my bag so my hands were free.

4 hours ago, flamingos said:

Two things: the species of mosquito is probably new to you so that's why the bites might be so bad. Look into buying a bug jacket that will protect your arms and neck, at least.  The Afterbite is a must.

Secondly, we did the Dolphin Encounter in Cozumel years ago, and left heartsick. It was obvious that the animals did not enjoy it and did not want to participate. There is a part where you stand on the dock and the dolphins swim by you so you can pet them - and they uniformly stayed close enough to look 'close' but about an inch away from being touched. All of them, every pass. They do not like it.  I wish they would stop these programs. 

Dolphin encounters would end if people stopped paying for them.  It is animal cruelty imo.   For the life of me I don’t get why people do them.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did an 11-day vacation to Belize. In the late after-noon or in areas with lots of shade the mosquitos can be really bad. If you are worried, then just double-up: Use Ultrathon on your exposed skin and use a spray-on permethrin on your clothes/hat/socks. You can spray your clothes a week or so before you go on the cruise (this will help eliminate any smell) and it tends to work for about 2-3 months (and maybe a half-dozen washings). As for the Ultrathon, make sure to try it out prior to the cruise. There are lots of folks that are allergic to high deet (40%+) so want to find that out early.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, topnole said:

Dolphin encounters would end if people stopped paying for them.  It is animal cruelty imo.   For the life of me I don’t get why people do them.  

Because rcl is offering it for $58.99. At that price I bet the dolphin encounter sells out.

I've held a sloth before but signed up for that in roatan. ..another photo op. Rcl seems to have these set up for pictures they sell. Well it says walk in the rain forest and see hummingbirds and something first before the photo op. It's probably not good for the sloths and they import them from the mainland. Some I've seen on roll calls booked those routes just to hold a sloth. .. more so than dolphins.

46 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Because rcl is offering it for $58.99. At that price I bet the dolphin encounter sells out.

I've held a sloth before but signed up for that in roatan. ..another photo op. Rcl seems to have these set up for pictures they sell. Well it says walk in the rain forest and see hummingbirds and something first before the photo op. It's probably not good for the sloths and they import them from the mainland. Some I've seen on roll calls booked those routes just to hold a sloth. .. more so than dolphins.

We just did the sloth encounter in Roatan, and the reaction from the animal was completely different - no distress.  From their description, these animals cannot be returned to the wild:  "All of our animals have a little different history, but most of them have came from local people that have realized they are not capable of having the responsibility of owning these animals any longer. "   Not the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flamingos said:

We just did the sloth encounter in Roatan, and the reaction from the animal was completely different - no distress.  From their description, these animals cannot be returned to the wild:  "All of our animals have a little different history, but most of them have came from local people that have realized they are not capable of having the responsibility of owning these animals any longer. "   Not the same.

I did the sloths privately before so this will be first time thru rcl. It does say these are rescues. 

I only meant at such cheap prices both will certainly sell out. The price is why, very cheap, so they will certainly continue .. didnt mean it was a good thing. Dolphin interaction excursions used to cost quite a bit, maybe 129? So I'm surprised to see them half the price now. 

• Like 1

Oh yeah there are mosquitoes! 

They didn't bother us too much...been to Lamanai ruins several times(EXCELLENT!), river trips, zoo, etc. Take some B1 starting a few days before and douse with some OFF! and. you should be fine! Someone is usually selling OFF! at most attractions in Belize.  It will be 2-3X normal price so you might want to get it before getting to Belize.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jingerwoppy said:

I don't recall having a mosquito issue like the others and we went to the Belize "zoo" in the jungle. 

I remember seeing that zoo excursion in the past. Not offered either of my Belize dates. I would for sure have done the zoo. I love animals.