Another Extra Tipping Question

JerseyGirlatHeart

First let me start off by saying we have the “Tips” included package.  We are doing a B2B, staying in the same room and have requested the same waiters.

- Should we give extra tips at the end of each segment?  We know our Hostess and Bakery Gal are heading  home at end of the first leg and we would like to give them a little something to send them off.  Is it appropriate to tip others at the end of each leg or wait until the very end?

- Additionally, I know tipping is personal, but what is the average “little something extra” for making us smile each day?  We are not loaded, but would like to express our appreciation?

• Like 1

I treat each leg of a B2B separately just as the Line does so yes, tip as if you are finished.

Enjoy! Nothing quite like sitting back and relaxing on the last night of the leg while everyone else is packing and thinking about flights and so on. Also, that last night a lot do not use the specialty restaurants since they are focused on departure so we got a discount moving over to one. 

den

• Like 1

I agree to take care of such business on a leg-to-leg basis.  As mentioned, there's no telling whether someone is getting off or getting reassigned.  They may not even know, themselves.

I won't answer your other question other than to tip what feels right to you and what you are comfortable with.  These tips are additional, optional, appreciated, and entirely personal.  Don't worry about what someone else is doing.

Have fun!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JerseyGirlatHeart said:

First let me start off by saying we have the “Tips” included package.  We are doing a B2B, staying in the same room and have requested the same waiters.

- Should we give extra tips at the end of each segment?  We know our Hostess and Bakery Gal are heading  home at end of the first leg and we would like to give them a little something to send them off.  Is it appropriate to tip others at the end of each leg or wait until the very end?

- Additionally, I know tipping is personal, but what is the average “little something extra” for making us smile each day?  We are not loaded, but would like to express our appreciation?

Glad you have the tips included package.  As for additional tips, just do what feels right for you based on the service you receive, which will most likely be awesome.  I always tip additional but would not suggest to someone else what is right for them.  Go with your instinct, anything additional will be greatly appreciated.  Enjoy your cruise!

5 hours ago, JerseyGirlatHeart said:

On B2B's they sometimes rotate stateroom attendants and move dining room servers around.  There are some desirable locations in the dining room, so they rotate so everyone can get their chance at a certain location.  There's no guarantee you will have both on the 2nd half of the B2B.

I agree that you should tip at the end of each leg.  Tip as you see fit as it is a personal decision.

There will be posters who will boast about how much they tip (I could name some of these artists)-- but you have to decide for yourself based on your particular situation.  Have a great cruise.

Since no one has responded to the tip amount, I will.

First, I totally agree to tip what you feel comfortable with, since the AI has the basics covered.

On a recent Royal Caribbean trip, we tipped the auto-gratuity amount, then gave directly to the Maitre'd ($10), favorite bartender ($20), and favorite waiter ($40). I have no idea if that was exceptional or insulting, but that's what I felt was appropriate to reflect their excellent impact on our vacation. FYI - we did not have a beverage package.

• Like 2

No extra tipping is insulting. The crew appreciates any extra dollar amount. I tip $2.00 for morning breakfast in the cabin, $1.00 per drink at a bar or the server, $25.00 each for cabin steward, waiter, and ass't waiter. I only tip the maitre"d if something was done by him. That being said, extra tipping is strictly up to you.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

No extra tipping is insulting. The crew appreciates any extra dollar amount. I tip $2.00 for morning breakfast in the cabin, $1.00 per drink at a bar or the server, $25.00 each for cabin steward, waiter, and ass't waiter. I only tip the maitre"d if something was done by him. That being said, extra tipping is strictly up to you.

Wow!  Extra tipping is for excellent service.  You state no extra tipping is insulting.  Really?  We gladly provide extra tips in an amount we feel comfortable.   But when there are issues - we had an awful waitstaff on one cruise, an extra tip?  Absolutely not.

For my bartenders,  I try to use the same bar and usually give a few $$ on my second drink and more if their good service continues.  Have also found cabin attendants often cannot go ashore.  Have often purchased items for them in town.  Much appreciated.

• Like 1

I agree with all the suggestions above. On my last B2B, as has been suggested, I tipped at the end of the first cruise and again at the end of the second. I don’t remember exactly what I gave, but, on the second cruise, my cabin steward fell over himself to make sure my room was made up when I left for breakfast. I tipped the bartender at the bar I frequented every night. On the second cruise, he took very good care of me, to the extent of serving me before others who were waiting. But, I am easy- a glass of wine or a bourbon on the rocks.

Tip what you are comfortable with and it will be most appreciated. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I believe what the poster was trying to say is that no amount of extra tipping is insulting.

Exactly! That was actually pretty clear to me (and probably every one else except  person) 😂

Edited by garyl62

Interesting.  For some reason I just assume a ‘t’ was left off as it ‘not extra tipping is insulting.’  While I agree in principle, I believe extra tipping is always warranted for extra service.  

I also believe that if the wait staff is not satisfactory I have no hesitation to ask that we be moved to another section.  This has only happened once and that was on Royal Caribbean not Celebrity. 

1 hour ago, pooh/tigger said:

We always give our cabin stewart $100 when we first meet them.

And we tip $3 per person,  to our breakfast and dinner waiters. Usually don’t eat lunch. 

Are you trying to bribe your cabin attendant for good service?  With regard to tipping an additional $3pp for breakfast & dinner, you're the first person I've read on cruise critic that has done such.  WOW!  You are the tipping guru.  

6 hours ago, Auntiemomo said:

Are you trying to bribe your cabin attendant for good service?  With regard to tipping an additional $3pp for breakfast & dinner, you're the first person I've read on cruise critic that has done such.  WOW!  You are the tipping guru.  

😀😀 Thank you.

when we plan a cruise, we don’t go out to eat and then place what we would spend at a restaurant each month leading up to the cruise into a jar. That becomes our extra tips for the crew. Usually, it’s only around $200. 

as for the cabin attendant, they work really hard. They deserve a extra tip.

We have a Mediterranean cruise scheduled for Oct 2023. The jar already has $17.55. 

Have a great day 

• Like 1

Hi.

I'm not an american, and where i come from tipping is not a thing. 

We have booked a cruise with Celebrity with "Always included", and gratuity should be included.

Are we supposed to tip staff around the ship also? My understanding is the gratuity is shared between staff, and because it's included you don't have to bring cash wherever you go. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sgadk87 said:

Hi.

We have booked a cruise with Celebrity with "Always included", and gratuity should be included.

Are we supposed to tip staff around the ship also? My understanding is the gratuity is shared between staff, and because it's included you don't have to bring cash wherever you go. 

Yes you are correct - no additional tips required . You will not receive a sub standard service if you don’t tip extra 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

Yes you are correct - no additional tips required . You will not receive a sub standard service if you don’t tip extra 

This is very true. The staff is VERY professional. When I tipped additional, it was a combination of amazing service - above and beyond good service - and an acknowledgement that the COVID cruise pause has been extremely rough (financially) on the cruise employees.
I stress (again) tipping above the AI gratuities is a personal choice. 

• Like 3

This brings to mind a couple that brought 're-gifted' Christmas presents to share.  One item was a fruit cake.  Others were tins of cookies and candy.  I am not sure the crew needs or wants  food but it was a nice gesture on their part.  I would think cash is  preferred.

On 1/20/2022 at 5:22 AM, sgadk87 said:

Hi.

Cruises used to give cash envelopes for tipping at the end of each cruise. I think that between inconsistencies in tip amounts and increased use of multiple staff (anytime dining) led to tips becoming a set standard cost. And now they are often included in the booking. Tipping is so engrained in American culture that many feel weird or guilty to leave nothing. Others feel like cash is the best way to express gratitude.

I think that is mostly an American thing. Your tips are included and nothing extra is expected. I'm sure extra would always be appreciated but so would a sincere thank you. Whatever feels right to you is fine. I personally don't tip extra unless we ask for or receive something outside the norm. We don't carry cash with us around the ship.

• Like 1