Pricing - Seeing is Believing

I never thought I'd see the day, but here it is.  Pricing out Symphony of the Seas for 04/09/22 and discovered that it would be cheaper to book two connecting balcony cabins (1 single occupancy, 1 double occupancy) than booking a one triple occupancy balcony cabin.  I think Royal Caribbean might be over thinking how they are pricing out triples these days.  I see no disadvantage not to book the two connecting cabins over the single.

Sym(04.09.22).jpg

Wonder March 18 is showing no cabins available at all for 4 people. Rooms still showing as available to book for 2.  I’m aware of the rumors about this sailing but just thought it was interesting. 

noticed prices were also substantially higher on May 2023 Holy Land for rooms with 4 people. Could book 2 rooms 2 each in same category for only slightly more. 

Edited by Jkaczanowski

Just now, Jkaczanowski said:

Wonder March 18 is showing no cabins available at all for 4 people. Rooms still showing as available to book for 2.  I’m aware of the rumors about this sailing but just thought it was interesting. 

That's the reason I'm looking at this Symphony sailing - in the event RC cancels the Wonder April 8th sailing.

2 minutes ago, Jkaczanowski said:

We’re on the 18th sailing in a 2br aquatheater.  Have already sent 2 backup plans to my travel agent.

7 minutes ago, The Grumpus said:

That's the reason I'm looking at this Symphony sailing - in the event RC cancels the Wonder April 8th sailing.

Why would Royal be cancelling the 8th?? Any other Wonder sailings in jeopardy??

1 minute ago, Scoobydobe7 said:

Why would Royal be cancelling the 8th?? Any other Wonder sailings in jeopardy??

Unsubstantiated rumor that March/April 2022 Florida sailings cancelled. May be nothing, but my husband has to book vacation 6-8 months in advance so I made back up plans. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Grumpus said:

I never thought I'd see the day, but here it is.  Pricing out Symphony of the Seas for 04/09/22 and discovered that it would be cheaper to book two connecting balcony cabins (1 single occupancy, 1 double occupancy) than booking a one triple occupancy balcony cabin.  I think Royal Caribbean might be over thinking how they are pricing out triples these days.  I see no disadvantage not to book the two connecting cabins over the single.

Sym(04.09.22).jpg

@The Grumpus  What level are your passengers?  You are probably getting more balcony discount because of being higher tier.  That's a good thing.  But if "newbies" are trying to book the way that you are, the advantage is probably not there.

7 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

@The Grumpus  What level are your passengers?  You are probably getting more balcony discount because of being higher tier.  That's a good thing.  But if "newbies" are trying to book the way that you are, the advantage is probably not there.

Both cabins D+

Looking at the pricing breakdown.  The two staterooms are higher until the discounts are counted in.

We just ran into the same thing with a family cruise that we just booked. My BIL has 5 people. It was way cheaper to do 3 cabins, and have one cabin with a solo cruiser than to have  one cabin for 2 and one cabin for 3.

Now I’m trying to figure out how to get myself into his solo booking to get double points… 😁 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Grumpus said:

Sym(04.09.22).jpg

Did this many times and I discovered it when RCL was having their Neighborhood promos as it was per cabin.  However, they began charging extra for adjoining cabins,

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

Did this many times and I discovered it when RCL was having their Neighborhood promos as it was per cabin.  However, they began charging extra for adjoining cabins,

We had connecting Neighborhood balconies on Oasis last month.  Had to move on day 2 due to a cabin issue. Couldn't find us connecting, but got two side by side. Never got any compensation 😪

I'm fairly certain I paid a premium for the original cabins

2 hours ago, The Grumpus said:

Sym(04.09.22).jpg

A significant portion is the additional Crown & Anchor Balcony discount being applied, since that's limited to one discount per cabin. Booking two cabins would entail a second person being eligible for a Crown & Anchor discount in order to receive that, which at least for a spouse/significant other, is likely always possible.

This isn't new, though. It happened back in August/September for most all the remaining 2021 sailings where effectively there was no single supplement for anyone; you could book 2 cabins for 2 people for less than 1 cabin for 2 people because of the additional balcony discount applied. It always is good to look at various options when pricing things out.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jkaczanowski said:

Unsubstantiated rumor that March/April 2022 Florida sailings cancelled. May be nothing, but my husband has to book vacation 6-8 months in advance so I made back up plans. 

Same here. First with the Navy and now with the airlines. 😫

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

They are discouraging families. Carnival 3rd rate is also higher lately. With capacity lower they dont care if you book 2 connecting cabins.

I think they are encouraging families if it is cheaper to have 2 cabins than 1.  

1 minute ago, topnole said:

I think they are encouraging families if it is cheaper to have 2 cabins than 1.  

Indeed. Back when we were cruising with two young boys, we would book two adjoining cabins rather than pile into one. It's a much better way to go. 

Just now, DCPIV said:

Indeed. Back when we were cruising with two young boys, we would book two adjoining cabins rather than pile into one. It's a much better way to go. 

Back when I was an older kid my folks piled us all in one cabin.  It was a lot cheaper that way back then and it was the only way we could afford it I guess. Years later they started doing mostly suites.  Thanks Mom and Dad!  😂😂

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Encouraging families to me would be lowering the 3/4 rate. Having a kids sail free sale.

That works for some.  But when you don’t want to cram everyone in a cabin the kids don’t sail free.  Not to mention, when they run those they usually just jack up the regular rates until the sale is done. The only time KSF prices worked well for us was for a suite.  Then KSF can be a good deal and you aren’t crammed into a tiny cabin.  

We had 3 balcony cabins booked on Harmony for our group of 8: 3, 3, and 2. We changed it to 4 balcony cabins, 2 of them are connecting and saved $2000+ on the total. 3 in a cabin was more than double the price for 2 in a cabin.

We sail May 29th, the first sailing for the end of the school year, so those cabins for 3+ are at a premium.

Glad I checked.

Barb

• Like 2