Are smart phones now required to board?

I checked in yesterday for my upcoming cruise using my PC.  When I go to get my Set Sail Pass, this is at the top of the screen:

You are required to download the mobile app prior to sailing

• Access your digital boarding pass
  • Answer the health questions on the app the day before your sailing
  • Board safely, quickly, and with confidence

I have the app and enjoy it, but I have never heard that it was required to sail.

Short answer: No.

I used the app and found it useful but none of my three sailing companions did. In fact two of them didn't even have it on their phones.

I did all the checking-in, show and dining bookings for all four of us.

I used my smart phone on my last few cruises and it was a great tool.  In saying that, I usually try and print out my set sail pass to have a copy with me (yeah, I'm still old school  🤔).  On my upcoming cruise I've noticed that the barcode is now being printed on 2 seperate sheets of paper; literally cut in half.  Wasn't sure if it was because of all the extra covid precautions being printed out or RC's way of forcing you to use the smart phones.  ????? 

14 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

I used my smart phone on my last few cruises and it was a great tool.  In saying that, I usually try and print out my set sail pass to have a copy with me (yeah, I'm still old school  🤔).  On my upcoming cruise I've noticed that the barcode is now being printed on 2 seperate sheets of paper; literally cut in half.  Wasn't sure if it was because of all the extra covid precautions being printed out or RC's way of forcing you to use the smart phones.  ????? 

Which is why I printed mine on legal size paper. And never used for check in. But I was ready in case phone died.

Edited by fliprcruiser

1 hour ago, Dewaldcruiser said:

I have the app and enjoy it, but I have never heard that it was required to sail.

They may put that warning up to cut down on the number of people that will download it on the ship, which BTW gets you ~15 min of Stream free.

Pro tip: if you otherwise don't need Voom, but want to check in for a flight (or need just a few min of internet) go to the app sign up screen and click on the Playstore or App store link - you should get about 15 min of Stream (works only one time so use it wisely).

1 hour ago, Surfguyxxx said:

Use "landcape" setting to print.

Not required but it does make life easier. 

I met a guest boarding my current cruise that doesn't own a cell phone.

He had a setsail pass printed with the barcode split on two pages.  They printed him a new one in the terminal.  I had printed mine in landscape so I was good.  

I use paper to board.  I'm too likely to drop my phone trying to show it and then with a busted screen I'd be SOL so I always print my stuff.  Test results and setsail pass are always printed.

Onboard I used my phone to quickly make reservations for everything I wanted while someone without a device has to make reservations the old fashioned way.  While waiting to board I watched the safety video so I just had to drop by the muster station and I was done.  Without a device you can watch the safety video in your cabin once cabins are open or you can request a longer safety orientation at the muster station.

• Like 1

short answer is no.

My parents' phones are so old that there is no app version suitable for their phones. So, we used my phone for all 5 of us. However, we had all the documents printed prior to the cruise (setsail passes, covid tests).

Long answer - it was very useful. Good thing, because we watched the "mustard grill" video on my phone, because we couldn't access it on the TV. We were told it would be on TV, but surprise!  it wasn't. 

Other than that, I also used my phone to book all the shows immediately upon boarding, while we were all enjoying a buffet lunch. Without it, I'd have to go elsewhere to book the shows.

All in all, it was very convenient. We did use the paper menus in MDR.

Oh, and a phone was necessary if you have an unvaxxed kid under 12, because they email you the results of their at-the-terminal covid tests which you have to present before boarding. I also had to use a phone to register my kid for his pre-departure covid test and got the results via my phone.

Plus, my phone has a great camera and we take a lot of pictures when cruising.