Fear of solo quarantine abroad

gailellen12

I have put a deposit on a Mediterranean cruise for June. As I would be traveling solo my concern would be the need to have to go through a quarantine alone, in a foreign country  If you have been overseas or are planning to do so do you have similar concerns?  Thanks for any positive thoughts you might send my way. I have been working in a school and was really looking forward to this much needed trip. Final payment is due in a month so crunch time will be here soon🤔 Gailellen12

• Like 1

I'm traveling solo on the Anthem next week and this thought did cross my mind should something happen. I am accustomed to traveling alone so I believe I'd be fine. If anything, my fear would be the financial impact for ordering in!

• Like 1

I'm hoping most of this has gone away by August, when my next Med cruise is, but I'm not really worried about a solo quarantine. It'd be boring, of course, but you'll have a story to tell. 🙂 Maybe ensure that you have plenty of books/downloaded media and a journal to keep yourself occupied.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 12:11 AM, Virtopia said:

I'm traveling solo on the Anthem next week and this thought did cross my mind should something happen. I am accustomed to traveling alone so I believe I'd be fine. If anything, my fear would be the financial impact for ordering in!

So true. If  I needed to quarantine it would be in Venice. Eating pasta and sitting around all day by myself. I would gain more in quarantine than I did on the cruise.  I must admit quarantine is a fear of mine; especially as a solo senior even though I am in good health. 

I’m on my way back to New Jersey now - actually sitting in the Windjammer looking out the window. It’s been a fantastic cruise - they said we had about 1,855 passengers on board and I never felt unsafe in any way. I got off in 3 of the 4 ports and as of this moment, I have no symptoms and should have a successful negative test in the next few days.

• Like 2

Yes, it concerns me - not that it would be anything I couldn't handle, but that it would cost me time and money that I don't want to spend.  I'm more worried about failing a test and needing to quarantine than I am of getting sick, because the former is more likely than the latter.  That's why I'm not going until mid-November, in hopes that the infection rates won't be so high. 

On 1/21/2022 at 9:01 AM, gailellen12 said:

As I would be traveling solo my concern would be the need to have to go through a quarantine alone, in a foreign country

I completely understand your concerns.  I tentatively booked a solo British Isles cruise in a balcony cabin embarking Southampton on June 2, 2022.  I'll have travel insurance that covers the cost of a land-based quarantine, so that's one less thing to worry about.  Before I pay the final payment, I'm researching and trying to understand what I might encounter if quarantined, either on land in the UK or onboard the Emerald Princess. I don't expect to be quarantined in a 4-star hotel but a room with a window would be nice. I also don't want to embark on a 12-night cruise if there's even a slight chance I'd be quarantined in an inside cabin.  If I were you, I'd definitely look into where you might be quarantined in Venice.  My understanding is that most of the ports are about an hour outside the city.

On 2/9/2022 at 1:07 PM, tjones77 said:

I've never travelled solo and every time I look for cruises, they never over solo rooms if they have them or anything about solo rates.  Any suggestions of how to do this?

Many mainstream cruise lines charge an extra 100% for solo passengers in a regular cabin; some luxury lines charge an extra 50%-75%.  You can just start a booking for 1 passenger, or ask a travel agent to give you the rates for traveling solo.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:51 PM, calliopecruiser said:

Many mainstream cruise lines charge an extra 100% for solo passengers in a regular cabin; some luxury lines charge an extra 50%-75%.  You can just start a booking for 1 passenger, or ask a travel agent to give you the rates for traveling solo.

Yep...trying that but not having any luck with it...too expensive however if anyone has a TA that is super with solo travel or particular websites or blogs with tips or deal announcements, that would be a wonderful thing to have!  thank you for your advice...I appreciate it 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 6:14 AM, tjones77 said:

Yep...trying that but not having any luck with it...too expensive however if anyone has a TA that is super with solo travel or particular websites or blogs with tips or deal announcements, that would be a wonderful thing to have!  thank you for your advice...I appreciate it 🙂

Try the week after final payment.  You'd have to pay in full but the price will be lower. Princess either removed or significantly lowered the single supplement right after final payment date on my August & December cruises. Right now my April cruise solo supplement is $100 in a balcony & $0 in inside room. My September one hasn't dropped the solo supplement yet but I'll ask for a refare if it does 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 5:01 PM, gailellen12 said:

I have put a deposit on a Mediterranean cruise for June. As I would be traveling solo my concern would be the need to have to go through a quarantine alone, in a foreign country  If you have been overseas or are planning to do so do you have similar concerns?  Thanks for any positive thoughts you might send my way. I have been working in a school and was really looking forward to this much needed trip. Final payment is due in a month so crunch time will be here soon🤔 Gailellen12

I know this is too late for your final payment decision but my 2cents.. I went from Ireland to Puerto Rico for a cruise last month, I downloaded a bunch of shows and movies onto my iPad and ebooks on my kindle before travelling so I’d have plenty of entertainment if I wound up quarantined  aboard ship or on land. 

• 3 weeks later...

I hadn't thought about quarantine after the cruise until this week, reading a thread here on CC!  

I'm 77 & traveling solo on a TA in 50+ days.  So now I'm thinking about what I need to add to my packing list (more of my daily meds mostly & maybe an international phone package). 

Staying alone in a hotel room for a few days won't be that different from being in my ship's cabin, except I won't have my balcony & the sea.  If it happens, I'll be in London so no language issues.

I'm sure I could handle that "change of plans" but my DD (here at home) will probably have a fit.  (She worries a lot.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 1:07 PM, tjones77 said:

I've never travelled solo and every time I look for cruises, they never over solo rooms if they have them or anything about solo rates.  Any suggestions of how to do this?

Travel agent or next cruise on board.  Most of the ships have "studios"