Existing protocols extended indefinitely

nlktx49

8 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

At the end of the day, the cruise line will end up at the same point. If insanity is them taking the safest route to get there, so be it.

You may be correct....or not.  Unfortunately, 'Too big to fail' thinking is faulty thinking.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Stock price dropping daily, cruises available at rock bottom prices that are even lower than the week before cruising closed. You have to be ignoring the obvious to think that Carnival can keep rolling along at these numbers. 

The stock market tanked today before coming roaring back. The false profits have been wrong before. Some time ago, Carnival sold off the least profitable ships. Others kept some dinosaurs.

Carnival has said they will, and is prepared to, lose money the first half of the year. Then it is looking green. 

23 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Stock price dropping daily, cruises available at rock bottom prices that are even lower than the week before cruising closed. You have to be ignoring the obvious to think that Carnival can keep rolling along at these numbers. 

Indeed. I don't think any of the lines (or creditors who forked over HUGE some of money to keep things floating) ever imagined things would be this bad, for so long and that we'd still be dealing with this at this point. I think most of us thought things would be back to normal by now. Competing on a very unlevel playing field sure isn't doing them any favors, and the situation if about as far from rosy as you can get, even with rose colored glasses on and poms-poms in both hands. It's a steamy hot mess and summer will be make/break IMO.   

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 3

Most people live by their emotions in the moment. Never having to be accountable for a claim you made a while ago because it "felt right".

COVID is becoming less deadly. Cold weather is always the height of sick season. Most pandemics have ended around the 2 year mark.

It's pretty clear that Carnival isn't going to survive on a future of $25 cruises. However, it's also pretty clear that's not their everyday price/plan. They want you to come try out the product so you can finally realize it's not the "petri dish" Karen on the Facebook group told you it was.

• Like 3

Just now, BlerkOne said:

Carnival has cash on hand to survive at least another year and things will never be the old normal again.

The conspiracy theorists and don't tread on me bunch can huff and puff and whine all they want. Carnival knows what they are doing.

OK....sure...

I am now even more confident about my Feb 26th Panorama Cruise. Heck if people cancel it would mean less crowds and I won't hopefully have to contend with the crowd who does not support the policies.

Also if no one is in the cabin next to me I will ask my Cabin steward or Guest Services to open and remove the balcony partition for a larger balcony and see about bringing a lounger 

On 1/21/2022 at 10:55 AM, LHARTWICK said:

Same here for sure!!!  Only exception for us is I wish the testing protocol would end at some point, but it's probably here to stay for a while. I chuckled out loud at "We are not going to try to predict when this current situation will change" in the notice I received.   Hands up - we give!!!  🤷‍♀️  Bless their hearts!  I do appreciate all the lines are doing to just survive at this point.  They're in a tough spot.  We plan to keep our current reservations in place.  I'm sure quite a few will opt for the refund.  

How about move back the protocol to 3-5  days for vaccinated  and boosted passengers after Omicron pending no other variant exists and offer a $100 OBC thank you for following policies.

On 1/21/2022 at 3:55 PM, abby1257 said:

What is sip and cover?

A noun whereby maskers control the action. Take your mask off sip and put it back on in one tenth of a second. Failure to do this will result in our Facial and Mask recognition camera alert security!🤣

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, travelplus said:

How about move back the protocol to 3-5  days for vaccinated  and boosted passengers after Omicron pending no other variant exists and offer a $100 OBC thank you for following policies.

Certainly....the cruise lines are looking for additional ways to spend $$.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, travelplus said:

Also if no one is in the cabin next to me I will ask my Cabin steward or Guest Services to open and remove the balcony partition for a larger balcony and see about bringing a lounger 

Wil you be paying for the second cabin balcony's access or do you expect to use it for free?

12 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Wil you be paying for the second cabin balcony's access or do you expect to use it for free?

If they decline the free upgrade, wouldn't they get it for free along w/ OBC?  

Edited by bucfan2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

If everyone loves the protocols. shouldn't there be enough cruisers willing to put up with them to cruise? Cruising was at its height just before covid. The petri dish folks will never change their ignorant minds. 

Of course not everyone loves the protocols. Some people, (like me) would be completely fine without any of it. Some people say it's still not enough. Some people, want "action" as long as it has no impact on them. Some people, do like the protocols.

There is no such thing as a decision that makes everyone happy. No matter how much everyone thinks their choice is the most popular one. Carnival obviously wanted to set sail again. This was the path to least resistance. In the current sick season, I don't see them changing it. As time continues to march on, they will re-evaluate. I am interested to see what happens come summer time. I don't see it being the same. However, I have been wrong before.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 11:54 AM, Hockeydad1972 said:

When sitting at a bar on the Magic which I just got off of a few hours ago 99% of people seated at a bar were not masked at all.. Maybe other ships are different but this was not the case as of 12 hours ago.. Sip and cover was happening in theaters but never at the bars…

So in the Comedy club and theaters was someone walking down the isle making people put their mask back up after a drink or seated???   I am gonna have a hard time with that, I like to drink while watching those shows and I know I will be having fun and forget to  pull my mask back up!!!!   I HATE the mask rule, all the others I'm good with!!! 🍻

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CMOTO said:

So in the Comedy club and theaters was someone walking down the isle making people put their mask back up after a drink or seated???   I am gonna have a hard time with that, I like to drink while watching those shows and I know I will be having fun and forget to  pull my mask back up!!!!   I HATE the mask rule, all the others I'm good with!!! 🍻

On the Magic last week we did not hear one person asked to pull their mask up or put their mask on. Sitting at the bars or eating, majority were not masked nor were they doing sip and cover. Theaters somewhat sip and cover but not policed.

My wife and both said it seemed stricter in August then it did now. Use common sense and courtesy. When you're walking around inside with no food or beverage people had masks on.. Outside pretty much was a mixed bag of masks vs no masks. 

So essentially, there was not mask police out there policing whether you are masking properly..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2022 at 4:03 PM, sugcarol said:

Wear a mask, take a sip of drink than pull the mask up between sips. Same for dinjng

Ridiculous and a complete deal breaker for many, including us.

Keep in mind that the Cruise Critic community doesn't represent the vast majority of those that cruise lines would consider possible customers. We are the most loyal (And addicted). Many members would probably be willing to sacrifice a pinky finger in order to take a cruise. These never-ending protocols will definitely hurt Carnival's ability to fill ships by giving land-based options an advantage as they will be faster at eliminating masking and other requirements.   

• Like 8

5 hours ago, travelplus said:

After Omicron, if no other variant exist, why not end all changes and get back to normal?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Right now after 2 plus years of canceling and rebooking cruises on Carnival and the many hours in hold past as well as  (currently) on hold, it brings me pain to hear the on hold spiel.  After holding out hope we are throwing in the towel completely and if we ever did cruise again it will probably not be Carnival because I now associate them with Not Fun.  Canceling everything late 2022 and all of 2023.  

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Joebucks said:

It's pretty clear that Carnival isn't going to survive on a future of $25 cruises.

i think i only saw two offers for 25 dollar cruise over a three week period last year.  Since then all of my offers have been standard offers that just keep getting rolled over to a new expiry date.  I would be really interested to know how many people actually have these offers still coming in and if they are the "predominant pricing" out there or if its just being interpreted by those that do have them that its what Carnival is giving everyone.  

• Like 2

I have never recieved such an offer. I mean get offers from time to time but its rarely anything to pay attention to. Maybe this year I will be lucky enough to get some true offer that I will be willing to spend my money on.. will see 

17 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

i think i only saw two offers for 25 dollar cruise over a three week period last year.  Since then all of my offers have been standard offers that just keep getting rolled over to a new expiry date.  I would be really interested to know how many people actually have these offers still coming in and if they are the "predominant pricing" out there or if its just being interpreted by those that do have them that its what Carnival is giving everyone.  

You won't get them if you have something booked during the offer period(s). I've seen it reported that folks who canceled upcoming cruises have then received much lower prices afterwards, some within a few days or even the next day. It has caused some to rebook and take the chance. I did notice that they send offers that are valid (for me anyways) only for those periods in between currently book cruises.

It seems they are targeting for folks that can drive to the cruise ports and that want to take shorter cruises. Pack and go local options. They have locals offers for the cheapest rates, even cheaper if you let them pick the cabin within a category. This helps them out by limiting air travelers quarantine issues as people who drive to the ports can simply drive home without needing ancillary services and costing the lines money in the event passengers catch covid.

Shorter cruises also reduce onboard cases since most who catch covid will be done with their cruise if it's shorter 3 or 4 day. Makes sense fiscally IMO and is a smart move. Couple that with the cheaper $10 port-side tests and it makes less of a hassle for cruisers and reduces their need for costly ancillary services: hotel stays, food, airline change fees, reimbursements etc. Win-win for both parties.       

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1