Robocall from Princess?

cltnccruisers

I have never gotten a robocall from Princess or any cruise line.  Today I got 2 - first on my cell then on my landline.   They purport to be from Princess then launch into a notice that items in the medallion app have not been completed.  The call seems to have enough general knowledge to sound credible but gives no specifics.  It ends with an instruction to select '1' to acknowledge.

Fat chance.  The 'voice' sounded a heck of a lot like the one used for the infamous IRS and Social Security calls.  So I just hung up.  I'm green lane anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

I have never gotten a robocall from Princess or any cruise line.  Today I got 2 - first on my cell then on my landline.   They purport to be from Princess then launch into a notice that items in the medallion app have not been completed.  The call seems to have enough general knowledge to sound credible but gives no specifics.  It ends with an instruction to select '1' to acknowledge.

Fat chance.  The 'voice' sounded a heck of a lot like the one used for the infamous IRS and Social Security calls.  So I just hung up.  I'm green lane anyway.

I just got one and it was real, just to remind you of documents required and to 

download the app. They said if you’re in the green lane, you are ready to

go.  No worries…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I just got one and it was real, just to remind you of documents required and to 

download the app. They said if you’re in the green lane, you are ready to

go.  No worries…

I don't trust any robocalls no matter how harmless they may sound.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

For a while they had real reps calling to to help fill in missing pre-cruise information.

If they have switched to robocalls instead then the least they could do is have a human record it.

In either case it shouldn't be too difficult to link to some detail like the date of our upcoming sailing for credibility.

Edited by cltnccruisers
addition

3 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

it shouldn't be too difficult to link to some detail like the date of our upcoming sailing for credibility.

The only people that should be suspicious are those who don't have any bookings with Princess.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

The only people that should be suspicious are those who don't have any bookings with Princess.

Couldn't disagree more.  The "caller" had my cell and landline numbers.  There are several ways they could get those.  They don't have to come from Princess - but booking info as a means of verification would almost certainly have to come from Princess.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cltnccruisers said:

Couldn't disagree more.  The "caller" had my cell and landline numbers.  There are several ways they could get those.  They don't have to come from Princess - but booking info as a means of verification would almost certainly have to come from Princess.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they weren't asking you for any information other than to press 1 to confirm, correct? If so I'm not sure how that is suspicious or a scam.

2 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they weren't asking you for any information other than to press 1 to confirm, correct? If so I'm not sure how that is suspicious or a scam.

A lot of time pressing 1 can mean you agree to long distance charges/purchases or some such.

Don't do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

As a general rule any robocall that has you press any key should be automatically suspect.

My PVP has always been incredibly responsive so I emailed her to see if the calls are legit.

Edited by cltnccruisers

I got the same call an hour ago myself, and I do think it is from Princess Cruises.  I received similar calls prior to two 2021 cruises.  As someone still waiting for a functioning MedallionClass app, I was relieved to note that the verbiage was changed since the last call, removing the reminder that "if you do not complete the check-in using your MedallionClass app, you run the risk of being denied boarding at the terminal."

9 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

OK, our PVP confirmed the calls are legit.

Also, I did not have to push any numbers. My call came through as the phone Princess uses for enroute phone number in case of problems on your way to the port.  I knew it was s REAL princess number.

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Also, I did not have to push any numbers. My call came through as the phone Princess uses for enroute phone number in case of problems on your way to the port.  I knew it was s REAL princess number.

No number on either of mine.  No caller ID of any kind.  My PVP told me she got the calls for her own cruise in November and they get changed every now and then.

11 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

No number on either of mine.  No caller ID of any kind.  My PVP told me she got the calls for her own cruise in November and they get changed every now and then.

The only reason that it showed the Princess number, is that I saved the enroute Princess number in my iphone.

Anyway, I’m good with it.

Received same.  I have a program that translates message into words.  But still, you would think Princess would just you an email.  Oh...they did, once.  With an attachment that told me the steps I had to do to get on.  That was also alarming.

And to think that "I saw this on Mulberry Street".  None of it is important (filling out app).  Just take your documents with you.

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Received same.  I have a program that translates message into words.  But still, you would think Princess would just you an email.  Oh...they did, once.  With an attachment that told me the steps I had to do to get on.  That was also alarming.

And to think that "I saw this on Mulberry Street".  None of it is important (filling out app).  Just take your documents with you.

I don't mind being wrong in my reaction.  I would feel terrible if I didn't say anything and later found out it really was a scam and someone got burned.

But I still can't get over how amateurish it sounded.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

We always have hard copy with us.

My neighbor has a neat app on her phone.  She speaks no English.  I ran into her one day and started chatting.  She pulled out her iphone and opened an app that translated English to Mandarin and vice versa.  We chatted that way for about 15 minutes.  Reminded me of the universal translator from Star Trek.  🙂

• Like 2