LIVE Suite Review 1/30-2/6: A (Solo) Woman on the Edge

GenerationX

6 minutes ago, Buffett1964 said:

Gen X

Thank you for the review. I think you mentioned tipping earlier, with current protocols, do they permit cash tips at bars, cabin etc for extra good service currently . Even tho we pay tips included it has always been our custom to recognize those who go above and beyond. 

We were able to tip in cash last week on Reflection...gladly accepted by pool attendants, cabin steward and wait staff in the dining room.

I have read every one of your marvelous posts.  You may not be costing your husband extra $$ on your very unfortunately unsuccessful b2b attempt, but you will be costing me some $$.  I want a cabana and the Veuve Clicquot dinner.   Now, about those cabanas...Are they shaded all day long?  My husband will go for my idea to get one if I can sell him on the notion that he will be in the shade all day long.  The champagne won't be a selling point (yes, I married a man who cannot even speak French), but  shade for someone who once had red hair and who sunburns easily (even at night , I suspect) would seal the deal if my 42 years with him imparts any insight to this matter  guide at all.  Thanks so much.   I can't wait to see your evening gown.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Buffett1964 said:

Gen X

Thank you for the review. I think you mentioned tipping earlier, with current protocols, do they permit cash tips at bars, cabin etc for extra good service currently . Even tho we pay tips included it has always been our custom to recognize those who go above and beyond. 

I’ve added a single cash tip with every drink on the premium package.  With so few on board it’s the least I can do.  Service has been excellent.  

• Like 1

For anyone aboard, have they made any announcements about the number of positive cases this week?  We're scheduled to board on Sunday and are hoping (probably not very realistically) that this cruise will be below whatever the threshold is to go back to the "no masks onboard" rule.

Frederick

On 2/3/2022 at 8:36 AM, mfs2k said:

Hi, I reserved a 1/2 cabana for one day on my "Beyond" 9 night cruise in October with my wife. I assume you have 1/2 also?  What did you think of it? Would you do it again ?  I read complaints from people saying too much cross traffic and no view of the pool?  What were your firsthand impressions? (we like fruit skewers and cold water and being treated well by a cabana steward) 

Personally I wouldn't do it...UNLESS maybe I had a chunk of OBC to burn.

I find them to be in an odd place on Eclass.

Now, the ship was half full when we cruised--perhaps the cabanas would be more attractive when the ship is full.

THAT BEING SAID, GenX's review has me MUCH more tempted--at $150 with the champagne it could be a fun treat!

Edited by KKB

On 2/2/2022 at 10:17 PM, CruiseCrew123 said:

I would like to see a real life review  from an inside cabin rather than a ‘never going to happen ‘ suite . Far more realistic !!!!

I did do a cabin crawl on the Edge last summer. 

E class seems to have the biggest interior cabins I've ever seen (181-202 sq ft; and those 202 deluxe interiors are NOT much more than the regular ones).

They are pretty spacious. 

We pretty much use a room to sleep & shower; I have to get a pretty good deal on a better cabin to book it.

Edited by KKB
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, KKB said:

Personally I wouldn't do it...UNLESS maybe I had a chunk of OBC to burn.

I find them to be in an odd place on Eclass.

Now, the ship was half full when we cruised--perhaps the cabanas would be more attractive when the ship is full.

I have $900 OBC so I thought the cabana on one sea day might be nice. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Oh btw, a very sad update on my bid to my better half to turn this sailing into a b2b…I was not successful in getting him onboard with the idea.  Mostly I think due to me having the most terrible luck in my discussion timing…pro tip ladies:

Never try to sell your husband on spending thousands unexpectedly on a vacation, paying your house/pet sitter’s last minute booking rates and asking his boss for a week off work on 4 days’ notice when you’re drinking champagne on your veranda in 80 degree weather while he’s dealing with a winter storm power outage and just had to use a propane torch to thaw the deadbolt on your front door.  

He’ll take a moment to have a deep breath and collect himself and then he’ll speak nicely to you, because he loves you and after over a decade knowing each other he’s somewhat used to your antics and schemes.  But make no mistake, he will have no ear to entertain your nonsense.  None. What. So. Ever.  He will 100% expect you home on Sunday.  Period.

OH. MY. GOODNESS.

We are CLEARLY related.

This is EXACTLY something I would try...I am notorious for the tipsy "let's stay ONE more day in Vegas" on our last day. When he is with me he is usually onboard if he can swing it.

I am ALWAYS about ONE more day...one more week...keep vaca going!!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Good evening from the Sunset Bar!

I just wanted to check in and let you guys know that I haven’t forgotten you!

My morning in Roatan and afternoon of Miami Vices at the Retreat pool really took it out of me today. I was dozing off during my balcony wine and book date (with more yummy surprises from Anastasiia).  

I’ve managed to pull myself together for my dinner in Rooftop Garden, but afterwards I think my night will consist of a brief set of live music in Eden followed by a long bubble bath doing some catch up post writing!

Oh btw, a very sad update on my bid to my better half to turn this sailing into a b2b…I was not successful in getting him onboard with the idea.  Mostly I think due to me having the most terrible luck in my discussion timing…pro tip ladies:

Never try to sell your husband on spending thousands unexpectedly on a vacation, paying your house/pet sitter’s last minute booking rates and asking his boss for a week off work on 4 days’ notice when you’re drinking champagne on your veranda in 80 degree weather while he’s dealing with a winter storm power outage and just had to use a propane torch to thaw the deadbolt on your front door.  

He’ll take a moment to have a deep breath and collect himself and then he’ll speak nicely to you, because he loves you and after over a decade knowing each other he’s somewhat used to your antics and schemes.  But make no mistake, he will have no ear to entertain your nonsense.  None. What. So. Ever.  He will 100% expect you home on Sunday.  Period.

It’s quite windy this evening and I’m a little worried that my salad at Rooftop may blow overboard.  But I’ve already moved this dinner once and I don’t want to do it again. If anyone has any hookups with Captain Tasos and can quickly text him on the bridge and ask him to slow it down a few knots so that I can properly enjoy my dinner, that would be much appreciated! More to come tonight from the Edge!

A7C9319E-8042-4E7B-9BCF-3EABAC827BF2.thumb.jpeg.b1668d9234d43050a792c26d6cd14531.jpeg

249EED96-5117-4BB2-8D16-937EFB73A393.thumb.jpeg.ac60f0e885c8e6bb522d95db696a8713.jpeg

1A39ECF6-1A05-4DDC-B965-D6C34E19DB93.thumb.jpeg.793523ecda0f06fc51654bd5a06202bb.jpeg

C0E0ABEF-E214-41B5-9324-A5EA2B4DEE17.thumb.jpeg.9e4e24a45a37237f91bd1567859c9bab.jpeg

...and why on earth did you leave him home?  To watch the dog?

LOL.

My wife forgot to reserve the dog sitter for our upcoming cruise and it was almost a problem!!!

Now, I think you owe the guy a vacation he can go with you~

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, TPCRUISER2 said:

Well just caught up on your review! You are my kinda Lady! Not sure I could keep up with you! Sure would be fun trying! 

How was that Prosecco rose?

BTW, Twangster very popular over at Royal Caribbean for all his cruise reviews!

Thank you!  The Veuve rose was very good.  It went down almost too easily! Perfect for a poolside and seaside afternoon though!

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 9:36 AM, mfs2k said:

Hi, I reserved a 1/2 cabana for one day on my "Beyond" 9 night cruise in October with my wife. I assume you have 1/2 also?  What did you think of it? Would you do it again ?  I read complaints from people saying too much cross traffic and no view of the pool?  What were your firsthand impressions? (we like fruit skewers and cold water and being treated well by a cabana steward) 

So sorry I’m just getting back to you! At post #242 I’ve done a write up now of my full thoughts on the cabana experience.  Long post short: I liked it and would do it again at the 1/2 cabana price ($150) but probably not spend the $300 for a full cabana.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone. I'm going to keep the GenX effort of good will going, but my focus will be on safety rather than everything else since I'm in the field of public health, although it might be difficult to avoid chiming in on the subtle nuances of this new ship experience. I'm starting now because Sara and I officially tested negative for Covid, so we will be boarding on Sunday.  Here are some details.

1. We did our test at a CVS testing station near West Palm Beach, which we booked about a week in advance. I tried booking through Walgreens, but it was way more complicated. CVS was simple and there were plenty of sites and times available. We checked in at 9:30 a.m. today, and they reported results back to us in 90 minutes via text. We show the text at check-in on Sunday. Easy peasy and free.

2. So you might be wondering how it's possible that Covid is on a ship when everyone on the ship is vaccinated with a verified negative test up to 48 hours prior to sailing? I can only speculate, but here's what I see and know. The crew is an unlikely source since they basically aren't allowed off the ship, so it's a constant flow of new passengers likely transporting it onboard. But how can that happen? My intuition tells me that it's likely the 48 hour time window between testing and boarding. I'm living that right now, and there's nothing stopping anyone from being reckless and acquiring the virus in that time window; which can also happen through a random non-reckless exposure. An alternative source of virus is people who carry the virus with them to the testing station but test negative 48 hours prior, and then shed enough virus during the cruise to test positive. I don't see any way the cruise line can avoid either from happening; all I know is that the risk is much lower on the ship than off of it.

3. So why is a public health professional getting on a cruise ship given the CDC guidance? Our friends and relative are asking us the same question. The short answer is that the calculated statistical risk of acquiring Covid on a ship like the Edge is a tiny fraction of the risk of acquiring it in the Chicago area where we live. We currently go into restaurants and shop for food and other items -- masked up of course; but none of those places confirm in advance that the other people in the room have tested negative and are vaccinated. The ship has far more stringent entrance protocols than just about any place you're going on land -- including a hospital. 

I'll let you know what I see once we get to the terminal and on the ship.

In the interim, I'm going to continue enjoying reading the wonderful review of GenX.

Jay

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, fsdorado said:

For anyone aboard, have they made any announcements about the number of positive cases this week?  We're scheduled to board on Sunday and are hoping (probably not very realistically) that this cruise will be below whatever the threshold is to go back to the "no masks onboard" rule.

Frederick

So far I have only heard the announcement of 1 positive passenger case and that was on the second day.  I did hear a rumor that if there are positive crew cases, those aren’t being announced (and I think those do count towards mask rule and the percentage at which ports turn ships away).  If anyone else can confirm/deny any of the above, please jump in!

1 hour ago, KKB said:

OH. MY. GOODNESS.

We are CLEARLY related.

This is EXACTLY something I would try...I am notorious for the tipsy "let's stay ONE more day in Vegas" on our last day. When he is with me he is usually onboard if he can swing it.

I am ALWAYS about ONE more day...one more week...keep vaca going!!

So what I’m hearing is we need to plan a cruise together.   But definitely bring the husbands with us so we don’t end up feeding into each other unchecked and turning it into a b2b2b2b!

Edited by GenerationX
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

So sorry I’m just getting back to you! At post #242 I’ve done a write up now of my full thoughts on the cabana experience.  Long post short: I liked it and would do it again at the 1/2 cabana price ($150) but probably not spend the $300 for a full cabana.

Thank you! 

16 hours ago, GenerationX said:

On the whole I was personally happy with the experience and found it very relaxing and would book it again at the $150 price point.

Great info about the cabanas and happy with our decision to book the 1/2 cabana also.  Seems worth it just for the shade, a day at sea not having to fret about where to sit, and the bottle of Veuve. 

4 hours ago, quicklabs said:

I have read every one of your marvelous posts.  You may not be costing your husband extra $$ on your very unfortunately unsuccessful b2b attempt, but you will be costing me some $$.  I want a cabana and the Veuve Clicquot dinner.   Now, about those cabanas...Are they shaded all day long?  My husband will go for my idea to get one if I can sell him on the notion that he will be in the shade all day long.  The champagne won't be a selling point (yes, I married a man who cannot even speak French), but  shade for someone who once had red hair and who sunburns easily (even at night , I suspect) would seal the deal if my 42 years with him imparts any insight to this matter  guide at all.  Thanks so much.   I can't wait to see your evening gown.

Thank you for following.  I would say my cabana was in shade for most of the “pool day”.  I got there around 9:30am to settle in and as the sun was making its way up there was I’d say a third of the sitting area that was in sun for about an hour.  During the lunch time and early afternoon complete shade. I think I left for the day around 5 and it was still in shade.  I’d assume what part of the day it gets partial sun will depend on where the ship is and which way it’s sailing, but there was never a point when I was there at least where there was no shade in the cabana.

Also maybe a selling point in your pitch to the man of the house, the cabana butlers offered me unlimited cold towels and cool Evian face/body spritzes upon request any time and as many as I wanted.  We hadn’t hit full Caribbean temps when I did it so I didn’t really need them, but in the near 90 degree temps we have in Cozumel today, if I had a cabana I’d be taking heavy advantage of that perk!

14 hours ago, MarKay525 said:

Thanks for the great info about the cabanas. I've read conflicting reports on who "owns" the chairs that are right along the glass railing. Some people thought they were a part of the cabana rentals. Others reported anyone could sit in these chairs. (They can be seen in the far background in your fantastic photos.) Kay

Hi Kay! So no one ever sat in the chairs across from my cabana but I got the sense they were for general use.  I saw a gentleman walk by with his book and settle into one of those with his book across from an unoccupied cabana and the butlers didn’t ask him to move.  I noticed he made a point to find a chair across from one that was unoccupied though. I don’t think he wanted me chugging my champagne and leering at him (I would’ve been looking at the ocean not him, but still) while he read his Michael Crichton.

5 hours ago, twangster said:

I’ve added a single cash tip with every drink on the premium package.  With so few on board it’s the least I can do.  Service has been excellent.  

I agree, the service has been so fantastic and I’m sure the crew are taking a financial hit with so few onboard.

I also found out that for the specialty restaurants that I booked in advance with OBC (so no charge to my account), I could ask them to still give me a check for the meal that showed no cover charge but had a line where I could add a gratuity to be charged to my room.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Buffett1964 said:

Gen X

Yes, cash tips have been permitted and I think very much appreciated.  I also always reward great service above and beyond the included gratuities.  I did pack a box of small envelopes and keep some in my purse to put my cash tips in to try and keep things a little more sanitary (my doctor friends tell me cash is a germ factory even COVID aside). I think guest services is also happy to give you envelopes for cash tips. But it’s not required.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, miched said:

Nice point of view.  Thanks for taking the time for writing and posting.  I can see where it makes more sense than booking a tour to go to a beach and spending the same amount or more and not  getting the same service or perks 

Looks like a great value and will definitely book a day on our next cruise that is on the Apex 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thanks for the great idea; I never thought of it like that but definitely something I will consider on future trips. 

59 minutes ago, dateacher said:

Thank you so much. I am enjoying this immensely.  I think you should arrange a cruise tour for your followers.  I want to hang with you on my next cruise.

Thank you for the amazing compliment!!!!

I don’t know that I have enough ego to plan a GenX cruise!  (This is where my husband would probably jump in and say “Woman what are you talking about? The only thing you love more than cruising is planning a party. A “you” themed party cruise is definitely something you’d do!”)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

Hi Kay! So no one ever sat in the chairs across from my cabana but I got the sense they were for general use.  I saw a gentleman walk by with his book and settle into one of those with his book across from an unoccupied cabana and the butlers didn’t ask him to move.  I noticed he made a point to find a chair across from one that was unoccupied though. I don’t think he wanted me chugging my champagne and leering at him (I would’ve been looking at the ocean not him, but still) while he read his Michael Crichton.

Are the chairs also mostly in the shade all day?

Thanks - and thanks so much for taking the time from your vacation to keep us all so informed and entertained.

I never wanted to sail "E" class because of the lack of real balconies but you have definitely changed my mind!

• Like 1

Life is oh so good on the Retreat sundeck my friends.  After my excursion in Cozumel this morning I popped by the room to wash off the salt water then changed to a fresh swimsuit and coverup to have lunch with one of my fellow lady solo cruisers on the Retreat Sundeck. The chicken sandwich is so good by the way. The grilled onion and basil aioli make it.  Next time I’ll ask for an extra side of that aioli for my fries!  

Since lunch I’ve been swimming and sunning and letting Renato my favorite Retreat pool server spoil me with T&T’s while watching my friends at home post pics of rulers in the snow on their patio furniture.

Before I go back and talk about Honduras and dinner yesterday, I’m trying to take some time to be sure I’ve responded to any questions people have posted for me thus far. I was blown away to see this review has gotten to 11 pages long already!  I did my best to catch everything but if you had a question that I haven’t gotten to, please do feel free to post it again and I’ll definitely respond and I apologize for missing you.

My champagne dinner tonight is an early 6pm start time so I’ll be heading down early for abbreviated veranda book and wine time.  I also want to try and get in a little time on the Magic Carpet before dinner.  I tried to go for a pre-dinner cocktail last night at sea but the wind was so ridiculous I couldn’t even cross the threshold without doing a full Marilyn Monroe on the subway grate.

F2B1A4B6-3AC6-4032-B203-FEAA3B6E8EBC.thumb.jpeg.513c221fb96bae4de6e7a52f04db2cdd.jpeg

B79B5016-62C1-4D0D-8D4E-A8B6B51F062F.thumb.jpeg.a9a287f4e690bd4bda22d6d5235127d4.jpeg

• Like 7