Question about time in Bermuda on Mariner

mafig

Just in case you're not aware - Bermuda has some of the strictest rules for people coming via cruise ships. If I'm remembering right they require a PCR before and then you have to get vetted to be approved and the cost for that includes another test when you get to Bermuda. It has to be no more than 4 days before you arrive in Bermuda, so pretty much any itinerary that doesn't stop at Bermuda first would require testing on board...which I don't see Royal wanting to do. 

Yes, it's months away, but looking at May sailings is not as far away as you'd think. 

4 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Yes, limited cruises to Bermuda out of Florida. Our previous cruises to Bermuda were out of Bayonne and one was out of Boston. Very excited to book Mariner in October out of Port Canaveral, we can drive to port instead of having to fly. 

Remember that Hamilton is pretty much closed on Sundays. Not sure if either date will have you there.  I like May and early June (prior to school being out).  The water isn't all that warm though.

Both times I've cruised to Bermuda have been October and November. We had a rainy day on the October trip but beautiful weather in November. We may have just gotten lucky so far. We also didn't travel further south either. We'll be on the Mariner to Bermuda this August. Cant wait! We LOVE Bermuda. 

Hope you find the one that works best for you! 

~T

1 minute ago, JHU said:

Remember that Hamilton is pretty much closed on Sundays. Not sure if either date will have you there.  I like May and early June (prior to school being out).  The water isn't all that warm though.

Water will probably be too cold for us, but my husband is interested in playing golf there.

I've been to Bermuda as early as mid June (very hot) and as late as early November (very windy).  Rough sailings and smooth sailings.  YMMV.

I was at King's Wharf aboard Nordic Empress during a [pre] Tropical Storm.

http://hurricanecentral.freeservers.com/Prelim_Reports/2001_Karen.htm

"Sustained winds to near hurricane strength with wind gusts ranging from 90 to 98 mph were officially reported on Bermuda. A gust to 118 mph was reported by the cruise ship Nordic Empress anchored in a harbor on the west side of Bermuda at around 2317 UTC 11 October, when the low was near its closest approach to the island."  We were docked, not anchored.  Tug boats were holding us against the dock throughout the storm.

"Three cruise ships weathered the storm in St. George Harbor without receiving any significant damage. However, the strong winds ripped out the bollard (a post for fastening mooring lines) from the wharf and snapped a three-inch mooring line, which resulted in the Norwegian Majesty cruise ship being set adrift in the harbor. One crew member suffered minor abrasions, but no passengers were injured."

Edited by Another_Critic

38 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Just in case you're not aware - Bermuda has some of the strictest rules for people coming via cruise ships. If I'm remembering right they require a PCR before and then you have to get vetted to be approved and the cost for that includes another test when you get to Bermuda. It has to be no more than 4 days before you arrive in Bermuda, so pretty much any itinerary that doesn't stop at Bermuda first would require testing on board...which I don't see Royal wanting to do. 

Yes, it's months away, but looking at May sailings is not as far away as you'd think. 

I do recalll reading that.  I was hoping that perhaps things would change by May.  I've been watching these cruises for quite a while, but have not booked, because of what you posted, in addition to other concerns I have.  Doesn''t seem to bother others though, as these cruises are filling up pretty fast.

56 minutes ago, mafig said:

I do recalll reading that.  I was hoping that perhaps things would change by May.  I've been watching these cruises for quite a while, but have not booked, because of what you posted, in addition to other concerns I have.  Doesn''t seem to bother others though, as these cruises are filling up pretty fast.

I'm normally not one to care that much about itinerary changes, but at least when I looked a while ago the Bermuda cruises were a lot of $$$ more than a Caribbean one. So it'd suck to book it at the higher price and then have Royal bail if Bermuda doesn't change it's policy. 

I'm guessing a lot don't realize how strict Bermuda is being and think they are like the Caribbean islands? 

• Like 1

This is an interesting read for all thinking of booking a Mariner cruise to Bermuda:  https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

Though this may all change by spring, these requirements are not really more onerous than what we experienced to get on Adventure's June '21 first cruises out of Nassau.   It was well worth the extra effort; so we will continue looking forward to sailing Mariner in May to Bermuda. 

• Thanks 1

Well, step 4 looks to be a pain.  I don't see how the entire ship can be checked and then wait for email results upon docking in Bermuda.  That, I would think, would take hours.

Probably doesn't make any difference now between the two cruises.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mafig said:

Well, step 4 looks to be a pain.  I don't see how the entire ship can be checked and then wait for email results upon docking in Bermuda.  That, I would think, would take hours.

Probably doesn't make any difference now between the two cruises.

I agree.  We are currently booked on Summit 6/26 Bermuda, and not wanting to play the waiting game between now and final payment to see if these requirements change, will probably rebook to a different itinerary altogether and revisit this later in the year.  Or perhaps next year as Celebrity's last Bermuda itinerary on Summit is July 31 of this year.

Fortunately in our case we have done this itinerary (and others to Bermuda) a number of times in the past and, although it is one we enjoy a lot, it is more a cruise of convenience based on being able to make a short term decision and drive to the port.  But if this was our first opportunity with Bermuda, this situation would be quite disappointing.

Hope you can work it out favorably.

10 hours ago, gadaboutgal said:

This is an interesting read for all thinking of booking a Mariner cruise to Bermuda:  https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

Though this may all change by spring, these requirements are not really more onerous than what we experienced to get on Adventure's June '21 first cruises out of Nassau.   It was well worth the extra effort; so we will continue looking forward to sailing Mariner in May to Bermuda. 

This was one of the main reasons why we chose the August itinerary. If things don't change by then, more than just itineraries will be sunk.

Well count me as one that didn't know about these hoops.  Mine is not until October but might have to re-think it if things don't change before final payment date  I imagine we will hear more about this if the restrictions are still there when May rolls around

Edited by molly361

4 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Well count me as one that didn't know about these hoops.  Mine is not until October but might have to re-think it if things don't change before final payment date

Fortunately in your case you have a lot of time to see what happens. It is my hope that behind the scenes the cruise lines are trying to find a compromise solution with the Bermuda government.  I am also optimistic that by the summer this may change on its own.  But as mentioned in my previous response, the timeline between now and our final payment is drawing closer so we probably won't wait it out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SECdawg said:

Does Royal have anything posted about the protocols for Bermuda? We are scheduled to go in May. Final payment is early April, so we will have to decide by then.

I am not seeing anything specific to Bermuda - just the current general requirements for departing from US ports.  What has been happening in the past is, as this situation is very fluid, they don't know the actual final port of call entry requirements for a given cruise until 30 days prior to departure, hence the delayed final payment terms enacted several months ago. 

Likely the only real option you have - as you suggest - is to wait until just before final payment date to see what is released at that time and make a final go / no go decision then. 

My hope is that as most Bermuda itineraries don't commence for a couple of months yet, the cruise lines are in discussion with Bermuda on a compromise testing protocol that would be more doable for the passengers while still complying with the wishes of the Bermuda government. Hopefully by then things will haver relaxed enough to make this easier.  Just have to wait and see.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
additional info

On 1/26/2022 at 11:37 AM, mafig said:

One other consideration is cost $$$$.  The 15th is more money.....I was looking for a JS and they seem to be sold out on the 15th.  

You might want to consider a regular balcony. I'm booked on the 15th and there was a major price drop (for most cabins anyway), Our balcony dropped $860 and there was an OBC of $50 added. People are reporting similar or bigger price drops for the 7th cruise.

Why not book both legs!!??

14 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I am not seeing anything specific to Bermuda - just the current general requirements for departing from US ports.  What has been happening in the past is, as this situation is very fluid, they don't know the actual final port of call entry requirements for a given cruise until 30 days prior to departure, hence the delayed final payment terms enacted several months ago. 

Likely the only real option you have - as you suggest - is to wait until just before final payment date to see what is released at that time and make a final go / no go decision then. 

My hope is that as most Bermuda itineraries don't commence for a couple of months yet, the cruise lines are in discussion with Bermuda on a compromise testing protocol that would be more doable for the passengers while still complying with the wishes of the Bermuda government. Hopefully by then things will haver relaxed enough to make this easier.  Just have to wait and see.

You do know that NCL has been sailing to Bermuda for months under these restrictions, right? And at least one other line. I dunno if I would pin hopes on a cruise-only compromise when Bermuda already has ships that are complying with it. 

On 1/26/2022 at 6:11 PM, smplybcause said:

I'm normally not one to care that much about itinerary changes, but at least when I looked a while ago the Bermuda cruises were a lot of $$$ more than a Caribbean one. So it'd suck to book it at the higher price and then have Royal bail if Bermuda doesn't change it's policy. 

I'm guessing a lot don't realize how strict Bermuda is being and think they are like the Caribbean islands? 

There were major price reductions on this cruise. You might want to check again.

27 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

You do know that NCL has been sailing to Bermuda for months under these restrictions, right? And at least one other line. I dunno if I would pin hopes on a cruise-only compromise when Bermuda already has ships that are complying with it. 

It's not a matter of what any cruise line is doing with their sailings, nor am I pinning any hopes on a compromise.  I am just expressing an opinion based on my perception of the difficulties for passengers with requiring a PCR test and prior written approval from the Bermuda government pre-boarding and the need to remain on board awaiting results of a second test upon arrival in Bermuda.   

As long as this remains in place we will postpone our planned June cruise - just too cumbersome to us. We have been fortunate to have traveled and cruised there many times in the past, so postponing our current plans won't be an issue for us.  But I am hoping that things ease up by then and that discussions with the cruise lines would result in simpler protocols.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind
correction