How is Celebrity handling Bermuda testing requirements?

LB_NJ

I don't think anyone knows what the testing requirements will be when Celebrity starts sailing to Bermuda this Spring. You will have to wait for the answer. Testing requirements are changing monthly in some areas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ricflyer said:

I don't think anyone knows what the testing requirements will be when Celebrity starts sailing to Bermuda this Spring. You will have to wait for the answer. Testing requirements are changing monthly in some areas. 

Problem is final payment is due BEFORE the testing requirements are final.  I KNOW the contract says the cruise company can change ports however, really don't want to pay for a Bermuda cruise and end up in the Caribbean in late spring/summer.

If history is a guide, last year:  Celebrity did not have a ship go to Bermuda. Not sure about Royal.  NCL had a very large ship, so you can check what they did. I was on Crystal (170 passengers, about 900 capacity).  We had free PCR tests on board; folks from Bermuda administered, and were taken off the ship with the samples the afternoon that we approached Bermuda.  We were given the all clear late that evening, and the ship docked about 8 am the next day; we were free to visit on our own.  No idea what this year will look like. 

• Thanks 1

The Summit is making many ‘runs’ to Bermuda, and a number of TransAtlantic’s stop in Bermuda all 2022 So should be interesting to see how it all works 

One of the reason I picked my TA on the Edge was the stop in Bermuda, and I’d Hate it to be changed to Nassau, a port I don’t get off the ship in. Will just wait it out and see I have until Oct ‘22

den

• Like 2

As of now Bermuda also requires you to submit 1 to 3 days before arrival a travel authorization request

along with needing a negative PCR

We cancelled our May 13th cruise on the Summit as we weren’t scheduled to arrive in Bermuda until day 6 and weren’t sure how we would be able

to the meet the necessary requirements.  I didn’t want

to pay for Bermuda and end up in the Bahamas

Edited by Elainemh

Celebrity is testing onboard prior to arrivals back for those travelers who needed COVID testing to fly home or go on another cruise, B2B, so not sure why this is an issue, except the obvious of you fail a test.

Is the issue we think Bermuda will stop a ship from arriving if anyone onboard tested positive even if kept aboard and isolated? Or would we think its just worrying that we’d test positive and be stuck. 

Den

The testing for those requiring tests to fly is being moved from on board to at the pier after debarkation.  The testing for those doing B2B or moving to another ship in the Royal Group is still being done on board. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elainemh said:

As of now Bermuda also requires you to submit 1 to 3 days before arrival a travel authorization request

along with needing a negative PCR

We cancelled our May 13th cruise on the Summit as we weren’t scheduled to arrive in Bermuda until day 6 and weren’t sure how we would be able

to the meet the necessary requirements.  I didn’t want

to pay for Bermuda and end up in the Bahamas

We also are booked for May 13 and hoping with final payment extended that more will be known by then.

Laura

On 1/27/2022 at 4:18 PM, LB_NJ said:

Problem is final payment is due BEFORE the testing requirements are final.  I KNOW the contract says the cruise company can change ports however, really don't want to pay for a Bermuda cruise and end up in the Caribbean in late spring/summer.

That's the risk you take by cruising now. So, if you are uncomfortable with that, you should cancel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 8:00 AM, Bo1953 said:

23 May Bermuda sailing, if the ship sails, so do I...

See y'all aboard, who will still sail.

bo voyage

We're sailing with you. As of today still planning on going. I need to cruise.

• Like 1

The issue with Bermuda is those of us who are doing a B2B with Bermuda on the second cruise won't be able to comply with Bermuda's requirements.  My question, which I can't seem to get an answer to, is:  will we be denied boarding for the second leg because of the lack of required paperwork?  If so, there is no refund.  I want to know this before final payment.  Cannot get a straight answer from the travel agent.

4 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The issue with Bermuda is those of us who are doing a B2B with Bermuda on the second cruise won't be able to comply with Bermuda's requirements.  My question, which I can't seem to get an answer to, is:  will we be denied boarding for the second leg because of the lack of required paperwork?  If so, there is no refund.  I want to know this before final payment.  Cannot get a straight answer from the travel agent.

On Crystal there were people on back to back cruises to Bermuda and the procedure was sorted out without difficulty.   Hope that's the same for you. It seems unlikely Celebrity will charge you for a cruise they can't deliver. 

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Did Celebrity provide a response?

On 1/27/2022 at 5:01 PM, dcbiker97 said:

Unfortunately, everyone taking a cruise right now has that exact same issue.

Incorrect.  Not every cruise has this same issue.  The issue raised by the OP is the current particular entry requirements of Bermuda, which are significantly different than most current US based departures ports of call.  This was not the case, as example, on our two recent Caribbean itineraries in October and December.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Part of my concern is that on some Celebrity cruises they stop somewhere else first before they go to Bermuda.

What is your concern with that?  The entry requirements of Bermuda will have no effect on any other port of call previous to them, and I don't see what impact stopping at another port of call first would have on entry to Bermuda.  As long as you comply with their entry requirements I would think that is all that would matter to Bermuda.

• Thanks 1

The problem is that the May 4th and May 13th cruises don’t arrive to Bermuda until day 7.

PCR test must be no more than 4 days before arrival.

Cruise ship travel authorization must be submitted 3 days before arrival.

These requirements are going to be difficult to complete while at sea.

Will Celebrity offer on board testing and free internet to enable the

passengers to meet these requirements?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elainemh said:

The problem is that the May 4th and May 13th cruises don’t arrive to Bermuda until day 7.

PCR test must be no more than 4 days before arrival.

Cruise ship travel authorization must be submitted 3 days before arrival.

These requirements are going to be difficult to complete while at sea.

Will Celebrity offer on board testing and free internet to enable the

passengers to meet these requirements?

Which part will be difficult to meet?

Can not testing be completed at the last port stop, unless on a TA?

24 hour internet is not that expensive, especially if sharing with a few other passengers who also, presumably, will need to submit docs.

Tricky? Yes.  One approach? Yes?

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Bo

You ask what will be difficult is time frame of the requirements

May 4th and May13th Cruise I believe our tender port of Newport, RI will be too early for the PCR test.

Charleston, SC may be doable, but can Charleston handle all the passengers that will need to be tested. Even scheduling in advance 

won’t guarantee that your appt won’t be cancelled.

Edited by Elainemh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Which part will be difficult to meet?

Can not testing be completed at the last port stop, unless on a TA?

24 hour internet is not that expensive, especially if sharing with a few other passengers who also, presumably, will need to submit docs.

Tricky? Yes.  One approach? Yes?

bon voyage

Most places can't handle 2000+ people showing up for a PCR test at the same time all wanting 24-hour turnaround.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Most places can't handle 2000+ people showing up for a PCR test at the same time all wanting 24-hour turnaround.

Quite correct, yet with an appointment, which may or may not be honoured, one is surely able to have the test.

Also, a proctored test most likely would work on-board vis-a-vis eMed.

In health and bon voyage