HOU Airport to Galveston?

Dragoncruiser22

Hi All,

Taking our first RCI cruise in TEN YEARS this April, very very excited! We are sailing on the Liberty out of Galveston so will be flying into Houston the day before. I had a quick look and it appears there is a train, but it's not from the airport and takes 3 hours so the other options are a bus and an Uber.

Because we have a 3 year old, I'm guessing Uber isn't really an option without a child seat. I looked up bus/shuttle options and wasn't sure if there is a public style bus system or if you have to book a shuttle (minibus).

For people who have done it before, what would you recommend?

Edited by Dragoncruiser22

Hi Dragoncruiser22.

CruiseCritic has a board for discussing Gulf Coast departure ports including Galveston,  you should check it out, lots of good information including advice on getting to port from the airport. I found it very useful.

(I wouldn't be surprised if your post gets moved from the RC board to the Gulf Coast Departures board.)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/316-gulf-coast-departures/

Edited to add there are two major airports in Houston, so be sure to find information specific to your airport. 

Edited by SG65CB
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

Hi Dragoncruiser22.

CruiseCritic has a board for discussing Gulf Coast departure ports including Galveston,  you should check it out, lots of good information including advice on getting to port from the airport. I found it very useful.

(I wouldn't be surprised if your post gets moved from the RC board to the Gulf Coast Departures board.)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/316-gulf-coast-departures/

Edited to add there are two major airports in Houston, so be sure to find information specific to your airport. 

Thank you, I must have missed that and confess I did a quick search but don't come here too often so didnt see that.

MODS: If you need to move this thread please do so and accept my apologies.

2 hours ago, Dragoncruiser22 said:

Thank you, I must have missed that

No problem, just wanted to make sure you found it. 

By the way, I flew into Hobby for a cruise in Galveston in 2020. We took an Uber from the airport to our hotel which was on Galveston island. We used an Uber XL with 4 people and 8 suitcases. I don't remember the price but it was reasonable. 

Many Uber drivers carry child seats, you might even be able to specify you need one when you request a ride. 

For the return to the airport after the cruise we booked with Galveston Limousine (galvestonlimo.com) for a bus ride from the ship to the airport. They give you a reserved time and meet you in the parking lot when you get off the ship. Very easy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, puerto penasco lady said:

I spend the night at a hotel at the airport.  Take hotel shuttle back to the terminal the morning of the cruise and use the Royal Caribbean shuttle to the port.  Easy and inexpensive transportation.

100% this. Uber/car service/taxi pricing is pretty steep from IAH (and HOU) to Galveston, and there's tons of construction and potential for traffic on the highway. The cruise line transfer is easy and brainless. 

Edited by AstoriaPreppy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Dragoncruiser22 said:

Hi All,

Taking our first RCI cruise in TEN YEARS this April, very very excited! We are sailing on the Liberty out of Galveston so will be flying into Houston the day before. I had a quick look and it appears there is a train, but it's not from the airport and takes 3 hours so the other options are a bus and an Uber.

Because we have a 3 year old, I'm guessing Uber isn't really an option without a child seat. I looked up bus/shuttle options and wasn't sure if there is a public style bus system or if you have to book a shuttle (minibus).

When you say train, are you referring to the Amtrak? If so, I would never consider that to be a suitable transportation option to the Port of Galveston. I would follow the advice of those suggesting to take the Royal shuttle from the airport if you have concerns about taking a 3 year old in an Uber. Though, I would rather pay the Uber than wait on the shuttle as it would be more convenient. Question though, is a car seat not required for a 3 year old if they are riding on a shuttle bus?

• Like 1

In December we had You First Limousine pick us up at the airport and transport us to our hotel in Galveston and they were wonderful to work with. The driver met us at the airport and we walked to the car parked very close by. Vehicle was new and clean and driver made me feel very safe. They transported us from the port back to the airport at the end of our cruise.  I recommend them highly. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Saltwater moms, google them. I'm betting they can accommodate you with a car seat if they are moms. Good rep. 

Some on cc said these moms are not licensed and insured to operate a ride-for-hire business operation.

3 hours ago, wolfcathorse said:

I used Galveston Express from Hobby.

I used Galveston Express in December, for the Liberty to Hobby. I had a good experience with them. It seemed as if the other companies really despise them, for some reason.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dragoncruiser22 said:

Because we have a 3 year old, I'm guessing Uber isn't really an option without a child seat.

Why are you flying without the carseat?  A child that small isn't safe with a lap-only belt like in an airplane.

Take the carseat and keep the kid in a nice and safe five-point harness.  The carseat can go in your closet on the ship.  

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 8:29 AM, Dragoncruiser22 said:

Hi All,

There is no passenger train service to Galveston and hasn't been for decades.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 6:44 AM, brillohead said:

Why are you flying without the carseat?  A child that small isn't safe with a lap-only belt like in an airplane.

Take the carseat and keep the kid in a nice and safe five-point harness.  The carseat can go in your closet on the ship.  

You cant use a regular car set on a plane. Only boosters

• Like 1

Hi All,

When we cruised out of Galveston, for our group of seven it was cheaper for us to rent a van at the airport and park it for week than anything else. 😀

On 1/28/2022 at 8:20 PM, homedepot124 said:

We have cruised out of Galveston several times and have always used the cruise line transfers with no problems or issues. 

I'm not booking all inclusive (booking flights separately). In that case how do I book the shuttle? Just contract RCI directly?

On 1/28/2022 at 8:30 PM, Scottee25 said:

When you say train, are you referring to the Amtrak? If so, I would never consider that to be a suitable transportation option to the Port of Galveston. I would follow the advice of those suggesting to take the Royal shuttle from the airport if you have concerns about taking a 3 year old in an Uber. Though, I would rather pay the Uber than wait on the shuttle as it would be more convenient. Question though, is a car seat not required for a 3 year old if they are riding on a shuttle bus?

It's a good question. For the ship shuttle bus that is a motor coach then no, but for an airport shuttle like a minibus then yes it is required. I will likely just buy a booster seat as she is tall enough for those now.

Thanks for the reply.

On 1/29/2022 at 6:44 AM, brillohead said:

You make a good point. For the plane a carseat is not allowed, so I am looking into getting a booster seat that will double up for the plane and travelling.

Edited by Dragoncruiser22

14 hours ago, Hutcha said:

You cant use a regular car set on a plane. Only boosters

I thought this was the case but thanks for confirming. Sounds like the best option is to just buy a booster and use it for the plane and any shuttles. We are flying to the UK in the fall too, so it won't be wasted.

Hi All,

its about 70+ miles from IAH to Galv pier and maybe 50 miles Hobby to Galv.  No train except freight trains. Public transport difficult between the two.  Uber probably $150 (just a pure guess) Cruise line transport probably best.