RoyalUp Cleared! Now, what to do with second cabin?

The background here is that we originally had booked two connecting balcony cabins for our upcoming Liberty of the Seas sailing.  This works well for us as a family of four as the children get their own space, the adults privacy, and we have two bathrooms.  I saw that many were having success with RoyalUp, so I decided to submit a low bid on a 2 BR Grand Suite.  I was blown away as the bid was accepted with a total cost of the cabins plus the upgrade being below the cost of our sailings with just two connecting cabins.

Now for the question I am hoping the more experienced travelers can help me with.  How exactly should I handle the remaining balcony cabin?  I want the four of us to use the 2 BR, and I don't want to use the original cabin as the point of the trip is to spend time together.  I also would like for everyone to have the suite benefits, if possible.  Would it be best to handle this at customer service after boarding the ship or to call Royal in advance?  I don't want to cancel the original balcony cabin, but I would like advice on the best way to have the four of us placed into the 2 BR.

Advice is appreciated.  Thanks!

22 minutes ago, TravelPhotoGeek said:

The background here is that we originally had booked two connecting balcony cabins for our upcoming Liberty of the Seas sailing.  This works well for us as a family of four as the children get their own space, the adults privacy, and we have two bathrooms.  I saw that many were having success with RoyalUp, so I decided to submit a low bid on a 2 BR Grand Suite.  I was blown away as the bid was accepted with a total cost of the cabins plus the upgrade being below the cost of our sailings with just two connecting cabins.

Now for the question I am hoping the more experienced travelers can help me with.  How exactly should I handle the remaining balcony cabin?  I want the four of us to use the 2 BR, and I don't want to use the original cabin as the point of the trip is to spend time together.  I also would like for everyone to have the suite benefits, if possible.  Would it be best to handle this at customer service after boarding the ship or to call Royal in advance?  I don't want to cancel the original balcony cabin, but I would like advice on the best way to have the four of us placed into the 2 BR.

Advice is appreciated.  Thanks!

We tried this pre-pandemic.  We had adult kids in a boardwalk cabin and we were in an Ultimate family balcony.  We won the upgrade to a suite. When we inquired about adding the adult kids we were told emphatically NO by numerous different avenues we tried. If we added anyone other than from the original cabin, we were told it would be repriced to market rate. They didn't care if they slept there, or if we got them keys, but they could not be officially added for the suite benefits.

Our kids never got suite privileges, so we ended up using the suite lounge sparingly.  However, we had a fantastic cruise even though we never ate in the CK. 

Unfortunately, that upgrade cost us BIG BUCKS in the long run. I now have to book suites and the kids are booked in a minimum of a grand suite so that they can join us.

Edited by cured
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I always book two adjoining balcony rooms for my wife and I. I snore, she has to have the tv on to fall asleep. Easier to get two rooms. I received an email to “Royal up” to a two bedroom suite. I called yesterday to ask what would happen to the other room if I won the bid. They told me I would get the $250 deposit as a future cruise credit and they would refund the money I paid on the second room but I would pay more to add my wife to the upgrade. This didn’t make sense to me because we just added my daughter to my wife’s room for Alaska trip and paid extra port charges. I asked how much more to add my wife to upgraded suite and they just replied significant. Guess I’ll leave it alone. 

• Like 1

Just call RCL and find out if you can do anything.  You will never know unless you call and see what happens.  It seems depending on the customer service reps you might get different responses.  Also if you do get a refund for the other cabin and still have to pay more for the 2 extra people in the suite it might balance???

Edited by micruiser2002

There is nothing you can do...if you cancel the cabin you cancel your kids. You just have to leave things they way they are and just let the kids sleep in the GS with you. You can get extra room keys for them but they wouldn't just "officially" add them to the cabin as suite guests. I am assuming that you booked it as 1 adult and 1 child in each cabin? If you didn't then you would be having your under age kids staying in a cabin alone with no parents next door and that would raise another issue. That would also raise another issue with suite privileges as 1 adult than wouldn't be a suite guest. Not so easy when you upgrade just 1 cabin when you have adjoining cabins.

• Like 3

I guess the lesson we learn is if you RoyalUp to a two bedroom suite you can't consolidate multiple cabins into the suite, so don't bid unless everyone you want to occupy the suite is already in one cabin together.

• Like 8

Thanks for the input all; I new this group would have the answers.  I'm definitely not canceling the other balcony cabin and will simply get extra keys for the other room once onboard.  Kind of a bummer about not getting suite benefits for all, but I don't mind as the what we're paying is still far less than what we normally pay for two balcony cabins.  And we'll enjoy the space and meals on the balcony....

That being said, I've decided to gamble on Option C.  They're running 50% off for a 1 BR Grand Suite RoyalUp, so I've bid for that on the other cabin.  If we win it, it will be low $$$ to get the suite benefits for all.  And if the adults need an escape :-), we can make use of the other cabin.  It could come in handy for sunsets as well as we will be aft.  All good regardless.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cured said:

We tried this pre-pandemic.  We had adult kids in a boardwalk cabin and we were in an Ultimate family balcony.  We won the upgrade to a suite. When we inquired about adding the adult kids we were told emphatically NO by numerous different avenues we tried. If we added anyone other than from the original cabin, we were told it would be repriced to market rate. They didn't care if they slept there, or if we got them keys, but they could not be officially added for the suite benefits.

Our kids never got suite privileges, so we ended up using the suite lounge sparingly.  However, we had a fantastic cruise even though we never ate in the CK. 

Unfortunately, that upgrade cost us BIG BUCKS in the long run. I now have to book suites and the kids are booked in a minimum of a grand suite so that they can join us.

I'm afraid that will be my fate as well.  I've used my benefits to upgrade my family on flights from time to time, and then I made the mistake of upgrading them to a Polaris seat on one flight.  They now ask if those will be our seats every time we fly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TravelPhotoGeek said:

That being said, I've decided to gamble on Option C.  They're running 50% off for a 1 BR Grand Suite RoyalUp, so I've bid for that on the other cabin.  If we win it, it will be low $$$ to get the suite benefits for all.  And if the adults need an escape :-), we can make use of the other cabin.  It could come in handy for sunsets as well as we will be aft.  All good regardless.

If you booked a 2 bedroom suite to begin with, wouldn't it have been cheaper than booking 2 separate balcony rooms + royalup fees since they're both based on double occupancy? Or is this still cheaper this way?

If you haven't hit final payment and are keeping the spare room, how about downgrading the leftover balcony to the cheapest room on the boat to save some money? Or see if there is a room close by your new suite. 

But like another poster said, unless you are talking about adult children, only one adult will have suite privileges. They won't allow you to have both children in one room by themselves. 

I'd try to call Royal and see if theres a repricing option that would allow you to dump the spare room and not cost more money. 

Edited by fsjosh
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, forgotmyCCname said:

.oops

48 minutes ago, BazingAu said:

If you booked a 2 bedroom suite to begin with, wouldn't it have been cheaper than booking 2 separate balcony rooms + royalup fees since they're both based on double occupancy? Or is this still cheaper this way?

Our 2 last 2 cruises ( post Covid) and our upcoming in 2 weeks it was cheaper to upgrade from GS to OS and GS to 2BGS than the minimum bid. For our upcoming we were only able to get 2 large balconies. Watched daily and snagged the 2 BR for a little more than the 2 balconies combined. Day before final got a big price drop and OBC as well.

It is stated in the  Royal Up T and C's something to the tune of  only those assigned to the cabin winning the bid will be on the new amended reservation. 

Good Luck ! Have a great cruise 

Edited by forgotmyCCname
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BazingAu said:

Cheaper by far.  Even with the RoyalUp fees, the cost would be $6k less than booking that suite to begin.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fsjosh said:

If you haven't hit final payment and are keeping the spare room, how about downgrading the leftover balcony to the cheapest room on the boat to save some money? Or see if there is a room close by your new suite. 

But like another poster said, unless you are talking about adult children, only one adult will have suite privileges. They won't allow you to have both children in one room by themselves. 

I'd try to call Royal and see if theres a repricing option that would allow you to dump the spare room and not cost more money. 

Now that's an interesting point.  Perhaps get a interior near the suite.  Would be good for storage if nothing else.  I may look into that.  Thanks!

• Like 1