Can't get a rapid antigen test within 90 days of testing positive - options?

archer_310

Didn't realize this was a problem until I started looking into it for my March cruise.  I was positive coming back from a trip to Florida earlier this month.  I have a cruise in March and need an antigen test to get onboard.  Shoppers and Walmart won't allow anyone who has been positive within 90 days to get a test.  What are my options other than to lie in order to get the test anyway?  Other than the risk of getting a false positive (I've already done a home rapid antigen test which was negative), I don't see why they won't let me pay for a test that I need.  I don't want to wait to do a test in the US, I'd rather know before I leave.

5 minutes ago, archer_310 said:

Didn't realize this was a problem until I started looking into it for my March cruise.  I was positive coming back from a trip to Florida earlier this month.  I have a cruise in March and need an antigen test to get onboard.  Shoppers and Walmart won't allow anyone who has been positive within 90 days to get a test.  What are my options other than to lie in order to get the test anyway?  Other than the risk of getting a false positive (I've already done a home rapid antigen test which was negative), I don't see why they won't let me pay for a test that I need.  I don't want to wait to do a test in the US, I'd rather know before I leave.

I bought the Switch at home test through aeroplan 

Don't think that the cruise line would accept this.  If Carnival is like Royal Caribbean, everything has to be printed out on computer from a verified pharmacy.  Or does Switch Health send you something via email that would prove the authenticity of the home test?

Walmart says:

In order to be eligible for an asymptomatic COVID-19 test at the pharmacy, you must answer NO to the following questions:
1. Are you experiencing any signs and symptoms of COVID-19*? 
2. Have you been in contact with someone known to have COVID-19 in the past 14 days?
3. Have you been advised to quarantine in the last 14 days per federal quarantine requirements?
4. Have you been advised to get tested for COVID-19:
a) By your local public health unit due to exposure to a confirmed case or as part of an outbreak investigation?
b) Through an exposure notification through the COVID-19 app?

I don't see the 90 day restriction (SDM has it)?

Rexall says:

This test is only available for individuals who do not have signs or symptoms of COVID-19, like fever, cough, shortness of breath or a sore throat.

Please do not book a COVID-19 Rapid Antigen test at your pharmacy and contact your local public health unit to be tested at a COVID-19 Assessment Centre if you:
Are symptomatic
Have been identified as a high risk contact of a known COVID-19 case

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, CKCruising said:

Walmart says:

In order to be eligible for an asymptomatic COVID-19 test at the pharmacy, you must answer NO to the following questions:
1. Are you experiencing any signs and symptoms of COVID-19*? 
2. Have you been in contact with someone known to have COVID-19 in the past 14 days?
3. Have you been advised to quarantine in the last 14 days per federal quarantine requirements?
4. Have you been advised to get tested for COVID-19:
a) By your local public health unit due to exposure to a confirmed case or as part of an outbreak investigation?
b) Through an exposure notification through the COVID-19 app?

I don't see the 90 day restriction (SDM has it)?

It's not on their questionnaire, but I called them and asked and the pharmacist read thru the fine print and told me that it stated the same as Shoppers - can't test if positive in the last 90 days.  I haven't called Rexall.

Edit:  Just called and they say that they don't have a 90 day requirement, but there is an ambiguous question about testing positive on a home test - meaning the Switch Health tests that the government gives you.  It doesn't give a date range for this, but the pharmacist said to assume that means not testing positive NOW.  Guess I would only have to half-lie instead of lie for Shoppers or Walmart.

Edited by archer_310
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, archer_310 said:

It's not on their questionnaire, but I called them and asked and the pharmacist read thru the fine print and told me that it stated the same as Shoppers - can't test if positive in the last 90 days.  I haven't called Rexall.

Edit:  Just called and they say that they don't have a 90 day requirement, but there is an ambiguous question about testing positive on a home test - meaning the Switch Health tests that the government gives you.  It doesn't give a date range for this, but the pharmacist said to assume that means not testing positive NOW.  Guess I would only have to half-lie instead of lie for Shoppers or Walmart.

I wouldn't call the switch health tests a home test.  They are processed at a laboratory.  Just my opinion.

Thanks for the research.

Also note that you can get a letter of recovery to fly into the states but that doesn't help for the cruise test.

Unsure about Carnival in particular, but RCCL accepts the proctored Switch Health tests without issue.  I did so myself just a few days ago.

We went through the same thing as you are going through when you traveled last year.  We had a previous Covid positive (way back in April of last year) and I also found about the 90 day statement via SDM.  At the time I inquired at 2 different SDM and was told by the people actually administering the test that this was not 'enforced'.  Enforced is a funny statement as they really could not tell anyway.  If it were me I'd just click NO if the question came up.  

2 minutes ago, edrussell said:

Unsure about Carnival in particular, but RCCL accepts the proctored Switch Health tests without issue.  I did so myself just a few days ago.

We went through the same thing as you are going through when you traveled last year.  We had a previous Covid positive (way back in April of last year) and I also found about the 90 day statement via SDM.  At the time I inquired at 2 different SDM and was told by the people actually administering the test that this was not 'enforced'.  Enforced is a funny statement as they really could not tell anyway.  If it were me I'd just click NO if the question came up.  

I am not sure if Switch Health is approved by FDA.  I can't seem to easily find the information.  It says their PCR LAMP test is
From Carnival:

Fully vaccinated guests may consider using self-administered telehealth COVID-19 tests, which have been approved by the CDC to satisfy the pre-cruise testing requirement. The test must be a COVID-19 viral test (NAAT or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative who must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test. The telehealth provider must issue a result document that includes all the necessary information which must be presented at the time of check-in. Fully vaccinated guests may consider using one of the following self-administered telehealth tests:

Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test Test kits ship to all 50 states and arrive at your door in three business days or less. Order now. Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window.
Radeas Inspire Diagnostics At-Home Health Test Test kits ship to all 50 states and free 5-7 business day shipping is available (expedited shipping can be purchased at checkout). Order now. Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window.

33 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I am not sure if Switch Health is approved by FDA.  I can't seem to easily find the information.  It says their PCR LAMP test is
From Carnival:

Fully vaccinated guests may consider using self-administered telehealth COVID-19 tests, which have been approved by the CDC to satisfy the pre-cruise testing requirement. The test must be a COVID-19 viral test (NAAT or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative who must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test. The telehealth provider must issue a result document that includes all the necessary information which must be presented at the time of check-in. Fully vaccinated guests may consider using one of the following self-administered telehealth tests:

Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test Test kits ship to all 50 states and arrive at your door in three business days or less. Order now. Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window.
Radeas Inspire Diagnostics At-Home Health Test Test kits ship to all 50 states and free 5-7 business day shipping is available (expedited shipping can be purchased at checkout). Order now. Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window.

Switch Health offers two main home test kits. The first is SD Biosensor's Standard Q COVID-19 Ag Nasal Test, authorized by Health Canada and sold by Switch Health under the name COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test Kit. This test requires the test to be monitored online by Switch Health telehealth staff. The FDA has not approved this test, but some cruise lines accept it as the test is monitored. Others will only accept FDA approved tests.

The second is the Lucira's Check It COVID-19 Test Kit, sold by Switch Health under the name COVID-19 RT-LAMP Test Kit. This monitored test is authorized by both Health Canada and the FDA.

4 hours ago, archer_310 said:

It is most likely that SDM are managing their supply of tests. They’re not able to predict when the next ones will arrive, or if the full quantity will come. I’m following what folks are saying about Switch. Price is reasonable for 2 tests. I suppose that will cover the trip south and back. 

Are you sure you read this? Doesnt make sense. Seriously lie. The 90 day rule would make sense for a PCR test as you might show of postive from a past infection. Not sure what their RT (believe that is what its called) threshold is for +/-.

I have never seen nor heard this about antigen. Antigen only works best too if you have symtoms or at the height of the illness run where you are making antibodys.

seriously LIE.  It's not hurting anyone. and the resutls are not manipulated doesnt make sense

Disney just announced that they are implementing a new policy for people recently recovered from Covid.  If you've tested positive between 11-90 days before the cruise, you don't have to have a test to get on board.  Hopefully other cruise lines will adopt this policy as well.  Solves my problem!

• Like 2

On 2/1/2022 at 11:45 AM, archer_310 said:

If you've tested positive between 11-90 days before the cruise, you don't have to have a test to get on board. 

Only problem with this is getting a proper PCR test result - many jurisdictions (mine included) are basically not even "officially" testing unless you are admitted to hospital.

If you have a PCR test result from that timeframe, ya - big win 🙂

On 2/2/2022 at 6:36 PM, Brian V said:

Only problem with this is getting a proper PCR test result - many jurisdictions (mine included) are basically not even "officially" testing unless you are admitted to hospital.

Yes this is what bothers me.  Especially on the return trip to Canada.  You can get in with proof you had COVID prior 14 days prior to return but we cant get proof via a PCR test in Alberta right now.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 2:45 PM, archer_310 said:

Disney just announced that they are implementing a new policy for people recently recovered from Covid.  If you've tested positive between 11-90 days before the cruise, you don't have to have a test to get on board.  Hopefully other cruise lines will adopt this policy as well.  Solves my problem!

Wouldn't this be wonderful. I tested positive Saturday, Feb 5, Public Health called me today and suggested I cancel my cruise of Feb 28, 2022 from NYC...says they recommend we do not test for 90 days following a positive PCR and if mandatory negative to get on NCL, can't guarantee it. They did offer me a recovery letter but apparently NCL doesn't accept!

On 2/4/2022 at 11:55 AM, kdr69 said:

Yes this is what bothers me.  Especially on the return trip to Canada.  You can get in with proof you had COVID prior 14 days prior to return but we cant get proof via a PCR test in Alberta right now.

Fellow Albertan here, just wondering if you paid to have a PCR test at a pharmacy or clinic would they be able to give you the proof you need to show you tested positive more than two weeks prior of return back to Canada ?

8 hours ago, Happycrafter123 said:

Also to the discussion about using the combo of your prior positive test and a letter from doctor saying you are cleared for travel, anyone have suggestions on that?  Many family doctors won’t do notes like that so where do you go?  

One of the Disney boards I’m on had a thread in their Canadian forum about getting Covid travel notes, and a number of people said they’d used various private telehealth clinics to get notes.  I’d bookmarked this one, but haven’t used it myself.

https://appletreemedicalgroup.com/medical-services/virtual-care/

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @archer_310, what are you going to end up doing? I am in same boat for our March cruise. I did book at SDM as is only place that I could get a time that fit our travel plans, but I would prefer if I did not have to skirt the 90 days issue. We will be about 75 days at that point.

DW and I just scheduled an appointment at SDM for the antigen test for our upcoming cruise.  DW tested positive for Covid on a home rapid test in mid February.  The two questions of relevance  when booking a test at SDM are:

image.png.6b59a5ca83f9dacab2a0cc8e6a94aca0.png

Since my DW tested with a home antigen test kit the answer to the first question is No.  Since her positive test was more than 10 days on the home kit the answer to the second question is also No.

So we are not lying to SDM get the test needed.

35 minutes ago, truckswain said:

DW and I just scheduled an appointment at SDM for the antigen test for our upcoming cruise.  DW tested positive for Covid on a home rapid test in mid February.  The two questions of relevance  when booking a test at SDM are:

image.png.6b59a5ca83f9dacab2a0cc8e6a94aca0.png

Since my DW tested with a home antigen test kit the answer to the first question is No.  Since her positive test was more than 10 days on the home kit the answer to the second question is also No.

So we are not lying to SDM get the test needed.

Your link doesn't work, so I can't view what two questions you are speaking about. However, according to the SDM website, anyone who has tested positive within the past 90 days is not eligible to take their antigen screening:

Screening is available to anyone who meets the asymptomatic criteria. In order to be screened in the pharmacy you must:

• Be asymptomatic (you have no symptoms of COVID-19)
  • Have not been in contact with someone known to have COVID-19 within the past 14 days
  • Have not been advised to quarantine in the last 14 days per the federal quarantine requirements
  • Have not been advised to get tested for COVID-19 through an exposure notification through the COVID-19 app
  • Have not previously tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 90 days