Veuve Clicquot dinner?

JahHaus

I love Champagne-and have tried many. Not a fan of Clicquot. Many wine dealers I have talked to have told me it would be their  last choice. Said they do the bare minimum to qualify as a Champagne. I would prefer Piper heidsieck, Tattinger, or many others. I think it was Cunard that changed To  Perrier-Jouët. Anyway if you like it , thats great. Just try some others. One of the best for the money, Mallet, is $44 atTotal wines and it is very good.

11 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

I love Champagne-and have tried many. Not a fan of Clicquot. Many wine dealers I have talked to have told me it would be their  last choice. Said they do the bare minimum to qualify as a Champagne. I would prefer Piper heidsieck, Tattinger, or many others. I think it was Cunard that changed To  Perrier-Jouët. Anyway if you like it , thats great. Just try some others. One of the best for the money, Mallet, is $44 atTotal wines and it is very good.

I *have* tried some others including Dom Perignon and I prefer Veuve Clicquot.  Sorry that you don’t like it.  The company has been around since 1772.  They must be doing *something* right.

I cannot find Mallet champagne at Total Wine.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

We did it on the Edge in February 2020. We were a group of 6 people and did not know about it soon enough to get in. So they had it on another night just for us. Fantastic! It was extra special because we all knew and loved each other, and after that much Champagne. . .What's not to like?

• Like 4

I was with friends where we tried some Veuve Clicquot.  Had a friend who is a Moët Chandon drinker.  I tried to tell her some of the story about the widow Clicquot.  She thought I was making things up.  She’s a German speaker and didn’t know the meaning of the French word la Veuve.  We are still friends.

Same group tried the (terrible) 1996 Cristal.  A real shame.

21 minutes ago, zoncom said:

Whats the price for VC dinner? My BF gave me free air. Would be nice thank you. On Reflection  April 18 TA and May 13. 

Do you know that the dinner is available on the Reflection or are you asking?

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

I was with friends where we tried some Veuve Clicquot.  Had a friend who is a Moët Chandon drinker.  I tried to tell her some of the story about the widow Clicquot.  She thought I was making things up.  She’s a German speaker and didn’t know the meaning of the French word la Veuve.  We are still friends.

Same group tried the (terrible) 1996 Cristal.  A real shame.

For the money and also a high end wine, I would recommend J Schram, J Scham Rose or Reserve by Schramsberg in Napa/Calistoga.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

For the money and also a high end wine, I would recommend J Schram, J Scham Rose or Reserve by Schramsberg in Napa/Calistoga.

I will try that.  I see I can get it from Total Wine in North Carolina.

• Like 1

I could talk champagne and sparkling wine all day. However, I would not like to derail this thread from the original question like so many of you have. 

One remaining open question is still what is the cost of the dinner? I see it on my upcoming Summit itinerary, but the cost isn't posted in the Celebrity app.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, misterkevin said:

I could talk champagne and sparkling wine all day. However, I would not like to derail this thread from the original question like so many of you have. 

One remaining open question is still what is the cost of the dinner? I see it on my upcoming Summit itinerary, but the cost isn't posted in the Celebrity app.

This will be the first thread that stays on track.

18 hours ago, zitsky said:

I *have* tried some others including Dom Perignon and I prefer Veuve Clicquot.  Sorry that you don’t like it.  The company has been around since 1772.  They must be doing *something* right.

I cannot find Mallet champagne at Total Wine.

My fault it is Maillyimage.thumb.jpeg.cb886c3a4067ed6d6411f1bb564f68e4.jpeg

1 minute ago, oskidunker said:

I was in their wine club for a while. Its great but expensive. Closest to French of the Calif sparkling wines. 

I have said before that I’m not a snob and I drink Korbel.  But it will be nice to try Schramsberg.  I have a bottle of Opolo sparkling wine at home.  I also drink Gruet.  And of course VC.

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

I have said before that I’m not a snob and I drink Korbel.  But it will be nice to try Schramsberg.  I have a bottle of Opolo sparkling wine at home.  I also drink Gruet.  And of course VC.

Gruet is good

• Like 1

It's so funny that a few of you literally jumped into the conversation halfway through, ignored the question the OP asked, and then took the conversation into another direction. 

When I post here, I generally ask myself, "am I adding any value, or is this just for my personal amusement?" Generally, I try to add value. 

But since we're evidently already down this road, Veuve Cliquot is okay, if not overrated for the price to my palate. I think most people flock to it because it owns prestige brand equity in the category. It's yeasty and toasted. In this range, I prefer Taittinger for the dryness. If I'm looking for something more toasty, I enjoy Pommery, or Heidseick Monopole Blue, usually a few dollars cheaper than VC. Excellent domestics are Schramsberg and Roederer Estate to me.

If you want my opinion about sparkling roses, I'm happy to oblige.

Now, does anybody know how much the going rate is for this VC dinner on Celebrity?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, misterkevin said:

It's so funny that a few of you literally jumped into the conversation halfway through, ignored the question the OP asked, and then took the conversation into another direction. 

When I post here, I generally ask myself, "am I adding any value, or is this just for my personal amusement?" Generally, I try to add value. 

But since we're evidently already down this road, Veuve Cliquot is okay, if not overrated for the price to my palate. I think most people flock to it because it owns prestige brand equity in the category. It's yeasty and toasted. In this range, I prefer Taittinger for the dryness. If I'm looking for something more toasty, I enjoy Pommery, or Heidseick Monopole Blue, usually a few dollars cheaper than VC. Excellent domestics are Schramsberg and Roederer Estate to me.

Now, does anybody know how much the going rate is for this VC dinner on Celebrity?

Thanks Kevin.  You’d make a good moderator.

17 minutes ago, misterkevin said:

Well since the OP specifically asked about VC, and you chastised others for going off topic, you now want to add your opinion on sparkling roses...

• Haha 2

Kevin do you know if the VC dinner is available on all ships?  Because we have a few examples but no one has said it’s fleet wide.  I think we have confirmation on 2-3 ships.  I never heard about it on Infinity only because that cruise was canceled.  I would like to know if anyone has had it on the Reflection?

15 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Kevin do you know if the VC dinner is available on all ships?  Because we have a few examples but no one has said it’s fleet wide.  I think we have confirmation on 2-3 ships.  I never heard about it on Infinity only because that cruise was canceled.  I would like to know if anyone has had it on the Reflection?

Unfortunately, no, I do not. I only know about it because I've read about it here, and it's showing up on my March Summit cruise planner.

I cannot personally answer the OP’s questions as this was not available on the Equinox in Nov, but this thread may be of assistance. I had the pleasure of running into @GenerationXon board and if my memory serves me, at that time this dinner Summit or Constellation, Apex and Edge.

Her Summit thread was what originally got me interested in this dinner and I’m hoping it’s still on the Apex when we board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1