Discriminatory Pricing

STEVE-O

I haven’t had the experience of direct discrimination, but as I need an accessible cabin, and there aren’t very many, and I have to book so far ahead,  I generally can’t take advantage of reductions (I’ve tried) because “there aren’t any other cabins we can reprice on “ to quote Princess. I think I might have done better with a TA, but I don’t know. I can’t say I’ve had the feeling that Princess were keen to welcome us onboard, perhaps they now prefer young people? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozscotart said:

I haven’t had the experience of direct discrimination, but as I need an accessible cabin, and there aren’t very many, and I have to book so far ahead,  I generally can’t take advantage of reductions (I’ve tried) because “there aren’t any other cabins we can reprice on “ to quote Princess. I think I might have done better with a TA, but I don’t know. I can’t say I’ve had the feeling that Princess were keen to welcome us onboard, perhaps they now prefer young people? 

We book VERY early  for the same reason.....but not for the lower rate able-bodied guests pay.

Then......we have to pay change fees if our plans change. Waiting to book isn't usually an option. You know.

3 hours ago, STEVE-O said:

On our cruise line of choice, able-bodied guests pay less than guests needing an accessible cabin.

What is your pricing experience and on which cruise line?

We have been booking accessible staterooms for years on several different cruise lines.   We have never had to pay more when booking an accessible stateroom compared to the exact same category for a non-accessible stateroom.   Make sure you are comparing the exact same room category.  

What cruise line / ship are you seeing this pricing difference on?

3 hours ago, STEVE-O said:

On our cruise line of choice, able-bodied guests pay less than guests needing an accessible cabin.

We have been booking accessible staterooms for years on several different cruise lines.   We have never had to pay more when booking an accessible stateroom compared to the exact same category for a non-accessible stateroom.   Make sure you are comparing the exact same room category.  

I agree that I have not faced a price difference for the same category of cabin. I have selected cabins that were inside, ocean view, and balcony. If I selected a BB (Princess) accessible balcony, it was the same price as a non-accessible BB cabin. It is true that accessible cabins are limited, and not available in every permutation of cabin. I have not found an accessible balcony in BA, BB, BC, BD, and BE categories on each ship. I also am not able to select a guarantee reservation as I MUST have the accessible features. I have been able to refare to a lower cost several times.

• Like 1

I sail on Celebrity.  I've been in Veranda, Concierge Class and Suites  that are accesible.  The Sky Suites on Celebrity have been the same price for accessible ones as for non-accessible ones. Similarly, C2 are the same price whether accessible or not.  

I can't book a guarantee cabin, because a guarantee means the company selects the room, and I want/need a specific room.  Just how it is.

5 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

For example....one cruise we were looking at was $1490 for a balcony. Maybe not the -best- balcony, but a balcony.

The best price for an accessible balcony was $1638 because the accessible balconies are ONLY located in the best locations. There are no lesser category accessible balconies on the ship. Ever. Anywhere.  So, if you want and need an accessible balcony, you have to pay more than able-bodied guests would have to pay for a balcony.....

1 hour ago, Algebralovr said:

I sail on Celebrity.  I've been in Veranda, Concierge Class and Suites  that are accesible.  The Sky Suites on Celebrity have been the same price for accessible ones as for non-accessible ones. Similarly, C2 are the same price whether accessible or not.  

I can't book a guarantee cabin, because a guarantee means the company selects the room, and I want/need a specific room.  Just how it is.

Correct. But if you are able-bodied, there are cheaper rooms in those types of cabins.  You could choose one and save money.

Not so when choosing an accessible. You pay the higher rate even though there are no cheaper   accessible options in lesser categories....ever. They don't exist.

14 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Plus no hope for an upgrade free or bid (on those lines that offer bidding) Princess did have three ships with no balcony accessible cabins so would offer a mini suite at balcony price.

Good job, Princess!

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity do that (usually...), too. 

15 hours ago, STEVE-O said:

Correct. But if you are able-bodied, there are cheaper rooms in those types of cabins.  You could choose one and save money.

Not so when choosing an accessible. You pay the higher rate even though there are no cheaper   accessible options in lesser categories....ever. They don't exist.

Since Celebrity offers C2 at the C3 price to anyone who has sailed in the past and registered for their loyalty program, if one elects for an accessible Concierge Class room, the price is going to be the lower price for the accessible room.

They have Veranda rooms in a couple of different class of room, not just 1A, and they are sliming down the types of rooms going forward.

For Sky Suites, on the S-Class ships, all the accessible Sky Suites are S2, and they onlyhave S2 and S1.

You are making a big deal about nothing.  Being disabled is expensive.  It is what it is.  

It is not discrimination.  If they didn't have any fully accessible cabins except Oceanview or except Sky Suites, then I would argue there are issues, but they have interior, oceanview, veranda, etc.  So what if you can't get THE cheapest room in a sub-catagory.  It is what it is.  The difference is usually fairly small.

2 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Since Celebrity offers C2 at the C3 price to anyone who has sailed in the past and registered for their loyalty program, if one elects for an accessible Concierge Class room, the price is going to be the lower price for the accessible room.

They have Veranda rooms in a couple of different class of room, not just 1A, and they are sliming down the types of rooms going forward.

For Sky Suites, on the S-Class ships, all the accessible Sky Suites are S2, and they onlyhave S2 and S1.

You are making a big deal about nothing.  Being disabled is expensive.  It is what it is.  

It is not discrimination.  If they didn't have any fully accessible cabins except Oceanview or except Sky Suites, then I would argue there are issues, but they have interior, oceanview, veranda, etc.  So what if you can't get THE cheapest room in a sub-catagory.  It is what it is.  The difference is usually fairly small.

Enjoy paying more than your able-bodied neighbor. You know how much your money is worth.

2 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

So.....The hotel clerk tells you rooms are $100 a night. When you tell them you need a room with a roll-in shower, the clerk says..."Oh, those are $300 a night".

You just shrug and pay the $300??

(FWIW.....this scenario is a violation of U. S. ADA law....)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STEVE-O said:

So.....The hotel clerk tells you rooms are $100 a night. When you tell them you need a room with a roll-in shower, the clerk says..."Oh, those are $300 a night".

(FWIW.....this scenario is a violation of U. S. ADA law....)

I've never had that happen.  Yes, that would be in violation of the ADA.  

20 hours ago, STEVE-O said:

If the accessible features were the only difference in the two rooms, then, yes, it would be a violation of ADA.  If the $300 room was bigger than the $100 room, then no it would not be.  What you are asking for on the ship is to get a bigger/better room ("accessible balconies are ONLY located in the best locations") for the price of a lower category balcony room.

And, SCOTUS has found that the foreign flag cruise lines' "internal policies and procedures", like what categories they make accessible cabins in, and how they offer reduced pricing (and, if the accessible cabin was still available at the time that a non-accessible, same category, cabin was repriced, the accessible cabin would be repriced as well), are not subject to the ADA.  In the 16 years since Spector v NCL, where SCOTUS ruled that barring specific mention of foreign flag cruise ships, then Congress did not intend to include these ships' policies in the Act, and yet Congress has taken no action to remedy this.

• Like 2

No different than airlines.   If you need a larger seat or more leg room you will pay more $.   My husband and most n his family are very tall and cannot fit in normal airline rows.   Fortunately, he is healthy enough to sit in an exit row but that also frequently requires extra money.    

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2022 at 9:23 AM, Covepointcruiser said:

No different than airlines.   If you need a larger seat or more leg room you will pay more $.   My husband and most n his family are very tall and cannot fit in normal airline rows.   Fortunately, he is healthy enough to sit in an exit row but that also frequently requires extra money.    

Agreed. My son is 6’5” and travels with a 45 lb service dog. We have him fly Southwest almost exclusively because they board service dogs and their handlers first. Otherwise we would have to put him in a more expensive category or buy an extra seat. And since sitting alone isn’t really an option, that is 2 more expensive seats. We have done both but in order to not spend a lot more money, we tend to stick with Southwest. No SDs in exit rows either. 

On 2/1/2022 at 8:06 AM, STEVE-O said:

Descriminatory pricing is a very bad choice of words.  If you compare two apples than yes.  But on the other hand, ships have a limited amount of cabins, and those are not all categories.  Plus, as an example, I can get a HC cabin the size of a JS, but pay the price as a balcony.  That does not seem fair either?  Vacations are that you pay for what you need, better hotel, bigger room, hotel with an elevator.....and I can keep going.  Sometimes those choices might cost more, for your enjoyment, and that is just a fact of life.  

• 1 year later...

We have run into this for the first time. We are considering a new ship for a 72 night cruise that will cost in the 6 figures. I was taken aback that the only choices were the most expensive standard balcony because of its location, making the 100K cruise now 170K. It is not about being booked, it is about nothing lower existing that is wheelchair accessible. They only have 2 cats, premium veranda (highest regular veranda) and silver which is a one bedroom. Not only is this annoying but has us rethinking a significant cruise we planned to take. They will not care as they have no trouble selling cabins.

21 hours ago, JSR said:

We have run into this for the first time. We are considering a new ship for a 72 night cruise that will cost in the 6 figures. I was taken aback that the only choices were the most expensive standard balcony because of its location, making the 100K cruise now 170K. It is not about being booked, it is about nothing lower existing that is wheelchair accessible. They only have 2 cats, premium veranda (highest regular veranda) and silver which is a one bedroom. Not only is this annoying but has us rethinking a significant cruise we planned to take. They will not care as they have no trouble selling cabins.

It's aggravating to say the least.

We usually get an accessible balcony room for the best available non-accessible balcony price but it's often a real fight..

Good luck. Happy Sails to you!

Edited by STEVE-O

As of earlier this week, your right you can not get the same benefits if you need a handicap room. Take their bid for upgrades. No way to get an upgrade to a better room at a lower price. IF you wait until prices come down you can not get a handicap room period. As they can and will give those rooms to people who do not need them. This is partly why I will no longer travel with princess

2 hours ago, Brucerw said:

As of earlier this week, your right you can not get the same benefits if you need a handicap room. Take their bid for upgrades. No way to get an upgrade to a better room at a lower price. IF you wait until prices come down you can not get a handicap room period. As they can and will give those rooms to people who do not need them. This is partly why I will no longer travel with princess

Hi welcome to CC (Cruise Critics)

• Like 1