Tipping now more important than ever

glojo

4 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

At least in the US,  servers I know are expected to share their table tips with the bus staff.  If you reduce the tip, you reduce the amount your busser receives, too.   Some do not know this.  

I had to look 'busser' up. Whenever I've dined out, the waiting staff clean their own tables. That's a new concept on me.

3 minutes ago, Peter Lanky said:

I had to look 'busser' up. Whenever I've dined out, the waiting staff clean their own tables. That's a new concept on me.

A good number of restaurants around have bussers.  Even my go-to breakfast place has them.   Just the same as on a ship - you have different people who serve you, refill glasses, clear the table.  

10 minutes ago, Peter Lanky said:

Personally in private conversation with friends I refer to them as Betty, Big Ears, Baldy Bill and Hewitt's Lad.

Here we call them Lizzie, (formerly) cranky old curmudgeon, Chuckles, Willie wannabe and the only smart one

6 minutes ago, Peter Lanky said:

It's the same as when in the US somebody will grab your bag as soon as you get out of the taxi and take it to the bell stand, they will then stand there with their hand out, even if the distance was ten yards and you only put the bag down to pay the driver. When the bag arrives in the room somebody else will stand there with a hand out. 

In Europe you hand it to the person with the trolley at the entrance, then the bag appears in your room. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

A good number of restaurants around have bussers.  Even my go-to breakfast place has them.   Just the same as on a ship - you have different people who serve you, refill glasses, clear the table.  

I think it's a US only thing, I can't remember seeing any elsewhere. Certainly, in the UK the wait staff do the lot. Pretentious restaurants will insist on having wine waitors and sommeliers as well as waitors, but they are becoming rarer 

3 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Basically, it is not necessary to tip, the service charge is not a tip. If you do want to tip nobody will be upset. If you don't tip nobody will care. 

I don't know either of the publications you mention, I'm just going off the extract. 

You are not typical of the average Brit when it comes to tipping. 

Not everyone is as mean as you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KBs mum said:

I think it's a US only thing, I can't remember seeing any elsewhere. Certainly, in the UK the wait staff do the lot. Pretentious restaurants will insist on having wine waitors and sommeliers as well as waitors, but they are becoming rarer 

You also need to travel more, and learn to spell.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, LGW59 said:

The folks that cruise know this, no matter where from, the ones who remove them are cheap, plain and simple and punishing the wrong people.  Tip extra, total self discretion as it should be.  

You posted that you follow your country's own tipping culture when visiting other countries so you can't really insult those from non tipping cultures who would remove auto gratuities. It is not cheap it is just them following their own culture practice (not the tourists' fault that their cultural practices happens to reduce cost😂) like you do when you travel. If you can do you, they can do them😜

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Why are you resistant to acting like a local? Does tipping make you feel better about yourself or give you some thrill? Do you think your culture is superior to everyone? 

This is hilarious when we consider that the mass removal of auto-grats on cruise ships, i.e., in the cruise ship culture, by pax from Australian among other places is what forced cruiselines to redo their pricing to include the gratuity just for people from those countries.  It seems the Aussies refused to act according to the prevailing culture.  

6 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Basically, it is not necessary to tip, the service charge is not a tip. If you do want to tip nobody will be upset. If you don't tip nobody will care. 

I don't know either of the publications you mention, I'm just going off the extract. 

Then why are YOU upset, as evidenced by your copious posting?

7 hours ago, Peter Lanky said:

Just remember that in the UK, the prices have not been lowered to allow the service charge to bring it back to it's correct price, 

If by correct price you are referring to a minimum wage, it works the same way in California.  The minimum must be paid rwithout consideration of tips.  

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

This is hilarious when we consider that the mass removal of auto-grats on cruise ships, i.e., in the cruise ship culture, by pax from Australian among other places is what forced cruiselines to redo their pricing to include the gratuity just for people from those countries.  It seems the Aussies refused to act according to the prevailing culture.  

But they only added the auto gratuities to the price in cruise ships that depart Australia therefore the prevailing culture is Australian in those ships. If I book a cruise departing America I am still subjected to auto gratuities I don't get an all inclusive price. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

7 hours ago, KBs mum said:

I took a Look at some additional Uk sources.  Two proposed tipping similar to what I previously shared.  One was much closer to what you seem to follow.   One thing I did learn was there apparently was a problem with UK employers withholding tips and service charges from employees.   I see that it was made illegal to do that.    

Rick Steves is a travel writer and television personality.  Frommers is a travel guide.   Been around since the 1950's.  I always thought it to be a pretty good resource.   

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

When we were in London I loved the painted directions at the crosswalk reminding us which way to look for traffic.  I hope that accomodation for visitors didn't ruin their signage culture.😉

"signage culture". It took me a minute.  😀😀😀

I hate to admit it but I'm so accustomed to driving on the right, that I get a moment of confusion when I see those warnings at the crosswalks.   Good thing they are there.  I bet a lot of accidents have been prevented.   I almost got tagged at a crosswalk in Glasgow.  Guy reached out and pulled me back.

Edited by ldubs

5 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy 

😉

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I guess you still have a bit to learn.

Bussers seem to be a US only thing,  elsewhere the wait staff clear tables. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

You also need to travel more, and learn to spell.

I'd been to sixteen other countries before visiting the US for the first time. Been to quite a few more since. 

Criticism of spelling is often the first sign of somebody who has lost a debate. I'm typing on a phone screen,  this is not a legal document, minor spelling and grammatical errors don't matter. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

In the original example given the ship was operating in Australian waters, for Australian passengers, therefore Australian cultural norms apply. 

Why should US cultural norms apply outside the US? Tipping is only a cultural norm on those ships/lines operating from the US or which have a high percentage of US passengers. Lines based elsewhere or with a low percentage of US pax are usually non tipping

• Like 3

On 2/27/2022 at 9:09 PM, ldubs said:

I am fascinated that employee performance is uniform across the board.  I understand that the standards are uniform and set high.   But surely some, whatever metrics you use, exceed the standards.  Is there any incentive for those who outperform the minimum standards? 

Of course there are some who do go above and beyond what is required but our best waitstaff are the ones who take pride in doing a good job because that's the sort of person they are.  There is the odd person who leaves a tip but it goes into a pool and is used for farewell gifts or the staff Christmas party - that sort of thing.  It's not part of their income.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1