Tuscan Grill vs Murano first night on Reflection

zitsky

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

My problem is my nosy partner.  I finally had to tell him the price of my yellow label because he kept asking.  (No it’s not expensive.)  I might get away with Caymus.  Dom would be harder.  Both would be at a premium over land.  🤣

However he has started saying, don’t book that suite we can spend the money on airfare or dinner or ???

🙂

Regarding the premium over land (sometimes 2-3x), I will say that one of the best things about our sailings on Carnival is that (in the Steakhouse, and now Rudi's on the Mardi Gras) on the first night and the first elegant evening (if they're still calling it that) is that all bottles of wine are 50% off. That often means that we're able to get those wines at the same price I could purchase them for at a liquor store or online.

Literally the first red wine I had that I really enjoyed (I was "late" discovering my taste for wine) was at Ocean Liner's during a wine pairing meal. It was Château Lafite. Needless to say, by the time we returned a couple years later - gone was that wine as well as the harp... 😞

Tom

16 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

🙂

Regarding the premium over land (sometimes 2-3x), I will say that one of the best things about our sailings on Carnival is that (in the Steakhouse, and now Rudi's on the Mardi Gras) on the first night and the first elegant evening (if they're still calling it that) is that all bottles of wine are 50% off. That often means that we're able to get those wines at the same price I could purchase them for at a liquor store or online.

Literally the first red wine I had that I really enjoyed (I was "late" discovering my taste for wine) was at Ocean Liner's during a wine pairing meal. It was Château Lafite. Needless to say, by the time we returned a couple years later - gone was that wine as well as the harp... 😞

Tom

Wow!  What a good deal.  I haven’t heard of something similar on Celebrity.

On 2/9/2022 at 5:56 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

How would that work when I'm a "rare" and Cheryl is a M-well to well? I've always passed right over the beef "for 2" options on menus.

Tom

I would definitely ask them if they could accommodate both of you on this; it never hurts to ask, as all they can say is yes or no.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

🙂

Regarding the premium over land (sometimes 2-3x), I will say that one of the best things about our sailings on Carnival is that (in the Steakhouse, and now Rudi's on the Mardi Gras) on the first night and the first elegant evening (if they're still calling it that) is that all bottles of wine are 50% off. That often means that we're able to get those wines at the same price I could purchase them for at a liquor store or online.]

Tom

Would you mind giving me an idea of the relative food quality difference between Carnival's Steakhouse / Rudi's, compared to Celebrity? I have my first sailing with Celebrity and Carnival in the next two months and I'm pretty curious what to expect.

1 hour ago, brownc424 said:

Would you mind giving me an idea of the relative food quality difference between Carnival's Steakhouse / Rudi's, compared to Celebrity? I have my first sailing with Celebrity and Carnival in the next two months and I'm pretty curious what to expect.

It's been a few years since we've sailed with Celebrity, so it's difficult to compare the two (ask me again in a couple of weeks)! I will say that, at $38, the Steakhouse and Rudi's are a very good value. Rudi's (the new addition on the Mardi Gras) was a treat - with us dining in there nearly every other night... selection, presentation, and flavor. 🙂

Tom

I should have booked earlier.  I just checked at Murano first night is only available at 9pm.  Will other times open up, do you think?  Should we check on board?  There are good times available on the first sea day.  We just won't get the discount, which I'm not too worried about.

I did go ahead and book Murano for the first sea day.  So some here have said that's better than first night.

I booked Tuscan Grille for first night at 8pm so we can have a cocktail first and take our time.

Edited by zitsky

25 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I should have booked earlier.  I just checked at Murano first night is only available at 9pm.  Will other times open up, do you think?  Should we check on board?  There are good times available on the first sea day.  We just won't get the discount, which I'm not too worried about.

I did go ahead and book Murano for the first sea day.  So some here have said that's better than first night.

I booked Tuscan Grille for first night at 8pm so we can have a cocktail first and take our time.

They often block out times to allow for those purchasing dining packages.  So if you are interested in changing, you may be able to do so when  you arrive onboard.  Another possible factor is that there are fewer venues to use OBC such as excursions and people are booking specialty restaurants.  So there can be more demand taking place.  Enjoy!

On 2/7/2022 at 8:20 AM, zitsky said:

Is the dress code any different between the two?  I usually go with business casual, no jeans.

Official dress code for all Specialty are the same - Smart Casual even on Chic night.   Many of course Dress up for Chic nights and celebrate on the special night.

On 2/9/2022 at 11:36 AM, jagoffee said:

Never seen anyone wearing a Tux on a Celebrity cruise?  
I certainly concur that a tux on Chic night is not very common, I do not believe I have ever been on a Celebrity cruise when I did not see some people wearing tuxes.  (Maybe not on my Galapagos cruise)

What are the odds?
One of us must be exaggerating!

Yes, people wear a tux.  I've been on quite a few cruises and love it when I see/hear people say how nice my husband looks.  Besides, I love walking with a man in a tux!

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2022 at 10:36 AM, jagoffee said:

Never seen anyone wearing a Tux on a Celebrity cruise?  
I certainly concur that a tux on Chic night is not very common, I do not believe I have ever been on a Celebrity cruise when I did not see some people wearing tuxes.  (Maybe not on my Galapagos cruise)

What are the odds?
One of us must be exaggerating!

I was going to say the same thing…although not as common as it once was, I have seen at least one person in a tux or a formal gowns on every cruise I have ever been on and on every line, from Carnival to Seabourn.  I do enjoy people watching though (and I’m a fan of dressing for dinner every night). I guess we see what we want to see?

• 2 weeks later...

Murano would be my first choice because the food and service are better than Tuscan from experience. It's more elegant in style, and the food is lighter overall. The Tuscan Grill menu is heavier and has more hits and misses. I will agree that the lobster Alfredo in Tuscan is obscenely delicious, and you can order any pasta dish as a half order even to share. We also liked the fish dishes in Tuscan, where I had my favorite crab cake on the ship. I splurged for the upgraded steak in Tuscan on my last cruise early March in the Summit and was underwhelmed; a filet would have been better. Other solid choices: heirloom beets, cacio e pepe, fig gelato. Unremarkable were the eggplant parmigiana, crispy calamari, veal marsala, and tiramisu. And before all you die-hard Tuscan Grill fans take up arms with me, these are just my and my spouse's opinions. 🙂

p.s. Regardless of the restaurant, a neat collared shirt and long pants are fine in either on any night.

Edited by misterkevin
  • Like 1

Just got off Silhouette and ate at both.  Murano by a long shot.  We always go to Murano and decided to try Tuscan.  We would not go back.  It was average at best.  I would choose Lawn Club if you are looking for a second great meal but Murano is always our first choice at least once a cruise. 

• Like 2